COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Ghostbusters Limited Edition Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Captain America: The Winter Soldier 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Sleepy Hollow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$34.99
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Rio 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Transformers Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.24
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Phantom of the Paradise (Blu-ray)
$18.99
The Originals: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Godzilla 3D (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Penny Dreadful: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$32.99
American Horror Story: Coven (Blu-ray)
$39.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 01-01-2013, 05:18 PM   #5501
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by zafisher94 View Post
I have a question, and I was hoping someone help elaborate.

This movie has X amount of frames in the finished version.

If this movie was filmed/projected in 48 fps, how does the projected 24 fps have the same run time? Wouldn't it take longer for the 24 fps projection to play that X amount of frames?

Is this a valid question, or am I simply over thinking?
The 24fps version shows every other frame.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:37 PM   #5502
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009
Jeffersonville, Indiana
Send a message via AIM to Propellarhead9 Send a message via Yahoo to Propellarhead9

It may have just been me but the 24 fps version looked really choppy during scenes with a lot of motion.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:42 PM   #5503
Special Member

Feb 2012
Freehold, NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post
The 24fps version shows every other frame.
ahh thanks, makes sense now
The Official Disney Animation Thread
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=195921
Old 01-01-2013, 07:08 PM   #5504

Jun 2009
SIN CITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propellarhead9 View Post
It may have just been me but the 24 fps version looked really choppy during scenes with a lot of motion.
for me it was always like that,in every movie.
that's were the 48fps shine,it looks much better than 24fps.I loved right away all the action scenes and "panorama"shots in 48fps ,but the "dialogue"scenes looked strange at first.(still)
I wonder if you can mix 24 and 48fps,and how would it look?
Old 01-01-2013, 08:16 PM   #5505

Jun 2009
SIN CITY

R.I.P Mike Hopkins

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...ns-dies-407156

Last edited by besi; 01-01-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:20 PM   #5506
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2012
Columbus, Ohio

I so wish Benedict Cumberbatch was a character other than Smaug and the voice of the Necromancer that interacts with Bilbo. I love the chemistry him and Martin Freeman have on BBCs Sherlock.

Who knows? Maybe the exchange between Smaug and Bilbo is made better because of that chemistry even though its only Benedict's voice. We shall see.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:39 AM   #5507
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by besi View Post
That is terrible terrible news. I cant even imagine what his family and Jackson and his crew must be going through. Not only was it a loss to life it was a loss to the industry. Man was an artist.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #5508
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008

A scholarly dissertation about why 48FPS unsettles some of us:

http://www.tested.com/art/movies/452...ct-perception/
Old 01-08-2013, 08:59 PM   #5509

Nov 2009
Edmonton, AB

Quote:
Originally Posted by raygendreau View Post
A scholarly dissertation about why 48FPS unsettles some of us:

http://www.tested.com/art/movies/452...ct-perception/
Good article, it pretty much hits the nail on the head. I'm still surprised when people say they don't notice the odd look of HFR; I wonder if they're the same people that leave frame interpolation on their displays and don't notice anything strange.

I had wanted to bring up the idea of variable frame rates but I don't know enough about the medium so I assumed it would be stupid to mention it, but I'm glad to read it is something that can be done and that it is being developed. I think those types of innovations will be the key - high frame rates during fast motion and slower frame rates when there is less, like at the beginning of the Hobbit - so it won't end up looking strangely sped-up in the slower parts. The only other way I could think of to offset that would be for the actors to slow down their movements or something, but that would probably look strange as well. I'm a bit concerned about the film-look of movies going away though; film grain and all being replaced by a hyper-clear reality - is that really the point of a movie?

Anyway it sounds like there may still be hope for each side to get their way: the tech-savvy and the artistic preservationists both.

Last edited by Starmartyr; 01-08-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:29 PM   #5510
Special Member

Jun 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starmartyr View Post
I'm a bit concerned about the film-look of movies going away though; film grain and all being replaced by a hyper-clear reality - is that really the point of a movie?
I watch movies for the story. I don't care all that much about how the director chooses to make it look. Film grain, crystal clear etc. just doesn't matter to me that much.

The only things that bothered me about the HFR were that a lot of scenes seemed like they were on 1.5 fast forward or something, and some of the sets/CGI effects looked fake.

If they can fix those two things, I'd be fully behind HFR.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:02 PM   #5511
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starmartyr View Post
Good article, it pretty much hits the nail on the head. I'm still surprised when people say they don't notice the odd look of HFR; I wonder if they're the same people that leave frame interpolation on their displays and don't notice anything strange.

I had wanted to bring up the idea of variable frame rates but I don't know enough about the medium so I assumed it would be stupid to mention it, but I'm glad to read it is something that can be done and that it is being developed. I think those types of innovations will be the key - high frame rates during fast motion and slower frame rates when there is less, like at the beginning of the Hobbit - so it won't end up looking strangely sped-up in the slower parts. The only other way I could think of to offset that would be for the actors to slow down their movements or something, but that would probably look strange as well. I'm a bit concerned about the film-look of movies going away though; film grain and all being replaced by a hyper-clear reality - is that really the point of a movie?

Anyway it sounds like there may still be hope for each side to get their way: the tech-savvy and the artistic preservationists both.
Yes. The variable frame rate could reduce some of the complaints about HFR. 24FPS for closeups and 60FPS for fast action.

I never experienced any "sped up" effect watching the film. That may be due to my using motionflow and cinemotion on my 3D TV for televised programs and Blu-rays. I suspect I have already been aclimatized to HFR as a result. I found The Hobbit in HFR more comfortable to watch in 3D, which is what Jackson was going for.

I think 2D and 24FPS will always be an option for those who can't or won't adjust to the high frame rate. I don't think HFR is going to go away and neither is 3D.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:02 AM   #5512
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2010
Knoxville,TN

I turned on the frame interpolation on my projector the other day while watching FotR just to see what it looked like, and to me it looked very similar to the HFR of The Hobbit. Not exactly the same, but very similar. I personally don't care for the way it looks. I prefer the motion judder and what I would consider an "etheral" quality of the 24fps image.

I could see 48~60fps working for a "real life crime drama" type movie, but to me personally, I think it actually detracts from the other-worldly fantasy vibe.
Joe
Old 02-18-2013, 10:29 PM   #5513
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2009
Northern Virginia I'm the Cosmic Champion and I hold a mystic sign.

I found this posted on another forum today and thought that it was pretty damn funny-

Quote:

Why Tolkien Nixed a Beatles Lord of the Rings

Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 3:37 PM

Matthew Schmitz | @matthewschmitz

In 2002, the internet was set abuzz by news that the Beatles had approached J.R.R. Tolkien about doing a film version of Lord of the Rings starring the Fab Four:

Once upon a time, the Fab Four—having slain the pop charts—decided to set their sights on the Dark Lord Sauron by making a Lord of the Rings feature, starring themselves. One man dared stand in their way: J.R.R. Tolkien.

According to Peter Jackson, who knows a little something about making Lord of the Rings movies, John Lennon was the Beatle most keen on LOTR back in the ’60s—and he wanted to play Gollum, while Paul McCartney would play Frodo, Ringo Starr would take on Sam and George Harrison would beard it up for Gandalf. And he approached a pre-2001 Stanley Kubrick to direct.

McCartney told Jackson about the failed scheme when the two bumped into each other at the Academy Awards: “It was something John was driving and J.R.R. Tolkien still had the film rights at that stage but he didn’t like the idea of the Beatles doing it. So he killed it,” Jackson told the Wellington Evening Post in 2002.

“There probably would’ve been some good songs coming off the album,” said Jackson.

That Tolkien didn’t care for the Beatles will come as no surprise to fans of either one, but Tolkien’s letters give us a hint that his opposition to the Beatles may have had a more personal dimension.

In 1953, Tolkien purchased a house on Oxford’s Sandfield Road, a cul-de-sac at the time of his move that later was opened to through traffic. In a 1964 letter to Christopher Bretherton, Tolkien complained about “radio, tele, dogs, scooters, buzzbikes, and cars of all sizes but the smallest” making noise “from early morn to about 2 a.m.”

“In addition,” Tolkien wrote, “in a house three doors away dwells a member of a group of young men who are evidently aiming to turn themselves into a Beatle Group. On days when it falls to his turn to have a practice session the noise is indescribable.”

Tolkien’s complaints about the “Beatle Group” are particularly striking given that he had purchased the Sandfield Road property to provide a quiet place for his ailing wife Edith. Tolkien wrote in a 1953 letter to his publisher that the move to Sandfield Road was prompted by “a doctor’s ultimatum” to find a house on “high dry soil and in the quiet.”

Tolkien’s annoyance at Sandfield Road’s first garage band is understandable. Yet if its practice sessions helped us avert the disaster that would have been a Beatles Lord of the Rings, we owe its anonymous members no small amount of thanks.

http://www.firstthings.com/blogs/fir...-of-the-rings/

And also this shot of Bree after a tsunami strike from the upcoming films-

[Show spoiler]

Old 03-01-2013, 01:57 AM   #5514
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Florida

Personally, I'm very happy about this. To me, this is a December franchise. It would have been weird to finish in the middle of Summer. Plus, it gives Jackson longer to work on "There and Back Again".

Third ‘Hobbit’ movie release moved from July to December 2014

Quote:
It has just been announced via press release that the third movie in the Hobbit trilogy, “The Hobbit: There and Back Again,” has been moved to a December 17, 2014 release date. Originally planned as a summer film, the move now mirrors the release of the three Peter Jackson directed Hobbit films with his also-directed “Lord of the Rings,” film trilogy. The second movie, “The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug,” is scheduled for a Dec. 13 release this year.

The shift makes the release consistent with the pre-holiday releases of the previous films pitting it in competition with two family friendly films, one a spinoff of “Despicable Me,” and the other from Pixar’s Brad Bird titled “Tomorrowland,” although those films will come two days later. It also moves the film away from competition of an X-Men film, “X-Men: Days Of Future Past.”

The bulk of all three films has already been shot with planned “pick ups” set for May which are expected to last for several weeks or even months. The first film, “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey,” has grossed nearly $1 billion world wide at the box office and $300 million in the U.S. The three movies are based on the book “The Hobbit,” by J.R.R. Tolkien, released 75 years ago.
"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis
Old 03-01-2013, 02:26 AM   #5515
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn84 View Post
Personally, I'm very happy about this. To me, this is a December franchise. It would have been weird to finish in the middle of Summer. Plus, it gives Jackson longer to work on "There and Back Again".

Third ‘Hobbit’ movie release moved from July to December 2014
I'd rather have it in July. Tradition is over-rated. I figure this could have some to do with the box-office of the first one. It was decent, but nothing to write home about. I wonder what is taking it's place?
Old 03-01-2013, 02:29 AM   #5516
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Florida

Quote:
I'd rather have it in July. Tradition is over-rated.
Far too hasty.

Personally, I'm of the mind that they never planned to release it in July. It always seemed like too little post production time for the last film.
"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Last edited by Aragorn the Elfstone; 03-01-2013 at 02:32 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:33 AM   #5517
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2009

Quote:
Far too hasty.

Personally, I'm of the mind that they never planned to release it in July. It always seemed like too little post production time for the last film.

Yeah, I'm sure this is for the better. I was just looking forward to a 7 month wait instead of a 12 month wait.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:51 AM   #5518
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2008
Send a message via AIM to Beast

Quote:
Far too hasty.

Agreed. I think it was just a placeholder date. Since the Extended Cuts usually take time to prepare.

Plus that would have only been 3-4 months between Theatrical and Extended Cut on Blu originally.
Bat-Mite: "Batman's rich history allows him to be interpreted in a multitude of ways. To be sure, this is a lighter incarnation, but is certainly no less valid and true to the character's roots then the tortured avenger, crying out for mommy and daddy."

Batman: The Brave & The Bold - Legend of the Dark Mite.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:34 AM   #5519
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2008
Default Hobbit Pt. 3 Delayed to December 2014

http://www.deadline.com/2013/02/the-...ember-17-2014/

Warner Bros has pushed the release date for The Hobbit: There And Back Again to December 17, 2014 from its original date of July 18, 2014. This is the final film in Peter Jackson’s trilogy adaptation of the JRR Tolkien novel. Hobbit 3 now avoids going up against X-Men: Days Of Future Past and so far is solo in the December 17th spot. The first film in the trilogy, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey has pulled in $300.9M domestically and $979.9M worldwide since it was released on December 14, 2012. The second installment in the franchise, The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug, will be released on December 13th.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:36 AM   #5520

Apr 2009
Virginia
Send a message via MSN to madmojo

I think this makes more sense anyway. It'll be like the LOTR trilogy was released now.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies