Best Blu-ray Deals

Black Friday Sale is Live, $3.99 Blu-ray Movies »
Now: Pacific Rim $3.96 (98% sold out)
Now: Star Trek Into Darkness $6.00 (68% sold out)
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Killing Them Softly (Blu-ray)
$3.99
31 min ago
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Blu-ray)
$4.99
3 hrs ago
12 Years a Slave (Blu-ray)
$6.96
9 hrs ago
American Hustle (Blu-ray)
$6.00
12 hrs ago
Breaking Bad: The Final Season (Blu-ray)
$9.99
6 hrs ago
Good Will Hunting (Blu-ray)
$3.99
14 hrs ago
The Rover (Blu-ray)
$6.96
9 hrs ago
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$9.00
11 hrs ago
Ender's Game (Blu-ray)
$6.96
9 hrs ago
Super 8 (Blu-ray)
$4.99
14 hrs ago
Escape Plan (Blu-ray)
$6.96
9 hrs ago
Prisoners (Blu-ray)
$7.99
4 hrs ago
The Legend of Hercules 3D (Blu-ray)
$6.96
9 hrs ago
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.99
6 hrs ago

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Plasma TVs

Old 02-26-2013, 04:43 AM   #501

Sep 2012
Santa Barbara, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick1ru2 View Post
You most likely had it and didn't notice it. I mostly see IR during commercials when there is a light background and a product in the center or when I do an anti image wipe. And I've seen the Viera logo IR when the TV is first on, and the screen is milky looking. I think it depends on several factors. Its usually when the room is dark, and the TV is first turned on, not warmed up. And its probably dependent on the brightness and contrast settings. I don't see it when the TV is warmed up though and it goes away quickly.
I think your're right. I now notice that the IR isn't noticeable on a dark background but it is noticeable on a white or bright background. And it did seem milky looking. So IR was there all along and I just didn't catch it since I was paying more attention to the great picture quality.
When I was a very small boy/
Very small boys talked to me/
Now that we've grown up together/
They're all taking drugs with me/
Old 02-26-2013, 04:56 AM   #502
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2009
The South

Milky is how I describe the Panasonic logo on the black background when the TV first is started. I've only seen it a couple of times though. The logo kinda smeared and the background like milk has been spilled on the panel.

I notice IR when I look for it. Like I do a wipe. Or I scrutinize the area where I know it happens. IR looks dark against a light background, which is ironic since its caused by light images.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:08 PM   #503
Special Member

Jun 2010

Yeah, IR mostly stands out on light backgrounds.

For me I was noticing it a lot watching basketball (light wood courts) and hockey (white ice)--Game HUDs where particularly noticeable on that.

For others who don't watch a lot of stuff with light backgrounds it will be much less of an issue since you won't see it unless you go looking for it, or occasionally during a commercial like the above user.

Just didn't work for me with the double whammy of long gaming sessions, hours and hours of ESPN, and things like basketball where I was noticing IR a lot during normal viewing. But for the average joe, IR will be an non-issue as they aren't viewing as much static image stuff for long stretches and probably won't notice IR unless they go digging for it with slides and screen wipes anyway.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:27 AM   #504

Jun 2009
SoCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Yeah, IR mostly stands out on light backgrounds.
Quote:
Milky is how I describe the Panasonic logo on the black background when the TV first is started. I've only seen it a couple of times though. The logo kinda smeared and the background like milk has been spilled on the panel.

I notice IR when I look for it. Like I do a wipe. Or I scrutinize the area where I know it happens. IR looks dark against a light background, which is ironic since its caused by light images.

Thats true. I only saw it when i put back the slides on. It was more apparent against white and red backgrounds. Nothing at all with a Blue or a Green slide. Guess the Red Phosphors are the culprits :P
Old 02-27-2013, 02:49 AM   #505
Expert Member

Jun 2012
Pennsylvania, USA
Send a message via Skype™ to ImStylinOnYaBro

EDIT: the first post was kind of a ramble.

tonight i went to watch a movie. i had my lights off to start, and cable wasn't working so it had a HDMI 1 info on the top left, i walked up about a foot from the tv and flipp the channel to HDMI 2 for the ps3. before the ps3 kicked on the hdmi info faded and i noticed IR of a box and faint faint lettering from the info that was posted on screen. I am beyond the 250 hour full screen break in period w/ no static images. the IR, what i think it was, seemed to fade away in about 2 or 3 seconds and then wasn't notiacable at all. When doing break in, about 10 hours into my tv one night, i had FX on all night for ufc, and noticed no IR. i dont notice it at normal viewing distance, nor have ever noticed IR when watching normal tv. I even remember checking real close when doing break in, when the show would go to commercial and the Fox, F, espn logos would dissapear. Do you think this was simply a case of it being noticed because i was directly next to the tv, and it had a matt black background which the white texted and box was placed on? any input or thoughts would be nice! i think im just worrying a bit since its a fairly new set yet.
TV: Panasonic TC-P60GT50
Sound System: Standard TV speakers
BD Player: 80GB PS3 & Orei BDP-M2 Multi Region BD Player
BD Steelbooks: 33
Steelbook Wishlist: Point Break(zavvi)
Digibook Wishlist: Driving Miss Daisy, North By Northwest, The Green Mile, Full Metal Jacket, The Big Lebowski

Last edited by ImStylinOnYaBro; 02-27-2013 at 02:58 AM.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:55 AM   #506
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImStylinOnYaBro View Post
so i went to watch a film tonight. i got home and had the lights in my room off, turned on the tv and the cable was out, so it was a black screen. and read the hdmi up in the upper left. i then flipped to the game input. i then flicked on my ps3. i noticed a small square while the screen was still black. it looked as though there was a bit of IR from the hdmi input info that came up in the upper left. this is the first time i noticed this. it took about 2 or 3 seconds to fade away . is this something to worry about? i am a bit over 270 hours of full screen content / slides from my break in period. i didn't notice this before, but it went away and was only noticable when i was RIGHT BY the tv picking my ps3 controller up. i took a closer inspection since i watched a lot of Fox over the weekend for racing. there doesn't appear to be any IR or burn in from those channels. Do you think this was only noticable because of the matt black screen background that was up at the time? it doesn't seem like there is ever any other IR, even when i first got my tv and watched FX for 3 hours during ufc prelims. any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.
that's standard. you WILL get image retention for a LOT of things. but it goes away within minutes of playing content. that's just the way of plasmas. it's PERSISTENT IR that you should be worried about
Old 02-27-2013, 03:01 AM   #507
Expert Member

Jun 2012
Pennsylvania, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
that's standard. you WILL get image retention for a LOT of things. but it goes away within minutes of playing content. that's just the way of plasmas. it's PERSISTENT IR that you should be worried about
yeah, it went away in seconds, not minutes. i just wanted to get some input, thanks for hte reply during shows, where its never a flat color background behind the logo, u dont notice it at all.

EDIT: by persistent do you mean the kind that lingers for a few hours on end before going away?
Digibook Wishlist: Driving Miss Daisy, North By Northwest, The Green Mile, Full Metal Jacket, The Big Lebowski

Last edited by ImStylinOnYaBro; 02-27-2013 at 05:15 AM.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:51 PM   #508
Special Member

Jun 2010

Yep. That's persistent IR. I was getting that on my UT50 as I regularly have it on ESPN all day, game for 4+ hours etc so I got some IR that was visible on light scenes even a day or two later. I did the break in slides for 100 hours before doing any of that kind of stuff.

But most will never get that. My usages just aren't suited to plasma unfortunately.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:16 PM   #509
Expert Member

Jun 2012
Pennsylvania, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Yep. That's persistent IR. I was getting that on my UT50 as I regularly have it on ESPN all day, game for 4+ hours etc so I got some IR that was visible on light scenes even a day or two later. I did the break in slides for 100 hours before doing any of that kind of stuff.

But most will never get that. My usages just aren't suited to plasma unfortunately.
yeah, i mix it up w/ channels too, its not the same one when i watch it because my shows vary day by day. im glad there isn't muchto worry about since it goes away in like 2 seconds and isn't noticeable unless i have a matt black input channel behind it.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:20 PM   #510
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Quote:
yeah, it went away in seconds, not minutes. i just wanted to get some input, thanks for hte reply during shows, where its never a flat color background behind the logo, u dont notice it at all.

EDIT: by persistent do you mean the kind that lingers for a few hours on end before going away?
yeah, persistent is the kind that takes hours or days to go away... (if it's really bad I've seen it take a month, but that's usually from abuse)
Old 02-28-2013, 01:36 AM   #511
Expert Member

Jun 2012
Pennsylvania, USA

eek, another hting i just noticed. during the slide break in, you have the natural hum of hte tv and at times it would have like a crackling hum for a few seconds whilst the colors changed. i just noticed about 3 or 4 seconds of that hum while my tv is off....wtf? this normal or harmful? i feel like im getting paranoid cuz of noticing that slight natural IR yesterday >_<

Last edited by ImStylinOnYaBro; 02-28-2013 at 01:38 AM.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:00 AM   #512
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2009
The South

Quote:
eek, another hting i just noticed. during the slide break in, you have the natural hum of hte tv and at times it would have like a crackling hum for a few seconds whilst the colors changed. i just noticed about 3 or 4 seconds of that hum while my tv is off....wtf? this normal or harmful? i feel like im getting paranoid cuz of noticing that slight natural IR yesterday >_<
My TV has zero hum.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:11 AM   #513
Expert Member

Jun 2012
Pennsylvania, USA

Quote:
My TV has zero hum.
i've just recently ended the break in and this is the first time , where my laptop is, that im not watching a video/listening to music/running a slide show. although, im not sure its normal that it makes that noise while the panel is off and just plugged in the wall?
Old 02-28-2013, 02:20 AM   #514
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2009
The South

Quote:
i've just recently ended the break in and this is the first time , where my laptop is, that im not watching a video/listening to music/running a slide show. although, im not sure its normal that it makes that noise while the panel is off and just plugged in the wall?
Go over to the AVS forum and post, those guys can tell you if its something to worry about or not.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:12 PM   #515
Special Member

Jun 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
yeah, persistent is the kind that takes hours or days to go away... (if it's really bad I've seen it take a month, but that's usually from abuse)
I've never liked the use of the term "abuse" in that context.

It's not abuse to watch a lot of sports or news if that's what's one interested in. It's not abuse to play a game for several hours several times a week if one is a hardcore gamer.

Abuse would be doing something out of the norm that could be damaging to any type of TV--things like using them in extremely cold or hot conditions, getting them wet, cleaning the screen with something abrasive, getting them wet and other extreme things.

The problem is plasma TV technology just has the drawback of IR from prolonged displaying of static images that make them not a good choice for some people who watch the same channels a ton, or play a ton of games etc. That doesn't mean those people are abusive with their TVs, it means that plasma is just a flawed technology that thus isn't suitable for everyone.

I recommend plasmas to videophiles who's main TV use it watching Blurays. For most others I don't think the IR usage, power consumption, risk of annoying buzz it's is worth the chance since most people don't really care much about PQ and are more likely to get IR than the videophile movie buffs on sites like this one. And it can be hard for the average joe to get good TV recommendations on sites like this or AVS as the active posters tend to be fanboys of plasma or LED/LCD or even of specific companies (and some posters are probably company schills) so it can be hard to get good, honest advice on what type of TV is best for your needs/usages.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:27 PM   #516
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2009
The South

I watched RedZone every weekend, no issue with permanent IR. NFL Network, depending on the show can leave IR, and the same with CNN and ESPN but this is the thing...that info is looped. How many times do you need to read the same thing over and over? Just zoom the picture when you've read everything. Problem solved.

Heck, Pandora may even be ok for short periods of time, it has a screen saver of the album on a black background. Only issue seems to be the album takes the same path each time around it seems, that may cause an issue over time.

Last edited by slick1ru2; 02-28-2013 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:30 PM   #517
Expert Member

Jun 2012
Pennsylvania, USA

i went to avs and someone suggested it could possibly be some subtle noises as the tv cools down after use. i think that is reasonable , because i did have it on for a short period before i heard those sounds. Late at night after it was off for hours, i didn't notice anything.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:46 AM   #518
Special Member

Jun 2010

Quote:
I watched RedZone every weekend, no issue with permanent IR. NFL Network, depending on the show can leave IR, and the same with CNN and ESPN but this is the thing...that info is looped. How many times do you need to read the same thing over and over? Just zoom the picture when you've read everything. Problem solved.

Heck, Pandora may even be ok for short periods of time, it has a screen saver of the album on a black background. Only issue seems to be the album takes the same path each time around it seems, that may cause an issue over time.
I'm not a videophile so I'd rather just give up some PQ that I don't care that much about than have to hassle with zooming pictures and losing OAR, worrying about pulling all nighters when I get a new game due to IR potential etc.

In my view, one should never have to alter viewing habits, butcher things with zoom etc. due to a flaw in a TV that makes it not suitable to their usages. If one's usage involves a lot of static images, plasma just isn't the best option. Period.

If one has a lot of static image viewing and also wants top notch PQ for blurays, then that's a tough situation. If one has the space and money I'd suggest getting an LED set for video games, ESPN etc. and a plasma for Blurays and varied TV watching. But a lot of people (myself included) can't swing that in the budget or house space.

Space is more the issue as only my living room has the space for a big screen and I'm not interested in gaming, watching sports etc. on anything under 50". But again, moot for me since I'm perfectly happy with the LED I ended up with (should have just waited for a deal on it to begin with it instead of jumping on a cheaper plasma deal first) since I don't really care about the lesser black levels, don't really notice motion blur or soap opera effect that people post about etc.

To each their own though. And this is a site for movie buffs who are videophiles primarily obviously given that it's a bluray site. So I am a bit of misfit here since I"d be fine with something cheap like a Westinghouse if I wasn't worried about higher failure rates.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:47 AM   #519
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2009
The South

I enjoy a rich picture which plasma is better at doing. That being said I am nowhere near as anal as a lot of people on this website when it comes to PQ. They attack streaming content as if it were 240p YouTube offerings. They are like rabid dogs at the mention of NetFlix, Hulu, Roku, etc.. Its like they can see every line, count every pixel.

The content that really seems to shine was the Universal Monsters Blu-rays in black and white. Just jaw dropping.

But all the rest of my TVs are LCD so I am not biased against them at all.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:31 PM   #520
Special Member

Jun 2010

Agreed. I love the streaming stuff and buy less things because of it as, with not being a videophile, there's not a lot of incentive to buy a disc copy of something I can stream whenever I want. So I mostly just buy major new releases since those take for ever to come to streaming (and some never do).
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Plasma TVs