Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
The Addams Family (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Willow (Blu-ray)
$10.01
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
Van Damme 5-Movie Action Pack (Blu-ray)
$45.99
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.92
Begin Again (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Blu-ray)
$10.39
Hentai Prince & the Stony Cat: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$35.98
Sherlock: The Complete Seasons 1-3 (Blu-ray)
$136.29
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 12-27-2012, 06:23 PM   #301

Dec 2012
Minnesnowta

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFelon View Post
I don't believe any US Sony Blu-Ray players can play 50i content.
Damnit. Well, before my return timelimit is up, I want to get one that fits my requirements, preferably from Best Buy.

I have looked at the models in this thread, and they all seem to be out-dated? Of all the models listed on Best Buy, most of them do not even appear on this thread. Is there a newer thread with updated models?

I need a blu ray player that can convert the 50hz to 60hz internally so that I can play blu ray disks and dvd's with the Europe specs. This means I want it to play NTCS and PAL and automatically convert it out to NTCS standards for use with my samsung UN46EH6000 TV.

Also, I need it to be a smart device to stream movies and music.

Ideally I would like it to have a USB port too so I can play movies and stuff from my thumbdrive.

Lastly, I would like to be able to crack it so it is no longer regionally locked.

Does such a device exist?

Last edited by polarisn1; 12-27-2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:51 PM   #302
Super Moderator

Jul 2006
Gilead

Has anyone tried the Orei M1 or M2 players? Supposed to be fully region free and support PAL/NTSC but can't find specific info about 1080i50 > 1080i60
Old 01-07-2013, 08:52 PM   #303
Super Moderator

Jul 2006
Gilead

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarisn1 View Post
Damnit. Well, before my return timelimit is up, I want to get one that fits my requirements, preferably from Best Buy.

I have looked at the models in this thread, and they all seem to be out-dated? Of all the models listed on Best Buy, most of them do not even appear on this thread. Is there a newer thread with updated models?

I need a blu ray player that can convert the 50hz to 60hz internally so that I can play blu ray disks and dvd's with the Europe specs. This means I want it to play NTCS and PAL and automatically convert it out to NTCS standards for use with my samsung UN46EH6000 TV.

Also, I need it to be a smart device to stream movies and music.

Ideally I would like it to have a USB port too so I can play movies and stuff from my thumbdrive.

Lastly, I would like to be able to crack it so it is no longer regionally locked.

Does such a device exist?
For 1080i50 > 1080i60 on the fly any of the Samsung players will do the trick. Take a disc to your local store with you to verify. I believe all the LG players will also.

You can't unlock the region code though. I'm looking into the Orei players, they supposedly play all region DVD and Blu and convert PAL/NTSC as well. No word specifically on 1080i50 > 1080i60. They're $160 in the US, might order one to check it out, no hassle return policy according to Bombay Electronics.

I'm not aware of any other player that can do it. Oppo don't support their players being region hacked so they won't say whether in REGION B mode it will no longer convert to 1080i60, which would make sense as in REGION B it probably thinks it should output region b frame rates I would think?

Last edited by dobyblue; 01-07-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:35 PM   #304
Super Moderator

Jul 2006
Gilead

Just as an update: Apparently the Orei M2 looks like a good option. It plays any DVD whether NTSC or PAL regardless of region, and plays any Blu-ray and 3D Blu-ray regardless of region, also converting 1080i50 > 1080i60 on the fly for those of us (most of us in NA) whose TV's won't handshake with a 1080i50 signal.

They said the conversion is automatic. However you have to set the region manually to B to play a REGION B disc, so I wanted to confirm whether or not this affected the conversion. They've confirmed that even when set to REGION B a 1080i50 disc will still automatically convert to 1080i60 unless you go into the settings and change it to "MULTI" which would be multi-system.

Sounds like this is a winner to me. It's only $150 shipped from Amazon. The new F1 season review once again has only been released in the UK and it's once again locked to REGION B.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:11 PM   #305

Jan 2013
North Pole, Alaska
Germany sony bdp-s480 & 50 hz compatability

Does anyone know if the Sony BDP-S480 is compatible with 50hz technology?

Any information would be appreciated ...... Have a nice day !!!
Old 01-21-2013, 02:50 AM   #306

Jan 2013

North America LG BP200 plays BBC "Civilisation" Region-Free Blu-ray of 50hz, while the Sony BDP-S370 did not (on a Toshiba 37E200U TV).
Old 01-21-2013, 03:06 AM   #307
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmeister View Post

The European versions typically can do both 50 and 60Hz but Sony tends to strip out the 230V, 50Hz capability from the NA models.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:17 PM   #308
Super Moderator

Jul 2006
Gilead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmeister View Post

If it's a North American Sony player then it's unlikely it supports 50Hz, no Sony player so far in NA does.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:52 PM   #309
Special Member

Feb 2008
Region B

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrapeBunch View Post
North America LG BP200 plays BBC "Civilisation" Region-Free Blu-ray of 50hz, while the Sony BDP-S370 did not (on a Toshiba 37E200U TV).
Thanks, I've added the players to the lists.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:33 PM   #310
Super Moderator

Jul 2006
Gilead

Got my Orei BDP-M2 Region Free 3D Blu-ray player from Bombay Electronics on Wednesday night, was $149.99 shipped by calling their sales team and asking them to match the MSRP listed for the player on Orei's website.

Have checked both region locked Blu-ray and DVD movies as well as PAL DVD discs and 1080i50 Blu-ray discs, both region coded and not, and everything passed with flying colors.

If anyone else orders it, it defaults to 480i/576i settings (controlled by whether you have it set to NTSC or PAL) so remember to change to 1080p before you judge the picture quality.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:02 PM   #311
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2009
Calgary, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
Got my Orei BDP-M2 Region Free 3D Blu-ray player from Bombay Electronics on Wednesday night, was $149.99 shipped by calling their sales team and asking them to match the MSRP listed for the player on Orei's website.

Have checked both region locked Blu-ray and DVD movies as well as PAL DVD discs and 1080i50 Blu-ray discs, both region coded and not, and everything passed with flying colors.

If anyone else orders it, it defaults to 480i/576i settings (controlled by whether you have it set to NTSC or PAL) so remember to change to 1080p before you judge the picture quality.
Good to hear. Ordered one on Thursday after seeing your other posts. Paid more for it but Amazon.ca directly sell it in Canada so I liked that I could direct order from them even if they had it priced at $200.99 CDN. Free two day shipping with Prime also means getting it a lot faster
★ XBL: xHAYA8U5Ax | PSN: Hayabusa85 | Wii U: Hayabusa85 ★
Old 02-14-2013, 03:49 PM   #312
Special Member

Feb 2008
Region B

Thanks Doby, I've added the Orei player to the list.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:52 PM   #313
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2008
Sunny California

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post

Thats good to hear, I'm thinking about picking one up this Friday. I've been going back and forward a while now with this player. I guess i'm going to pull trigger on it. Thanks to your post it makes me feel better about getting it now.
TV:LG "55" LW5600 LED 3D 120Hz
TV:Samsung "46" B610 LCD 120hz
Receiver:Pioneer VSK-1021-K 7.1
Speakers:Polk Audio RM6750 5.1
BLU-RAY:PS3 Slim 160GB Sony BDP-S360
X-Box 360 Slim 250GB
X-Box 360 Elite 120GB
Old 02-21-2013, 11:53 PM   #314

Feb 2013

I'm thinking of buying a Samsung BD-E5400. Anyone know if it's compatible with 50Hz and if it outputs 50Hz content at 60Hz?
Old 02-24-2013, 01:05 PM   #315
Super Moderator

Jul 2006
Gilead

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricPaul View Post
I'm thinking of buying a Samsung BD-E5400. Anyone know if it's compatible with 50Hz and if it outputs 50Hz content at 60Hz?
If it's in North America it's a pretty safe bet that ALL current NA Samsung Blu-ray players will convert 50Hz to 60Hz on the fly, they just won't play REGION B or C Blu-ray discs. Also they will NOT convert PAL > NTSC which is kind of dumb.

I am selling my BD-D5700 now that I have the Orei. I've been using it to play all my PAL DVD's and all my Blu-ray's (changing between REGION A and B for Blu-ray is a doddle) and it loads much faster than my Samsung and hasn't bugged out at ANY discs I've put in so far, whereas the Samsung freezes regularly. Only trouble I've had with the Orei is the remote isn't particularly responsive sometimes, not a big deal though.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:32 AM   #316

Feb 2013

Thank you dobyblue. I purchased the Samsung BD-E5400 and it's compatible with 50Hz and it outputs 50Hz content at 60Hz.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:57 PM   #317

Apr 2009
Default Seiki

Hi, anyone have any info about the Seiki? I have no issues playing Region B blu ray and DVDs.

Thanks for any assistance.

Jay
Old 03-06-2013, 09:14 PM   #318
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2009
Calgary, Canada

Not having any luck with the Orei at all. First would lock up when powering down requiring it to be unplugged and plugged back in to use again. Second does the exact same thing.... but the power button on the player also won't turn it on and when powering it on with the remote the LCD display is corrupted for a bit before it turns on. Second one came with a HDMI cable and batteries..... didn't even know it was supposed to have those because the first one didn't have either. Hoping Amazon won't claim I didn't return everything in the package. Picture quality also seems lacking compared to my BDP-S360. Maybe some fiddling with the settings could help with that one but hard to adjust picture settings when you can't do it with the movie playing and all you can go by is an Orei logo. Only good thing I can say about it really is that it loads pretty fast when it is functioning. Sadly I didn't bother waiting before ordering some region locked discs and stuff or else I would be getting a refund. Amazon have one left in stock so going to hope third time is the charm with it
Old 03-07-2013, 12:09 AM   #319
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2010
Dubai

I dont understand these technical things at all. In short what I need to know is that I have a Bravia 32 (United Arab Emirates, Middle East). If I buy a Region A Blu-Ray player from US, will it work on my Sony Bravia here?

Please Reply,
Thanks.
"If anything in this life is certain; If history has taught us anything, it's that you can kill anyone."
Michael Corleone to Tom and Rocco about Roth - (The Godfather 2)
Old 03-12-2013, 04:53 PM   #320
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2009
Calgary, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusa85 View Post
Not having any luck with the Orei at all. First would lock up when powering down requiring it to be unplugged and plugged back in to use again. Second does the exact same thing.... but the power button on the player also won't turn it on and when powering it on with the remote the LCD display is corrupted for a bit before it turns on. Second one came with a HDMI cable and batteries..... didn't even know it was supposed to have those because the first one didn't have either. Hoping Amazon won't claim I didn't return everything in the package. Picture quality also seems lacking compared to my BDP-S360. Maybe some fiddling with the settings could help with that one but hard to adjust picture settings when you can't do it with the movie playing and all you can go by is an Orei logo. Only good thing I can say about it really is that it loads pretty fast when it is functioning. Sadly I didn't bother waiting before ordering some region locked discs and stuff or else I would be getting a refund. Amazon have one left in stock so going to hope third time is the charm with it
Amazon.ca had other people returning them with problems as well so they decided to give a refund instead. Which if it was the only option would have sucked but upon browsing the site found this....

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B007...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works perfectly, loads fast, PQ seems better (But again hard to say what the Orei was fully capable of in that regard since I found it hard to adjust without being able to adjust while the movie was playing) and changing the region is just a matter of pressing 1,2 or 3 on the remote while the player is off so no need to remember a code to change it or anything. They also included the region free firmware on a disc just in case an official firmware update interferes with it so that is nice. Oh and the remote is more responsive since I also noticed you had to push the buttons pretty hard at times with the Orei to get it to register. Plus if one wanted they could use the LG Apps and all that stuff too so it is more feature rich than the Orei. Costs more obviously but if anybody in Canada is looking for a region free player that is 50hz compatible this is a good buy IMO. Especially with Amazon.ca directly fulfilling the orders. Obviously there are Orei out there that work fine since Doby's seems fine and the positive reviews on Amazon seem to outnumber the negative reviews. So if looking for something cheaper it is still worth taking the chance on. Although I am wondering if the ones Amazon.ca are selling were not cracked by somebody else than the ones in the US which could explain the issues.

Last edited by Hayabusa85; 03-12-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders