Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Ender's Game (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Gremlins (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Gravity (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Reality Bites (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Ripper Street: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Ocean Giants (Blu-ray)
$11.99
Diary of a Wimpy Kid Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$16.98
Weird Science (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Pacific Rim 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Planet Earth | Life (Blu-ray)
$54.99
The Goonies (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Despicable Me 2 (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Beetlejuice (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Great Rift (Blu-ray)
$11.99
Old 08-16-2013, 05:54 PM   #14781
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2012
Columbus, Ohio

I'm probably the only one who likes it.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:54 PM   #14782
Special Member

Dec 2009
Pacific NW

They are all starting to look the same. Not saying its bad work, just looking very similar to the others.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:58 PM   #14783
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_Swords View Post
They are all starting to look the same. Not saying its bad work, just looking very similar to the others.
Yeah. It seems like the artist crossed the Lifeforce art with the Prison art, then threw in a dash of They Live art.

Not all look the same. The John Carpenter ones all stand out, as do the box sets.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:58 PM   #14784
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2009
Florida Steelbooks:>>>>>> 33 Digibooks: >>>>>> 6

Thats artwork reminds me of the watchmen lol
Old 08-16-2013, 06:00 PM   #14785
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rz_Samurai View Post
Thats artwork reminds me of the watchmen lol
That might have been the point.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:02 PM   #14786
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009

Quote:
Yup, before this cover was revealed, I had an image in my head of what it would look like, and it was pretty similar to this. With Criterion (and, though to a lesser degree lately, MoC) you really never knew and were constantly being surprised and/or impressed by their art choices. Scream covers are generally pretty predictable. Again, they obviously have a particular style and uniformity that is working for them, but there isn't much creativity or innovation in it. Ultimately, the inclusion of original art renders any issues I have over their covers moot, but I've started to be more selective with which posters I pay for. I wish they'd branch out and utilize a few more artists at least - there's a million out there!

Last edited by NoirFan; 08-16-2013 at 06:04 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:11 PM   #14787

Jul 2013

I found a copy of Phantasm 2 w/ slipcover surprisingly at the used movie store near my house for 7.99$, should of bought but decided to pass because Im only really familiar with the first one (love the atmosphere and music the rest is meh to me). Ive seen small parts of the sequels on cable throughout the years but don't remember much, does part follow the story of the first or is it a completely different story? Should of just bought it since its so cheap but Ive been trying to cut down on blind buys.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:12 PM   #14788
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoirFan View Post
I wish they'd branch out and utilize a few more artists at least - there's a million out there!
Wasn't Darkman done by a new artist?
Old 08-16-2013, 06:12 PM   #14789

Mar 2013
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The Darkman cover isn't horrible, but it's not great either. It just doesn't 'pop' enough; it's rather bland, if you asked me.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:13 PM   #14790
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonknight View Post
Wasn't Darkman done by a new artist?
I honestly don't know, I had just assumed it was one of the two or three guys they usually use. It certainly didn't look unique enough to make me think it wasn't one of them.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:14 PM   #14791
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by noddinoff View Post
I found a copy of Phantasm 2 w/ slipcover surprisingly at the used movie store near my house for 7.99$, should of bought but decided to pass because Im only really familiar with the first one (love the atmosphere and music the rest is meh to me). Ive seen small parts of the sequels on cable throughout the years but don't remember much, does part follow the story of the first or is it a completely different story? Should of just bought it since its so cheap but Ive been trying to cut down on blind buys.
As I have said before, the Phantasm movies are a continuous story that begins in the first, and ends in the fourth, using clips from the first. All four have Mike and Reggie, along with the Tall Man, and all except for the second have Jody.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:15 PM   #14792

Oct 2012
Maryland

I'm not a fan of the Darkman art. Although, I'm not a HUGE fan of most of the new art. I think some is good but I prefer the original poster art.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:16 PM   #14793
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2013

Quote:
I honestly don't know, I had just assumed it was one of the two or three guys they usually use. It certainly didn't look unique enough to make me think it wasn't one of them.
Ghoulish Gary Pullin did it, instead of Nathan, Captain Controversy, the Prison/From Beyond guy, or TheDudeDesigns. Come to think of it, who did Phantasm 2?
Old 08-16-2013, 06:20 PM   #14794
Special Member

Dec 2009
Pacific NW

I like Arrow's artwork compared to Scream Factory, but that's me
Old 08-16-2013, 06:27 PM   #14795
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009

Quote:
I like Arrow's artwork compared to Scream Factory, but that's me
I like Arrow's artwork now, but always go with original art with their releases as well. As an added bonus, the reverse covers don't have those insane ratings logs.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:29 PM   #14796
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011

I honestly think the new artwork they come up with is a waste of money. Just put the original theatrical poster on the cover and be done with it. Then, they could put that money they've saved towards making sure that all of their BDs include ENG subtitles.

I highly doubt the new art has increased sales, whatsoever. But including ENG subs with all of their releases would, I think.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:32 PM   #14797
Expert Member

Aug 2012
Lincoln, NE

While I'm not much of a fan of the Darkman art (or the movie for that matter) I will say that I actually do like that these releases all look similar. If there's one thing I enjoy it's similarity between like products, and while these certainly all have very different covers, there is enough going on in them to immediately recognize them as Scream Titles. I enjoy the basic Criterion set up (The numbered spines, White C, etc) but often find their covers very much lacking.. but again, I enjoy the similarities and they far outweigh the problems I may have with individual cover art.

If this is going to be the ongoing theme for Scream Factory titles I'm all for it. Strange/new yet familiar Slip cover art, with classic poster art on the flip side. It allows each movie to be it's own entity and yet it also allows them all to feel a part of a series. It's the best of both world's really... Like putting your scream titles all together? then the art work will blend nicely. Like your titles alphabetically? Then the individual art works just as well.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:33 PM   #14798
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
I highly doubt the new art has increased sales, whatsoever.
You don't think the gory, bold, cartoonish covers emphasizing the actors/characters/monsters appeal to teenagers and early 20-somethings who may otherwise be unfamiliar with the movies? I have no empirical data to back that up, of course, but it makes sense to me.

Edit: Of course, with Best Buy not carrying most (all?) of these, chain stores a thing of the past and most people making their purchases online, a colorful cover designed to attract the casual browser in a store may in fact no longer be necessary.

Last edited by NoirFan; 08-16-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:35 PM   #14799
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2011
Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonknight View Post
Come to think of it, who did Phantasm 2?
James Rheem Davis

Last edited by zbinks; 08-16-2013 at 06:42 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:40 PM   #14800
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011

Quote:
You don't think the gory, colorful, cartoonish covers emphasizing the actors/characters appeal to teenagers and early 20-somethings who may otherwise be unfamiliar with the movies? I have no empirical data to back that up, of course, but it makes sense to me.
I suppose if they're simpleminded and/or slightly retarded. But aren't these teenagers/young people just as likely to download it (legally or not) if they're not familiar with it? It's not like SF BDs are available eveywhere, where folks are likely to stumble upon them accidentally. Consumers have to search them out, and they probably have some idea of what they're getting themselves into.

So to answer your question: No, I don't think the artwork has any effect on sales.

Edit: I just noticed that you amended your original post.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios

Tags
horror, scream factory, shout factory