Best Blu-ray Deals

Black Friday Week is Live, $3.99 Blu-ray Movies »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Person of Interest: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Lone Survivor (Blu-ray)
$7.99

X-Men: First Class (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Rise of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$3.99

The Avengers (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Son of Batman (Blu-ray)
$8.00
8 hrs ago
You Only Live Twice (Blu-ray)
$3.99
7 hrs ago
The Princess Bride (Blu-ray)
$3.99

A Good Day to Die Hard (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 6 (Blu-ray)
$31.99

Prometheus (Blu-ray)
$3.99

The Terminator (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 06-30-2013, 04:53 PM   #1441

Apr 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio5oh View Post
Thinking of getting an Oppo 103. I have a few questions. Those of you that have owned a Sony blu ray player such as the BDP-S570, S780 or S790, how do you compare the picture quality on both players? You guys notice a difference with dvd's and blu rays with the Oppo? How about Netflix streaming? You guys experience any rebuffering or loss of signal when using the Oppo as compared to the Sony?
I had a Sony BDP-S1 prior to replacing it with an Oppo 103. I've found that after readjusting the color (I believe that the Sony was boosting chroma output slightly above standard), they look much the same when playing 1080p Blu-ray. I have a few Blu-ray discs that had a few scenes that contain considerable video noise, and the Sony seemed to emphasize the noise more than the Oppo does. It is possible that the noise is being reduced by the undefeatable noise reduction applied by the QDEO processor on the HDMI 1 output on the Oppo. I've not tried watching these scenes on the HDMI 2 output (which eliminates the QDEO noise reduction). Other than this 1080p material looks about the same on both. The Oppo does do a considerably better job of de-interlacing and scaling than the Sony did on all other material including DVDs. Of course the S1 didn't have Netflix streaming so I can't compare that.

I was considering the Sony BDP-S790 as an alternative when I purchased the Oppo. From everything I looked at the S790 is a very close contender, but it failed a couple of the cadence tests that the Oppo passed, and its output has some very small variances from standard. In my opinion the Sony BDP-S790 only falls very slightly short of the reference level set by the Oppo BDP-103.

I found these articles the most helpful in comparing the Sony BDP-S790 with the Oppo BDP-103:

The Sony BDP-S790 Blu-ray Player On The Bench

The Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray Player on The Bench

Last edited by KC-Technerd; 06-30-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:31 AM   #1442

Nov 2007
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post
I had a Sony BDP-S1 prior to replacing it with an Oppo 103. I've found that after readjusting the color (I believe that the Sony was boosting chroma output slightly above standard), they look much the same when playing 1080p Blu-ray. I have a few Blu-ray discs that had a few scenes that contain considerable video noise, and the Sony seemed to emphasize the noise more than the Oppo does. It is possible that the noise is being reduced by the undefeatable noise reduction applied by the QDEO processor on the HDMI 1 output on the Oppo. I've not tried watching these scenes on the HDMI 2 output (which eliminates the QDEO noise reduction). Other than this 1080p material looks about the same on both. The Oppo does do a considerably better job of de-interlacing and scaling than the Sony did on all other material including DVDs. Of course the S1 didn't have Netflix streaming so I can't compare that.

I was considering the Sony BDP-S790 as an alternative when I purchased the Oppo. From everything I looked at the S790 is a very close contender, but it failed a couple of the cadence tests that the Oppo passed, and its output has some very small variances from standard. In my opinion the Sony BDP-S790 only falls very slightly short of the reference level set by the Oppo BDP-103.

I found these articles the most helpful in comparing the Sony BDP-S790 with the Oppo BDP-103:

The Sony BDP-S790 Blu-ray Player On The Bench

The Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray Player on The Bench
It so happens I have the Sony S790, but I was going to give it to my daughter and upgrade to the Oppo 103. Another alternative was to get a Sony BDP-S3100 and give her that instead and keep the S790 in the main family room. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:59 AM   #1443
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2011

In the avforums review I read >>>

Quote:
The only thing missing is a dedicated stereo analogue output but you can downconvert the 7.1 channels to two channels if for some reason you want stereo audio output.
Source:
http://www.avforums.com/reviews/Oppo...30/Review.html

How exactly can you downconvert the 7.1 channels to two channels...via menu settings ?
Old 07-02-2013, 12:38 PM   #1444

Apr 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post
In the avforums review I read >>>

Source:
http://www.avforums.com/reviews/Oppo...30/Review.html

How exactly can you downconvert the 7.1 channels to two channels...via menu settings ?
Exactly. It's under Audio Processing, Speaker Configuration, Down Mix. LT/RT and Stereo are the available 2 channel modes. Page 68 in the user manual (US Model). You'll also want to turn the Subwoofer off in the Speaker Configuration menu unless you are using the analog SW output for a subwoofer.

Last edited by KC-Technerd; 07-02-2013 at 12:46 PM.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:09 AM   #1445

Jan 2012
Houston

OK I'm pretty upset right now.

I got my 103 a few weeks back and here are my experiences so far.

1st viewing - Treasure Planet bluray
got a few handshake issues where I lost visual for a few secs.

2nd viewing - Alien bluray
The minute the 20th Century Fox logo comes on I get super loud screeching noise from my speakers.

3rd viewing - Dune Miniseries DVD (Zone 2)
As i was told before buying the player that it was zone free for DVDs I put this in the player and got a 'wrong region' message.

Is the 103 not zone free for DVDs???
Old 07-06-2013, 10:34 AM   #1446
Special Member

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakul View Post
OK I'm pretty upset right now.

I got my 103 a few weeks back and here are my experiences so far.

2nd viewing - Alien bluray
The minute the 20th Century Fox logo comes on I get super loud screeching noise from my speakers.

3rd viewing - Dune Miniseries DVD (Zone 2)
As i was told before buying the player that it was zone free for DVDs I put this in the player and got a 'wrong region' message.

Is the 103 not zone free for DVDs???
Handshake issues with other gear will drop the video and continue with sound very briefly when you initially play a film.

Against the loud screeching noise, maybe your home theater system cannot decode DTS in this instance. Try switching from using bitstream to LPCM in the BDP-103 setup menu, or changing what audio track your using in the blu ray menu.

No BD player is zone free you have to utilize SuperDisc (free) for DVD's with the BDP-103.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:15 AM   #1447

Jan 2012
Houston

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
Handshake issues with other gear will drop the video and continue with sound very briefly when you initially play a film.

Against the loud screeching noise, maybe your home theater system cannot decode DTS in this instance. Try switching from using bitstream to LPCM in the BDP-103 setup menu, or changing what audio track your using in the blu ray menu.

No BD player is zone free you have to utilize SuperDisc (free) for DVD's with the BDP-103.
Oh right I completely forgot about the Superdisc thing. My bad.

Thanks for the tip on Audio. I'm pretty sure my Denon AVR and Paradigm speakers can decode DTS but I'll try the switch to see if it helps.

What do you mean when you say "you initially play a film" does that mean the issue goes away after a while?
Old 07-07-2013, 08:08 AM   #1448
Special Member

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakul View Post
What do you mean when you say "you initially play a film" does that mean the issue goes away after a while?
Reference:
Quote:
Quote:
I was at first thinking you were talking about the handshakes occurring when first playing a film where video might drop out and then appear after a couple of seconds. Then going back a page or two see you are commenting on during the playback of the film. I was about to make the same comments as KC, but notice you have a very long HDMI cable going to your projector. Try hooking up a short HDMI run to the same projector to see if it related to HDMI cable you are currently using.

Does the 4810 have the latest software? (DTS)

Last edited by JohnAV; 07-07-2013 at 08:11 AM.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:43 AM   #1449

Apr 2006

Quote:
but notice you have a very long HDMI cable going to your projector. Try hooking up a short HDMI run to the same projector to see if it related to HDMI cable you are currently using.
My thought as well. I'm not certain that a long HDMI cable would cause handshaking problems, or that it would without displaying other issues as well, but I would recommend exploring and eliminating that as a possibility if you can.

Here's some info about HDMI cables and the effects long cable runs can have: Long HDMI Cable Bench Tests - Monster Cable Shootout
Old 07-08-2013, 06:58 AM   #1450

Jan 2012
Houston

I have the exact same cable connecting my AVR (on which my PS3 is hooked) to my projector and no handshake issues at all on it.
Maybe if I switch HDMI 1 to audio and 2 to video could it help?

Also re: DTS PCM and bitstream I'm not sure if my AVR has the latest firmware but watching Alien on my PS3 didn't cause any problems.
And I switch the HDMI Audio from 'Auto' to linear PCM and the issue went away.

PS: superdisk wonders! Put in my Dune miniseries DVD in it and it played no problem.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:06 PM   #1451
Special Member

Sep 2009
Salty City, UT

Which mod method are people finding to be the best? My BDP-103 just arrived in the mail and I want to enable region free on this mother bear ASAP.

Display : Panasonic TC-P55VT50.
Audio : YAMAHA RX-V867.
Media : oppo BDP-103 (region free) / PS3 Slim / Wii U.
Center : polkaudio CS2 Series II.
Front : polkaudio Monitor60 Series II.
Surround : polkaudio Monitor40 Series II.
Subwoofer : polkaudio PSW505.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:34 AM   #1452
Special Member

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by trombone dixie View Post
Which mod method are people finding to be the best? My BDP-103 just arrived in the mail and I want to enable region free on this mother bear ASAP.
See this FAQ. Most have the first one on the hardware mods list.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:37 AM   #1453
Special Member

Sep 2009

Music in the Round #61 - By Kalman Rubinson - Jul 9, 2013

Kal's latest column (July 9) includes a more detailed look at DSD media file support in the BDP-103/105.

Please note the software that enables this is no longer beta, but now a official FW release.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:19 AM   #1454

Jan 2012
Houston

Small update.

I've watched Jurassic Park 2 and 3 on bluray as well on streamed The Call on Cinemanow and got no handshake issues whatsoever so yay!
Old 07-14-2013, 11:34 AM   #1455
Special Member

Sep 2009
Salty City, UT

Quote:
See this FAQ. Most have the first one on the hardware mods list.
Awesome sauce, just placed my order for the part.

Display : Panasonic TC-P55VT50.
Audio : YAMAHA RX-V867.
Media : oppo BDP-103 (region free) / PS3 Slim / Wii U.
Center : polkaudio CS2 Series II.
Front : polkaudio Monitor60 Series II.
Surround : polkaudio Monitor40 Series II.
Subwoofer : polkaudio PSW505.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:01 AM   #1456
Special Member

Sep 2009

Latest Public Beta Test Release

Release date: July 19, 2013.
Category: Latest Public Beta Release

Main Version: BDP10X-58-0719B
Loader Version: 6U0900 or 7B1200 (BDP-103), 7B1200 (BDP-105)
Sub Version: MCU103-05-0916 (BDP-103), MCU105-04-1113 (BDP-105)
Download Link
Installation Instructions and Download Link: Click Here

Release Notes:

This version is designed for the OPPO BDP-103 and BDP-105 Blu-ray Disc players.

Special Notice:
  1. Once this Public Beta firmware is installed on the player, you can revert back to the previous Official release via a USB thumb drive. There will be no issues upgrading to any future official or beta firmware release.
  2. Due to the extensive changes in this major firmware update, it is required that the user performs a "Reset Factory Defaults" operation after the firmware is installed. Please write down your special settings before doing this, and remember to re-apply your settings and adjust the proper volume level (if applicable) before you play any content. You may experience stability issues if this step is not performed.

Comparing to the previous Public Beta release version BDP10X-52-0522B, the major changes included in this version are:
  1. Resolved an issue where the player would slow down, and sometimes freeze entirely, when navigating files on USB connected hard drives. Several customers have reported this issue with their Western Digital external hard drives, and they had to power down the player then power it back on to restore its performance. This issue has been resolved.
  2. Resolved an issue where a loud popping noise could be heard at the end of playing some WAV, MP3, and DSD music tracks.
  3. Resolved an issue where accepting a cable television signal through the HDMI inputs might result in a black screen. Customers reported that if they kept changing the TV channels using the cable remote, sometimes they would only see a black screen on the TV, even though the audio was still ok. In order to restore the video, they had to force a HDMI handshake (changing the input source, hot-plug the HDMI cable, etc.).
  4. Resolved a compatibility issue with certain DSD files.
  5. Added support for the ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec) audio format.
  6. Added support for briefly displaying the current audio information on the player's front panel when switching audio tracks. The audio information is displayed as "Language, Sample rate, Number of channels", such as "ENG 192/5.1". If no language information is available, it will be displayed as "AUD, Sample rate, Number of channels".
  7. Added support for directly switching the input source by pressing the INPUT button followed by a numerical button, e.g., "1" for BLU-RAY PLAYER, "2" for HDMI/MHL-IN FRONT, etc.
  8. General disc compatibility improvements based on recent and upcoming Blu-ray releases as well as user-submitted disc samples.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:20 PM   #1457

Nov 2008
Garland,Tx.

Thanks JohnAV for the heads up on the Oppo firmware update.
Paradigm Ref. 20's-frt and side surrounds
Paradigm Ref. Studio CC/Paradigm Mini Monitors-bk sur
Oppo BDP-105
Emotiva UMC-200
Emotiva XPA-5, XPA-200
Dual PSA XV15s
Panasonic 65ST60, DH Labs Silver Sonic spk cables
Furman PST-8D Power Station
Old 07-22-2013, 04:19 AM   #1458
Blu-ray Guru

May 2007

Is it safe to get an Oppo BDP-103 from 220 Electronics? I want a region free blu-ray player that will play all region blu's and DVD's... Any info is appreciated.
If you don't like what's being said, change the conversation...
Old 07-22-2013, 04:29 AM   #1459
Special Member

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis662 View Post
Can they be modified to support all blu-ray zones & DVD regions ? that's the most important thing to me
Don't need a hardware mod to play all regions DVD's. Blu-ray you do, see the FAQ. Of course they can modified to support all zones. Just better to install the mod yourself as long as it doesn't involve soldering.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:37 AM   #1460
Special Member

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Is it safe to get an Oppo BDP-103 from 220 Electronics? I want a region free blu-ray player that will play all region blu's and DVD's... Any info is appreciated.
This statement from the FAQ says it all.

Quote:
Warranty issues

Technically, modifying the player voids OPPO's warranty, but OPPO has said they have never refused warranty service because of a region-free mod. If they have to remove it to complete the repair they will return the parts to you.

You don't need to remove the mod before sending the player in for service. I would attach a note saying the mod is present.

Note that when buying a pre-modded player it probably doesn't come with the OPPO warranty. That's an advantage of doing it yourself: you keep the warranty.

IMPORTANT: any mod that requires soldering will void the warranty and OPPO will NOT accept a warranty claim. These mods are sometimes used by people selling pre-modded players. Soldering can damage the circuitry and this sort of mod requires custom firmware that OPPO can't deal with. (Source: a dealer in the UK)
If you just want region free DVD playback that just a simple piece of software as shown in the FAQ. I have no knowledge to the type of hardware mod 220 Electronics uses, you'll have to call and find out.

Last edited by JohnAV; 07-22-2013 at 04:42 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders