Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Soon: Pocketful of Miracles ()

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Beguiled (Blu-ray)
$6.49
Planet of the Apes Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.99
E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
John Wick (Blu-ray)
$5.96
Planet of the Apes Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Westworld: Season One (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Star Trek Enterprise: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$45.99
Deadpool 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Kiki's Delivery Service (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Spirited Away (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Mummy 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Spider-Man: Homecoming 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.01
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2012, 11:28 PM   #21
soundwave628 soundwave628 is offline
Senior Member
 
Jul 2011
Default

i can't seem to find one on radioshacks website but I see a ton on amazon, any recommendations out of those on amazon?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:32 PM   #22
Big Daddy Big Daddy is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Big Daddy's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
Southern California
79
122
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundwave628 View Post
i can't seem to find one on radioshacks website but I see a ton on amazon, any recommendations out of those on amazon?
I created the following thread a couple of years ago. It is possible that some of the links may be dead. I will have to check them when I have some time.

Calibrating Your Audio With an SPL Meter
HT Room: Panasonic PT-AE8000, Epson 1080UB Proj., Mitsubishi 65" Diamond Series HD TV, Yamaha-RX-A3010 Rec., CinePro 6-Ch. Amp. (350 W/Ch, 8 Ohm), Proton D1200 Amp., Behringer EP4000 & EPX3000 Amps., Oppo BDP-83, Sony BDP-S790, Audio Technica Tuntable, Mitsubishi S-VHS, 2 Def. Tech. Super Towers w 15" subs, 1 Def. Tech. Center & 1 Martin-Logan Center, 2 Def. Tech. Surr. & 2 PSB Surr., 2 Cadence Presence, 2 Bose 901 Rears, 2 Modified HSU 12" Subs, 1 ED DIY 12" Sub, 1 ED DIY 15" Sub, Velodyne SMS-1 Subwoofer Equalizer, DirecTV HD, Monster HTS 5000 & APC H15 Power Conditioners.
Two-Channel Room: XiangSheng Tube Preamp., Carver TFM-45 Amp. (375 W/Ch), Behringer EPX4000 Amp., Onkyo CD player, Denon Turntable, Yamaha Tuner, 2 Vintage Polk RTA-15TL Speakers, 2 LCY 100 Super Tweeters, 2 DIY Folded Horn Super Towers with 15" Sub., 1 Modified AA HD-SUB12
Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" Diamond Series TV, Yamaha DSP-A3090 Rec., DirecTV HD-DVR, PS3, Zvox Speaker, 1 DIY 12" Sub.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:37 PM   #23
Big Daddy Big Daddy is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Big Daddy's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
Southern California
79
122
1
Default

I just found out that this used Radio Shack Digital Spl meter is available on Ebay. If it is in good condition, that is a very good price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Radioshack-S...item5895fbea5f
HT Room: Panasonic PT-AE8000, Epson 1080UB Proj., Mitsubishi 65" Diamond Series HD TV, Yamaha-RX-A3010 Rec., CinePro 6-Ch. Amp. (350 W/Ch, 8 Ohm), Proton D1200 Amp., Behringer EP4000 & EPX3000 Amps., Oppo BDP-83, Sony BDP-S790, Audio Technica Tuntable, Mitsubishi S-VHS, 2 Def. Tech. Super Towers w 15" subs, 1 Def. Tech. Center & 1 Martin-Logan Center, 2 Def. Tech. Surr. & 2 PSB Surr., 2 Cadence Presence, 2 Bose 901 Rears, 2 Modified HSU 12" Subs, 1 ED DIY 12" Sub, 1 ED DIY 15" Sub, Velodyne SMS-1 Subwoofer Equalizer, DirecTV HD, Monster HTS 5000 & APC H15 Power Conditioners.
Two-Channel Room: XiangSheng Tube Preamp., Carver TFM-45 Amp. (375 W/Ch), Behringer EPX4000 Amp., Onkyo CD player, Denon Turntable, Yamaha Tuner, 2 Vintage Polk RTA-15TL Speakers, 2 LCY 100 Super Tweeters, 2 DIY Folded Horn Super Towers with 15" Sub., 1 Modified AA HD-SUB12
Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" Diamond Series TV, Yamaha DSP-A3090 Rec., DirecTV HD-DVR, PS3, Zvox Speaker, 1 DIY 12" Sub.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:00 AM   #24
BillyMM BillyMM is offline
Junior Member
 
Dec 2008
1213
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
Turn the crossover on the back of the subwoofer to 120Hz.
I'm running directly from the SubOut on the AVR into the LineIn (unfiltered) on the sub, so the sub's control are bypassed (as you recommend). I was actually concerned about the setting for the Crossover inside the AVR... Since it's only one optional setting, will I lose any of the LFE if I set this single optional setting down to 80 instead of keeping it all the way up to 120 (in order to get all the LFE effects)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
Something is strange about your receiver. Do you hear the subwoofer at all? Does the subwoofer's driver move when you touch it?
I definitely hear the sub, and it's functioning... definitely getting lots of bass. I was just concerned that the settings in the AVR continue to be -15db all the time, even if I move the sub away from the corner and even if I turn the volume on the sub down to 30%. Will I lose anything by turning the sub's volume down even lower?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
You are probably better off purchasing an SPL meter from Radio Shack and checking the levels of the speakers and the subwoofer.

It may not be a bad idea to save money and replace your receiver. Make sure you buy a receiver that allows for different crossover settings and has a better Audyssey than 2EQ. Onkyo and Denon have many options. Sell the old receiver on Ebay.
I appreciate the suggestions for the different equipment, so I'll be in the shopping mode this holiday season for a newer AVR and an SPL.... Thanks again.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:14 AM   #25
Big Daddy Big Daddy is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Big Daddy's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
Southern California
79
122
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMM View Post
I'm running directly from the SubOut on the AVR into the LineIn (unfiltered) on the sub, so the sub's control are bypassed (as you recommend). I was actually concerned about the setting for the Crossover inside the AVR... Since it's only one optional setting, will I lose any of the LFE if I set this single optional setting down to 80 instead of keeping it all the way up to 120 (in order to get all the LFE effects)?



I definitely hear the sub, and it's functioning... definitely getting lots of bass. I was just concerned that the settings in the AVR continue to be -15db all the time, even if I move the sub away from the corner and even if I turn the volume on the sub down to 30%. Will I lose anything by turning the sub's volume down even lower?



I appreciate the suggestions for the different equipment, so I'll be in the shopping mode this holiday season for a newer AVR and an SPL.... Thanks again.
A crossover of 80Hz is ok. There are two reasons why you should not worry:
  1. Crossover frequencies are not precise cutoff points. They have a slope where the frequencies above or below the cutoff frequency are eliminated.
  2. There is not that much information from 80Hz to 120Hz to lose sleep over.
Go ahead and lower the level of the subwoofer and experiment. As long as you can hear enough bass and are satisfied, the numbers are not important.
HT Room: Panasonic PT-AE8000, Epson 1080UB Proj., Mitsubishi 65" Diamond Series HD TV, Yamaha-RX-A3010 Rec., CinePro 6-Ch. Amp. (350 W/Ch, 8 Ohm), Proton D1200 Amp., Behringer EP4000 & EPX3000 Amps., Oppo BDP-83, Sony BDP-S790, Audio Technica Tuntable, Mitsubishi S-VHS, 2 Def. Tech. Super Towers w 15" subs, 1 Def. Tech. Center & 1 Martin-Logan Center, 2 Def. Tech. Surr. & 2 PSB Surr., 2 Cadence Presence, 2 Bose 901 Rears, 2 Modified HSU 12" Subs, 1 ED DIY 12" Sub, 1 ED DIY 15" Sub, Velodyne SMS-1 Subwoofer Equalizer, DirecTV HD, Monster HTS 5000 & APC H15 Power Conditioners.
Two-Channel Room: XiangSheng Tube Preamp., Carver TFM-45 Amp. (375 W/Ch), Behringer EPX4000 Amp., Onkyo CD player, Denon Turntable, Yamaha Tuner, 2 Vintage Polk RTA-15TL Speakers, 2 LCY 100 Super Tweeters, 2 DIY Folded Horn Super Towers with 15" Sub., 1 Modified AA HD-SUB12
Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" Diamond Series TV, Yamaha DSP-A3090 Rec., DirecTV HD-DVR, PS3, Zvox Speaker, 1 DIY 12" Sub.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:48 AM   #26
BillyMM BillyMM is offline
Junior Member
 
Dec 2008
1213
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
A crossover of 80Hz is ok. There are two reasons why you should not worry:
  1. Crossover frequencies are not precise cutoff points. They have a slope where the frequencies above or below the cutoff frequency are eliminated.
  2. There is not that much information from 80Hz to 120Hz to lose sleep over.
Go ahead and lower the level of the subwoofer and experiment. As long as you can hear enough bass and are satisfied, the numbers are not important.
Sounds like my project tonight is playing with the subwoofer volume and Audyssey to see what sounds best... You've been a great help - Thanks much.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:27 AM   #27
JOMV JOMV is offline
Member
 
JOMV's Avatar
 
Sep 2012
Puerto Rico
Default

Thanks, BD!!!... I hope to begin all the setups soon. I'll keep you posted!

MUCH APPRECIATED!!!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:45 PM   #28
tecnogadget tecnogadget is offline
Junior Member
 
tecnogadget's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
Argentina
28
Default

Hi , could somebody please help me to choose the Crossover Frequency?
Receiver: Yamaha Rxv 667
Main Front-Left speaker: Boston Acoustics VR1 46hz to 20khz
Center : Tannoy Mercury FC Custom 62Hz to 20kHz
Surround: Boston Acoustics CR67 62Hz to 20kHz
Back Surround: Boston Acoustics CR57 80Hz to 20kHz

Following Big Daddy guide about the main front speakers would suggest choosing 80hz.
Is that okey?
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:10 PM   #29
hometheatergeek hometheatergeek is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
hometheatergeek's Avatar
 
Feb 2008
Near Atlanta GA
47
222
49
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecnogadget View Post
Hi , could somebody please help me to choose the Crossover Frequency?
Receiver: Yamaha Rxv 667
Main Front-Left speaker: Boston Acoustics VR1 46hz to 20khz
Center : Tannoy Mercury FC Custom 62Hz to 20kHz
Surround: Boston Acoustics CR67 62Hz to 20kHz
Back Surround: Boston Acoustics CR57 80Hz to 20kHz

Following Big Daddy guide about the main front speakers would suggest choosing 80hz.
Is that okey?
If I remember correctly on that Yamaha you only have a universal x-over setting and can not set up the other speakers independently correct? So sir that is a good starting point.
AL
“If at first you don't succeed, try something easier.”

Sharp Quattron LC-70LE735U Oppo BDP-103 Pioneer Elite CLD-79 Darbeevision DVP-5000
Denon AVR-4311ci, DR-M10HX Monster HTS-5000 Outlaw Model 750
Klipsch Forte II, RP-450CA, IW-100, KSB 1.1
Velodyne VA 1012 Hsu Research ULS-15 Triple Drive
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:13 PM   #30
tecnogadget tecnogadget is offline
Junior Member
 
tecnogadget's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
Argentina
28
Default

Yes you are right , the universal x-over is a limitation factor. I'll start then with 80hz and go up if necessary
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:32 PM   #31
tecnogadget tecnogadget is offline
Junior Member
 
tecnogadget's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
Argentina
28
Default

Well....after some time of testing + trial and error , i found 60hz the best Crossover frequency , even if Big Daddy and other people recommend higher ones , this gave me the best blending between Front speakers and Sub.
I have to say that the VR1 having only Dual 6˝" woofers have lots of bass , they are very capable of deep bass. You can notice when listening in Pure Direct.
I realized that when listening to music using the subwoofer at 80hz or higher in Straight mode (Yamaha 667 amp) and then switching to Pure Direct (only the Front speakers-no subwoofer- no bass management) i would feel the lack of bass , the Bostons VR1 alone were giving me better bass reproduction than the subwoofer.
Using higher crossover frequency than 60hz resulted in a very obvious lack of bass .
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:26 PM   #32
hometheatergeek hometheatergeek is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
hometheatergeek's Avatar
 
Feb 2008
Near Atlanta GA
47
222
49
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecnogadget View Post
Well....after some time of testing + trial and error , i found 60hz the best Crossover frequency , even if Big Daddy and other people recommend higher ones , this gave me the best blending between Front speakers and Sub.
I have to say that the VR1 having only Dual 6˝" woofers have lots of bass , they are very capable of deep bass. You can notice when listening in Pure Direct.
I realized that when listening to music using the subwoofer at 80hz or higher in Straight mode (Yamaha 667 amp) and then switching to Pure Direct (only the Front speakers-no subwoofer- no bass management) i would feel the lack of bass , the Bostons VR1 alone were giving me better bass reproduction than the subwoofer.
Using higher crossover frequency than 60hz resulted in a very obvious lack of bass .
What sub are you using?
AL
“If at first you don't succeed, try something easier.”

Sharp Quattron LC-70LE735U Oppo BDP-103 Pioneer Elite CLD-79 Darbeevision DVP-5000
Denon AVR-4311ci, DR-M10HX Monster HTS-5000 Outlaw Model 750
Klipsch Forte II, RP-450CA, IW-100, KSB 1.1
Velodyne VA 1012 Hsu Research ULS-15 Triple Drive
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:42 AM   #33
tecnogadget tecnogadget is offline
Junior Member
 
tecnogadget's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
Argentina
28
Default

Boston Acoustics Sub 10 - 100W - 10" driver - Down firing -
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:28 AM.