Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Willow (Blu-ray)
$9.96
James Cameron's Deepsea Challenge 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.89
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
John Carter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Hentai Prince & the Stony Cat: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.92
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Prom Night (Blu-ray)
$17.30
Planet of the Vampires (Blu-ray)
$19.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 02-28-2013, 03:13 AM   #63741

Jan 2011

I just looked under My account on the Criterion website and it says the estimated ship date for my three Flash Sale movies, On the Waterfront, Videodrome and Thin Red Line is March 20. Hmmm...I got the discounted price for all three films so it's not like any were out when I ordered. And to think I bought three to avoid $5.95 4-7 day shipping. Anybody have a guess at an explanation for this?

Last edited by CusackstheMan; 02-28-2013 at 03:49 AM.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:20 AM   #63742
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by iScottie View Post
I've only seen The Kid With A Bike and La Promesse and I'm torn between the two. I have Rosetta still which I probably will watch tomorrow so I will give you my order then.

Part of me liked The Kid With A Bike better, but La Promesse was fantastic as well.
Been going through their films ever since I watched The Kid With a Bike. I watched The Son earlier today.

From what I've seen, I'd rank them like this:

The Son
The Kid With a Bike
Rosetta

Going to pick up La Promesse during the next sale.
Most desired Blu-rays: Far too many to name.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:32 AM   #63743
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2012
Georgia

I have not given much thought to The Kid with a Bike, but I loved Cécile De France in Clint Eastwood's Hereafter (a criminally underrated movie, in my opinion, and one that I need to grab on Blu-ray before it leaves the cheap used racks around here).

I'll give The Kid with a Bike more thought after reading the raves here.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:41 AM   #63744
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2010
Rhode Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Owl View Post
I have not given much thought to The Kid with a Bike, but I loved Cécile De France in Clint Eastwood's Hereafter (a criminally underrated movie, in my opinion, and one that I need to grab on Blu-ray before it leaves the cheap used racks around here).

It honestly didn't appeal to me based off of the description. I'm really happy that I watched it, though.

I'd recommend giving it a watch
Old 02-28-2013, 03:47 AM   #63745

Feb 2013
Southern California

Went into Best Buy to see if they had The Master (they didn't, had to go to three other stores), I saw this on the shelf and had to buy it. I've been wanting to see it for so long and just couldn't pass it up!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (29.9 KB, 798 views)
Old 02-28-2013, 04:13 AM   #63746
Special Member

Feb 2012
Canada

I'm glad to see people discussing the Dardennes. Truly some of my favorite modern directors. It was just announced that Marion Cottilard is headlining their next film as well, so there's no doubt it will be great.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:13 AM   #63747
Expert Member

Apr 2009
Virginia
Send a message via MSN to madmojo

Just got the shipping email for the first of my two orders! (The Organizer, Sansho The Bailiff, Harold & Maude, Ballad of Narayama, and The Man Who Knew Too Much.)

Hopefully my smaller order mails soon too! (Broadcast News, Videodrome, and Umberto D.)
Old 02-28-2013, 04:15 AM   #63748
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2010

Quote:

She's great in this. One of the top five female performances last year.
Most desired Blu-rays: Far too many to name.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:27 AM   #63749

Feb 2013
Southern California

When is the next sale at B&N? Around June/July?

I also just recently saw The Kid With a Bike thanks to Netflix and I loved it. Definitely need to check out the Dardenne's other works.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:28 AM   #63750
Special Member

Aug 2009
Australia

Quote:
[Show spoiler]

Sorry. I couldn't resist.

I've got a free day on Saturday after my morning training run, though, so I'm going to go for it. When I had my old DVD copy of Fanny and Alexander, I only watched the full 312-minute television version a couple of times, so this will be my first time watching this version on Blu-ray. It's a sprawling and comprehensive, yet beautiful and engaging film, and I expect that it will be twice as fascinating in the new format.

I was fortunate to grab the Fanny and Alexander Blu-ray for 40% off a few weeks ago at Barnes & Noble, and I've been wanting the time window to watch it for a while. It's my favorite Bergman film, although there are quite a few to choose from.
You'll love seeing it all in one go!
And then when you're finished, put on Carlos and watch all of it!
TV: 50” Panasonic TH-50PZ850A
Blu-ray: Panasonic DMP-BD80
Receiver: Pioneer VSX-1019
DVR: TiVo 160GB, with external 1TB hard drive
Speakers: KEF iQ70's front; iQ60 centre; iQ10's surround and rear surround
Subwoofer: SVS PC12-NSD
Old 02-28-2013, 04:35 AM   #63751

Jan 2009
Vancouverish, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWayneMartin View Post
Went into Best Buy to see if they had The Master (they didn't, had to go to three other stores), I saw this on the shelf and had to buy it. I've been wanting to see it for so long and just couldn't pass it up!

[Show spoiler]
LOVED The Great Dictator. Loved it. Modern Times was equally, albeit differently, as good. You made an excellent choice.

I really enjoyed The Master, but with the small amount of extras, I think I'll have to wait for a bit.

Quote:

I enjoyed Kid, but I found it somewhat fleeting. It, like movies in the last while, didn't stick to my bones in the way something like 400 blows did. And one person said it the best, if he'd have just gotten a damn bike lock!

BUT, it was a very good movie. One that should be seen, but now that I've seen it, I don't have a major drive to jump back in.

On another note, I was a very bad boy in the sale. Not as bad as I wanted to be, but bad enough

I blind bought 4 out of the 5 items, and I sure as fart hope I won't be disappointed. But hey, what's the worst that can happen? I trade it . I'm sure I can find something I'd rather have . I did pass on M which I'm somewhat disappointed about, but seeing as it easily hits the $20 mark even used, I figured it would be easy enough to get another time.

Anyway here's my haul. I just watched Paths of Glory and I'm thrilled that I grabbed it. Commentary FTW!
  • Paths of Glory
  • The Rules of the Game
  • Stagecoach
  • Amarcord
  • The Night of the Hunter

I'm a little worried about Rules, as I wasn't HUGE on Le Grande Illusion... But what the heck, right?

Now... All I have to do is wait. A. Lot.
“Most of the successful people in Hollywood are failures as human beings.” - Brando
Player: HDA30 / PS3 / LG 645 3D BR / Sony S185
Receiver: Sony STR-DH520 (excellent budget receiver!)
TV: LG 55LW5300 3D LED LCD
Speakers: Energy Encore 5.1
Old 02-28-2013, 04:39 AM   #63752

Feb 2013
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by andsoitgoes View Post
LOVED The Great Dictator. Loved it. Modern Times was equally, albeit differently, as good. You made an excellent choice.

I really enjoyed The Master, but with the small amount of extras, I think I'll have to wait for a bit.

I enjoyed Kid, but I found it somewhat fleeting. It, like movies in the last while, didn't stick to my bones in the way something like 400 blows did. And one person said it the best, if he'd have just gotten a damn bike lock!

BUT, it was a very good movie. One that should be seen, but now that I've seen it, I don't have a major drive to jump back in.

On another note, I was a very bad boy in the sale. Not as bad as I wanted to be, but bad enough

I blind bought 4 out of the 5 items, and I sure as fart hope I won't be disappointed. But hey, what's the worst that can happen? I trade it . I'm sure I can find something I'd rather have . I did pass on M which I'm somewhat disappointed about, but seeing as it easily hits the $20 mark even used, I figured it would be easy enough to get another time.

Anyway here's my haul. I just watched Paths of Glory and I'm thrilled that I grabbed it. Commentary FTW!
  • Paths of Glory
  • The Rules of the Game
  • Stagecoach
  • Amarcord
  • The Night of the Hunter

I'm a little worried about Rules, as I wasn't HUGE on Le Grande Illusion... But what the heck, right?

Now... All I have to do is wait. A. Lot.
Ahhh I want Paths and The Killing so bad! After that, I believe I'll have all of Kubrick's .
Old 02-28-2013, 04:45 AM   #63753
Blu-ray Count

May 2011
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWayneMartin View Post
Ahhh I want Paths and The Killing so bad! After that, I believe I'll have all of Kubrick's .
Welcome to the site. Do you have Fear and Desire (Kino) too? That's the one I'm missing... Oh and the theatrical cut of the shining.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:48 AM   #63754
Banned

Feb 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdrewes View Post
Welcome to the site. Do you have Fear and Desire (Kino) too? That's the one I'm missing... Oh and the theatrical cut of the shining.
Kubrick is my 2nd favorite director after Hitchcock but I refuse to watch Fear and Desire (I've of course seen the rest of his movies). Apparently he hated F&D so much that he tried to destroy every copy of it. My rationale is, if Kubrick didn't want me to see it, then I won't.

Is there more than one version of The Shining available on Blu-ray?
Old 02-28-2013, 04:52 AM   #63755

Mar 2010
South Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaridley View Post
Kubrick is my 2nd favorite director after Hitchcock but I refuse to watch Fear and Desire (I've of course seen the rest of his movies). Apparently he hated F&D so much that he tried to destroy every copy of it. My rationale is, if Kubrick didn't want me to see it, then I won't.
I think Kubrick sold the film a little short. Certainly not the greatest film ever made, but far better then its reputation IMO. There are some very interesting studies of human nature going on inside it. You should give it a look when you can. I believe the entire film can be seen in parts on YouTube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-28-2013, 05:53 AM   #63756
Banned

Feb 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreaUnderTheCurve View Post
I disagree. I've been burned many times with Criterion blind buys, most recently with Rashoman. I found it mostly boring with some dreadful cinematography that took away from certain shots (poor lighting makes it difficult to discern certain important things in the forest). I can see how it would be fantastic when it was released given the structure of the movie, but it's completely unremarkable in 2013. I feel that I wasted $21.19 on it. I'd get rid of it, but I have some friends who admire and adore foreign films, so I'll let them borrow it.

Add in Seven Samurai as well, something I couldn't get two hours into because, and I believe this may be a problem for me with Kurosawa, it's dreadfully boring. I couldn't get into Kagemusha, either. I appreciate what Kurosawa has done, though. I like that people still admire and are inspired by his work.
I agree with your assessment of Rashomon. I really enjoyed Seven Samurai, however. You should try Yojimbo and Sanjuro before giving up on Kurosawa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellOilJunior View Post
The Red Shoes should be in every collection.
+1
Old 02-28-2013, 06:00 AM   #63757
Banned

Jul 2007
Hollywood

Quote:

Is there more than one version of The Shining available on Blu-ray?
Fear and Desire is pretty bad. I've seen it, but I don't need to own it.

There is the US theatrical cut of The Shining available, and the International version (region free) available from Amazon UK. Kubrick but about 25 minutes out for international release, which speeds up the pace considerably. It's widely rumored to be his preferred version, but both versions have merit.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:22 AM   #63758
Banned

Feb 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by retablo View Post
Fear and Desire is pretty bad. I've seen it, but I don't need to own it.

There is the US theatrical cut of The Shining available, and the International version (region free) available from Amazon UK. Kubrick but about 25 minutes out for international release, which speeds up the pace considerably. It's widely rumored to be his preferred version, but both versions have merit.
Ah, I didn't know that! If I had a region free player I might feel compelled to check out the international version. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:25 AM   #63759
Banned

Jul 2007
Hollywood

Quote:
Ah, I didn't know that! If I had a region free player I might feel compelled to check out the international version. Thanks for the info.
You don't need a region-free player. The disc itself is region-free. It will play on any player.

It is this version (119 min)
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Shining-Blu-ray/2104/
Old 02-28-2013, 06:33 AM   #63760

Feb 2013
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdrewes View Post
Thank you, sir! I've seen F&D and I don't see myself buying it hahah.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors