COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$158.69
The Vincent Price Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.49
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$64.99
Coraline (Blu-ray)
$19.70
Leprechaun: The Complete Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.49
Saw: The Complete Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99
Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$24.99
In the Mouth of Madness (Blu-ray)
$9.49
Hell of the Living Dead / Rats: Night of Terror (Blu-ray)
$16.49
Game of Thrones: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$39.96
The Amityville Horror Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$33.49
V/H/S/2 (Blu-ray)
$11.99
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Haunting (Blu-ray)
$9.49
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99
Maleficent (Blu-ray)
$19.99
V/H/S/2 (Blu-ray)
$13.49
Lost: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$19.50
Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Television

Old 07-08-2010, 03:48 AM   #1
Special Member

Sep 2009
Default Battlestar Galactica (1978)

Before BSG (2003) even came about, I couldn't wait till the original series came out on DVD in the early days of TV Shows on DVD. Bought the series, watched it through and loved reminesing about the nostalgia that it brought back from its original run and the few re-runs I saw over the years.

HOWEVER, after experiencing the new Battlestar Galactica, it is just painful to watch any of those old shows. I popped in The Living Legend (the original Pegasus episode) today for shits and giggles, and I'll tell you that I couldn't get through half the first episode. (It's a 2-parter.)

The biggest problem is the acting and the story lines. It seems the biggest concern in this episode was who's bangin' who. Starbuck and Cassiopia, or Adm. Cain and Cassiopia. If you thought nuBSG became too much of a soap opera in space at times, TOS wrote the book on that one, except going about in the classic '70s cheese way. At least Moore had sense to make Anderson a Cylon in nuBSG. LOL!
"In Brightest Day, In Darkest Night, No Evil Shall Escape My Sight, Let Those Who Worship Evil's Might, Beware My Power...Green Lantern's Light!
Old 07-09-2010, 03:44 AM   #2
Special Member

Sep 2009

What? No takers for some converse?
"In Brightest Day, In Darkest Night, No Evil Shall Escape My Sight, Let Those Who Worship Evil's Might, Beware My Power...Green Lantern's Light!
Old 02-04-2011, 01:34 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008

I wish they would bring the original series out on BD. They remastered it for DVD in 2004 so they should have HD ready material.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:00 PM   #4
Power Member

Jun 2008

I always say: each work of fiction (book, movie, TV series, etc) is a child of its time.

What was cool in the '70s isn't necessarily cool nowadays. We mostly keep very fond memories of the old series we liked to watch but only a handful can really withstand the test of time. I still think the original BSG series is a cool series worth owning, but it pales in comparison to the deep, social commentary loaded and character driven BSG of 2004.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:33 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008

I can't stand the Starbuck character in the new series.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:05 PM   #6
Special Member

May 2008
Socal

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDarren View Post
I can't stand the Starbuck character in the new series.
Yeah, me either. She was annoying as ****.

I too tried to rewatch the original series that I loved as a child and I just couldn't...
_____________ __________________________________________________ _____________
Pioneer KRP-600M
Region free oppo BDP-83
Pioneer VSX-1120-K
Polk Monitor 60s, Center CS1, Monitor 30s, Polk PSW110
APC H10
iRule on my iPhone4/iPad Mini to control it all
Old 02-08-2011, 03:50 AM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2009
Northern Virginia I'm the Cosmic Champion and I hold a mystic sign.

The thing that I remember most about this show, was that they filmed almost all of their SFX shots from the pilot episode, and after they kept repeating them for awhile, they then tried to fool us by showing the exact same scenes by using the old reverse mirror shot trick.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:37 PM   #8

May 2008
Michigan

Wouldn't it be fun for NBC to give classic BSG the same treatment that CBS has given Star Trek:TNG; eg. Opening up the vaults, finding all the original elements, recompositing and remastering for HD. I know it won't happen, but it would be cool. I've been revisiting my childhood with this series and, though it screams 70s, it does have a certain charm to it and the premise still holds up. I can dream, right?
The Star Wars Special Editions: Just 'cause you can, don't mean you should.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #9
Special Member

Jul 2011
Buffalofart, AK

It was a decent TV show for its time. Borrowed a LOT from Star Wars.

But yeah, it is horribly dated and is just awful when compared to the complexity and higher standards that the good modern sci-fi shows have.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:44 AM   #10

Oct 2012
Auburndale Fl

I love the original series and I hope it comes to Blu-Ray, I totally dislike the new version and I refuse to watch it after seeing the mini-series, come on Cylon's looking like people is just whatever that seems like a cheap way to not use Cylon effects and I don't like Starbuck being a woman which to me is an affront to Dirk Benedict.

Frack, Really?

I think Richard Hatch was wanting a new series so much he settled, even Dirk Benedict might have liked a show but I am guessing not that one since he had no part of it.
Body by Plymouth, Soul by Satan.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:01 AM   #11
Special Member

Jul 2008

Robotic cylons turned up a lot over the course of the new series, whenever they could afford to composite them in.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:40 PM   #12

Nov 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-man08 View Post
Wouldn't it be fun for NBC to give classic BSG the same treatment that CBS has given Star Trek:TNG; eg. Opening up the vaults, finding all the original elements, recompositing and remastering for HD. I know it won't happen, but it would be cool. I've been revisiting my childhood with this series and, though it screams 70s, it does have a certain charm to it and the premise still holds up. I can dream, right?
"Battlestar Galactica" was shot and edited on film. There's no need for recompositing effects shots. A straight transfer of the best surviving elements would do just fine.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:52 PM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011
Warsteiner Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by kngtmat View Post
I love the original series and I hope it comes to Blu-Ray, I totally dislike the new version and I refuse to watch it after seeing the mini-series, come on Cylon's looking like people is just whatever that seems like a cheap way to not use Cylon effects and I don't like Starbuck being a woman which to me is an affront to Dirk Benedict.

Frack, Really?

I think Richard Hatch was wanting a new series so much he settled, even Dirk Benedict might have liked a show but I am guessing not that one since he had no part of it.
Just ask Dirk about the new A-Team....he regretted doing the cameo....

I'd love the original BSG on BD, and while it is very dated...I'd still watch it for nostalgia. It's the first tv series I watched with my dad as a kid....
"Don't be stupid, this is way more entertaining than Hollywood's ever gonna be!" - Revy, Black Lagoon

"I'd buy that for a dollar!" - TV Show Host, Robocop

What really happened to Farscape!
Old 01-30-2013, 04:09 AM   #14

Jul 2007

would love to see the original BSG on bluray. Even for historic value the effects were done by dykstra who did the original star wars effects.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:01 AM   #15
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2011
UK

I remember watching the show when i was a kid.
Currently: Playing:Wolfenstein The New Order/Tomb Raider The Definitive Edition/Metro Redux/Destiny
Old 02-01-2013, 04:15 AM   #16
Special Member

Jul 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talyn View Post
Just ask Dirk about the new A-Team....he regretted doing the cameo....
He seems like quite the sourpuss in general.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:49 PM   #17

Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluskiff View Post
would love to see the original BSG on bluray. Even for historic value the effects were done by dykstra who did the original star wars effects.
Universal has HD masters of the show but they aren't pretty. All those classic 80's TV shows got HD transfers when they were re-mastered for DVD and the quality isn't great but it's okay. What I'd really like to see is the pilot telefilm on Blu-Ray. That one has elements that could be remastered for a spectactular Blu-Ray.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:17 AM   #18

Jul 2012
Default Original BSG movie on Blu Ray seen in advertisement!

After purchasing BSG: Blood and Chrome on Blu Ray. A flyer that came with the set, found on the inside of the Blu-Ray case proclaimed
"Battlestar Galactica - The original movie that launched a phenomenon! Own it on Blu-Ray High Def!"

The flyer has a picture of the Blu-Ray case with the original Vipers, Three original toasters firing weapons and the original BSG carrier in the background! Wow! When is this making it to stores/Amazon...

Hey, You. Dumbass... Yeah, you in the tank... You cosy in there?
They're f***ing with the wrong people
Old 02-21-2013, 10:29 AM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2012
London
-

i recently purchased the new battlestar series on blu (already owned them on dvd) so after finishing going through the series again i decided to work my way through the original battlestar and battlestar 1980 both of which i have not watched in about 5 years.

ive just finished watching the first 4 epidoses on disc 1, and can say that after watching new series its as cheesy as hell, but still good in a nostalgia way, reminds me of watching saturday nights when i was younger

there is no real sense of the end of mankind in the 78 series, the cylons loose a lot of the threat thay have in the reimagining.

my dad finds it hard to watch apollo now as he has richard hatch as a bad guy in his head all the time due to his role in new one lol.

the women are better though in the 78 series to look at lol. oh and the opening credits music is still the best.

id love for the entire 78 and 80 series to come out in one big set on blu.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:28 PM   #20
Special Member

Nov 2007

I've been making my way back through the Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Epic Series DVD boxset with my 10 year-old son. I watched the set when it first came out too, and I can say it must've not left too much of an impression because, holy shit, I don't think I would've dusted it off again if it did. Man, this show is terrible.

We just finished watching Greetings from Earth. It was two hours of sheer torture complete with bacterial hand-wrigging, dumbass Ray Bolger vaudville dancing and slapstick, and what just has to be Mel Brooks' inspiration for Spaceballs, the Eastern Alliance.

Whoa, nelly. With four more episodes of this and then the spectacularly bad Galactica 1980 to go, MST3K is alive and well in our home theater.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Television