COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
The Doctor and the Devils (Blu-ray)
$11.98
Sleepy Hollow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Nutty Professor: 50th Anniversary (Blu-ray)
$8.69
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Justice League: War (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Just Go With It (Blu-ray)
$4.99
WWE: The Best of RAW 2010 (Blu-ray)
$11.48
The Blacklist: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$34.99
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Cold in July (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Monsters (Blu-ray)
$6.99
The NeverEnding Story (Blu-ray)
$13.89
Phantom of the Paradise (Blu-ray)
$18.99
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$28.59

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 07-29-2013, 07:48 PM   #16201
Expert Member

Jun 2009
Send a message via ICQ to Harlock415 Send a message via AIM to Harlock415 Send a message via Yahoo to Harlock415

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandlazy View Post
You watched the English Dub I assume? Because the Japanese version has at least one line that's an absolute doozy.
I watched and liked the English dub actually. What was that Japanese line and what episode was it?
Old 07-29-2013, 11:33 PM   #16202
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2010
Washington State

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd213 View Post
Not bad, but it should've been done to look like a Beta tape. Not that I really expect the people designing these things to be all that familiar with the show.
just another chapter in the tragic history of beta.

And speaking of bebop. were already getting November announcements for releases and still no word on a US edition of bebop from anyone. kinda bumming me out.
#100: The Rolling Stones Gimme Shelter: Criterion Collection
#200: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
#300: Trainspotting
#400: Tree of Life
#500: Brazil: Criterion Collection

#600: Eureka Seven: Pt. 1 Limited Edition

Last edited by beatnikslacker; 07-29-2013 at 11:37 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:02 AM   #16203
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
Tallahassee, Fl

I notice that Princess Mononoke is sold by the Disney Movie Club alongside the other Ghibli movies. What exactly is the status of that movie's distribution rights?
Old 07-30-2013, 05:16 AM   #16204
Expert Member

Jul 2012
Midwest, U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd213 View Post
Not bad, but it should've been done to look like a Beta tape.
That's what I was gonna say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatnikslacker View Post
just another chapter in the tragic history of beta.
Maybe they thought most people would be like "what kind of tape is that supposed to be?"
Sony BDP-S580 | Samsung T240HD
Old 07-30-2013, 05:54 AM   #16205

Jul 2009
Perth, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlock415 View Post
I watched and liked the English dub actually. What was that Japanese line and what episode was it?
It's been a while since I watched the series but I think it's episode 9...
[Show spoiler]But during the scene where Saeko is going nuts slaying a bunch of zombies just when she's finished, in the Japanese version Saeko proclaims "I'm Wet!" and the Japanese text for the word 'Wet' flashes across the screen. As weird as it sounds it just suited the scene perfectly. Much better than the rather boring "Yes!" she says in the English version.

That was just one of many things changed in the English dub that made it a bad dub as far as I'm concerned. The performances were fine, but the way the dialog was written in the English version completely changed the attitudes of some characters (ie. shouting out "F'ing A" all the time was just dumb). It's the main reason I now refuse to watch any Sentai Dub directed by Stephen Foster.
Reviewers exist to judge the content, not judge the viewer.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:39 PM   #16206
Expert Member

Jun 2009
Send a message via ICQ to Harlock415 Send a message via AIM to Harlock415 Send a message via Yahoo to Harlock415

Quote:
[Show spoiler]But during the scene where Saeko is going nuts slaying a bunch of zombies just when she's finished, in the Japanese version Saeko proclaims "I'm Wet!" and the Japanese text for the word 'Wet' flashes across the screen. As weird as it sounds it just suited the scene perfectly. Much better than the rather boring "Yes!" she says in the English version.

That was just one of many things changed in the English dub that made it a bad dub as far as I'm concerned. The performances were fine, but the way the dialog was written in the English version completely changed the attitudes of some characters (ie. shouting out "F'ing A" all the time was just dumb). It's the main reason I now refuse to watch any Sentai Dub directed by Stephen Foster.
Guess it's time to rewatch it in Japanese.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:52 PM   #16207
Contributor

Jun 2007
California

Quote:

Most if not all Steven Foster dubs don't do the whole F Bombs. But somehow probably thought that it suited the Highschool of the Dead series maybe because it's a zombie series.
IGN and RPGamer- Ar tonelico II Best PS2 Game Award for 2009
Ar tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel out now

Old 07-30-2013, 03:57 PM   #16208
Expert Member

Jun 2009

Funny thing about F-bombs is that I noticed them more in the Black Lagoon English dub than in the Japanese subtitled version. It felt more natural for it in the dub.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:29 PM   #16209

Jul 2011
Chicago, IL

Quote:
You watched the English Dub I assume? Because the Japanese version has at least one line that's an absolute doozy.
I always watch all my anime in Japanese with English sub-titles That cowboy bebop packaging looks fantastic!
Projector: Epson 5030UB
Screen: 92" Carada Criterion Series Brilliant White (1.4 Gain)
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR809
Blu-Ray Player: Panasonic BDT-210
HD-DVD Player: Toshiba A2
Speakers: Cerwin Vega V Series: V-5C, V-12F, V-6F, V-5M. Dual Klipsch RW-12d Subwoofers
Gaming Systems: Xbox 360, PS3, Dreamcast (Limited Edition Black), Gamecube
HTPC: i7-860, GeForce GTX 760, 8GB RAM, Region Free Blu-Ray
Old 07-30-2013, 07:31 PM   #16210

Jul 2011
Chicago, IL
Arrow

Quick question on Netflix Anime Streams: The subtitles they use, are they the original sub-titles taken from the blu-ray/DVD releases? Or are these different?

I am planning on cutting down on anime blu-ray releases now that Netflix has so many and I can save a few hundred dollars... thanks!
Projector: Epson 5030UB
Screen: 92" Carada Criterion Series Brilliant White (1.4 Gain)
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR809
Blu-Ray Player: Panasonic BDT-210
HD-DVD Player: Toshiba A2
Speakers: Cerwin Vega V Series: V-5C, V-12F, V-6F, V-5M. Dual Klipsch RW-12d Subwoofers
Gaming Systems: Xbox 360, PS3, Dreamcast (Limited Edition Black), Gamecube
HTPC: i7-860, GeForce GTX 760, 8GB RAM, Region Free Blu-Ray
Old 07-30-2013, 07:45 PM   #16211
Banned

Aug 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberAthlete View Post
I always watch all my anime in Japanese with English sub-titles That cowboy bebop packaging looks fantastic!
Lol, I don't know about anyone else, but I've found that all the anime chicks just sound sexier in their Japanese voices than in English, so that's why I prefer subs the best...
Old 07-30-2013, 10:40 PM   #16212
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2012
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREYMAX 3D View Post
Lol, I don't know about anyone else, but I've found that all the anime chicks just sound sexier in their Japanese voices than in English, so that's why I prefer subs the best...
That's because they're better actors, since voice acting in Japan is a major industry and not some second-rate barnstorming operation by the distributors like over here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberAthlete View Post
Quick question on Netflix Anime Streams: The subtitles they use, are they the original sub-titles taken from the blu-ray/DVD releases? Or are these different?

I am planning on cutting down on anime blu-ray releases now that Netflix has so many and I can save a few hundred dollars... thanks!
Most anime on Netflix (virtually all of it, I believe) is dub-only, unfortunately.
"We got this, man! We got this by the ass!"
Old 07-30-2013, 10:43 PM   #16213
Expert Member

Jul 2010
San Francisco CA

Crispin Freeman, Steve Blum, And Mark Hamil just died a little by that rediculous statement.

T
TV: Samsung UN55D8000
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR5008
Speakers: Front:Polk RTI A7 / Center: Polk CSI A6 / Surround: Polk FXi A6 (X4)
SUB: SVS PB12-NSD
Blu-ray Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT350
Game System: PS/3, XBox 360, Wii, PS/2
Remote: Harmony One with PS/3 Adapter What Else does one need :) (I know how about the Harmony 900) oh yeah
Old 07-30-2013, 10:48 PM   #16214
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2012
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbydrugar View Post
Crispin Freeman, Steve Blum, And Mark Hamil just died a little by that rediculous statement.

T
Mark Hamil isn't employed by anime distributors to do in-house ADR work. He's a voice actor for original productions. Steve Blum also does original work in addition to dubs.

And yes, there are examples of good dubs here and there, but they are few and far between in my opinion.

Last edited by Thomas Guycott; 07-30-2013 at 10:51 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:53 PM   #16215
Banned

Aug 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Guycott View Post
That's because they're better actors, since voice acting in Japan is a major industry and not some second-rate barnstorming operation by the distributors like over here.
Lol, no, nothing that serious - I just meant I like the sound of their voices better, turns me on... heheh, heheh...

Quote:
Most anime on Netflix (virtually all of it, I believe) is dub-only, unfortunately.
I'm a little over halfway through KenIchi: The Mightiest Disciple on Netflix streaming, and that one is actually sub-only... but that is a rare exception on Netflix, you are mostly correct... It's actually been a pretty interesting and fun show so far, for being just a TV-14 series...
Old 07-30-2013, 11:13 PM   #16216
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2012
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREYMAX 3D View Post
I'm a little over halfway through KenIchi: The Mightiest Disciple on Netflix streaming, and that one is actually sub-only... but that is a rare exception on Netflix, you are mostly correct... It's actually been a pretty interesting and fun show so far, for being just a TV-14 series...
Hey now, there's plenty of "kids stuff" out there which are outstanding shows. Ya don't need blood, guts and skin to have a good time.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:14 PM   #16217
Expert Member

Jul 2010
San Francisco CA

Sadly I honestly would not know good japanese voice acting from bad since I don't speak the language and have no ear for the intonations and pronuciations. For All I know they all have a rediculous southern drawl while portraing Jersey folks.

As to production houses I think you are not giving many of these Actors the credit they are due.

But when it comes to Accuracy then yes I agree I do often watch my anime in both Sub and Dub. I watch the Sub for any references that were maybe not translated correctly to the Dub but I mostly prefer the Dub so I can actually enjoy the Animation Without having to focus on the Text.

In fact though I don't have a problem with either but just couldn't let the quip to some actually fine VA's go unchallenged.

Thanks,
T
TV: Samsung UN55D8000
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR5008
Speakers: Front:Polk RTI A7 / Center: Polk CSI A6 / Surround: Polk FXi A6 (X4)
SUB: SVS PB12-NSD
Blu-ray Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT350
Game System: PS/3, XBox 360, Wii, PS/2
Remote: Harmony One with PS/3 Adapter What Else does one need :) (I know how about the Harmony 900) oh yeah
Old 07-30-2013, 11:56 PM   #16218
Banned

Aug 2010

Quote:
Hey now, there's plenty of "kids stuff" out there which are outstanding shows. Ya don't need blood, guts and skin to have a good time.
Says who??! I'm just a dirty old man, so I enjoy my blood, guts, and High School DxD. And not necessarily in that order, lol.

j/k!

Last edited by FREYMAX 3D; 07-31-2013 at 12:00 AM.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:19 AM   #16219

Jul 2009
Perth, Australia

Quote:
Funny thing about F-bombs is that I noticed them more in the Black Lagoon English dub than in the Japanese subtitled version. It felt more natural for it in the dub.
I don't have an issue with F Bombs if used in a way that works. In Black Lagoon it helps reinforce how insane and volatile Revy can be so it works brilliantly. Hell, in the English version Revy shrows in a C Bomb or two and I thought it was hilarious. In HSOTD the added swearing and topical humour just made the guys sound all 'dudebro' which is definitely not the way they're portayed in the Japanese version.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:27 AM   #16220

Jul 2009
Perth, Australia

Quote:
I don't have an issue with F Bombs if used in a way that works. In Black Lagoon it helps reinforce how insane and volatile Revy can be so it works brilliantly. Hell, in the English version Revy shrows in a C Bomb or two and I thought it was hilarious. In HSOTD the added swearing and topical humour just made the guys sound all 'dudebro' which is definitely not the way they're portayed in the Japanese version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOONPHASE View Post
Most if not all Steven Foster dubs don't do the whole F Bombs. But somehow probably thought that it suited the Highschool of the Dead series maybe because it's a zombie series.
F Bombs in HSOTD aren't the only thing that bothers me. Throwing in stupid stuff like 'Panties for the Win!' in PenguinDrum just makes me not bother with the English in Fosterised material.

Also, I didn't mean to turn this into a Sub vs Dub debate. Depending on the show I'll watch the English dub version, but I do mostly watch in Japanese these days.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime