Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Willow (Blu-ray)
$9.96
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
James Cameron's Deepsea Challenge 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.89
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Hentai Prince & the Stony Cat: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Planet of the Vampires (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$199.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.92
Warrior (Blu-ray)
$5.00
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 05-06-2013, 01:42 AM   #321
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromc69 View Post
Guys seriously i never want to hear the name Jackie chan on a Phantasm forum again. First off Cliff is doing great work im buying most of the Scream factory blu rays , they have great special features and look great. The people trying to say his just putting SD quality on a blu ray disk are blind or plane ignorant. Lets get back to talking about Phantasm and once again if you want to mention Jackie Chan go to one of his forums.
If Don Coscarelli approved this Phantasm II transfer, I'm sad to say he's the one who's going blind.

To be clear, I do not throw the word "upscale" around, and I'm sick of people who do. 90% of the time, when people do throw the word around willy-nilly to describe any transfer that disappoints them, I correct them. But every once in a while, even those people are right. And they're right about this one. Phantasm II is an upscale. Sad but true. BD offers less compression than DVD, but there isn't a shred more image detail.

Last edited by Oblivion138; 05-06-2013 at 01:45 AM.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:50 PM   #322

Sep 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorrorBlu View Post
The Scream Factory blu-ray is unquestionably an improvement...Another quality blu-ray release from Cliff and co.
Completely agree. I'm very happy with the transfer, and own both.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:58 PM   #323

Aug 2009

There's an easy way to see if it's an upscale. Open the screengrab in an image editor, scale it down to 720x480 and then back again to 1920x1080. If that image is virtually identical to the unscaled image... well, you take a guess.

Phantasm II is an upscale. It looks horrible. Blown out whites, colours are off, detail is worse than the DVD. Shout/Scream... you're losing your fans one by one.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:50 PM   #324
Special Member

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus View Post
Phantasm II is an upscale. It looks horrible. Blown out whites, colours are off, detail is worse than the DVD. Shout/Scream... you're losing your fans one by one.
Well...I don't know about that.

If this is indeed an upscale (and it looks that way), it's a disappointment. (To be honest, I didn't really notice while watching -- it was problematic in some respects, but an upscale?!)

But weighing that against the other work that Scream has done, it's a drop in the bucket.

Maybe I'm just saying that because, while I like the film, it's never been a desert island choice (good though it is, it's a shadow of the original).

They Live was a bigger disappointment for me -- I can't take the EE.

And I don't want to say that Scream has no responsibility here, but weren't these two transfers created by/overseen by Universal?
Old 05-08-2013, 06:53 PM   #325
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
Metropolis

I would call it a horribly dated HD transfer with a very poor effective resolution, over a pure upscale from an SD source.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:53 PM   #326
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010

It doesn't look like an old HD transfer, though...it looks like an upscale.

An old HD transfer would still show more detail than the DVD. This BD image does not. At least not in any side-by-side I've seen. If anyone has seen such a comparison, let me know. Until then, all the available evidence points to an upscale.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:09 PM   #327

Nov 2009
Amsterdam

maybe you should buy it, instead of judging by some screencaps.

i have it on blu-ray and it looked pretty good to me.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:19 PM   #328
Banned

Jan 2013

I agree i dont understand all the hate i thought it looked great on blu ray. Alot of trolls on here.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:48 PM   #329
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2008

The cropping is bad enough, never mind any other shenanigans.

Last edited by Sky_Captain; 05-09-2013 at 12:00 AM.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:29 AM   #330

Aug 2009

Exactly, Sky_Captain. Even more clearly:

Old 05-09-2013, 10:25 AM   #331
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010

But it looks great!! TROLLS!!!!!!!

That's right...having standards makes you trolls. What, no one told you?
Old 05-10-2013, 02:03 AM   #332
Special Member

Aug 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus View Post
Exactly, Sky_Captain. Even more clearly:

Unless the left side is part of the soundtrack area and wasn't meant to be seen?
Old 05-10-2013, 10:58 AM   #333

Jul 2012
The Netherlands
Send a message via MSN to kinkyqueen

Oh boy...
Old 05-11-2013, 01:45 AM   #334
Expert Member

Aug 2009

Said I wouldn't comment again until I had the disc... well, I do now. Who's excited?

I found some of the sharpest line work on the disc I could and decided to try the Downscale-Upscale test. The results suggest it's got more resolution than a PAL master after all, but... well, the difference is pretty damned subtle, and seems to be non-existent on a large number of scenes:

[Show spoiler]
Full 1080p Original:

1080p > 576p > 1080p:

There's more to an HD master than resolution, but on this front PHANTASM 2 appears to be legit... if underwhelming. I can only assume a combination of ancient hardware and heavy digital processing have limited real-world resolution to the bare minimum. It's not nefarious, just crumby, and you have to go out of your way to find anything in focus enough that'll "prove" it's not an upscale. Caps-A-Holic's comparison is perfectly accurate, they just didn't go out of their way to pick scenes that look better than others. Doesn't make the comparisons wrong, just incomplete.

Either way, though, this transfer's ugly. Even ignoring the boosted contrast and framing oddities we've already discussed at length, the DVNR is over the top. Daylight scenes tend to have zero grain at all and a hazy smearing on everything but edges of moving objects. The print is so unstable with judder that you wind up with a sticky, waxy mess that only looks "alive" because everything's squirming back and fourth under the digital processing. It's the most unpleasant looking transfer I've seen in a while because of that alone, and while I'd have little trouble believing Universal did some or all of this damage when they made a master 10+ years ago, that doesn't make the results any less awful.

For an example of what grain should NOT look like, take a peek here. Big, waxy clumps on the guy running and virtually no grain anywhere else? Yeah, that's not a major temporal DVNR artifacts or anything...

[Show spoiler]

And what the hell is up with that 'digital static' at the top of the screen? Literally, what is that? I've never seen it before on any other title.

Was it unfair of me to assume it was an upscale based on a handful of screenshots? Eh, probably. But it's not trolling to say this disc looks pretty pants, even when compared only to the rest of Scream Factory's output. I won't begrudge anyone for being satisfied with a film that's probably always looked "meh" on video, nor will I complain about the exhaustive special features... but guys, you can do better with the transfer. I don't care if Coscarelli signed off on this or not; it's a below average effort from a company that typically does a lot better.

Looking forward to those VHS-Tastic special features, though. Can't complain about those, no sir.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:50 AM   #335
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010
Ohio

Why the hell are people complaining, if they don't like the transfer then just import the expensive Anchor Bay Region 2 disc which may or may not be the one with the extras. Save the Blu-ray and slipcovers for us fans.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:11 AM   #336
Expert Member

Aug 2009

...because Shout Factory have proven they can do a lot better, and shouldn't get a free pass when they release something that looks "meh", at best? And because being told "Import a DVD, geez!" should never have be a retort one has to use when a Blu-ray isn't all it could be?

I love the fact that Shout Factory are releasing these titles at all, and I think they usually do an adequate-to-fantastic job of it, materials depending. Odds are THE BURNING will be my favorite disc of the year. But that doesn't mean we can't be disappointed or frustrated.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:34 AM   #337
Special Member

Aug 2010

If anyone has seen Uni's dvd of PHANTASM II, they'd realize it's the same master and they handed it over to Shout, it's what they had and what they wanted released -- as is the case for situations like this. They probably refused to do a new transfer and said 'take it or leave it' -- unless Shout was able to justify an all new scan and clean up.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:30 AM   #338
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekkie313 View Post
Why the hell are people complaining, if they don't like the transfer then just import the expensive Anchor Bay Region 2 disc which may or may not be the one with the extras. Save the Blu-ray and slipcovers for us fans.
Wait...people aren't supposed to complain when BD's look like glorified DVD's? Are we just supposed to swallow any crap that gets shoveled onto a disc?

I'd assume that people are complaining because they were hoping for a BD transfer that looked HD.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:15 AM   #339
Special Member

Aug 2010

It doesn't look HD, it *is* HD.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:51 AM   #340
Banned

Aug 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgart13 View Post
It doesn't look HD, it *is* HD.
LOL! This is actually really funny!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America