Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$99.99
4 hrs ago
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey (Blu-ray)
$19.99
20 hrs ago
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.96
10 hrs ago
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99

The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.99

Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$18.99

Time Bandits (Blu-ray)
$21.99

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

True Detective (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$149.99

Sleepy Hollow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 05-19-2013, 09:03 AM   #1
Power Member

Apr 2011
Default GKIDS/New Video Group (Cinedigm) - Animated Films on Blu-ray Thread

The Secret of Kells (Brendan et le secret de Kells)
Release date: Oct 5, 2010

The Secret of Kells Blu-ray

Thread: The Secret of Kells

----------------------------------------

Chico & Rita
Release date: Sep 18, 2012

Chico & Rita Blu-ray

Thread: Chico & Rita (2010) - 09/18/2012 blu ray

A Cat in Paris (Une vie de chat)
Release date: Oct 9, 2012

A Cat in Paris Blu-ray

Tales of the Night (Les Contes de la nuit)
Release date: Jan 29, 2013

Tales of the Night Blu-ray

Thread: Tales of the Night (2011) - Jan 29, 2013

The Rabbi's Cat (Chat du rabbin)
Release date: May 7, 2013

The Rabbi's Cat Blu-ray

The Painting (Le Tableau)
Release date: Aug 27, 2013

The Painting Blu-ray

From up on Poppy Hill (Kokuriko Zaka Kara)
Release date: Sep 3, 2013

From up on Poppy Hill Blu-ray
Thread: From Up on Poppy Hill - September 3, 2013 Pre-order

Approved for Adoption (Couleur de peau: Miel)
Release date: April 29, 2014

Approved for Adoption Blu-ray

Ernest & Celestine (Ernest et CÚlestine)
Release date: June 17, 2014

Ernest & Celestine Blu-ray

Last edited by celticmoon; 06-21-2014 at 08:10 AM.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:12 AM   #2
Power Member

Apr 2011

I know a lot of these films have their own thread, but some of them don't, so I thought it'd be nice to have a thread devoted to the animated films distributed by GKIDS, most of which have been getting home video releases recently through New Video Group/Cinedigm.

Considering the recent pace at which they are releasing many of these wonderful foreign animated films on BD, I think we can look forward to many more in the future. GKIDS are distributing films such as The Painting, A Letter to Momo, and Ernest and Celestine, and I think we can probably look forward to home video releases for these in a fashion similar to the above listed films.

On another note, I finally got to watch my copy of A Cat in Paris. This was a short, but quite charming film. Loved the art style and general design of the film--the whimsical illustrative nature very much reminded me of a children's picture book (which I love, as I collect children's picture books). The story was nothing spectacular, but it had an extremely good balance of dark, comical, and whimsical. I couldn't help but be charmed, even with the all-too-easy epilogue at the end. Also, the soundtrack was great.

As for the BD itself, very beautiful to look at, though the extras are very sparse.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:02 PM   #3
Blu-ray Archduke

May 2010
Columbia, MD

Good thread idea! I definitely preorder From Up On Poppy Hill, and would be curious if GKIDS is going to obtain more Ghibli titles.
Also nicely done OP! Very near and organized.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:11 PM   #4
Power Member

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickah88 View Post
Good thread idea! I definitely preorder From Up On Poppy Hill, and would be curious if GKIDS is going to obtain more Ghibli titles.
Also nicely done OP! Very near and organized.
Doesn't Disney have the home video rights to all of the rest (besides Grave of the Fireflies), including some of the ones that they might (or probably) won't be releasing?

It would be nice if someone else could acquire the rights to the films like Only Yesterday... And a GKIDS/New Video Group release would be perfect.

On a non-Ghibli-related note, I really hope they release Azur and Asmar on BD.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:18 PM   #5
Blu-ray Archduke

May 2010
Columbia, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticmoon View Post
Doesn't Disney have the home video rights to all of the rest (besides Grave of the Fireflies), including some of the ones that they might (or probably) won't be releasing?

It would be nice if someone else could acquire the rights to the films like Only Yesterday... And a GKIDS/New Video Group release would be perfect.

On a non-Ghibli-related note, I really hope they release Azur and Asmar on BD.
I'm not really sure. I just got into Ghibli releases last year, and was instantly hooked! Disney sure does a really nice job with the Ghibli line. If GKIDS/New Video Group does have access to more titles, I hope they do just as good a job as Disney.
Looking forward to hearing the specs of Poppy Hill when the reviews start popping up.(see what I did there )
Old 06-10-2013, 07:48 AM   #6
Power Member

Apr 2011

French film, The Painting (Le Tableau) coming to BD in August!
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=11344

The Painting (Le Tableau)
Release date: Aug 27, 2013

The Painting Blu-ray
Old 08-28-2013, 07:21 PM   #7
Power Member

Apr 2011

These have been up and already mentioned in other threads, but:

The Painting Blu-ray Review

From Up On Poppy Hill Blu-ray Review
Old 08-28-2013, 07:25 PM   #8
Blu-ray Duke

Mar 2012
New York City

The Painting looks really cool. I'm really liking Cinedigm' animated library, they all seem to be solid titles so far.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:44 PM   #9
Expert Member

Jan 2013

I own The Secret of Kells on DVD.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:53 PM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2010
USA

I have The Secret of Kells on Blu-ray, which looks great, and pre-ordered From Up on Poppy Hill a few months ago. I borrowed the A Cat in Paris Blu-ray from my library and that was also a great film with beautiful picture quality. I am looking forward to their release of A Letter to Momo, and even though I've never seen the film, I'll probably pre-order when it becomes available.

Quote:
It would be nice if someone else could acquire the rights to the films like Only Yesterday... And a GKIDS/New Video Group release would be perfect
I agree, I wish Disney, if they still own them, would pass the rights to the films they have done nothing with (Only Yesterday and Ocean Waves) to another studio so that we could finally see these films released on home video in North America.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:55 PM   #11
Power Member

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MifuneFan View Post
The Painting looks really cool. I'm really liking Cinedigm' animated library, they all seem to be solid titles so far.
Besides animated films from Japan, foreign animated film BD releases seem very few and far between. I'm glad GKIDS and Cinedigm have been very active in bringing these diverse films to BD within the past year, and hope to see more in the future (which we surely will).

It'd be nice if they could go back and pick up older films as well. For example, Michel Ocelot's other features still don't have BD releases in the US and I'm starting to lose hope.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:43 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2011
UK

Surprised more people aren't talking about this range of animated films. What they have out already are some of the finest you can find outside of Ghibli (not including Poppy Hill) & Disney.

Kells is astonishingly made and stunning in HD. Chico & Rita is mature and exotic, well worth your time.

When A Letter to Momo and Ernest & Celestine come out, this will be at the top for me.

E&C is an absolutely beautiful story about a bear and mouse striking up an unexpected and forbidden friendship. It's extremely heartwarming stuff. Fantastic French film.

My Studio Ghibli Collection

Panasonic 50" ST60 3D Plasma TV
White Playstation 3 Super Slim Japan
Old 09-04-2013, 11:55 AM   #13

Aug 2010

I would love to import some of their animated films, but unfortunately I can't find any info regarding the region locking on these discs. I even wrote to cinedigm a few weeks ago, but have never received an answer from them.

Can someone with access to these discs (especially A Cat in Paris, Tales of the Night and The Painting) check if they are region free? Thank you, your help is really appreciated!
Old 09-04-2013, 05:38 PM   #14
Power Member

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinthetic View Post
Surprised more people aren't talking about this range of animated films. What they have out already are some of the finest you can find outside of Ghibli (not including Poppy Hill) & Disney.

Kells is astonishingly made and stunning in HD. Chico & Rita is mature and exotic, well worth your time.

When A Letter to Momo and Ernest & Celestine come out, this will be at the top for me.

E&C is an absolutely beautiful story about a bear and mouse striking up an unexpected and forbidden friendship. It's extremely heartwarming stuff. Fantastic French film.
I totally agree. Only Kells and Poppy Hill have gotten a decent amount of talk in these forums. I'm not one of those people who discredit the big budget CGI films from the major American studios, as I do love a lot of them and think that a lot of them are so much more creative and clever than a lot of people give them credit for. But I also think people need to know how much of a range of styles and subjects animated films can cover, and GKIDS/Cinedigm provide the perfect entry level options.

I'd really like to see Ernest & Celestine. I figured it would be getting a decently sized theatrical run in the US, but I haven't seen anything about that yet. I'm guessing it will get its qualifying run for the Oscars if it hasn't already, and then get an expanded release if it gets nominated for Best Animated Feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scamander View Post
I would love to import some of their animated films, but unfortunately I can't find any info regarding the region locking on these discs. I even wrote to cinedigm a few weeks ago, but have never received an answer from them.

Can someone with access to these discs (especially A Cat in Paris, Tales of the Night and The Painting) check if they are region free? Thank you, your help is really appreciated!
Is there a way to tell besides sticking them in players from the various regions?
Old 09-04-2013, 09:02 PM   #15

Aug 2010

Quote:
Is there a way to tell besides sticking them in players from the various regions?
If you have a BD Rom drive as well as the software AnyDVD HD, you can check the region codes of the discs. While not 100% safe, it would be already a help though, if you would check the region information that is printed on the back covers and the discs themselves. If it says ABC it is (supposed to be) region free, while a single "A" means it's not working on European and Asian Blu-ray players. Sometimes the information isn't correct, but it's better than nothing. Thank you

Last edited by scamander; 09-04-2013 at 09:04 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:48 AM   #16
Power Member

Apr 2011

Quote:
If you have a BD Rom drive as well as the software AnyDVD HD, you can check the region codes of the discs. While not 100% safe, it would be already a help though, if you would check the region information that is printed on the back covers and the discs themselves. If it says ABC it is (supposed to be) region free, while a single "A" means it's not working on European and Asian Blu-ray players. Sometimes the information isn't correct, but it's better than nothing. Thank you
I checked a couple of them, and there is no region information printed on the back cover or on the discs themselves. I don't have a BD-ROM drive, so unfortunately I can't help you with that.

According to the database on this site, however, Secret of Kells is listed as "region free," and A Cat in Paris is listed as "A, B (C untested)." The rest are listed as "A (B, C untested)."

If you look at some of the other Cinedigm releases in the database, some of those are also listed as either "region free" or "A, B (C untested)." While most are untested in regions B and C, none of them are listed as locked to region A. So I think there's a good chance that all of their BDs are region free.

I think it might be worth shooting them another email though to be sure.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:53 AM   #17
Expert Member

Feb 2013
New Jersey

Just watched "From Up on Poppy Hill", and it was great. I'm really happy with GKIDS release of the film, and I'll be looking into their previous releases. I've seen "The Secret of Kells" in the past and thought it was fine, so maybe I should start with that one.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:34 AM   #18

Apr 2011

Quote:
Me too. I remember sending a mail to Cinedigm regarding the region locking on "From Up on Poppy Hill" and "The Painting" too, but never heard from them either

Quote:
I checked a couple of them, and there is no region information printed on the back cover or on the discs themselves. I don't have a BD-ROM drive, so unfortunately I can't help you with that.

If you look at some of the other Cinedigm releases in the database, some of those are also listed as either "region free" or "A, B (C untested)." While most are untested in regions B and C, none of them are listed as locked to region A. So I think there's a good chance that all of their BDs are region free.
True. Based on the same information, I was also under the impression that they don't region lock their discs. Also their FAQ page says that their DVDs are region free (no mention of Blu-rays though). However, "From Up on Poppy Hill" region coding info added by a user here almost confirms it to be region locked

I hope someone would confirm, please?
Old 09-22-2013, 07:21 AM   #19
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2011
5593 ft above sea level

Just tested A Cat in Paris - it's region free.
Like every broken wave on the shore
This is as far as I could reach

deltasun's sell/trade thread; For Sale: Captain Phillips (slip, BD/DVD), The Muppets (Wocka x 2) -- $13 ea; The Collection, The Iceman -- $10 ea.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:19 PM   #20

Jun 2009
Malta, Europe

If somebody can check the GKids Blu-ray releases of The Rabbi's Cat, The Painting and Tales of the Night to see if they are region free, I would really appreciate. Like Scamander, I live in Europe and it seems that the Region B releases of those movies do not have English subtitles.

Thankfully, The Secret of Kells and Chico and Rita were released in the UK, so I got those.

Thanks!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America