Best PS4 Deals

Top PS4 Deals, Cheap PS4 Games!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Skylanders Trap Team (Blu-ray)
$39.99

Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor (Blu-ray)
$48.51
5 hrs ago
Just Dance 2015 (Blu-ray)
$40.67

Wolfenstein: The New Order (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Assassin's Creed: Unity (Blu-ray)
$55.81
7 hrs ago
Call of Duty: Ghosts (Blu-ray)
$28.49

The Pinball Arcade (Blu-ray)
$29.99

DriveClub (Blu-ray)
$49.24

Bound By Flame (Blu-ray)
$32.96
20 hrs ago
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (Blu-ray)
$59.55

NBA 2K15 (Blu-ray)
$52.09
16 hrs ago
FIFA 15 (Blu-ray)
$50.80

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 04:08 AM   #1981
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony P View Post
yes it is, so you found an article that is sensationalistic, big deal did you see the line console sales always dive when consoles have been on the market for half a decade check this board for the last couple of years some people were expecting these consoles last year or two years ago, this has been the longest generation and you don't expect some decrease when it has happened in each and every generation?
lol I could care less about someones views on gaming, but the #s don't lie

As for duration

PS2 to PS3 was 2207 days.
PS3 to PS4 (using Nov. 15th as a release day) would be 2561 days.

354 days longer! That is just amazing, and I'm surprised we made it!
Because it's easier to have courage from a safe distance away.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:13 AM   #1982
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick1ru2 View Post
If GTA Andreas comes out on the PS4 cloud service, I just bought a digital version of it on the PSN, why would I have to buy it again?
first of all the PSN had a digital PS3 version, that is different thanGaikai streaming, so they are not the same format, the same way if someone buys the SD version of a film (on any digital movie service) and then decides they want the HD version.

second we don't know how Gaikai/PSN will work since Sony did not say anything about it, for all we know it could be like onlive playpack where it is a rental of some titles for 10$ a month and you canplay what you want when you want. Or there might be a way for them to know what you bought (disk or DL) and then they might give it to you for free.

As for your assumption that a game available on PS3 automatically means that it is just Gaikai, that is not a given, actually hasn't there been some games that have been announced that are being made for PS4 and PS3?

Lastly since in order for Gaikai to “work” you need a high speed connection and a local datacenter there will be many people for whom does not work.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:28 AM   #1983
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2009
Daytona Beach, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersix4 View Post

As for duration

PS2 to PS3 was 2207 days.
PS3 to PS4 (using Nov. 15th as a release day) would be 2561 days.

354 days longer! That is just amazing, and I'm surprised we made it!
Yep... In North America the span between console releases was roughly.

PS1 to PS2 - 5 years
PS2 to PS3 - 6 years
PS3 to PS4 - 7 years

Console lifespans have grown longer. I checked Nintendo's past three console leases and the gaps are almost identical, only slightly shorter.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:34 AM   #1984
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2007

Long console lifespan is expected now due to updates

7 years is too long though. The old tech in consoles begins to hold back the entire games industry.

6 years should be the max imo. Every console gen I tend to drift towards PC gaming around years 4 and 5 because at that time PC gameplay and graphics have far surpassed consles
==

Last edited by bluearth; 02-28-2013 at 04:36 AM.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:51 AM   #1985
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluearth View Post
Long console lifespan is expected now due to updates

7 years is too long though. The old tech in consoles begins to hold back the entire games industry.

6 years should be the max imo. Every console gen I tend to drift towards PC gaming around years 4 and 5 because at that time PC gameplay and graphics have far surpassed consles
I actually give them credit, and given the ps3 titles still to come I think they could have made it another year. I'd rather see marketable gains (Like I think we're getting with the ps4) then them throw hardware upgrades at us every few years (but I guess its better than every 10-14 months like the PC industry does). I burned through so much money getting the highest end card from the 6 series up until the 8 series with nvidia before I just said screw it.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:06 AM   #1986
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersix4 View Post
numbers don't lie, but people do and then it is blamed on statistics. If numbers really don't lie than go back to when the transition from PS2 to PS3 happened and look at the numbers at that point in time. Just because you don't want to admit the obvious that at the end of the life of the consoles generation the money dries up a bit as people start talking and looking forward to the next generation it does not mean that people need to jump to crazy conclusions.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:14 AM   #1987
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2009
The South

Quote:
first of all the PSN had a digital PS3 version, that is different thanGaikai streaming, so they are not the same format, the same way if someone buys the SD version of a film (on any digital movie service) and then decides they want the HD version.

second we don't know how Gaikai/PSN will work since Sony did not say anything about it, for all we know it could be like onlive playpack where it is a rental of some titles for 10$ a month and you canplay what you want when you want. Or there might be a way for them to know what you bought (disk or DL) and then they might give it to you for free.

As for your assumption that a game available on PS3 automatically means that it is just Gaikai, that is not a given, actually hasn't there been some games that have been announced that are being made for PS4 and PS3?

Lastly since in order for Gaikai to “work” you need a high speed connection and a local datacenter there will be many people for whom does not work.
Same digital title, no upgrades. Just different console. You can say all you want. Its no different than me watching an Amazon digital purchase on my iPhone vs my PS3. The title itself is no different but the vendor software is different on each platform. But they don't charge by platform, its all the same digital network.

And no crap, you'll need a HSI. HSI access and quality grows as time goes on.

I'll be able to watch my current Amazon and Vudu digital purchases on the PS4...for no additional charge. But the same exact title I bought on the PSN I can't without purchasing again on the PS4. Something very wrong with this picture.

Last edited by slick1ru2; 02-28-2013 at 05:21 AM.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:39 AM   #1988
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

New screens of the UI

R.I.P Robin Williams 1951-2014

My PSN Trophy Card | PS4 Tips, Tricks & Fixes
List of BD Movies That Have PS3 Themes
Pre-orders:Evangelion 3.33|Gurren Lagann: Ultimate Edition|Mai Mai Miracle|The Place Promised in Our Early Days|009 RE:CYBORG 3D CE|
PS4|PS3 12gb Slim(1TB SATA HDD)|LG 42LW650T 3D LED|Toshiba BDX3100 (Multi-Region3D Player)|ONKYO HTX-22HD 5.1|Bush BFSAT01HD Freesat HD Box.

Last edited by Mavrick; 02-28-2013 at 11:40 AM.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:24 AM   #1989
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

Quote:
sorry if I was not clear, I did not mean to imply they can't be on the same network, what I meant is if a game is remade as a PS4 game (the same way that some PS2 games have been sold as PS3 games either oon PSN or BDs) there would need to be a clearly defined PS4 and PS3 game on PSN. Since the PS4 version won't play on the PS3 and the PS3 version won't play on the PS4.
Ah, yes. But, the way I see it is that the stores themselves for each console will help to define such content via accessibility. So, as a result, the PS3 will access a completely different store than the PS4. So, even with the same PSN account, each store will have its own download list and its own access to console specific content that is connected to your account... but only shows up within the appropriate console software. That way, there can be no confusion. You won't be able to download anything onto your PS3 that belongs on the PS4 and vice versa.

I see this as being the best solution for Sony. All of the network related features will still be active across your account on both systems. But, since you can't access the other consoles storefront, you won't have any confusion.
HT EQUIPMENT: Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000, Onkyo 805, B&W M-1s & AS-2 Sub, 60GB PS3, Toshiba HD-A2

FOR SALE/TRADE THREAD: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=55884

Old 02-28-2013, 11:43 AM   #1990

Jul 2009
Perth, Australia

Currently both Vita and PS3 content appear on the same list, I don't see why they'd change it for the PS4. You can download content for the Vita to the PS3 but not vice versa.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:51 AM   #1991
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandlazy View Post
Currently both Vita and PS3 content appear on the same list, I don't see why they'd change it for the PS4. You can download content for the Vita to the PS3 but not vice versa.
But, in that case you have an inherent connectivity and functionality relationship between the 2 systems (PS3 & VITA). The PS3 can act as a gateway or portal for VITA content. Likewise, that could be true of the PS4 & VITA. But, we are talking about PS3 and PS4 content. There will be no functional connectivity between those two devices. So, how do you keep those pieces of software tied to your PSN account without having them show up on the wrong systems?

I still maintain that PS4 will have a different storefront software that will access a separate database than the database for the PS3 storefront. It's only logical to do it that way. The most ease with the least confusion factor.

Perhaps they will make all VITA software content its own separate database to access as well which can be accessed by both PS3 and PS4 stores so you'll be able to get all VITA content from either system. That's how I would think of trying to do it were I engineering that aspect of the new system.
HT EQUIPMENT: Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000, Onkyo 805, B&W M-1s & AS-2 Sub, 60GB PS3, Toshiba HD-A2

FOR SALE/TRADE THREAD: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=55884

Last edited by Petra_Kalbrain; 02-28-2013 at 11:58 AM.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:16 PM   #1992
Power Member

Nov 2007
Chicago, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick1ru2 View Post
I'll be able to watch my current Amazon and Vudu digital purchases on the PS4...for no additional charge. But the same exact title I bought on the PSN I can't without purchasing again on the PS4. Something very wrong with this picture.
A game is a game, it doesnt matter what its being sourced from, a disk, the internet, or an HDD. PS3 games are designed to work with very specific hardware. Its no different than buying the disk or digital version of a PC game. The software is the exact same, its just being read from a different source.

I know people want their BC, but you guys need to sit back and look at the techincal side of it. Its just like the pre x86 Macs and PCs. They had totally different hardware so software had to be written specific for each console. The only way ps3 games will work on the ps4 is if devs recode and port each game over to the new hardware.
PSN: Hellmonkey69
LBP Levels: The Abusement Park, A Stormy Night, The Fantabulous Contraption.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:35 PM   #1993
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2007

Quote:
numbers don't lie, but people do and then it is blamed on statistics. If numbers really don't lie than go back to when the transition from PS2 to PS3 happened and look at the numbers at that point in time. Just because you don't want to admit the obvious that at the end of the life of the consoles generation the money dries up a bit as people start talking and looking forward to the next generation it does not mean that people need to jump to crazy conclusions.
Lol I said when I originally posted that link a few pages ago some of it can be attributed to eol... You should go back and read next time. FYI ps2 sales and video game sales overall were much higher between 03-06 than this gen between 08-12.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:22 PM   #1994

Jun 2007

Stupid Question: Is the Vita "compatible" with both the PS3 and PS4? If so, how is this accomplished?
PSN: buldrhm
Plats 41, Latest: Burnout Paradise
http://psntrophyleaders.com/user/view/buldrhm#games

Old 02-28-2013, 04:35 PM   #1995
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2007
College Station, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Bull View Post
Stupid Question: Is the Vita "compatible" with both the PS3 and PS4? If so, how is this accomplished?
The Vita hooks up to both the PS3 and the PS4. As to "how" it will use a USB cable.

I am not sure if that is what you meant, but its my best answer.

I have dogged the Vita hardcore in the past, but based on what I saw at the PS4 press conference it may yet have some life in it.
DALLAS MAVERICKS 2011 NBA CHAMPS!!!!

PS gamertag: Merrick97
Xbox 360: Merrick97

Old 02-28-2013, 04:39 PM   #1996
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2008
Wrestling in Ireland. PSNetwork: Nerdkiller316PSN Nerds beaten up: Loads
Send a message via MSN to Nerdkiller likes BD Send a message via Skype™ to Nerdkiller likes BD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
New screens of the UI

So...where's the main screen? Does it look like the XMB or something.
"GIT OUTTA MY OFFICE!" -Matt Groening

My stance on Anime...I just can't understand any of it, everyone is either a 10 year old girl or a monster.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:42 PM   #1997
Blu-ray Duke

Mar 2012
New York City

They haven't shown the main screen yet. I have a feeling it'll be similar to a Windows metro interface (sort of like the 2nd screen above). I just hope they don't use the Vita interface. I loved the XMB personally so I wouldn't mind if they stuck with that.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:42 PM   #1998
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2009
The South

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmonkey View Post
A game is a game, it doesnt matter what its being sourced from, a disk, the internet, or an HDD. PS3 games are designed to work with very specific hardware. Its no different than buying the disk or digital version of a PC game. The software is the exact same, its just being read from a different source.

I know people want their BC, but you guys need to sit back and look at the techincal side of it. Its just like the pre x86 Macs and PCs. They had totally different hardware so software had to be written specific for each console. The only way ps3 games will work on the ps4 is if devs recode and port each game over to the new hardware.
The game could be played over the network. Sony said it could. They have to decide if they are going to do it. If they don't, I won't get one for a long time.

Quote:
Shuhei Yoshida, head of Sony Worldwide Studios, did try to calm the nerd rage by saying they will be trying to make the digital purchases playable in some form. Yoshida has told Polygon that it could be possible for PS4′s future cloud services to recognize users’ PS3 PS Store purchases, if Sony should “choose” to make it so.

“We could do so if we choose to,” he said. “We know who purchased what as a record. But we are working on service plans and we haven’t decided.”

Read more: http://segmentnext.com/2013/02/22/th...#ixzz2MDG4YFHh

Old 02-28-2013, 04:43 PM   #1999

Jun 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerrickG View Post
The Vita hooks up to both the PS3 and the PS4. As to "how" it will use a USB cable.

I am not sure if that is what you meant, but its my best answer.

I have dogged the Vita hardcore in the past, but based on what I saw at the PS4 press conference it may yet have some life in it.
But it plays some PS3 games and will play some PS4 games right? How is that possible?
PSN: buldrhm
Plats 41, Latest: Burnout Paradise
http://psntrophyleaders.com/user/view/buldrhm#games

Old 02-28-2013, 04:59 PM   #2000
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2007
PEI, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Bull View Post
But it plays some PS3 games and will play some PS4 games right? How is that possible?
Remote play is just a streaming service from the console to the Vita. The Vita/PSP doesn't actually have to do anything but transmit your input and display the video on screen.
http://www.yourgamercards.net/profile/binarymellon

PSN: binarymellon
EA Origin Account: binarymelon
Steam Account: binarymelon

Closed Thread
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4