New: Black Friday Deals Week has started! Check out the Blu-ray Deals page » ×

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Black Friday Deals Week is Live »
Now: E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial 4K $12.99 (40% claimed)
Now: Minions 3D $7.99 (25% claimed)
Now: Night of the Comet (Collector'… $14.49 (42% claimed)
Now: Gladiator $7.79 (4% claimed)
Now: Dirk Gently's Holistic Detecti… $15.99 (10% claimed)
Now: Adventures of Captain Marvel $13.23 (43% claimed)
Now: Once Upon a Time in the West $7.58 (5 hours left)
Soon: Fast & Furious: The Ultimate R… ()
Soon: The X-Files: The Collector's S… ()

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Logan 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Gift (Blu-ray)
$5.00
War for the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Blu-ray)
$3.99
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (Blu-ray)
$6.00
Wonder Woman (Blu-ray)
$9.00
Alien: Covenant (Blu-ray)
$8.99
The Hateful Eight (Blu-ray)
$3.99
Baby Driver (Blu-ray)
$9.00
Life (Blu-ray)
$6.00
The Revenant (Blu-ray)
$4.00
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors

Old 02-28-2013, 02:42 AM   #63661
Blu-ray Duke

Dec 2012
Georgia

Sorry. I couldn't resist.

I've got a free day on Saturday after my morning training run, though, so I'm going to go for it. When I had my old DVD copy of Fanny and Alexander, I only watched the full 312-minute television version a couple of times, so this will be my first time watching this version on Blu-ray. It's a sprawling and comprehensive, yet beautiful and engaging film, and I expect that it will be twice as fascinating in the new format.

I was fortunate to grab the Fanny and Alexander Blu-ray for 40% off a few weeks ago at Barnes & Noble, and I've been wanting the time window to watch it for a while. It's my favorite Bergman film, although there are quite a few to choose from.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:52 AM   #63662
Expert Member

May 2011
Central Fraser Valley

For anyone passing through wondering about dealing through the Criterion website...

Joined the flash-sale frenzy yesterday and for the first time opened an account and ordered five releases. Unfortunately I assumed that by going to the Criterion-Blu-ray section I would be dealing exclusively with Blu-rays and in my girlish excitement rather stupidly neglected to notice that the DVD edition was listed as well and just went for the first green 'add to basket' button that scrolled up. With the unfortunate result that three of my five selections showed as DVD's when I glanced at the order again after checking out. Despite that the mistake dawned within five minutes of the order being placed, the acknowledging e-mail was already in my in-box indicating that no changes were possible. Needless to say I was not a happy camper...

Sent an e-mail to 'order support' this morning and within ten minutes received the following response...

Hello Mr. (ElliesDad),

Thanks for your email, though I'm sorry to learn of the trouble. Orders from the sale have already processed, and we are not able to edit. When you receive your order please send the incorrect items to us at the address below with a copy of this correspondence and we will refund you or exchange your items.

The Criterion Collection
Attn: ORDERS
215 Park Avenue South 5th Floor
New York, NY 10003

Thanks for supporting Criterion and enjoy your movies!

Best,

Claire

Now that's customer service!!
Old 02-28-2013, 02:53 AM   #63663
Expert Member

May 2011
Central Fraser Valley

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZooTv View Post
The Third Man is going to be on at 10:00pm (est) tonight on TCMHD.
Thanks! Heading down right now to watch...!
Old 02-28-2013, 02:55 AM   #63664
Power Member

Nov 2009
KY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dalek View Post
It was pretty but beyond that not all that appealing in this Blu-ray Age, so no tears shed here. I'll be much happier with the 8 or 10 feature-laden Blu-ray editions of the films I actually want, once they get around to them.
They don't have all the movies' rights still do they? I thought also that some of them were only available in AK 100 and not separately otherwise we would have seen them on BD or at least a possibility
Old 02-28-2013, 03:10 AM   #63665
Blu-ray Duke

Dec 2012
Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dalek View Post
It was pretty but beyond that not all that appealing in this Blu-ray Age, so no tears shed here. I'll be much happier with the 8 or 10 feature-laden Blu-ray editions of the films I actually want, once they get around to them.
This. I had a passing fancy about that box set yesterday when I got the notice that it was selling out, but I've owned most of those on DVD already, and am awaiting better Blu-ray transfers in the future.

What's the word around the campfire on the StudioCanal release of Ran, by the way. I thought about buying it a couple weeks back when I bought Fellini's 8 1/2 and Bergman's The Seventh Seal, but, in a rare showing of fiscal restraint, I decided not to pull the trigger. My impression after reading the review is that it's considered a less-than-stellar high definition transfer, but that it is still better than any existing DVD picture quality.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:46 AM   #63666
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by iScottie View Post
Just as I suspected - La Promesse was fantastic.

A strong recommendation, in my opinion.
Would you place it above their other films in the collection?
Waiting for the all female blu-ray.com reboot.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:53 AM   #63667

Dec 2012

Quote:
I finally finished Bigger Than Life.

It was an exceptionally made film. Too bad it isn't talked about much around here. I was actually surprised on how much I liked it. It reminded me a lot of The Night Of The Hunter during some instances.
It's a great film and it deals with an important subject, both then and now. There was a fair amount of discussion when it first came out, but it is worth revisiting so it's good you brought it up. And it makes us yearn for more Nicholas Ray - particularly In a Lonely Place.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:58 AM   #63668

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Page14 View Post
I noticed the same thing at my local Walmart ... their bluray section has been cut way way back. Bummer.
Really?! What did they replace the Blurays with? DVD's? We are talking about WalMart here.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:59 AM   #63669
Power Member

Oct 2010
The Big Island

Pre-ordered Badlands from Amazon.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:02 AM   #63670
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2010
In the back, off the side, far away

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoytereden View Post
Pre-ordered Badlands from Amazon.
Nice, hoping to grab it at BB on its release day for sub $10 with the help of a few RZ certificates.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:03 AM   #63671
Blu-ray Duke

Dec 2012
Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Page14 View Post
I noticed the same thing at my local Walmart ... their bluray section has been cut way way back. Bummer.
I visited a Walmart down the street a few weeks back to glance through their $7.88 bin. I was not expecting much, but I was astounded at all of the actual good movies that were available in that bin. In fact, I was downright upset at myself for paying twice as much for movies like Stand By Me and Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory weeks before at other stores instead of looking through that bin first.

It's an irritation to sift through the scattered pile of Blu-rays in the $7.88 bin, though, so I probably missed out on even more great finds.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:03 AM   #63672
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2010
The middle of nowhere, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CusackstheMan View Post
Really?! What did they replace the Blurays with? DVD's? We are talking about WalMart here.
I'm not sure as I don't pay much attention to the DVD racks anymore. I just know that there are less blurays now. Maybe it's a YMMV kind of thing. ??

Some of the racks were still marked/labeled as bluray racks, even though they held DVDs now.
So many blurays, so little time.

First blu-ray purchase - "Jason and the Argonauts" on July 6, 2010.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:04 AM   #63673
Blu-ray Duke

Dec 2012
Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZooTv View Post
Nice, hoping to grab it at BB on its release day for sub $10 with the help of a few RZ certificates.
Same. I'll have some Best Buy rewards points racked up if Badlands shows up at Best Buy.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:05 AM   #63674

Oct 2010
Rhode Island

I concluded the night with Eating Raoul.

What a hilarious film. I can't remember a time that I wasn't laughing during it. I can see how it's a cult classic, as it is fun as hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snicket View Post
Would you place it above their other films in the collection?
I've only seen The Kid With A Bike and La Promesse and I'm torn between the two. I have Rosetta still which I probably will watch tomorrow so I will give you my order then.

Part of me liked The Kid With A Bike better, but La Promesse was fantastic as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R o d View Post
It's a great film and it deals with an important subject, both then and now. There was a fair amount of discussion when it first came out, but it is worth revisiting so it's good you brought it up. And it makes us yearn for more Nicholas Ray - particularly In a Lonely Place.
I believe they credited a New York Times article for the film idea. That's pretty impressive, in my opinion. The movie turned out to be great, so kudos to them.

I'm glad I watched it because I can definitely see how it was an important film, especially during its time. Medicine has always been a tricky thing to discuss in our culture and I think the film does a great job at portraying it and the side effects.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:07 AM   #63675
Banned

Jul 2007
Hollywood

Quote:
I've only seen The Kid With A Bike and La Promesse and I'm torn between the two. I have Rosetta still which I probably will watch tomorrow so I will give you my order then.

Part of me liked The Kid With A Bike better, but La Promesse was fantastic as well.
Rosetta is my favorite of theirs that I've seen.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:13 AM   #63676

Jan 2011

I just looked under My account on the Criterion website and it says the estimated ship date for my three Flash Sale movies, On the Waterfront, Videodrome and Thin Red Line is March 20. Hmmm...I got the discounted price for all three films so it's not like any were out when I ordered. And to think I bought three to avoid $5.95 4-7 day shipping. Anybody have a guess at an explanation for this?

Last edited by CusackstheMan; 02-28-2013 at 04:49 AM.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:20 AM   #63677
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2010
Austin

Quote:

Been going through their films ever since I watched The Kid With a Bike. I watched The Son earlier today.

From what I've seen, I'd rank them like this:

The Son
The Kid With a Bike
Rosetta

Going to pick up La Promesse during the next sale.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:32 AM   #63678
Blu-ray Duke

Dec 2012
Georgia

I have not given much thought to The Kid with a Bike, but I loved Cécile De France in Clint Eastwood's Hereafter (a criminally underrated movie, in my opinion, and one that I need to grab on Blu-ray before it leaves the cheap used racks around here).

I'll give The Kid with a Bike more thought after reading the raves here.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:41 AM   #63679

Oct 2010
Rhode Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Owl View Post
I have not given much thought to The Kid with a Bike, but I loved Cécile De France in Clint Eastwood's Hereafter (a criminally underrated movie, in my opinion, and one that I need to grab on Blu-ray before it leaves the cheap used racks around here).

I'll give The Kid with a Bike more thought after reading the raves here.
It honestly didn't appeal to me based off of the description. I'm really happy that I watched it, though.

I'd recommend giving it a watch
Old 02-28-2013, 04:47 AM   #63680

Feb 2013
Southern California

Went into Best Buy to see if they had The Master (they didn't, had to go to three other stores), I saw this on the shelf and had to buy it. I've been wanting to see it for so long and just couldn't pass it up!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (29.9 KB, 806 views)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors