COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$64.99
Coraline (Blu-ray)
$19.70
Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$24.99
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$39.96
Maleficent (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 9 (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Lost: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$19.45
Doctor Who: The Complete Eighth Series (Blu-ray)
$64.96
Vikings: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Transformers: Age of Extinction 3D (Blu-ray)
$26.99
24: Live Another Day (Blu-ray)
$29.99
War Horse (Blu-ray)
$9.99
A Nightmare on Elm Street Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Race to Witch Mountain (Blu-ray)
$8.99
American Horror Story: Coven (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Lincoln (Blu-ray)
$15.61

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Construction

Old 02-27-2013, 12:28 AM   #41
Blu-ray Archduke

Feb 2008
Near Atlanta GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Vinyl View Post
I thought it did as well!
Must be why you are a moderator.
AL
“If at first you don't succeed, try something easier.”

Sharp Quattron LC-70LE735U Oppo BDP-103 Pioneer Elite CLD-79 Darbeevision DVP-5000
Denon AVR-4311ci, DR-M10HX Monster HTS-5000 Outlaw Model 750
Klipsch Forte II, RC-62 II, IW-100, KSB 1.1
Velodyne VA 1012 Hsu Research ULS-15 Triple Drive
Old 02-27-2013, 12:34 AM   #42

Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post
Must be why you are a moderator.
I'm still trying to figure out why they asked me!
John - I love the smell of vinyl in the morning!
My personal motto: "Live Life! Leave A Legacy!"
I reserve the right to post as a member. When I post as a Moderator I will select a color depending on my mood!
AudioQuest - Genesis - Jolida - McIntosh - Mogami - Nitty Gritty - Nottingham - Ortofon - PS Audio - Rega - Valab/King - Wave Acoustic
Old 02-27-2013, 12:39 AM   #43
Blu-ray Archduke

Feb 2008
Near Atlanta GA

Quote:
I'm still trying to figure out why they asked me!
Cause you are a good man and a very good role model. Good luck sleeping this evening.
AL

Sharp Quattron LC-70LE735U Oppo BDP-103 Pioneer Elite CLD-79 Darbeevision DVP-5000
Old 03-02-2013, 05:07 PM   #44

Oct 2007
Virginia Beach, VA

Hi John,
This thread is great and got me thinking a lot. It awakened an idea in me to move my 2ch rig into my living room as well. I'm gonna try to implement it so I can use it for 2ch listening and movies. With that move I should be able to get the room needed for the proper speaker placement.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:27 AM   #45

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reference View Post
Hi John,
This thread is great and got me thinking a lot. It awakened an idea in me to move my 2ch rig into my living room as well. I'm gonna try to implement it so I can use it for 2ch listening and movies. With that move I should be able to get the room needed for the proper speaker placement.
Hi Reference,

Sorry for the late reply, but I haven't checked into this thread for some time. However, the change is now getting close and I should have it all in place the week after next. There is a lot of stuff to move, and I have a bad back, so it's going to be about being careful.

I think moving your rig into a larger space would certainly benefit those gorgeous speakers. I imagine that much like my Genesis', the 800D's would love the extra space.
I reserve the right to post as a member. When I post as a Moderator I will select a color depending on my mood!
AudioQuest - Genesis - Jolida - McIntosh - Mogami - Nitty Gritty - Nottingham - Ortofon - PS Audio - Rega - Valab/King - Wave Acoustic
Old 04-23-2013, 05:36 PM   #46

Jul 2007

Ok...so the move has begun and I'm pumped to get it all set up properly and tweaked within the next 2-3 days. You may think that's a long time for a move, and it is, if that is all I was doing. But I've decided to repaint my LR, and I might do the kitchen as well, but I'm not sure yet. I'm also doing a bit of general spring cleaning, which adds to it all. Also, I am by myself and have a bad back, so I need to take things more slowly and have frequent breaks.

As I mentioned in my HT Gallery thread, I have decided NOT to have the equipment rack in the DR area as it would be too tight. I'm afraid of bumping into it and with a turntable on top of it I don't want to take any risks.

I still need to get another Ikea Expedit unit as I'm tired of having a bunch of milk crates with LP's in them scattered all over the place. Hopefully I can find some time on Friday to go there.

I'll keep you posted as to my progress.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:04 PM   #47
Blu-ray Archduke

Feb 2008
Near Atlanta GA

Quote:
Ok...so the move has begun and I'm pumped to get it all set up properly and tweaked within the next 2-3 days. You may think that's a long time for a move, and it is, if that is all I was doing. But I've decided to repaint my LR, and I might do the kitchen as well, but I'm not sure yet. I'm also doing a bit of general spring cleaning, which adds to it all. Also, I am by myself and have a bad back, so I need to take things more slowly and have frequent breaks.

As I mentioned in my HT Gallery thread, I have decided NOT to have the equipment rack in the DR area as it would be too tight. I'm afraid of bumping into it and with a turntable on top of it I don't want to take any risks.

I still need to get another Ikea Expedit unit as I'm tired of having a bunch of milk crates with LP's in them scattered all over the place. Hopefully I can find some time on Friday to go there.

I'll keep you posted as to my progress.
What.....no progression pics in here either?
AL

Old 04-25-2013, 12:21 AM   #48

Jul 2007

Quote:
What.....no progression pics in here either?
Here ya go buddy! Only one pic for now, but I know you wont rest until I posted one.

I tried to take the pic from roughly the same distance as what will be the seating position, which is roughly 9' back from the front of the speakers. They are placed 3' from the front wall and 22' from the side wall and Expedit unit. I have about 1/4" of toe-in. I'm not normally a fan of toe-in, but it works well with the Genesis'.

The frames you see will be hung above the TT and each speaker. I decided to go with a Beatles print, as the SRV print is too big length-wise. I'll be moving my PC desk shortly, which will go on the other side of the Expedit unit, and I have some wall art for that area as well.

I've played a few tunes and it sounds nice, but I haven't really tested it out. That will come when I'm finished with the room tomorrow. I have to tell you that I love the larger space for the gear and the depth of the seating position. This is going to be fun! My savings account is running a little thin, so I'm not sure if I can get everything I want before the weekend, but my summer bonus isn't far off.

Been so busy I forgot about dinner. Time to make a sandwich at least!

IMG_0108.jpg

The Tweeter is really dark and blends in with the front piano-finish baffle (?) so you can't see it. It also might appear that the right speaker is slightly more forward, but that isn't the case. I checked and re-checked all of the various measurements and they are bang on.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:30 AM   #49
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2010

Looking good John!
Old 04-25-2013, 05:11 AM   #50
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada

Yup it is looking good and already you know how better they're going to be, some space to open up a bit, louder isn't necessarily better many would argue but I believe in a good minimum of power to drive all speakers well (Ok not all, like 100dB designs, but hope you get my drift ) Built-in subs I've heard usually mix better together at better volumes, maybe not these.

Tomorrow some serious auditioning, that should be nice, do have your laptop with you, I wouldn't mind a few posts or PMs
Old 04-25-2013, 07:52 AM   #51

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by aces high View Post
Looking good John!
Thanks Andrew! It looks a little cold and bare at the moment, but I'll be addressing that part of the changeover after the physical setup is complete. I'll be painting the seating area of the LR today, and thankfully it won't be as much work as the front part and DR area. I'm going to give it a different colour to add some oomph, as there is a little too much taupe/beige for my liking.

Now that I have the system where I want it, I think I'm finally ready to address the acoustics with some panels. I need to start doing some research on that and find out what would be most effective for my situation. I have other plans as well, but I don't want to get too far of myself for now.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:01 AM   #52

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post
Yup it is looking good and already you know how better they're going to be, some space to open up a bit, louder isn't necessarily better many would argue but I believe in a good minimum of power to drive all speakers well (Ok not all, like 100dB designs, but hope you get my drift ) Built-in subs I've heard usually mix better together at better volumes, maybe not these.

Tomorrow some serious auditioning, that should be nice, do have your laptop with you, I wouldn't mind a few posts or PMs
Hi Pat! As you know I'm not a loudness guy, but now having the ability to open them up a little more is something I will no doubt appreciate from time to time. So far the little McIntosh 122 at 80wpc has worked very well, and I'm hoping it'll hold it's own once I give it more volume. It should as I can never go nuts anyway living in an apartment.

I hope to sit down and get at least an hour or so in by day's end tomorrow. The more serious portion will begin on Friday, and then of course Saturday as well. And yes, I have my laptop and will set it up so I can come online while listening.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:25 AM   #53
Blu-ray Archduke

Feb 2008
Near Atlanta GA

Very nice John....very nice. Those babies are going to be able to really sing now. Have you at least thought about a medium sized Persian rug to place between the speakers and your listening position?
AL

Old 04-25-2013, 12:01 PM   #54

Jul 2007

Quote:
Very nice John....very nice. Those babies are going to be able to really sing now. Have you at least thought about a medium sized Persian rug to place between the speakers and your listening position?
I certainly have buddy! I actually have 2 of them already (both 5x8), but I need a larger one (6x9 or even 7x10)). I might pick that up tomorrow. I also want to get a smaller one for in between the speakers.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:25 PM   #55

Jul 2007

Since I don't have the second Expedit unit yet I thought I would improvise for now, so I can have my newer vinyl handy. There are another 6 crates in the old 2CH room and 4 more in my storage closet. Once I get the second Expedit the crates are gonna be history!

In the pic you can see the Genesis speaker boxes and my PC desk fits perfectly in between. I don't have room in my storage closet for them, or anywhere else, so this was the only alternative. I think if I get some tablecloths or something like that to drape over them, it won't look too bad. Wish I had another choice, but I don't.

Oh, and look at the gloss of those speakers. Beautiful finish!

IMG_0110.jpg
Old 04-25-2013, 01:30 PM   #56

Jul 2007

Time for a break!

Phase 2 of the LR painting is about to commence. Put all of the stuff on my "catch-all" TV stand in boxes and moved them and the stand into the other room. Only thing left in the room is the couch, which is staying. I didn't realize how much work this actually is. Gotta think about the finish line though!
Old 04-25-2013, 01:46 PM   #57
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2008
Alexandria, VA

it's looking great JV. can't wait to get your review of the system after you've had some listening time later this afternoon/evening! watch your back old man or heed the advice of my grandpa:

"when you can't move it with the hips, you gotta move it with the lips!"

i currently move it with, both!

keep us posted buddy.
55" Sony SXRD KDS-A552000 1080P
PS3 Slim & XBOX 360 Elite, Wii, iPhone5 64gb
iPad4 64gb, AppleTV-hdmi, NAS-1tb, Oppo BDP-105D, 105, 93 & 83 players
Onkyo PR-SC5507P Pre/Pro; TX-NR525 Harmony 1, SB-Touch, Axiom Spkrs M80v3, VP180v3, QS8v3, QS4v3 M2v3, Front 3 Bi-Wired! Emotiva XPA-5, UPA-2, UPA-200, & mini-x Amps, XDA-1DAC, X-Ref 12 DSP Sub & Ultra Subs 12 Polk Audio SDA-2, Monitor 10 & Monitor 5Jr speakers
NY GIANTS!
Old 04-25-2013, 02:02 PM   #58
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2011

That look's nice John , now me and Pat just need to find sometime to get there for some beers .
Old 04-25-2013, 02:06 PM   #59

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
it's looking great JV. can't wait to get your review of the system after you've had some listening time later this afternoon/evening! watch your back old man or heed the advice of my grandpa:

"when you can't move it with the hips, you gotta move it with the lips!"

i currently move it with, both!

keep us posted buddy.
Haha! Never heard that expression before! Cool!

And yeah...easy does it. Said I was gonna take a break, but continued on....now however, I'm sitting down for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almadacr View Post
That look's nice John , now me and Pat just need to find sometime to get there for some beers .
Maybe this Summer or early Fall. You guys are welcome any time!
Old 04-25-2013, 04:34 PM   #60

Jul 2007

I'm moving a little slower today.....really tired and sore. Got everything taped though and ready to go. Shouldn't take long once I get going.

Thought I'd take an hour or so and listen to some tunes. Played some Supertramp (LP), Dire Straits (LP), Mike Oldfield (LP), Keb' Mo' (SACD), Billy Joel (SACD). The room is empty and bare, but I already know once I'm done and it's properly furnished the new setup is going to rock. The open and larger space is already paying major dividends. There is no constraint and the music seems to flow better. It's more natural sounding and enveloping.

I'm pretty happy with this decision so far!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Construction