COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$109.99
The Doctor and the Devils (Blu-ray)
$8.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Defiance: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$37.99
Spartacus: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$80.76
Titanic 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.98
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Megamind 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.70
Dukas: Ariane et Barbe-Bleue | Liceu (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Fargo: Season One (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Zodiac (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Legend of Korra - Book One: Air (Blu-ray)
$14.22
The Ring (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Captain America: The First Avenger (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Rio 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Congo (Blu-ray)
$10.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$44.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies > UltraViolet

Old 07-03-2013, 07:14 PM   #1

Jul 2013
Question converting iTunes, Blu, WMA, etc. to UV

So, I have a bunch of old digitals that I never used, because I hated being put to one format (rightly or wrongly as that assumption might have been).

Is there anyway to convert these to get them to UV versions? I have been reading the forum and searching the net, and can't find any info.

This may be because it is impossible, but I thought I would reach out and ask

Thanks!
Old 07-03-2013, 09:12 PM   #2

Sep 2009
Oklahoma

UV isn't really a format but, a locker system in the cloud so you can watch any movies in your UV locker at any site the supports UV.

Some of the Universal codes that worked for WMV or iTunes can be redeemed for the UV version. You just have to try the code and see if it will work.

http://www.vudu.com/ecopy.html

The only other thing you can do is disk to digital however their a fees for converting your disks to UV.

http://www.vudu.com/in_home_disc_to_digital.html
Old 07-04-2013, 12:13 AM   #3

Jan 2012
cali

I think the OP is asking if it is possible to convert a file format like MP4, M4V (used by ITunes) can be converted to another format like WMV, AVI, etc. There are programs that exist to do this for non DMR encoded files - the ones you get from file sharing services, etc. The ones redeemed from your Digital Copy discs are encoded so that you can't do this easily. I'm not sure if you want to do it this way - the quality would be horrendous. There are other programs like DVDFab that allows conversion from a source like your BluRay Disc to any format and quality (size) of your choosing. I do this for titles that don't offer Digital Copies at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungling View Post
So, I have a bunch of old digitals that I never used, because I hated being put to one format (rightly or wrongly as that assumption might have been).

Is there anyway to convert these to get them to UV versions? I have been reading the forum and searching the net, and can't find any info.

This may be because it is impossible, but I thought I would reach out and ask

Thanks!
"By Grabthar's hammer Oh what a savings..."

My DC/UV/Movie MoneyTrade Thread
Old 07-04-2013, 12:42 AM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by menace519 View Post
I think the OP is asking if it is possible to convert a file format like MP4, M4V (used by ITunes) can be converted to another format like WMV, AVI, etc. There are programs that exist to do this for non DMR encoded files - the ones you get from file sharing services, etc. The ones redeemed from your Digital Copy discs are encoded so that you can't do this easily. I'm not sure if you want to do it this way - the quality would be horrendous. There are other programs like DVDFab that allows conversion from a source like your BluRay Disc to any format and quality (size) of your choosing. I do this for titles that don't offer Digital Copies at the moment.
Not quite.

The OP is asking if iTunes/Windows Media digital copies can be "converted" into UltraViolet digital copies (which are stored in the cloud). No conversion software can put those digital copies into your UV locker.

BluTracer hit it dead on. The short answer to the question is no, it can't be done. But there are some older digital copies from Universal that will redeem for a UV version. It's hit or miss with those. Beyond that, using a disc-to-digital program for a small fee (Vudu, CinemaNow, and Flixster all have them) is the only way to go about getting a UV copy of films you already own (and not all titles are eligible).
Old 07-04-2013, 01:00 AM   #5
Blu-ray Count

Mar 2012
New York City

Yeah, my Universal DC worked to redeem Scarface on UV. I wish more switched who switched over to UV allowed the same substitution.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:45 AM   #6

Dec 2009

Dang, I have a ton of DC that won't convert to UV.
My collection click HT Gallery to view them.
My WTB's HERE
Served in the Military and like blu's come talk about it HERE

*Alert!!!* Best Buy Will Be Changing And Shrinking Their Media Section Soon!!!

Click HERE for more details.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:02 AM   #7

Oct 2008
Neverland

I've wondered the same thing as TC. I have a lot of "Digital Copy" codes for all the Blurays I've bought over the years, and I wanted to see if any of those codes would be valid for UV redemption.

I went through trial and error; took all the Digital Copy codes for all the films I have and ran them through Vudu. I'd say probably about 4% of the films I own work.

Paul, Fast Five, Harry Potter 7, Super 8, State of Play, Bridesmaids, and Oz the Great and Powerful, were the only ones that worked.

So, bottom line, test your luck. You're bound to find one or two that will be compatible with UV even though not expressly stated on the packaging.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:19 PM   #8

Apr 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneJD View Post
I've wondered the same thing as TC. I have a lot of "Digital Copy" codes for all the Blurays I've bought over the years, and I wanted to see if any of those codes would be valid for UV redemption.

I went through trial and error; took all the Digital Copy codes for all the films I have and ran them through Vudu. I'd say probably about 4% of the films I own work.

Paul, Fast Five, Harry Potter 7, Super 8, State of Play, Bridesmaids, and Oz the Great and Powerful, were the only ones that worked.

So, bottom line, test your luck. You're bound to find one or two that will be compatible with UV even though not expressly stated on the packaging.
You will have better luck testing them on flixster than vudu. Because some WB codes will work. And they wont work on vudu.
Looking for Disney Movies HD

Have: Thor 2 HD
Old 09-23-2013, 07:04 AM   #9

Mar 2009

I tried using some of my old codes on Flixster. The ones that did work, it kept giving me a error message on the final step that the codes were not applicable in my country. I emailed them and they added the movies with no problem.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:45 AM   #10
Special Member

May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraViolet PR View Post
You can get many older movies to join your collection in the cloud; your best bet is to use the disc-to-digital program from the digital player of your choice. They can help you carry over your movie collection into your UltraViolet account. You can read more here:

http://flixster.desk.com/customer/po...sc-to-digital-
http://www.vudu.com/in_home_disc_to_digital.html
Right now, VUDU is the superior D2D program, they support blu-rays and have half-price conversion if you do more than 10 titles. Some day I will need to research if Flixster or CinemaNow D2D have any advantages as well, I haven't found any yet.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:04 AM   #11

Aug 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey Blu View Post
I tried using some of my old codes on Flixster. The ones that did work, it kept giving me a error message on the final step that the codes were not applicable in my country. I emailed them and they added the movies with no problem.
I had a similar problem with Lockout. I got the error - not valid in your country, although it was purchased in US. I wonder if the code was out of date. I've been going back and forth with Sony customer service with them telling me the movie is in my account and me not able to see Lockout in my digital locker. I'm going to call customer service tomorrow.
Vudu rocks...
Old 11-23-2013, 04:19 PM   #12

Apr 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmutt View Post
Right now, VUDU is the superior D2D program, they support blu-rays and have half-price conversion if you do more than 10 titles. Some day I will need to research if Flixster or CinemaNow D2D have any advantages as well, I haven't found any yet.
How does VUDU support bluray?

I have a MacBook and it doesn't read blu disks, only DVD, so how would i be able to add my blu disk to digital from home?
Old 11-23-2013, 04:24 PM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by manutd123 View Post
How does VUDU support bluray?
The same way it supports DVDs - the software reads the disc when the disc is in a drive that's connected to the computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manutd123 View Post
I have a MacBook and it doesn't read blu disks, only DVD, so how would i be able to add my blu disk to digital from home?
You'll need an external Blu-ray drive that's Mac compatible.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:33 PM   #14

Aug 2013

Or you can brave taking the Blu-ray to Walmart for disk to digital. The experience, however, depends on how well the clerk you get knows the system. My experience tells me the chances of a good clerk are 50-50. Much better to do disk to digital from home.
Vudu rocks...
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies > UltraViolet