Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Attack on Titan Part 2 Limited Edition (Blu-ray)
$51.79
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Willow (Blu-ray)
$11.12
Wrong Turn Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$9.99
White Christmas (Blu-ray)
$18.69
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.97
Fate/Stay Night: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$54.99
West Side Story (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$172.59
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$58.30
Nekromantik (Blu-ray)
$20.19
The Simpsons: The Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.96
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music (Blu-ray)
$17.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 02-22-2013, 04:14 AM   #17901

Jan 2012
N. Burbs, Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlafrenz View Post
I am really curious what in your AVR is causing the issue. It shouldn't matter if you are running optical, coax or USB to the DAC because all that is connected to the AVR is analog. It doesn't know any different or care for that matter. When you noticed that USB wasn't working, did you go back and try optical again? Have you tried any other connection out from your computer to the DAC to see if the issue is still present?
I'm sure it's a setting in my Denon. I was told SQ would be better bypassing the AVR so I"ll leave it as is.

I don't have an optical out on my laptop but I'm using it from my 790 to the DAC for cd playback.
Sharp 745 70" TV
Sony BDP-S790
Denon 3312 AVR, Emotiva XDA-2
Emotiva XPR-2,Emotiva XPA-3
Focal 726V,700CC,714V
Power Sound Audio XV-15
Harmony One
Monster HDP2500,Emotiva CMX6
Old 02-22-2013, 05:21 AM   #17902

Dec 2007

Quote:
I am really curious what in your AVR is causing the issue. It shouldn't matter if you are running optical, coax or USB to the DAC because all that is connected to the AVR is analog. It doesn't know any different or care for that matter. When you noticed that USB wasn't working, did you go back and try optical again? Have you tried any other connection out from your computer to the DAC to see if the issue is still present?
I ran into something similar ...the spdif was active - disabled it and boom! I got sound
Klipsch Cornwall L/R, Klipsch Heresy center, Definitive Technology BP2's (x4) rear, Wharfedale sw380 Subs (x2), SVS 16-46 CS (X2) 2-8 inch transmission line Subs (rear), Yamaha power Amps mx830 (x2), Adcom 5503 3 channel power amp, Behringer EP4000 Power amp, BD HTPC, Xonar Essence ST/H6 modified Burson Supreme Discreet Opamps, Da-lite 16:9 106" Screen, BenQ 3D Projector, LG 55 inch LED TV.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:19 AM   #17903
Special Member

Mar 2009
Orlando, FL GO GATORS

Could I use one of my channels or two from my xpa5 to power my epik sub?
Pioneer | Bowers & Wilkins | DefTech | Emotiva | JL Audio | Marantz | oppo | Panamax | Epik | Yamaha | Sony | Apple | Velodyne | Panasonic
Old 02-24-2013, 02:52 PM   #17904
Special Member

Feb 2010
Columbia, MO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockWave View Post
You could, but I wouldn't. The amp for the Epik's are much lager than what one channel from the XPA-5 provides. It would provide quite a load with the other speakers on there too.
-Speakers: Monitor Audio Silver RS8's, RSLCR, RSFX, Dual Epik Empires
-Powered by: Dual XPA-5's & MMC-1
-TV: Samsung 52" A750
-Sources: Pio Elite BDP-05fd, Toshiba HD-A30, XboX 360, DirecTV HD, HTPC, Music Hall MMF 5.1
-Extras: Music Hall 25.2 DAC, Goldpoint SA4, JoLida JD9, Harmony 1000, Panamax 5100 (x2), BFD Pro DSP1124P
-Cables: Blue Jeans, Audioquest, Monster, DIY Cat5, Belden, DNM
Old 02-24-2013, 03:26 PM   #17905
Power Member

Mar 2009
Far Southside Chicago (Orland Park)

Shockwave how about this.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-811
Old 02-24-2013, 04:55 PM   #17906
Special Member

Mar 2009
Orlando, FL GO GATORS

Thanks guys. I really don't want to spent anymore money if I don't have to.

If my sub makes a white noise sound and some popping its the amp right? I tried several different outlets and I never abuse this sub.
Pioneer | Bowers & Wilkins | DefTech | Emotiva | JL Audio | Marantz | oppo | Panamax | Epik | Yamaha | Sony | Apple | Velodyne | Panasonic
Old 02-24-2013, 04:56 PM   #17907
Special Member

Mar 2009
Orlando, FL GO GATORS

Quote:
You could, but I wouldn't. The amp for the Epik's are much lager than what one channel from the XPA-5 provides. It would provide quite a load with the other speakers on there too.
I know crazyblu has it like this I need to contact him and see what he did. I appreciate your input.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:55 AM   #17908
Special Member

Feb 2010
Columbia, MO

Quote:
Thanks guys. I really don't want to spent anymore money if I don't have to.

If my sub makes a white noise sound and some popping its the amp right? I tried several different outlets and I never abuse this sub.
Not necessarily. It could be getting that signal noise from another component. Have you tried different cables?

When do you have the noise? Is it still there when the sub is not connected to anything? Is it only when you are playing a source?
-Powered by: Dual XPA-5's & MMC-1
-TV: Samsung 52" A750
-Sources: Pio Elite BDP-05fd, Toshiba HD-A30, XboX 360, DirecTV HD, HTPC, Music Hall MMF 5.1
-Extras: Music Hall 25.2 DAC, Goldpoint SA4, JoLida JD9, Harmony 1000, Panamax 5100 (x2), BFD Pro DSP1124P
-Cables: Blue Jeans, Audioquest, Monster, DIY Cat5, Belden, DNM
Old 02-25-2013, 02:28 AM   #17909
Special Member

Mar 2009
Orlando, FL GO GATORS

Quote:
Not necessarily. It could be getting that signal noise from another component. Have you tried different cables?

When do you have the noise? Is it still there when the sub is not connected to anything? Is it only when you are playing a source?

I have tried different outlets and it happens when it's connect and disconnected. I tried everything that I could think to narrow down the problem with what I feel comfortable doing. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:16 AM   #17910
Special Member

Mar 2009
Orlando, FL GO GATORS

Just removed the amp and hooked each woofer to its own channel. It's working but not going to test everything until I get new terminals and everything. Hoping running a channel to each woofer will sound as good or better.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:30 AM   #17911
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2007
Caleefoahniuhh (as our old govunah would say)

Quote:
Quote:
Just removed the amp and hooked each woofer to its own channel. It's working but not going to test everything until I get new terminals and everything. Hoping running a channel to each woofer will sound as good or better.
I ran my MFW-15 sub this way for a while with my XPA-5, although I did at first have concerns about load. I figured I'd chance it in that if I were overdriving the amp then the protection circuit would kick in, telling me to NOT do this. That never happened, although I'm also not a "bass head" so I never run my subs hot, and I never get anywhere near ref level with movies. I had it like this for a bit until I finally went 7-channel and needed the channels back. I think you'll be fine, but just be cautious of running the subs too hot.

The question I have, however, is that the Empire is a sealed sub. Unless you already altered the terminals on the plate amp, how are you running the wire to the drivers?
Defeat of deduct must go over defense before detail does.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:43 AM   #17912
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2007
Caleefoahniuhh (as our old govunah would say)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluvette View Post
I've been eyeballing the SA1000 myself for a DIY sub, however Emotiva is also supposed to release an external subwoofer amp this summer (last I heard, anyway). I'm waiting to see what that one is about.
Defeat of deduct must go over defense before detail does.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:14 AM   #17913
Power Member

Mar 2009
Far Southside Chicago (Orland Park)

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_5ive View Post
I've been eyeballing the SA1000 myself for a DIY sub, however Emotiva is also supposed to release an external subwoofer amp this summer (last I heard, anyway). I'm waiting to see what that one is about.
Very interesting.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:44 PM   #17914
Special Member

Feb 2010
Columbia, MO

Quote:
I have tried different outlets and it happens when it's connect and disconnected. I tried everything that I could think to narrow down the problem with what I feel comfortable doing. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help.
Does the noise increase and decrease as you adjust the gain on the subwoofer accordingly?