COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Jurassic Park 1-3 (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$109.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
30 Minutes or Less (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Sleepy Hollow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Nutty Professor: 50th Anniversary (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Doctor and the Devils (Blu-ray)
$11.98
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Dukas: Ariane et Barbe-Bleue | Liceu (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Justice League: War (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Transformers Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.24
Pain & Gain (Blu-ray)
$10.18
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$34.99
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Spy Game / State of Play (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 02-24-2013, 01:47 AM   #1001
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2010
O H I O Steelbooks™: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieLovers View Post
Sorry it took me a couple of days to reply but I've been playing with the Oppo 103.
My first impressions was jaw dropping. First of let me just say that this is an upgrade from my PS3(fatty) and like some posted before, this Oppo just gunned down my PS3 and my Panasonic DMP-BMT 220(although I haven't used the panny much since it's in my bedroom).
The first night I just played around with different movie's but the second night(last night 2/23) was where this piece of nice machinery shined.
As all of you might know(or not) I have an 8 year old Yamaha HTiB reciever so I hooked the analog outs of the Oppo to my multi-channel connections on my Yammy.
I played a few cd's and it played them to a degree that my PS3 never did.
PQ is just simply amazing. My wife and I just couldn't believe how much better the picture looked. We looked at different scene's from Game of Shadows, Rambo, Seven, Alien, and The Bourne Ultimatum and all of those movies were sharp and just absolutely stunning.
SQ...all I have to say is that to finally have Dolby True-HD and DTS-HD MA sounds so clear, very detailed and fuller than my PS3 did(just to note, I did recalibrate my speakers with the Oppo using a SPL meter).
Look I can go on and on about the Oppo and I've read how people were saying that , "It makes you want to watch all of your movies again", "I'm seeing and hearing things that I haven't seen or heard before."
Well I was very skeptical about all of those comments(hype kills) but I can HONESTLY say that it's ALL TRUE.
I did encounter one problem and that was when I was trying to watch A Nightmare on Elm Street(1984). There seems to be a slight sync issue with the picture and the audio. The audio sounds great and is playing normally but the picture looks like it's moving at .5 fast forward speed(think PS3), but other than that no issues. I haven't hooked it up to try the networking so I cannot comment on that but, when I do, I will.
Oh yeah, I can watch a movie and don't need to use subtitles so I can read what they're saying instead of HEARING what they are saying. After using the DAC's in the 103, I'm interested in just HOW much better the 105 is. I don't think my current setup would do it justice so I'll have to wait until I can get a better speaker set.
Sorry that this turned out to be so long but this machine is INCREDIBLE. If you are interested in getting one, I highly recommend it based off of my experience with it(3 days in now) it's woth every penny and I don't think you will be disappointed, but take this with a grain of salt because I have no other experience with any other blu-ray player besides my PS3 and Panasonic 220.
That's it for now and tomorrow, I'm going to use the Spears and Munsil calibration blu-ray to use the Oppo to calibrate my t.v.(well attempt to anyway)
Congratulations and it's good to hear you enjoying your new Oppo piece of gear.
Display Samsung LN52A650 / Remote Logitech Harmony One
Audio Yamaha RX-A3010 / HTPC nMediaPC 2000 (3TB)
Media DirecTV HR-22 / Oppo BDP-103 / Oppo DV-983H
Front Mirage OMD-28 / Center Mirage OMD-C2 / Surround Mirage OMD-5
Subwoofer Power Sound Audio XV15 (BASH) / Power Monster SS 5100 MKII
Cable AudioQuest Carbon Chocolate Cinnamon Forest Vodka / Emotiva X-Series
Old 02-24-2013, 01:54 AM   #1002
Blu-ray Count

Apr 2012
Colorado, Where I started out with nothing...and I still have most of it.

Quote:
Sorry it took me a couple of days to reply but I've been playing with the Oppo 103.
My first impressions was jaw dropping. First of let me just say that this is an upgrade from my PS3(fatty) and like some posted before, this Oppo just gunned down my PS3 and my Panasonic DMP-BMT 220(although I haven't used the panny much since it's in my bedroom).
The first night I just played around with different movie's but the second night(last night 2/23) was where this piece of nice machinery shined.
As all of you might know(or not) I have an 8 year old Yamaha HTiB reciever so I hooked the analog outs of the Oppo to my multi-channel connections on my Yammy.
I played a few cd's and it played them to a degree that my PS3 never did.
PQ is just simply amazing. My wife and I just couldn't believe how much better the picture looked. We looked at different scene's from Game of Shadows, Rambo, Seven, Alien, and The Bourne Ultimatum and all of those movies were sharp and just absolutely stunning.
SQ...all I have to say is that to finally have Dolby True-HD and DTS-HD MA sounds so clear, very detailed and fuller than my PS3 did(just to note, I did recalibrate my speakers with the Oppo using a SPL meter).
Look I can go on and on about the Oppo and I've read how people were saying that , "It makes you want to watch all of your movies again", "I'm seeing and hearing things that I haven't seen or heard before."
Well I was very skeptical about all of those comments(hype kills) but I can HONESTLY say that it's ALL TRUE.
I did encounter one problem and that was when I was trying to watch A Nightmare on Elm Street(1984). There seems to be a slight sync issue with the picture and the audio. The audio sounds great and is playing normally but the picture looks like it's moving at .5 fast forward speed(think PS3), but other than that no issues. I haven't hooked it up to try the networking so I cannot comment on that but, when I do, I will.
Oh yeah, I can watch a movie and don't need to use subtitles so I can read what they're saying instead of HEARING what they are saying. After using the DAC's in the 103, I'm interested in just HOW much better the 105 is. I don't think my current setup would do it justice so I'll have to wait until I can get a better speaker set.
Sorry that this turned out to be so long but this machine is INCREDIBLE. If you are interested in getting one, I highly recommend it based off of my experience with it(3 days in now) it's woth every penny and I don't think you will be disappointed, but take this with a grain of salt because I have no other experience with any other blu-ray player besides my PS3 and Panasonic 220.
That's it for now and tomorrow, I'm going to use the Spears and Munsil calibration blu-ray to use the Oppo to calibrate my t.v.(well attempt to anyway)
Thanks for the feedback MovieLovers, I definitely am leaning towards the 103 for my next upgrade and now am waiting for a reply from Oppo customer service about a direct HDMI in-put from my laptop into the 103.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:37 AM   #1003

Mar 2012
5.1 St. and H.D. Blvd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicmonger View Post
Congratulations and it's good to hear you enjoying your new Oppo piece of gear.
Thank You. I'm very psyched about this beautiful piece of machinery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAZYKAT View Post
Thanks for the feedback MovieLovers, I definitely am leaning towards the 103 for my next upgrade and now am waiting for a reply from Oppo customer service about a direct HDMI in-put from my laptop into the 103.
Thank You. I think you will be just as happy with it as I am. If I remember correctly, there are 2 HDMI-input ports so you may be able to hook up your laptop to it.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:38 AM   #1004
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2008
Dantooine, I am on Dantooine.
Default Checking in

Hey there fellow Oppo owners.

I just wanted to stop by with a little FYI because I had seen a few posts about certain Universal movies not showing the pop up or sometimes the main menu.

I've been having this issue lately and what I've been doing is stopping the disc and letting it play all the way through the previews and get to the menus on its own.

The issue seems to be skipping past previews.

Anybody have any other news about this?
Old 02-24-2013, 02:52 AM   #1005

Mar 2012
5.1 St. and H.D. Blvd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Diamond View Post
Hey there fellow Oppo owners.

I just wanted to stop by with a little FYI because I had seen a few posts about certain Universal movies not showing the pop up or sometimes the main menu.

I've been having this issue lately and what I've been doing is stopping the disc and letting it play all the way through the previews and get to the menus on its own.

The issue seems to be skipping past previews.

Anybody have any other news about this?
I have the 103 and I have not had that happen to me. I was able to skip past the previews on The Bourne Ultimatum.
Do you have to do a firmware update?
Old 02-24-2013, 03:02 AM   #1006
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
San Antonio

Unfortunately for me, my PS3 stopped reading blu-ray movies in less than a year. I'm looking forward to buying the OPPO 103.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:09 AM   #1007
Special Member

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_squared123 View Post
Im really confused about two things here. One is the email from oppo which states the decoder for de-interlacing and scaling is the MediaTek Decoder " ....We use a MediaTek decoder for de-intetrlacing and scaling..." And a review done by about.com lists HDMI Output 1 using the QDEO decoder ".....Video processing and upscaling for HDMI output 1 utilizes Marvell QDEO Video processing, while video processing and scaling for the HDMI 2 output is provided by an OPPO/Mediatek chip...."

Whos telling the truth and who is lying?
The video processing in the 103/105 is primarily done on the MTK decoder chipset which handles the per-pixel motion-adaptive de-interlacing and advanced scaling transform, unlike the previous 93/95 which did all video processing using the Marvel QDEO chipset. The video output of HDMI-2 doesn't include what is part of the QDEO abilities such as:
  • 4K up conversion
  • Noise reduction - Per pixel compression artifact reduction removes artifacts inherent in digital video - Per pixel video noise reduction removes noise inherent in digital video
  • Enhancement - Adaptive Contrast Enhancement (ACE) and Intelligent Color Remapping (ICR) render rich and vivid images
Old 02-25-2013, 04:05 AM   #1008
Power Member

Mar 2007

Its simple, you have two HDMI outs

Video on HDMI 1 out is processed by the Marvell chip while all video on HDMI 2 out is handled by the custom Mediatek chip.
65" VT50 / BDT460
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
Old 02-25-2013, 09:16 AM   #1009
Special Member

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_squared123 View Post
" The video processing in the 103/105 is primarily done on the MTK decoder chipset which handles the per-pixel motion-adaptive de-interlacing and advanced scaling transform, unlike the previous 93/95 which did all video processing using the Marvel QDEO chipset. "

Is the Media Tek chipset inferior to the Marvel QDEO? Wouldnt it give results if the QDEO handled the de-interlacing and scaling? Just curious why you have Mediatek doing the work instead
The MTK SOC is not inferior, but lacks some of the abilities of the QDEO G2. It was simpler with the 103/105 design to utilize the MTK SOC to handle the deinterlacing and scaling now and let the QDEO handle additional video processing tasks. The MTK SOC performs the 2D to 3D conversion also.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:56 AM   #1010

Oct 2011
Winnipeg, Canada

I'm presently dealing with Oppo on an SACD issue, wondering if I'm alone or if anyone else has seen this occur on their 103: First, my firmware is up to date. In Oppo's menu I have settings for SACD - Multi Channel and it's delivering DSD. I have just started collecting SACDs since my Oppo purchase a month or so ago. I have at least 2 of these discs (they are hybrids, btw) that may or may not read as SACD. Sometimes the Oppo will pick them up as CD and play in stereo. I have to eject and retry a time or two for the disc to read right. At first I thought it could be on the receiver end (Yamaha RX-V671) but installed a new Pioneer SC-61 two days ago with the same issue. Perhaps a handshake glitch? Oppo doesn't seem to think so. They had me check the firmware first, apparently this was a problem on earlier firmware versions. Now they want me to send them the offending disc(s) and if they read fine there, I'd have to send my machine in. If they have problems as well, they could do something in a future firmware update. I'm going to spend the next couple weeks keeping closer tabs on how and when before I go any further. I consider this a minor annoyance and not sure at this point it's worth sending them discs or the machine. BTW, I only have 4 SACDs at present, the issue is happening on at least 2 of them (Dire Straits-Brothers In Arms and EJ-Madman Across The Water). Anyone else having a similar occurence they can relate?
"Drawn like moths we drift into the city"
Old 02-25-2013, 06:25 PM   #1011
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2008
Dantooine, I am on Dantooine.
Default Just asking...

Anybody see the benefits of this mod or is it just snake oil for a blu-ray player.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oppo-BDP-93-...21032045992%26

I ask because as a guitar player I know for a fact that changing certain components in my amps and pedals can change sound quality DRASTICALLY.

Quote:
I have the 103 and I have not had that happen to me. I was able to skip past the previews on The Bourne Ultimatum.
Do you have to do a firmware update?
I am completely updated.

Last edited by Lucy Diamond; 02-25-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:06 PM   #1012
Special Member

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Diamond View Post
Anybody see the benefits of this mod or is it just snake oil for a blu-ray player.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oppo-BDP-93-...21032045992%26

I ask because as a guitar player I know for a fact that changing certain components in my amps and pedals can change sound quality DRASTICALLY.

I am completely updated.
Its just a another get rich scheme that provides no benefits except to make your wallet lighter. For anyone interested in this ruse, I suggest you buy two in case the first one doesn't work!
Old 02-25-2013, 09:05 PM   #1013
Special Member

Sep 2009

It was noticed today that OPPO BDP-103 & BDP-105 are now listed as ROKU READY Products on the Roku web site against the Roku Streaming Stick.

Oppo sells a OEM bundle version for $49 at http://www.oppodigital.com/proddetail.asp?prod=RokuSSB
(requires serial number for your BDP-103/105 to validate your eligibility for the discounted bundle pricing)

Amazon is still selling the Roku 3400R Streaming Stick for $99

You can use a short 1 to 3 foot HDMI cable to move the Stick away from the player or use a monoprice HDMI angle adapter 90 or 270 degrees so that it doesn't stick out in the front of the BD player.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:32 PM   #1014

Feb 2009
Henrico, VA

I have to concur with MovieLovers. I bought the 103 back in October 2012 and regard it as one of the best home theater investments I've ever made. The performance is truly amazing! PQ is stellar! AQ is superb!

A couple weeks ago, I reconfigured my setup to have the 103 decode the audio rather than off board it to my receiver (there was a recent revision of the Dolby TrueHD codec that my Onkyo TX-SR608 doesn't handle well) and now my BDs sound even better (more balanced) than they did with my Onkyo decoding the audio.

Love, love, LOVE this machine! If you're on the fence about investing in the Oppo BDP-103, DO IT! You will NOT regret it!
"We can't all be lion tamers." ~T. E. Lawrence, Lawrence of Arabia
Old 03-02-2013, 05:01 PM   #1015
Blu-ray Guru

May 2009
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaCameron7320 View Post
A couple weeks ago, I reconfigured my setup to have the 103 decode the audio rather than off board it to my receiver (there was a recent revision of the Dolby TrueHD codec that my Onkyo TX-SR608 doesn't handle well) and now my BDs sound even better (more balanced) than they did with my Onkyo decoding the audio.
What did you set it to and are you still using HDMI out or using analog out or? It's not that Pioneer is having any problems decoding, but I've gotta believe that the OPPO does a better job.
loose="not tight", lose="can't find it, doesn't have anymore" or the opposite of "win".
their="belongs to", there="place", they're="they are", there's = "there is"
it's="it is", for everything else use "its"
then="after", than="compared with"
"a lot" not "alot"

A Guide to Spelling and Punctuation
Old 03-02-2013, 05:55 PM   #1016

Feb 2009
Henrico, VA
Default Onboard Decoding

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoetMB View Post
What did you set it to and are you still using HDMI out or using analog out or? It's not that Pioneer is having any problems decoding, but I've gotta believe that the OPPO does a better job.
Audio Format Setup > HDMI Audio > LPCM

As the manual explains, with this setting the player decodes the compressed audio bitstreams and then outputs the digital multi-channel Linear PCM to the receiver. I'm using a dedicated HDMI cable for audio with the dedicated HDMI Qdeo-upscaled video cable connected directly to the plasma HDTV (the Oppo's default "Split A/V" Dual HDMI Output setting under Video Setup). The analog outputs were an option for me, but I preferred to stick with HDMI for simplicity.

I think part of the reason the Oppo sounds better is its default Speaker Configuration set my FL and FR main speakers to "Small" as opposed to "Large" as I think my Onkyo's onboard Audyssey 2EQ Room Correction and Speaker Setup did. My Onkyo speakers are passable, but the FL and FR mains (though they're floor-standing towers) are hardly "large" (i.e., full-range) speakers.

And as much as I tax them with frequent, reference-level playback, they've certainly fatigued a bit; I'd noticed some distortion in recent viewings that having the player decode the audio has effectively eliminated. I also adjusted the subwoofer crossover from 80 Hz (THX) to 90 Hz to lighten the load on all seven speakers in my Audyssey DSX (front wide) setup.

Whether those changes are solely responsible, or they're aided by some unique characteristics of the 103's audio circuitry, I can't say. All I know is, the sound is more balanced, more rich, more immersive, and much more satisfying.
"We can't all be lion tamers." ~T. E. Lawrence, Lawrence of Arabia

Last edited by DanaCameron7320; 03-02-2013 at 11:53 PM. Reason: specificity
Old 03-03-2013, 06:29 PM   #1017

Sep 2010

The oppo is an awsome player, i have a question, is there a way to make the oppo not automatically play a disc? Thanks
HT~
PANASONIC TC-P50ST60, OPPO BDP-103D, ONKYO TX-NR818, PANAMAX MR4000, KLIPSCH RF-62's, RC-62, RS-52's, PSA TRIAX
2.1CH~
ADAM AUDIO F5's, EMOTIVA STEALTH DC-1, SVS SB-2000
Old 03-03-2013, 06:44 PM   #1018
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshjp View Post
The oppo is an awsome player, i have a question, is there a way to make the oppo not automatically play a disc? Thanks
Under Setup select Playback Setup and set Auto Play Mode to Off.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:10 PM   #1019

Sep 2010

Thanks, yea i tried that, but it doesnt work, its vary strange to me.
HT~
PANASONIC TC-P50ST60, OPPO BDP-103D, ONKYO TX-NR818, PANAMAX MR4000, KLIPSCH RF-62's, RC-62, RS-52's, PSA TRIAX
2.1CH~
ADAM AUDIO F5's, EMOTIVA STEALTH DC-1, SVS SB-2000
Old 03-04-2013, 02:43 AM   #1020

Oct 2011
Winnipeg, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshjp View Post
Don't put the disc in
"Drawn like moths we drift into the city"
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders