COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$37.99
Cannibal Holocaust (Blu-ray)
$25.78
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 Double Pack (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The Swimmer (Blu-ray)
$17.29
Mr. Peabody & Sherman (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Pacific Rim (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Jaws (Blu-ray)
$7.99
World War Z 3D (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Freezing: Anime Classics Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$22.99
House of Cards: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Lake Placid (Blu-ray)
$18.99
The Legend of Billie Jean (Blu-ray)
$5.19
Sleepaway Camp (Blu-ray)
$18.99
Ken Burns: The Roosevelts (Blu-ray)
$76.89
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$189.99
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Party (Blu-ray)
$17.49
On the Beach (Blu-ray)
$17.49
Dexter: The Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$15.49

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals > Retail/Shopping

Old 02-15-2013, 03:18 AM   #1
Expert Member

Jan 2012
Default Where the hell are 3D Deals?

With so many 3D movies getting released, its a shame that there are no good deals out there.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:27 AM   #2
Power Member

Mar 2010

They've actually gone up in price in the UK. The most you used to pay for a new release was 17.99, but now both Fox and Disney (and Sony depending on the title) new releases are over 20....
Old 02-15-2013, 11:36 AM   #3

Oct 2012

You are lucky. Here in Canada the 3d movies are 39.99$ and sometimes more!!!! If i go to Costco, sometimes they are 20$. It is ridiculous. It is expensive because in the box you get the bluray 3d, bluray, dvd and sometimes digital copy. If i want to buy a 3d movie, i just want the 3d movie that's it. Nothing else.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:28 PM   #4

Apr 2009
New Jersey

Yea.. its been a bit of a drought. I bought a bunch during the u&s @ best buy for $10 and $15.. but most of the time I end up paying $20 (Brave, Nemo, Wreck it Ralph, and hopefully Monsters Inc).

Def hope some sales starting popping up
Panasonic 55" VT50
Onyko 809
Fronts: Polk 70s, Surrounds: Polk 50s, Sub:PSW505, Center: Paradigm
Optoma HD33
Pioneer Elite BDP-62FD
(360, PS3, Wii, Wii U)
Xbox One
Old 02-15-2013, 12:56 PM   #5

Mar 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerzdawg View Post
Yea.. its been a bit of a drought. I bought a bunch during the u&s @ best buy for $10 and $15.. but most of the time I end up paying $20 (Brave, Nemo, Wreck it Ralph, and hopefully Monsters Inc).

Def hope some sales starting popping up
Agreed. January sales were dire or non-existent. I check the popular online stores almost daily and have noticed that the prices have gotten into a bit of a rut with the same old movies (Coraline and Shark Night) at bargain prices of around 5-6, the normal prices being around 12-17, and the Dreamworks movies still all over 20!!

What I find frustrating is that the prices are just so inconsistent. For example "My Bloody Valentine" has gone as low as 6 over at Zavvi but has now gone up to a variety of prices, some as high as 18. Is this a buyer's market or are we just witnessing the ludicrousness of some price mark ups? Its crazy, especially as all of these are online retailers so they must all share similar overheads.

Gae

Last edited by Gae; 02-15-2013 at 12:59 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:05 PM   #6
Special Member

Jul 2012
Wisconsin

Studios need to start selling these things out of their fully loaded combo packs (blu-ray 3d, blu-ray, dvd, digital copy, digital streaming). Honestly if I buy a movie in 3D I'm probably only going to watch the 3D Blu-Ray disc, especially if the film itself was shot in 3D because thats the way the director intended the movie to be seen.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:09 PM   #7
Expert Member

Feb 2012
Missouri, USA

@swordfish - I totally agree, such a waste. And the fact that some companies are starting to double stack the discs!! What kind of BS is that?

I've often thought about buying some casings and selling off the extra discs on Ebay, though I don't know the legalities of such a sale.....
Old 02-15-2013, 04:35 PM   #8
Banned

Jun 2009

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs is $4.97 at TigerDirect.com, and you can try price matching at Best Buy.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:06 PM   #9
Power Member

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gae View Post
Agreed. January sales were dire or non-existent. I check the popular online stores almost daily and have noticed that the prices have gotten into a bit of a rut with the same old movies (Coraline and Shark Night) at bargain prices of around 5-6, the normal prices being around 12-17, and the Dreamworks movies still all over 20!!

What I find frustrating is that the prices are just so inconsistent. For example "My Bloody Valentine" has gone as low as 6 over at Zavvi but has now gone up to a variety of prices, some as high as 18. Is this a buyer's market or are we just witnessing the ludicrousness of some price mark ups? Its crazy, especially as all of these are online retailers so they must all share similar overheads.

Gae
Pricing has NOTHING to do with the retailer, it is the supplier that decides the pricing, unless it is overstocks that the retailer is stuck with and had marked down to get rid of.

Most sale product however is sold to the retailer and the cost price of the item from the supplier will dictate what the retailer charges for it.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:46 PM   #10

Mar 2012

Really, are you sure about that? I used to work in retail and the shop that I worked for would buy the items bulk from the suppliers/manufacturer at their wholesale price. How we priced them to go out in the shop was down to the manager of the store. So long as the supplier/manufacturer got paid for their invoice at the wholesale price, they had no say on the matter.

Anyway, regardless of who decides on the prices, they are still up and down like a yo-yo.

Gae
Old 02-15-2013, 09:09 PM   #11
Power Member

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gae View Post
Really, are you sure about that? I used to work in retail and the shop that I worked for would buy the items bulk from the suppliers/manufacturer at their wholesale price. How we priced them to go out in the shop was down to the manager of the store. So long as the supplier/manufacturer got paid for their invoice at the wholesale price, they had no say on the matter.

Anyway, regardless of who decides on the prices, they are still up and down like a yo-yo.

Gae
I meant more that the cost price paid to the supplier for the item dictated the items retail price. If the retailer pays full price for something then so does the customer. If the retailers gets a discount, then MOST of the time that discount is passed onto the customers. Yes the retailer has some say, but it is still the supplier who holds the reins on the big drop sale items.

Things are very different these days with separate distributors taking on distribution of most goods as opposed to say Sony just shipping to the stores directly themselves. The last retail chain I worked for we would get new price lists almost daily from distributors changing cost prices of the same thing sometimes on a daily basis. One day something cost 10 to buy, the next it cost 5. It was very up and down and a pain in the butt because it meant pulling the more expensive version of something off the shelf and storing it somewhere until you had sold all the sale copies of that item.

Unless you're someone like HMV which tended to have the same items out at different places all over the store, because some ****** at head office wanted it that way in hope that someone would buy the more expensive copy to get a higher profit margin and then trying to explain to customers constantly the difference between a 1.99 copy of something and a 25 copy of something when it is exactly the same product. Seriously it's no wonder they went broke with the absolute muppets that used to run it.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:10 PM   #12

Oct 2011
St. Louis

The deals have been pretty lousy, I'm still wanting to pick up Frankenweenie, ParaNorman, and Hotel Transylvania is the price ever comes down. I just didn't see these as 29.99 movies.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:03 AM   #13
Special Member

Mar 2007
Minnesota

Yeah I only have 19 3D films and I've had to either wait a long time for the ones I want (like the Toy Story films. Got them for $20 each on Black Friday), or buy them in release week when they are on sale even if it hurts the wallet that week (Titanic, John Carter, Nemo). Most I've paid was probably almost $26 for 'Beauty and the Beast', but it was only my 3rd 3D film I'd purchased, and the first one I watched all the way through on my TV. Second was Tangled from Costco. $20

Best deal was Avengers. Long story short because of $20 price that got matched elsewhere by others and coupon lowered by me, Amazon refunded me $5 and I paid under $15 in release week. I also ran out to Target and got 2 more for each of my friends. They don't have 3D but they might someday so I convinced them they should get it now before it stays at $36 or more for a very long time.

Currently, $20 is my price point for 3D films. I'll go up to $23 in first week of release, but Finding Nemo is the only one I've had to for I think. Maybe John Carter or Titanic, but I had manufacturer coupons for both.
My (Modest) Home Theater:
http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gal...mber=obriensg1

"Something good. Something bad. A bit of both!"
Guardians of the Galaxy in IMAX 3D- August 1st
Old 02-18-2013, 10:18 PM   #14
Special Member

Oct 2011
Canada
Canada

If you order it today you can get Monsters, Inc. 3D for $22.99 from Bestbuy.ca!
27.99-5.00= $22.99 (Listed at $27.99 but you get $5.00 off when you preorder it online)

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...1e3487cf78en02
"Your Story may not have such a happy beginning, but that doesn't make you who you are. It is the rest of your story, who you choose to be..."

Favourite Movies By Year:
2009: Moon 2010: The Social Network 2011: Hugo 2012: Marvel's The Avengers 2013: The Wolf of Wall Street
Old 02-19-2013, 12:28 AM   #15
Power Member

Aug 2007
USA

The deals do happen if you're willing to wait. Through sheer patience I scored Transformers DOTM for 14.96 on Amazon.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:49 AM   #16
Expert Member

Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irrob View Post
The deals do happen if you're willing to wait. Through sheer patience I scored Transformers DOTM for 14.96 on Amazon.
No something is wrong....earlier there used to be tonnes of deals....now even BB is not giving up good deals on 3D...
Old 02-22-2013, 02:08 AM   #17

Jan 2013

there's a number of 3d blu-rays sitting at $19.99 on amazon and i have 22 dollars to spend.
which one should i go with!?

i only own prometheus/sharkboy and lava girl/spy kids 3/spy kids 4 so far but trying to build a collection, i'm a broke fool so it will have to be slowly haha. i've been renting them.

i was thinking journey 1 since it's the first time ive seen it at 19.99 in awhile and i haven't seen it yet.

imax: under the sea

dredd, which i've seen the normal version but not the 3d.

titanic, never seen either the normal or the 3d but i'm not sure if i feel like watching a slow romantic movie at the moment.

i just watched avatar recently so i would only grab that to add in my collection and wouldn't watch it for awhile.

which one to pick?

Last edited by explorer6; 02-22-2013 at 02:12 AM.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:53 AM   #18
Special Member

Jul 2012
Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer6 View Post
there's a number of 3d blu-rays sitting at $19.99 on amazon and i have 22 dollars to spend.
which one should i go with!?

i only own prometheus/sharkboy and lava girl/spy kids 3/spy kids 4 so far but trying to build a collection, i'm a broke fool so it will have to be slowly haha. i've been renting them.

i was thinking journey 1 since it's the first time ive seen it at 19.99 in awhile and i haven't seen it yet.

imax: under the sea

dredd, which i've seen the normal version but not the 3d.

titanic, never seen either the normal or the 3d but i'm not sure if i feel like watching a slow romantic movie at the moment.

i just watched avatar recently so i would only grab that to add in my collection and wouldn't watch it for awhile.

which one to pick?
I've heard some pretty good things about Journey so I'd be tempted at that one for $20.

Under The Sea is going to be short so I don't know if its even worth $20 with all of the other 3D movies that are out. Maybe I'd get it for $15 or so.

I loved the movie Dredd a whole lot but to be honest, for a film being shot in 3D, the 3D could have been better. But if you like the movie this is a great choice and the mediocre 3D makes it even better.

I would hands down pick Avatar because it probably has the best use of 3D in any 3D movie I've seen. But if you have just seen Avatar and want something new I think I'd pick Journey, unless you haven't seen Avatar in 3D. In that case pick Avatar and don't look back and you will be so glad you picked Avatar.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:53 AM   #19
Special Member

Feb 2012
Texas

Best Buy was having some really good sales on 3D that rotated the titles about every three weeks or so, starting back in about Sept/Oct timeframe. They were either $14.99 or $19.99... I picked up probably 30+ titles before Christmas, including several Disney like Lion King, Nightmare Before Christmas, Bolt, etc. But since the new year started, they pretty much have the same titles on sale with only 2 or 3 rotating out. I'm hoping they will start rotating more titles through, especially since my local stores have pages promoting 3D titles tacked up at some of the end caps.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:56 AM   #20
Special Member

Feb 2012
Texas

Green Lantern 3D is $19.96 at Amazon and $19.99 at Best Buy so there's another option.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals > Retail/Shopping