Best Blu-ray Deals

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Guardians of the Galaxy 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Deadwood: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$58.99
Treme: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$64.99
Entourage: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$96.99
Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$89.99
Rise of the Guardians 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Big Hero 6 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Maze Runner (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3D (Blu-ray)
$69.99
Fairy Tail: Part 13 (Blu-ray)
$31.69
Dragon Ball Z: Season 8 (Blu-ray)
$25.89
White Christmas (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Rocky: Heavyweight Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 02-24-2013, 11:08 PM   #3241
Power Member

Jan 2009
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWaffle View Post
References to poetry and Star Wars again? As someone with an academic background in poetry, you're making my ears bleed more than when my eyes bleed from reading sh!tty poetry.
But like with all the Greats, when it comes to poetry, there is so much going on in those films because they're dense.
Don't like it?
Don't buy it.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:31 PM   #3242
Special Member

Oct 2010
Columbia, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolithium View Post
But like with all the Greats, when it comes to poetry, there is so much going on in those films because they're dense.
I'm not familiar with all the Greats, so I can't debate. I would argue that density has multiple connotations, some of which I believe apply to Lucas. I'd also suggest that sometimes density is a euphemism for clutter. For kicks, check out Ezra Pound's vast recommended revisions to and criticisms of his (friend and protégé) T.S. Eliot's "The Waste-Land". His shrewd and sometimes brutal comments and extensive recommended edits improved one of the 20th Century's most highly regarded and historically dense modern poems. Such critical input could possibly have helped Lucas revise his "poems."

Keep in mind, this is not to say I don't enjoy the PT, flaws and all (yep, I own 'em). I do, but I would argue that outside of areas production they range from artistic failures to missed opportunities.

Anyhoo, time for me to take a break from SW: The Poetry Debate (which must be boring to most and pretentious to all). Just pop in the discs and enjoy them in the ways you do.

Samsung C630 55" LCD TV | Oppo 93 Blu-Ray Player | Pioneer SC-65 Receiver
PSB Imagine T-2, C Center & Image S5 Surround | BIC America V1220 Subwoofer
Mac mini (2012) iTunes Server | Arcam rDAC | Seagate 4 TB External Drive
Apple TV 3 | iPad 4 | Logitech Harmony Remote 700
[Xbox 360 | Xfinity X1]
Old 02-26-2013, 12:10 AM   #3243
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2009
Northern Virginia I'm the Cosmic Champion and I hold a mystic sign.

More from marketsaw-

Quote:
Monday, February 25, 2013

Exclusive Update: Alfonso Cuaron Lining Up For STAR WARS Ep VIII? Simon Pegg Going STAR WARS On Us?

You all know by now that we have some great sources embedded in key franchises - one of which is the mighty STAR WARS universe. Well the same source that gave us the exclusive that the third STAR WARS trilogy is going to happen, in 3D, without Lucas directing, that it will focus on the Skywalker offspring, and that the trilogy will follow in the original trilogy's tone is back.

So what's cooking now? How about Alfonso Cuaron getting up close and personal? I mentioned Episode VIII, but it could be Episode IX as well (or both for that matter). I would LOVE to see a STARS WARS movie directed by Cuaron. So many people are going to have the light turned on as to how brilliant a director he is after they see GRAVITY this year.

Anyway, I won't further spoil the spy info - so read on and we'll discuss afterwards!

READ ON...

As far as I know Episode 7 was then, and is now, focusing on the Skywalker's offspring. As I told you before, I believe duel personalities develop, akin to Anakin and Obi Wan, and Luke and Vader in the first trilogies, which as far as I am aware, is the driving force behind the new trilogy. Things may change however, but I doubt it, this has been long in the making.

The focus is on the original trilogy in regards of reverence and tone. Remember I told you before that the tone was important, well I believe they are really taking that seriously. From everything I know, they're focusing on that directly. Remember everything has the ability to change drastically, as Star Wars right now apart from the twin trilogies is a huge blank canvas. However, the trilogies ongoing narrative will continue to focus on that particular branch, whereas the stand alone movies, will fill and expand the voids in between in multiple timelines, and have potential to then be franchised themselves in regards to the worlds they open up.

Yoda, Palpatine, Jabba, Boba, Plagueis etc.

I believe they are very clued into what fans would and wouldn't like, and considering Mr Ford himself may not be done with his character yet, I wouldn't start picketing Lucasfilm about young Han Solo movies being made just yet. Which I was led to believe couldn't be further from how they want to move forward creatively anyway.

Harrison Ford has been approached, he has not turned it down, and is from everything I hear, very interested in returning to the role of Han Solo again, but is not signed as was reported recently. Negotiating may be a better choice of words right now. Hope it shakes out.

Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher were also approached a long time ago, as was ford, and a few other key players. I would all but guarantee, they will be in Episode 7, and I would be confident that Ford will return too. If the universe aligns correctly.

J.J. Abrams name was brought up to me numerous times, but only in reference to re-brand and ground up respect for world building that the franchise was looking to take back then. Very sneaky. Interesting to see he was offered the most coveted and feared gig in cinema history. Ultimately he is the perfect choice to direct episode 7, and set up the franchise to steward through the first trilogy. The names I mentioned to you before, remember them (EDITOR'S NOTE: my source's director list can be found here).[/COLOR] Alfonso Cuaron especially. Trust me.

J.J. Abrams mystery cube or whatever he is calling it today, is in full effect, Star Wars news is going to be very thin on the ground for the foreseeable future, but expect Simon Pegg to be involved in some capacity. Can't say why, but lets just say I have a strong feeling about that.

Star Wars fans, Kathleen and J.J have your interests at heart.

So, very interesting!! And what is Simon Pegg doing with STAR WARS? Ideas? Is he jumping with Abrams in some fashion? Clearly he is deep in STAR TREK but being the miracle worker that Scotty is, apparently Pegg is needed in the STAR WARS universe as well!

And Cuaron? Hopefully that happens. As of right now it is in the works, so fingers crossed! More exclusive STAR WARS, AVATAR and HOBBIT info when I get it!
http://marketsaw.blogspot.com/2013/0...l#.USv4mlcwFAI

I seem to remember that there was a Star Wars VIII thread around here somewhere. If so, can a mod please merge it with that one if it still exists please.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:36 AM   #3244
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2010
Orange County, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy12 View Post
More from marketsaw-

http://marketsaw.blogspot.com/2013/0...l#.USv4mlcwFAI

I seem to remember that there was a Star Wars VIII thread around here somewhere. If so, can a mod please merge it with that one if it still exists please.

Hmm...curiouser and curiouser...
"Movies can and do have tremendous influence in shaping young lives in the realm of entertainment towards the ideals and objectives of normal adulthood."
Walt Disney

Follow me:
Twitter: @pj_campbell/Instagram: pj_campbell/Podcast: Reel Film Chatter
Old 02-26-2013, 01:22 AM   #3245
Expert Member

Sep 2008
United States of Love

As long as there is no character who's description is listed anything like "animated comic relief"... I will be very happy!

EDIT: And while i'm at it... no CG main characters at all!
Seeking: Best Buy Exclusive Dark Knight Rises Steelbook. PM me.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:53 AM   #3246
Expert Member

Mar 2011

Just cast the ST actors and be done with it.

Too much crossover! World colliding! Boundaries blurring!
"Grow up. These are my movies, not yours." - GL
Obi-Wan steps on a Lego
Old 02-26-2013, 01:58 AM   #3247
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2009
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy12 View Post
Alfonso Cuaron Lining Up For STAR WARS Ep VIII?
Now that would be an awesome Star Wars film.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:00 AM   #3248

Jun 2011

I'd l

Last edited by BJ Blazkowicz; 10-12-2013 at 03:37 AM.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:41 AM   #3249
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2008

Alfonso Cuaron directiong Ep VIII = SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY

I think he'd do for this trilogy what Kershner did for the OT with TESB. I think I see what Disney is going for, as far as mirroring the OT's themes. JJ's intro will lay out the playing field, will be somewhat light in tone, and a blast to watch (ANH), Cuaron will take us into the depths of despair and drive the stakes even higher (ESB), and whoever directs EP 9 will just have to wrap it all up and give us a memorable climax (ROTJ).
Big Tits Zombie

-Action

No synopsis for Big Tits Zombie.

(don't think it needs one, fellas. Pretty self explanatory.)
Old 02-26-2013, 04:54 AM   #3250
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCT View Post
Alfonso Cuaron directiong Ep VIII = SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY

I think he'd do for this trilogy what Kershner did for the OT with TESB. I think I see what Disney is going for, as far as mirroring the OT's themes. JJ's intro will lay out the playing field, will be somewhat light in tone, and a blast to watch (ANH), Cuaron will take us into the depths of despair and drive the stakes even higher (ESB), and whoever directs EP 9 will just have to wrap it all up and give us a memorable climax (ROTJ).
Not a huge fan of Cuaron. I thought he garbled the whole point of Azkaban. Everyone oohs and aahs over the visuals, ask those who haven't read the books why it is reasonable that young Harry thinks he sees his father at the end, you won't get any sound at all...just a puzzled look. Cuaron has time to show a tree killing a bird in one of the more WTF moments in recent fantasy filmmaking, but doesn't have time to properly set-up the ending of the film.

Also, allegedly, the kids hated working with him, which is why he wasn't invited back.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:08 AM   #3251
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009
Trapped on the Death Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Rister View Post
Not a huge fan of Cuaron. I thought he garbled the whole point of Azkaban. Everyone oohs and aahs over the visuals, ask those who haven't read the books why it is reasonable that young Harry thinks he sees his father at the end, you won't get any sound at all...just a puzzled look. Cuaron has time to show a tree killing a bird in one of the more WTF moments in recent fantasy filmmaking, but doesn't have time to properly set-up the ending of the film.

Also, allegedly, the kids hated working with him, which is why he wasn't invited back.
I thought Prisoner of Azkaban was one of the better done Harry Potter movies. I disliked all of them except that one and Deathly Hallows.
"You might not be able to fight like a samurai, but you can at least die like a samurai." O-Ren Ishii

PSN: Emperor_Keyser
Old 02-26-2013, 05:31 AM   #3252

Sep 2009
Central Coast, NSW, Australia

Quote:
As has been mentioned publicly Cuaron was unable to commit to the schedule because final touches were still being put to Azkaban (released end of May '04) when Goblet of Fire commenced filming (April '04). He wasn't able to commit to pre-production of one film while still in the midst of post-production on another.

Regarding holes created due to the excision of large portions of the story in order to make the film a decent run time, all the Potter films suffered from this to an extent. Similar criticisms could be levelled and the other directors as well as the screenwriters, producers and Rowling herself.

I personally find Cuaron managed to tap a perfect middle ground between the lighter nature of the first two films and the darkness of what was to come and for that it seems a very well rounded film. John Williams also seemed to work well with him creating what is in my opinion not only the finest score of the franchise but also one of Williams' finer scores of his career. If Cuaron does indeed take the reigns on a future Star Wars film I'm very keen to hear of what Cuaron's storytelling approach might inspire Williams to create, assuming of course that Williams is either interested or around to score them.
LATEST FOR SALE ITEMS:
Epic (US BD/DVD/UV) $10. New/sealed. Price includes shipping anywhere in Australia!

--| Sale/Trade thread - Steels & regular Blus! ...big update June 8! |--
Old 02-26-2013, 01:45 PM   #3253
Special Member

Oct 2010
Columbia, MD

For kicks, just saw this. Rancor one-off, anyone?

http://bitcast-r.v1.iad1.bitgravity....ZZ672C2D0F.jpg

Samsung C630 55" LCD TV | Oppo 93 Blu-Ray Player | Pioneer SC-65 Receiver
PSB Imagine T-2, C Center & Image S5 Surround | BIC America V1220 Subwoofer
Mac mini (2012) iTunes Server | Arcam rDAC | Seagate 4 TB External Drive
Apple TV 3 | iPad 4 | Logitech Harmony Remote 700
[Xbox 360 | Xfinity X1]
Old 02-26-2013, 02:31 PM   #3254
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2011
UK

Quote:
That's not true - they loved him, Watson especially. Any interview where he's brought up they rave about him in a way I haven't heard them do with Columbus or Newell. The main attraction seems to be that they were at the turning point in their adolescence and Cauron understood that and treated them more like adults and serious artists than they were treated on the previous two films.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:19 PM   #3255
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Ackerman View Post
That's not true - they loved him, Watson especially. Any interview where he's brought up they rave about him in a way I haven't heard them do with Columbus or Newell. The main attraction seems to be that they were at the turning point in their adolescence and Cauron understood that and treated them more like adults and serious artists than they were treated on the previous two films.
Azkaban was a transitional film for the trio, because under Columbus, they were treated as children, with multiple takes upon takes, with the director giving them line readings -- in effect, they weren't acting, they were doing imitations. Cuaron, however, expected them to act, and he treated them like actors and it was a transition for them, and not always a smooth one. Of course, I've also heard that Mike Newell's bombastic and aggressive style was an issue, as he was even harder on them than Cuaron.

Anyway, my issue with Azkaban remains...unless you've read the book, Harry's statement that he saw his father comes out of nowhere. It's the central emotional moment in the entire story -- how much screentime could it possibly take to explain that Harry's father could shapeshift into a deer? Movies are an assemblage of choices, every shot is a choice, every line of dialog a choice. The decision not to explain why Harry thinks he saw his father is, for me, akin to cutting the moment at the climax of Star Wars where Luke hears Obi-Wan and decides to turn off the computer and use "the Force". The end result would be the same - Luke blowing up the Death Star - but all the poetry and meaning would be gutted. It's that important. If Cuaron can miss something so essential to the story, then tone and style be damned, it's the story that suffers, and Cuaron was at the helm and he made the choice to let it happen.

So while everyone else seems to be excited at the prospect of Cuaron directing a new Star Wars film, I remain wary, because for me, story is everything in these films. Storytelling and writing sank the prequels. I want great scripts and great storytellers tackling Star Wars, not stylists. Cuaron has a visual motif in Azkaban that runs throughout the movie, with his camera passing through panes of glass and mirrors. It looks great, it calls attention to the director (look at me, Ma!), but what does it have to do with the story? Style without substance is a white elephant. Give me substance, great storytelling and narrative coherence any day.

Last edited by Ernest Rister; 02-26-2013 at 03:35 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:25 PM   #3256
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2011
UK

Quote:
Azkaban was a transitional film for the trio, because under Columbus, they were treated as children, with multiple takes upon takes, with the director giving them line readings -- in effect, they weren't acting, they were doing imitations. Cuaron, however, expected them to act, and he treated them like actors and it was a transition for them, and not always a smooth one. Of course, I've also heard that Mike Newell's bombastic and aggressive style was an issue, as he was even harder on them than Cuaron.
Every interview I've seen/read about his style though says it was really appreciated by the trio. And this includes interviews from when the film was first out right up to one done during all the retrospective look-backs at the films when the final film came out. The three loved that they were bieng treated like actors, and as adults - especially Watson (who I'm certain listed Cuaron as her favourite of the directors). I'm not saying that transition was always smooth but it was favoured by the kids and certainly the rumour that "the kids hated him" is untrue hyperbole.

EDIT - This isn't where I read Watson talking about Cuaron (I'm sure it was in an Empire interview) but whatever I read there was similar to this -

Quote:
“Well, I shouldn’t say I have a favorite director—that wouldn’t be very diplomatic,” said Watson. “But one of the people I enjoyed working with most was Alfonso Cuarón [who directed Watson in the third Potter film, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004)]. I have a real thing for Mexican directors. And I love Guillermo del Toro and Alejandro González Iñárritu.”

Last edited by Buddy Ackerman; 02-26-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:58 PM   #3257
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2009

Everything I've ever read and seen points to great affection from the cast to Cuaron. They all seem to appreciate him pushing them and coaing them out of their shells. Newell on the other hand while appreciated seemed to slightly overwhelm and annoy.

As for him not returning to GOF, if I'm not mistaken, he was one that entertained the notion with Heyman of splitting GOF. I'm not a fan of what Newell did with GOF so I would love to have seen what Cuaron would have done with the material split or no split. He was asked to come back, but couldn't commit to the schedule nor the undertaking for a second time. POA, shortcommings aside, imo the film perfectly captured the magic and atmosphere of the world. Something that I feel was completely sapped out by DH Part 2. God almighty, Yate's Hogwarts was so bland. It was just one brown/grey block hallway after another.

Last edited by Cook; 02-26-2013 at 09:11 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:48 PM   #3258
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Great White North

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD2Blu View Post
Seriously, while this youtube clip make me laugh everytime I see it, now I can NOT watch any movies with shia in them. I never noticed this on my own until I watched these clips and I will never be able to shake this "trigger". Its going to pull my focus out of EVERY movie he is in from now on.
Sorry that last vid made me think of this awesome fan made montage of Vader.

TIL ALL ARE ONE THEATER
Projector: PIONEER FPJ1 (JVC RS2 Clone) 1080P LCOS
Screen: 106" EluneVision 16:9 (White) - 1.2 Gain
Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR705
Blu-ray: Sony Playstation 3 - 60GB
Power Protection: APC Smart-UPS 1500
Universal Remote: URC RFS200 PowerPak Bundle w/ MasterControl RF20 and PowerBlaster
SVS 7.2 SURROUND SOUND: Fronts & Surrounds: SVS SBS-01 / Center: SVS SCS-01 / Subs: SVS PB10-NSD
Old 02-26-2013, 10:35 PM   #3259
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2007
Kuala Lumpur, MY

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWaffle View Post
For kicks, just saw this. Rancor one-off, anyone?

http://bitcast-r.v1.iad1.bitgravity....ZZ672C2D0F.jpg
Maybe a Sarlacc pit one-off. That could take 1000 years of the timeline.
SONY BDP-S7200 | SONY PLAYSTATION 3 | MARANTZ SR5007
PANASONIC VIERA TH-P65ST60K | KEF LS50 ANNIVERSARY MODEL | SVS SB13-ULTRA
MERLIN | AUDIOQUEST | QED | SUPRA | THE CHORD COMPANY
DARBEE DARBLET DVP5000 | LOGITECH HARMONY TOUCH + PS3 ADAPTER
Old 02-27-2013, 02:02 AM   #3260
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2012
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilallr1 View Post
Sorry that last vid made me think of this awesome fan made montage of Vader.

Star Wars: No Easy Way Out - YouTube
The prequels do have a purpose after all, they were needed to make that awesome video!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Tags
star wars