Best PS4 Deals

Top PS4 Deals, Cheap PS4 Games!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Rocksmith 2014 Edition (Blu-ray)
$39.99

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (Blu-ray)
$24.99
3 hrs ago
Assassin's Creed: Unity (Blu-ray)
$39.99

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (Blu-ray)
$39.99

Duck Dynasty (Blu-ray)
$24.99

FIFA 15 (Blu-ray)
$39.99

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Murdered: Soul Suspect (Blu-ray)
$26.68

Far Cry 4 (Blu-ray)
$48.88

Disney Infinity: Marvel Super Heroes (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Tomb Raider (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Madden NFL 15 (Blu-ray)
$39.99

NAtURAL DOCtRINE (Blu-ray)
$42.60
1 hr ago
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4

Old 06-15-2013, 04:25 PM   #1
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2007
United Kingdom
Default General Headset/Compatibility Discussion Thread

Good news for people who have Turtle Beach Headsets
Quote:
If you're still on the fence about whether to go for an Xbox One or PS4, a bit of headset news may help you make your decision.
According to Ike Sainoi, a Turtle Beach product manager we spoke with at E3 2013, the company's PS3 headsets should work with the next-gen PS4.
"From what we understand, we do believe that our current headsets will work with the PS4 as it stands," Sainoi said. "Of course, nothing is quite concrete yet, but from what we've heard and the conversations we've had, it should work with the PS4 when it comes out."
He emphasized that compatibility isn't a complete guarantee yet, but for now it appears Turtle Beach's PS3 headsets are indeed good-to-go with the new console.
We're waiting to hear back from the company if headsets designed for earlier Sony systems can plug in as well, and will provide an update when we have more information.
Knock against Xbox One

As you've probably heard by now, the Xbox One controller features a proprietary audio jack that's incompatible with Xbox 360 and other current-gen headsets, meaning consumers will need to buy a new pair as manufacturers make them.
Turtle Beach was the first headset maker to announce a pair of headsets specifically designed for Microsoft's console, the Ear Force XO Seven and Ear Force XO Four.
Since then, Polk has introduced the 4 Shot headphones for the console and Microsoft itself has outed its own Xbox One Chat Headset.
Turtle Beach's Xbox One headsets come with an adapter that allows them to connect to the console's controller, Sainoi said.
We've also asked Sony for more info on the PS4's headset compatibility situation, and will let you know what the company says when we hear back.
The console will come with a Sony-made headset, similar to the one produced by Apple. The design right now is single earbud connected to a wire that has a microphone/volume control, Adam Boyes, vice president of developer and publisher relations, said during an E3 roundtable.
Source
PSN: G1ggs_Spud
Battlelog: G1ggsy
BF4Stats: G1ggs_Spud
Destiny: G1ggs_Spud
Old 06-16-2013, 09:11 AM   #2

Nov 2007
Opera Garnier
Send a message via MSN to Toxa

I hope it means all ps3 headset will work on ps4
DLP = True Blu-ray Experience
The HD-DVD is DEAD since May 2005

AVC, DTS-HD MA & LPCM supporter

W3LCOM3 CHANG3 PS3

"Gran Turismo 5 isn't just a game it's a lifestyle" Bageara

I was also amaze to see that Cruise retrieve the face he had 8 years ago (2005)
Old 06-16-2013, 02:36 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2010

I just bought a pulse headset to go with my PS3 and TLOU! So I hope its going to work.
"I'm going to put a hit on you when I get my welfare check"

Mike Epps
Old 06-21-2013, 11:59 PM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2012
Knoxville, TN

What are some good Turtle headphones under $100?
Old 06-23-2013, 07:37 PM   #5
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2008
Champlin, MN
Default Afterglow Headset on PS4?

I was looking into getting an afterglow headset and was wondering if anyone has heard anything about them working on PS4? I don't chat online so this is just to have a set of headphones for my PS4. I may use them for chatting but that's not the main purpose of them.

Just looking for a cheapish set of headphones really that will work on the PS4.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:01 PM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007

Since it's not out yet no one can tell you with 100% certainty that anything will work. But if it's USB dongled or Bluetooth you can assume they'll work.
Like zombies?

Check out my web series coming this summer! facebook.com/TalesOfA5thGradeZombieSlayer
Old 10-11-2013, 01:12 AM   #7
Power Member

Oct 2009
Mobile, AL
Default Bluetooth headsets won't work at launch - patched in later

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...read-this.aspx

Quote:
Yesterday, we received a note from Astro Gaming (whom we've recently spoken with about next-gen audio) indicating that their headsets will work for chat on the PlayStation 4 just not right away. This prompted us to dig a little deeper and find out what gaming headset owners can expect on November 15.

The answer we received from Sony is complicated. If you have a Sony-branded PULSE gaming headset (or the elite edition of that product), you will need to wait for a system update coming in the future. It seems that those will not work at all at launch.

Any other headset that relies on bluetooth for chat will not work at all. If you have something that relies on USB for chat (like the Astro mixamps and Astro A50 wireless system), you'll eventually be able to use those. An update will be coming in the future.

Any headset that relies on digital optical for game audio will continue to provide that out of the box. You just won't be able to chat yet.

The situation is similar for the Xbox One. The connector on the controller is completely different, and until Microsoft delivers the adapter it has promised, you won't be able chat using legacy devices. Both the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 will come with a headset in the box, and there's always the option to use the Kinect as a microphone (but if you have dogs or kids, please don't).

Our Take
While it's good that these headsets will eventually work, it's a shame that both platform holders won't be ready to support them at launch. Gaming headsets are significant investments that can cost hundreds of dollars.

I know that technology moves on and changes are required to improve the overall experience. That doesn't make me any happier that my $300 headset won't work with my new consoles right away.
Crazy that they won't have this working on day one. I find this hard to believe. If they're just using Bluetooth, why wouldn't legacy Bluetooth mics work on day one? Seems like those protocols would be the same.

Still, at least they're including that earbud thing, so no one will be left out for chat at launch if this is true. Seems kinda' odd for this to be a thing. I'm sure they'll patch it quickly though.
Onkyo TX-NR3010 AVR
Polk Audio RTi70 Mains, CSi40 Center, FXi50 sides, RTi28 rears and heights
Emotiva XPA-3 amp
SVS 20-39CS+ sub on Crown XLS-1500 amp
Epson 8500UB 1080p projector on 120" Elite Screens Sable
Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
Darbee Darblet video processor
Old 10-11-2013, 01:15 AM   #8
Expert Member

Aug 2011

Yeah... I have the PS3 headset that was out before the Pulse ones. Looks like I'm out of luck. They need an official PS4 Pulse-esque offering. I'd upgrade to one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4
Old 10-11-2013, 01:47 AM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011
Connecticut

I use a simple $10 BT earpeice I got from staples, so I'm out of luck as well?
Got my first Blu-ray on September 28th 2011!
100 Blu-ray's on 2/10/13

PS4 tag= Subaru1324
Old 10-11-2013, 02:25 AM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2007
San Antonio, TX

Well that sucks. I have the wireless stereo headset.
PSN: ratandjmt
Old 10-11-2013, 02:53 AM   #11
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2008
San Diego, Ca.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoldwood View Post
Yeah... I have the PS3 headset that was out before the Pulse ones. Looks like I'm out of luck. They need an official PS4 Pulse-esque offering. I'd upgrade to one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4
I have the same ones but it did state that they would patch in our headsets at a later date. As Rev stated at least we have the included ear bud for chat @ launch.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using carrier pigeons.
"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going."
Launch Day PS4 1TB FW 2.03
Polk Monitor 50's Mains, CSI A4 Center, RTI A1s & 2 SVS Subs / PSN ID: Omegaice
Old 10-11-2013, 05:12 AM   #12
Blu-ray Duke

Nov 2007
8 1 8 Biatch!! L.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegaice View Post
I have the same ones but it did state that they would patch in our headsets at a later date. As Rev stated at least we have the included ear bud for chat @ launch.

I like my Socom headset
R.I.P Rage 2008-2014 (banned)
Old 10-11-2013, 06:38 AM   #13
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2008
San Diego, Ca.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizdady View Post
I like my Socom headset
Ha! I still have mine!

Old 10-11-2013, 01:22 PM   #14
Power Member

Oct 2009
Mobile, AL

It's not a huge issue, because I'm sure they'll be pretty quick on patching that in. I just think it's odd that something as simple as Bluetooth for chat isn't working at launch. There are tons of people counting on using their existing gear. Maybe they're just trying to do full compatibility across the board rather than add support piecemeal over time.
Onkyo TX-NR3010 AVR
Polk Audio RTi70 Mains, CSi40 Center, FXi50 sides, RTi28 rears and heights
Emotiva XPA-3 amp
SVS 20-39CS+ sub on Crown XLS-1500 amp
Epson 8500UB 1080p projector on 120" Elite Screens Sable
Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
Darbee Darblet video processor
Old 10-11-2013, 02:43 PM   #15
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007

This confuses me. Does this mean other Bluetooth devices will have issues as well?

Like is it a bluetooth compatibility issue?
Old 10-11-2013, 03:39 PM   #16
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2007
AZ

I think there is something strange going on with the Bluetooth system in the PS4.
Why only 4 BT controllers on PS4 when the PS3 could do 7?
How then is the PS4 compatible with the Move?

Why would the BT bluetooth headsets not be compatible when it's such a standard thing at this point in time?

Time is the School in Which We Learn
Time is the Fire in Which We Burn

Delmore Schwartz (1913-1966)
Old 10-11-2013, 03:59 PM   #17
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2009
Middle TN
Send a message via AIM to nremdn

I am shocked that ReveredSlim is the one posting negative news on the PS4.
Mr. Beautiful Emotionally Handicapped
PSN: nremdn
Battlelog: nremdn
Pigeon Boys #01
Old 10-11-2013, 06:28 PM   #18
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2007
AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by nremdn View Post
I am shocked that ReveredSlim is the one posting negative news on the PS4.
Particularly when the situation (as noted in the article, but in a very much muted manner) is similar or worse on the Xbox One.

Quote:
The situation is similar for the Xbox One. The connector on the controller is completely different, and until Microsoft delivers the adapter it has promised, you won't be able chat using legacy devices.

The only thing MS has promised is that eventually (when the adapter is released separately) consumers "should" be able to use a wide variety of -Wired- Headsets.

At least here Sony has confirmed that the Pulse (based on a USB adapter, not BT) will eventually work.

Everything we read about this leads me to think that Sony has increased the bandwidth requirement of each BT accessory, meaning that -each- element (DS4 controller specifically) takes not one but two BT channels. This would also explain why the PS3 remote would not work, if they have completely redesigned the BT like this. My other guess is that if you register a Move with your PS4, the number of controllers usable (beside the Move) goes down to 3.
If you also register a Tv/ PS4 remote (if such an accessory eventually appears), it could go down to 2.

It is only my guess, but I think it makes sense.

Time is the School in Which We Learn
Time is the Fire in Which We Burn

Delmore Schwartz (1913-1966)
Old 10-11-2013, 06:58 PM   #19
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2008
San Diego, Ca.
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elandyll View Post
At least here Sony has confirmed that the Pulse (based on a USB adapter, not BT) will eventually work.
Everything we read about this leads me to think that Sony has increased the bandwidth requirement of each BT accessory, meaning that -each- element (DS4 controller specifically) takes not one but two BT channels. This would also explain why the PS3 remote would not work, if they have completely redesigned the BT like this. My other guess is that if you register a Move with your PS4, the number of controllers usable (beside the Move) goes down to 3.
If you also register a Tv/ PS4 remote (if such an accessory eventually appears), it could go down to 2.

It is only my guess, but I think it makes sense.
You make a good point aboot the updated BW requirement for BT usage. One thing I'm a little off on is your statement that I bolded above. The Sony stereo headsets operate off of a USB dongle as well. Does that model have a chance of working on the PS4 too? I guess I assumed that they would because they have only been out for a couple of years or so.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:18 PM   #20
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2008
Wrestling in Ireland. PSNetwork: Nerdkiller316PSN Nerds beaten up: Loads
Send a message via MSN to Nerdkiller likes BD Send a message via Skype™ to Nerdkiller likes BD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegaice View Post
Ha! I still have mine!

Mine's still around the house somewhere, but yeah, it's stupid that somehow we can't use Bluetooth headsets with the PS4 now.
"GIT OUTTA MY OFFICE!" -Matt Groening

My stance on Anime...I just can't understand any of it, everyone is either a 10 year old girl or a monster.

"NANOMACHINES, SON!"

Please...just call me NK if you're chatting to me.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4