Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Ender's Game (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Gravity (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Gremlins (Blu-ray)
$4.99
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Robots / Horton Hears a Who / Rio (Blu-ray)
$16.98
Reality Bites (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Goonies (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Weird Science (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Blu-ray)
$10.99
Robin Hood (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Madagascar: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.96
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Black Nativity (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Wii U

Old 02-16-2013, 02:43 PM   #1
Mad Scientist

Jun 2008
Milwaukee
Default Wii U connect to receiver for surround?

I'm not an owner yet, but will be getting the console for my daughter in the next week or so. I'm curious on how to connect it to my current setup.

From what I can tell online, there will be NO uncompressed format for the Wii U games. If that is true, then I don't see the purpose of connecting the Wii U > receiver(HDMI) > TV(HDMI)....correct?

Seems I could just connect Wii U direct to tv with provided HDMI, then use my current OPTICAL from TV to receiver for audio. Another nice reason for this is I have the option of using my receiver or just using the tv audio. As opposed to my setup with my PS3, I cannot view anything unless the receiver is turned on as the PS3 routes to the receiver before going into the tv.

If any current owners would share their setup, I'd love to know what you've done. Basically just attempting to see if I need to buy another HDMI cable before purchasing the console for proper setup.

Thanks.
I don't want you to be like the guy in the PG-13 movie that everyone's really hoping makes it happen. I want you to be like the guy in the rated R movie, you know, the guy you're not sure whether or not you like yet...you're not sure where he's coming from.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:30 PM   #2
Mad Scientist

Jun 2008
Milwaukee

really? No one?
I don't want you to be like the guy in the PG-13 movie that everyone's really hoping makes it happen. I want you to be like the guy in the rated R movie, you know, the guy you're not sure whether or not you like yet...you're not sure where he's coming from.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:49 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
Salt Lake City
Send a message via AIM to RaijinUT

Mine is Wii U>Receiver>TV all HDMI.

I tried out a Wii U to TV via HMDI then an optical out to the Receiver for you the other day... but I got tied up with other things and really didn't get a chance to give a total go around. Plus, my optical cord is breaking and was cutting out
"This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there"
A.K.A. Sweet John
PSN: RaijinUT, Xbox Live: I Raijin I, Steam: Raijin, Origin: Raijins, Wii U: Raijinslc
Mr. Beautiful's number 1 groupie and one proud Malamute owner
Old 02-18-2013, 09:51 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
Salt Lake City
Send a message via AIM to RaijinUT

There is only one method available to get 5.1 surround from a WiiU:

Connect your WiiU via HDMI to an AV Receiver or HTiB that supports LPCM 5.1. Then connect AVR/HTiB to TV/Monitor with HDMI.

Check this thread for more detail.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=500865
"This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there"
A.K.A. Sweet John
PSN: RaijinUT, Xbox Live: I Raijin I, Steam: Raijin, Origin: Raijins, Wii U: Raijinslc
Mr. Beautiful's number 1 groupie and one proud Malamute owner
Old 02-19-2013, 12:18 PM   #5
Mad Scientist

Jun 2008
Milwaukee

thanks for the info. I wonder now just how many games will actually support surround. As of now, I'm only planning on getting Mario U for the daughter, and Zombie U for myself

Since I already have my receiver routed into my tv, guess it won't be that hard to test both methods to see which is actually worth it. By "worth it", I mean if surround isn't that great, I don't want to turn on my receiver everytime we want to play a game. Unnecessary electricity!
Old 02-20-2013, 11:17 AM   #6
Mad Scientist

Jun 2008
Milwaukee

just picked up system last night. Hooked directly into TV via HDMI cable. Audio seems just fine through TV. Not even sure if Mario U has surround or not. Will probably mess with options of using receiver more on day off.

Was interesting to hear audio also coming from gamepad itself. Not sure if people are playing with that audio on or off, but created kind of a cool gaming experience hearing from both gamepad and TV.

Wish more people would chime in if they are routing Wii U through receiver first or just going direct to TV.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:42 AM   #7

May 2011
Astoria

I route ours through the receiver but have only tried it with all channel stereo and PL II Game setting.
We just got ours this week however and have not used it much or tweaked any settings.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:12 PM   #8

Jan 2009
SF Bay Area, CA

I have mine going through my receiver first for 5.1 PCM.
.....Xbox Gamertag: Delentheus // Playstation Name: Mutelight // Wii Code: 4967 3894 3623 9613
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Wii U