COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Jurassic Park 1-3 (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$109.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Spartacus: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$102.98
Sleepy Hollow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
30 Minutes or Less (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Pain & Gain (Blu-ray)
$10.18
The Nutty Professor: 50th Anniversary (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Doctor and the Devils (Blu-ray)
$11.98
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Eraserhead (Blu-ray)
$30.01
Dukas: Ariane et Barbe-Bleue | Liceu (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Justice League: War (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Transformers Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.24
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$34.99
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion

Old 02-27-2013, 02:09 AM   #1

May 2009
Default Help Needed Pioneer 03 or Argo BD Disc Issue?

Guys,

Not sure if this is in the correct forum I recently bought Argo and was viewing it at around chapter 9 my Rec(Pioneer 03) and BD player power off, I thought wow what caused that ??
Powered everything back up jump to the same chapter and same thing happened again.
So I fast forward so continue with the movie and near the climatic airport scene when they have borded the plane and are on the runway as the plane is being pursued bam...power off.
So I get everything powered up and fast forward the chapter and Im able to get past the scane where the power failure occured.
After the movie I wanted to see if it would happen again sure enough I get to the airport chapter the power down/failure happens again not in the same exact scene however.
Now my first question has/is anyone experiencing this issue? if so I can assume this is a disc issue not my equipment, if not then what/why would my equipment being doing this?
I give my rec a heavy work out with either tv viewing or netflix, ps3 something seems to always be on.

Can anyone give me some insight on what caused this Im REALLY hoping this is a BD disc issue that can be resolved by returning Argo and getting a different disc.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:33 PM   #2
Power Member

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodiak View Post
Guys,

Not sure if this is in the correct forum I recently bought Argo and was viewing it at around chapter 9 my Rec(Pioneer 03) and BD player power off, I thought wow what caused that ??
Powered everything back up jump to the same chapter and same thing happened again.
So I fast forward so continue with the movie and near the climatic airport scene when they have borded the plane and are on the runway as the plane is being pursued bam...power off.
So I get everything powered up and fast forward the chapter and Im able to get past the scane where the power failure occured.
After the movie I wanted to see if it would happen again sure enough I get to the airport chapter the power down/failure happens again not in the same exact scene however.
Now my first question has/is anyone experiencing this issue? if so I can assume this is a disc issue not my equipment, if not then what/why would my equipment being doing this?
I give my rec a heavy work out with either tv viewing or netflix, ps3 something seems to always be on.

Can anyone give me some insight on what caused this Im REALLY hoping this is a BD disc issue that can be resolved by returning Argo and getting a different disc.
Sounds like your receiver is overloading, what king of speakers are you using? Are they new? Has this happened before?
Pioneer PRO-111FD
Pioneer SC-05
Two Crown XLS-2500's
Sony BDP-790
Martin Logan Theos & Motif X
LSI7's, Dual HRS12's
PS3 80g
Panamax M5100-PM
Old 02-28-2013, 02:39 AM   #3

May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by cembros View Post
Sounds like your receiver is overloading, what king of speakers are you using? Are they new? Has this happened before?
Polk and never before same setup I have had for 3 years, read some place might have something to do with lose speaker wires or speaker wires touching my wires are banana clipped so I doubt its wires touching

Any suggestions?
Old 02-28-2013, 03:28 AM   #4
Power Member

Jan 2008

Quote:
Polk and never before same setup I have had for 3 years, read some place might have something to do with lose speaker wires or speaker wires touching my wires are banana clipped so I doubt its wires touching

Any suggestions?
Were you playing it louder than usual? Which Polks?
Pioneer PRO-111FD
Pioneer SC-05
Two Crown XLS-2500's
Sony BDP-790
Martin Logan Theos & Motif X
LSI7's, Dual HRS12's
PS3 80g
Panamax M5100-PM
Old 03-03-2013, 07:27 PM   #5

May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by cembros View Post
Were you playing it louder than usual? Which Polks?
Polk 100's

No not louder than normal, btw was watching netflix and ths occured again so Im now becoming concerned this is related to the receiver or possibly the BD player.

If its my receiver "overloading" whats the cause of this and whats the fix if any?
Old 03-03-2013, 10:20 PM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2011
Alabama

something i would suggest is to buy either a voltage tester or an outlet tester. these can test the amount of voltage that is coming through the outlet. this will tell you if it's an electrical problem or not.

also, i would try that particular disc on someones else's system if that's possible. if not, then i would try another disc on your system with the volume turned up to how you normally watch movies or at least to the volume level at which you were watching argo. make sure to turn on anything else that was on at the same time you were watching the movie.

as well, i'd think about getting a gfci outlet to put in place of the standard outlet if there isn't one already there.
Will Disney ever release Old Yeller and Big Red on blu-ray?

Last edited by sk33tr; 03-03-2013 at 10:23 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:54 PM   #7

May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk33tr View Post
something i would suggest is to buy either a voltage tester or an outlet tester. these can test the amount of voltage that is coming through the outlet. this will tell you if it's an electrical problem or not.

also, i would try that particular disc on someones else's system if that's possible. if not, then i would try another disc on your system with the volume turned up to how you normally watch movies or at least to the volume level at which you were watching argo. make sure to turn on anything else that was on at the same time you were watching the movie.

as well, i'd think about getting a gfci outlet to put in place of the standard outlet if there isn't one already there.
Good ideas, I do have all my gear plug into a panamax, do you still suggest voltage tester?
Old 03-03-2013, 11:09 PM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2011
Alabama

Quote:
Good ideas, I do have all my gear plug into a panamax, do you still suggest voltage tester?
yes, i still do. it's a way to test the voltage coming directly out of the outlet. it's just one of those things "jut to be sure".

as well, since you said you have your gear plugged into a panamax, you should call around to some electronics stores in your area to see if any of them can run a check on something like that to make sure it's pulling and putting out the correct amount of voltage.

when it comes to your gear, you can never be too safe.
Will Disney ever release Old Yeller and Big Red on blu-ray?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion