Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Attack on Titan Part 2 Limited Edition (Blu-ray)
$51.79
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Wrong Turn Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.97
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Willow (Blu-ray)
$12.36
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$172.59
Friday the 13th: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$75.49
Star Wars: The Clone Wars: The Lost Missions (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Nekromantik (Blu-ray)
$20.19
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
The Simpsons: The Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.96
Creepshow (Blu-ray)
$5.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 02-18-2013, 08:00 PM   #1
Blu-ray Guru

May 2008
Just Outside of the Alliance's Reach
Default Filling out 3.1 on a budget

Greetings All,

For starters, I apologize for even starting this thread, but after a couple days of reading through the threads here, I find myself completely overwhelmed with information and locked up on any direction to go in. I would hope my long time history here (feel free to check my thread starting history) buys me a little leeway. I adore this site and consider this the finest resource on the net, so I am biting the bullet and asking for help. I finally through a set of events in the past couple months that would leave you shaking your head at my poor decision making abilities jumped into getting some sound to finally go with my HD video set up. Rather than bore you with that tale, here's the pertinent things you need to know to potentially assist.

I am running with a Sony STR-DH520 Receiver, hooked up to a Sony SA-W2500 Sub, and (wait for it), a Vizio soundbar. Although it was a huge leap up from my tv speakers, obviously it just makes me want more. So, I want to replace the soundbar with a center and left/right. Everything is new, so jettisoning the receiver/sub is not an option. The particulars:

-Small room, 13' by 15' with open doors to the kitchen/hall
-Rears are not an option at this time due to a number of reasons
-VERY minimal space, so I would be looking at small speakers, probably to place on the tv stand.
-Similar minimal budget. Probably $350 would be my cap.

Questions:

-Am I going to see a significant sound improvement? (the sound bar is loud and.....well that's it. It's "settings" (truvolume, fake surround, etc.) drive me nuts.
-If this is a good idea at all, suggestions on what to buy would be AMAZING.

I'm sorry for the epic ignorance on my part, and thank you for your help. I trust this community a ton to point me in the right direction, even if that is to just keep the bar.

Here's a pic of the space I'm working with. (I'm about as talented a photographer as I am with audio)

"I'll be in my bunk."
Old 02-18-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2007
Daddyland

Given the limitations in your parameters (budget and room constraints) I think the best advice is to save your nickels and look to expand either your HT room or your HT budget--hopefully both. No sense in blowing your savings on a stopgap measure when what you really want is a decent system. That's how you ended up with a soundbar in the first place.
EyeSpeech: Speak Your Eye
B&W Speakers
: 802D | HTM1D | ASW-825 | N805 | SCM1
Amps: VAC Phi Beta 110i | Audio Refinement Multi-5 | Integra DTC-9.8
Display & Front End: Pioneer KRP-600 Kuro | Oppo BDP-95
Misc.: VPI Scout | PSA Premier | Electra Glide & Alpha Core cables
Old 02-18-2013, 09:38 PM   #3
Power Member

Sep 2009

Will replacing a sound bar with 5 individual speakers sound better? Yes! Can you find a surround speakers set within your budget? Yes! Will you eventually want to upgrade those speakers? Yes! Looking at the picture you provided and reading your description of the room I have to agree with Gremal and suggest you wait to do it right. I have spent thousands of dollars over the years upgrading and making bad/impatient choices because I had to have it now. I let my current budget dictate the choices I made. Even though it's frustrating and may not be what you want to hear I believe you should build your budget and wait to have what you want, not just what you can afford.
On a never ending mission to stop the spread of BS.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:14 PM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

May 2008
Just Outside of the Alliance's Reach

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. We only bought our current home a couple years back so it's going to be a few years before we potentially move into a larger house. I guess I'll just stick with the bar since you all think it's the best I can do with the space. Again, thanks for the advice.
"I'll be in my bunk."
Old 02-22-2013, 02:48 AM   #5

Jun 2011
Everett, WA
Default Another Opinion...

Xander,

Sounds like you have made up your mind and it is probably the best way to handle this situation. Based on the fact that you have hardly any room it may be best to wait till you have more space. Like moving this to another room or on a different wall.

That said, having at least the front three is WAY better than a sound bar. If you feel like you can swing it here are few suggestions that might work in you space/budget.

Energy Take Classic. Ebay and Newegg have some good deals. Here is one.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16882269004R

Klipsch Mini series (Quintet and RSX) like these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TWO-Klipsch-...item1c30365956

If that works for you, awesome. If you decide to wait and save and plan? Awesome.

I will say this. I have spent a lot of money on speakers and equipment (not as much as some) and it has helped figure out what I like and don't like. Kinda comes with the territory. Some find stuff that is soo awesome that I could only dream about owning and it lasts them a year and they decide they want something better. That is to say that buying and selling and trying is not necessarily a bad thing. I like to think of it as adding to my knowledge.

Best of luck to you!
TV/Bluray Player Panasonic TC-P55ST30, PS3 Slim 120 Gb
Receiver/Power Marantz SR5004, Yamaha M-45
SpeakersDali Ikon 1 front R & L, AV123 ELT Rocket center x2, Klipsch Synergy Quintets
Sub Klipsch RT 10D, RW 12D
HiFi Setup
Speakers: AV123 Rocket RS 760, Preamp: Marantz SR4023, Amp: Yamaha MX 800, Turntable: Project Debut III, Player: Elite DV-47Ai, Digital files: Vista machine using iTunes
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers