Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.96
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Strain: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$34.96
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Kundo (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
The Simpsons: The Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.96
Dragon Ball Z: Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Neighbors (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 6 (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Nutty Professor: 50th Anniversary (Blu-ray)
$28.99
Oblivion (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Wrong Turn Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$12.98
The Tim Burton Collection (Blu-ray)
$26.49
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 07-23-2013, 03:15 PM   #1641
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Hazle Township, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by joltman View Post
Does anyone know which Blu-rays have the trailer for Evil Dead on it? I hate when they don't include the trailer, that should be such an easy/obvious special feature.
On older titles ok I can see it but now when you have about 5 different official trailers for each movie it's a little bit ridiculous. If they only put one of them on there then people would be complaining that it's not the one they seen.

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk 2
Various: "Can you kill it?" "I believe something can." "A monster?" "No...a god."

Godzilla Asia Trailer (2014)
Old 07-24-2013, 02:07 AM   #1642

Jul 2011
Angry

How do i get my ultraviolet copy on my computer? i've had nothing but problems.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:17 AM   #1643
Special Member

Jun 2013

Okay, this is bothering me a lot. I got in a somewhat argument with an employee at Best Buy. She told me this:

"Did you know Evil Dead is actually a remake of a REMAKE? Yeah, nobody knows that. There was a movie in the 50s or something that was Evil Dead, but no one heard about it. Then the one everyone thinks was the original [Sam Raimi's The Evil Dead] was actually the sequel to that.

And his Evil Dead II is actually a remake of the original, the 50s one."

I was pissed because she seemed to really believe this was true, because her mom told it to her. But I am 100% sure she is wrong! But it pissed me off that she was feeling so high-and-mighty... ugh.

So just in case I'm wrong, though, does anyone know if that is true? I read that Evil Dead II's opening 10 minutes or so are a remake of The Evil Dead because Sam Raimi lost his licensing rights for it, but that's it. The Evil Dead was originally Sam Raimi's creation, right?

I asked her about The Thing, because it sounded like the movie she was talking about. John Carpenter's The Thing was a remake, but not many people know that, and then the 2010 remake came out... so I thought she was confused. But she said flat-out, "Nope, I know about that, though."

Am I going crazy? Or is this girl talking out of her nostril?
Old 07-24-2013, 03:21 AM   #1644

Apr 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by joltman View Post
Does anyone know which Blu-rays have the trailer for Evil Dead on it? I hate when they don't include the trailer, that should be such an easy/obvious special feature.
The green band trailer is on The Last Exorcism Part II and The Call. It's probably on a few other recent Sony releases too.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:04 AM   #1645

Dec 2010
AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief3624 View Post
Okay, this is bothering me a lot. I got in a somewhat argument with an employee at Best Buy. She told me this:

"Did you know Evil Dead is actually a remake of a REMAKE? Yeah, nobody knows that. There was a movie in the 50s or something that was Evil Dead, but no one heard about it. Then the one everyone thinks was the original [Sam Raimi's The Evil Dead] was actually the sequel to that.

I was pissed because she seemed to really believe this was true, because her mom told it to her. But I am 100% sure she is wrong! But it pissed me off that she was feeling so high-and-mighty... ugh.

So just in case I'm wrong, though, does anyone know if that is true? I read that Evil Dead II's opening 10 minutes or so are a remake of The Evil Dead because Sam Raimi lost his licensing rights for it, but that's it. The Evil Dead was originally Sam Raimi's creation, right?

I asked her about The Thing, because it sounded like the movie she was talking about. John Carpenter's The Thing was a remake, but not many people know that, and then the 2010 remake came out... so I thought she was confused. But she said flat-out, "Nope, I know about that, though."

There is a short film called Within the Woods (1978), but Sam Raimi reused a lot of the scenes and techniques for The Evil Dead (1981). The story was different though, with a girl being the heroine instead of a guy (btw... Bruce stars in it as the one first possessed, and I believe it was 4 instead of 5 friends). Sam Raimi actually did this little film to finance The Evil Dead. Suffice to say that Within the Woods is very ambiguous as to what it is in the franchise, it is better to just think about it as a sort of "test" or ground used to make The Evil Dead (technically speaking it would have to be a prequel for The Evil Dead since the story is a little different). As for Evil Dead 2 being a remake of Within the Woods, I think it is completely wrong, although there must be some similar scenes anyway, since everything takes place in the same cabin and Ash is still there. And yes, you are correct that the opening of Evil Dead 2 is a sort of remake/recap of The Evil Dead because Raimi did lose his rights to The Evil Dead, so he had to remake the footage to recap the story. And yes, it is Sam Raimi's original creation, after all he made Within the Woods. If you want to watch Within the Woods here is a link. I have heard the original footage was lost, and this is one of the few, if not the only, copy available. It is a bad VHS quality but it is still watchable taking the circumstances into consideration (hopefully it won't be taken down too soon):

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/...l_to_evil.html
-"You have to do everything you can, you have to work your hardest, and if you do, you have a shot at a silver lining."

Last edited by samlop10; 07-24-2013 at 04:20 AM.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:42 AM   #1646

May 2009

Finally received my steelbook from Target, today. Despite how it was packed, it was in perfect condition! No dents, dings, scratches, chips, no nothin! I do recall people mentioning theirs arriving in plastic pouches, but this shipped in what is essentially two sheets of cardboard glued together. I guess that was just sturdy enough to prevent any shipment damage.
Quote:

She's talking out of her nostril. As mentioned, The Evil Dead is SORT OF a remake, but it's really actually based off of an original short film of Raimi's (the post right above this). Honestly, if a film like The Evil Dead released in the 50s, well, it probably wouldn't have actually been released. Not in the states, anyway. Demons, possession, satan and all that good jazz didn't appear in american horror films until the 60s. Over seas? Totally, around the 40s, I believe, but it was incredibly tame stuff by comparison to something like The Exorcist.
HL61A750
HTSS2300
PS3 80GB

Last edited by travis8214; 07-24-2013 at 04:59 AM.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:04 AM   #1647
Special Member

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by samlop10 View Post
There is a short film called Within the Woods (1978), but Sam Raimi reused a lot of the scenes and techniques for The Evil Dead (1981). The story was different though, with a girl being the heroine instead of a guy (btw... Bruce stars in it as the one first possessed, and I believe it was 4 instead of 5 friends). Sam Raimi actually did this little film to finance The Evil Dead. Suffice to say that Within the Woods is very ambiguous as to what it is in the franchise, it is better to just think about it as a sort of "test" or ground used to make The Evil Dead (technically speaking it would have to be a prequel for The Evil Dead since the story is a little different). As for Evil Dead 2 being a remake of Within the Woods, I think it is completely wrong, although there must be some similar scenes anyway, since everything takes place in the same cabin and Ash is still there. And yes, you are correct that the opening of Evil Dead 2 is a sort of remake/recap of The Evil Dead because Raimi did lose his rights to The Evil Dead, so he had to remake the footage to recap the story. And yes, it is Sam Raimi's original creation, after all he made Within the Woods. If you want to watch Within the Woods here is a link. I have heard the original footage was lost, and this is one of the few, if not the only, copy available. It is a bad VHS quality but it is still watchable taking the circumstances into consideration (hopefully it won't be taken down too soon):

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/...l_to_evil.html
Whoa... Well, I'm actually really shocked. She wasn't entirely wrong, then! Very interesting. So was The Evil Dead as low-budget as I heard? Or was I hearing about the short film you're talking about?

That is super interesting, though. Sounds like I need to brush up a little on my film knowledge!

Thanks for the link, too. I should try watching it later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis8214 View Post
She's talking out of her nostril. As mentioned, The Evil Dead is SORT OF a remake, but it's really actually based off of an original short film of Raimi's (the post right above this). Honestly, if a film like The Evil Dead released in the 50s, well, it probably wouldn't have actually been released. Not in the states, anyway. Demons, possession, satan and all that good jazz didn't appear in american horror films until the 60s. Over seas? Totally, around the 40s, I believe, but it was incredibly tame stuff by comparison
Interesting... Very interesting.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:20 AM   #1648

Dec 2010
AZ

Quote:
Whoa... Well, I'm actually really shocked. She wasn't entirely wrong, then! Very interesting. So was The Evil Dead as low-budget as I heard? Or was I hearing about the short film you're talking about?

That is super interesting, though. Sounds like I need to brush up a little on my film knowledge!

Thanks for the link, too. I should try watching it later.

Interesting... Very interesting.
Yes, The Evil Dead did use a small budget, but Within the Woods' was even smaller (around $1600 according to the website ). The Evil Dead used about $370,000 (estimated, according to imdb)
-"You have to do everything you can, you have to work your hardest, and if you do, you have a shot at a silver lining."
Old 07-24-2013, 05:46 AM   #1649
Special Member

Jun 2012
Moreno Valley, CA

Freaking scalpers

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=65120853545
Old 07-24-2013, 05:53 AM   #1650

Sep 2012

She was probably referring to the 1970 film EQUINOX which had several similarities to THE EVIL DEAD including the Book of the Dead, etc. Raimi claims he hadn't seen that film, etc. so technically it's not a remake of it, but there has been lots of speculation and discussion that it was at least a pretty big inspiration for THE EVIL DEAD. I think some ED crewmembers later admitted that they had seen EQUINOX prior, although Raimi denied he ever did. Still, her info is wrong as it wasn't from the 50's and although it has similarities, it's different in other ways so not a direct remake. An inspiration at best. By the way, EQUINOX is out by Criterion (!!!) and features some neat stop-motion monsters and such. I remember watching it many times as a kid on late-night tv in the 70's where it played a lot (so I do question how any rabid monster-horror fan could have missed the film during that decade).

EDIT: Here's a website that compares the two films with pics:
http://thelucidnightmare.blogspot.co...ring-cult.html

Last edited by iamnoone; 07-24-2013 at 06:58 AM. Reason: .
Old 07-24-2013, 12:16 PM   #1651

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by madlost1 View Post
On older titles ok I can see it but now when you have about 5 different official trailers for each movie it's a little bit ridiculous. If they only put one of them on there then people would be complaining that it's not the one they seen.

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk 2
There's plenty of older movies that have multiple trailers, it's not a new thing. I've seen older movies that have over 10 previews, between trailers and TV spots.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:53 PM   #1652

May 2007
Default Evil dead(2013) July 16th

I thought that the movie was good but towards the end there was way too much gore. overall i thought that the movie was good.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:04 PM   #1653
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2011
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredreed View Post
I thought that the movie was good but towards the end there was way too much gore. overall i thought that the movie was good.
I can't get enough of Blood and gore.
Currently: Playing:Wolfenstein The New Order/Tomb Raider The Definitive Edition/Metro Redux/Destiny/The Evil Within
Old 07-24-2013, 01:43 PM   #1654
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2009
Florida Steelbooks:>>>>>> 34 Digibooks: >>>>>> 6

Indeed very goryyyy

Quote:
( The Last Samurai ) There is life in every breath... That is, Bushido
Old 07-24-2013, 03:07 PM   #1655
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2007
Haddonfield, IL

Finally got around to watching my steelbook last night...watched it with my son and daughter. This movie is so awesome and loved it even more the second time. It has to be the goriest film I've ever seen...how the hell did this film secure an R rating?

Did you guys notice that the main girl had some (um, how should I put this) nose carpet going on when she is warning her brother to get them out of the house?
Sh*t Earl...it's Ted Holister.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:41 PM   #1656
Special Member

Jun 2007
Bristol, Tennessee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjgoku90501 View Post
Know how to defeat people like that? Don't buy their product.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:52 PM   #1657
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by leem6453 View Post
Finally got around to watching my steelbook last night...watched it with my son and daughter. This movie is so awesome and loved it even more the second time. It has to be the goriest film I've ever seen...how the hell did this film secure an R rating?

Did you guys notice that the main girl had some (um, how should I put this) nose carpet going on when she is warning her brother to get them out of the house?
Yeah, Jane Levy even points it out in the commentary
Old 07-24-2013, 05:42 PM   #1658
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008

I must be completely desensitized because I honestly don't think this movie is THAT gory. Love the movie, but it's seriously pretty tame in comparison to many other horror films I've seen.

Go watch Inside, Martyrs, or even the new Maniac remake. The violence in those films can be downright disturbing. The violence in Evil Dead is comical, but in a good way.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:52 PM   #1659
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturne View Post
I must be completely desensitized because I honestly don't think this movie is THAT gory. Love the movie, but it's seriously pretty tame in comparison to many other horror films I've seen.

Go watch Inside, Martyrs, or even the new Maniac remake. The violence in those films can be downright disturbing. The violence in Evil Dead is comical, but in a good way.
ED is pretty gory for an R rated movie. Those films that you listed are all unrated in the US, as far as I know. But yeah, even though it's gory, it's not even remotely disturbing or anything. A lot of the violence was directed at deadites, so the gore didn't really do much but amuse.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:56 PM   #1660
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2008
Columbiana, OH
Send a message via MSN to KilloWertz

Quote:
While I can't comment on this movie since I've yet to watch my copy, there was a lot of blood near the end of the original, so it's not a surprise that the end of this is very gory.
Last Watched: The Vampire Diaries: The Complete Fifth Season (Episodes 17 & 18) | Young Frankenstein
Last Bought: The Exorcist | Mr. Peabody & Sherman 3D | Penny Dreadful: The Complete First Season | X-Men: Days of Future Past 3D
PSN ID: KilloWertz
"Chuck me" 9/24/07 - 1/27/12
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America