Best Blu-ray Deals

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Guardians of the Galaxy 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Deadwood: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$58.99
Entourage: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$96.99
Treme: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$64.99
Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$89.99
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Rise of the Guardians 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Big Hero 6 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Maze Runner (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3D (Blu-ray)
$69.99
Fairy Tail: Part 13 (Blu-ray)
$31.69
Dragon Ball Z: Season 8 (Blu-ray)
$25.89
Dragon Ball Z: Season 6 (Blu-ray)
$17.99
White Christmas (Blu-ray)
$14.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 10-03-2013, 09:44 PM   #5421
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
lets just say that there's a lot of us who would stop paying for media if it ever goes to digital downloads only. no value in them. no resale, no being able to touch your media... knowing it's YOURS and will be yours even when companies lose licenses etc.
You buy it,download it to your Sony 4K Media Player (2 Tb with provision for external drives) It's yours. You have an urge to touch, fingerprints on the Media Player should take care of it.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:45 PM   #5422
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by raygendreau View Post
You buy it,download it to your Sony 4K Media Player (2 Tb with provision for external drives) It's yours. You have an urge to touch, fingerprints on the Media Player should take care of it.
don't trust non physical things + hard drives are MUCH MUCH more unstable than optical media is right now. wouldn't expect it to last more than 5 years
Old 10-03-2013, 09:49 PM   #5423
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
don't trust non physical things + hard drives are MUCH MUCH more unstable than optical media is right now. wouldn't expect it to last more than 5 years
So, back it up to an external drive.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:50 PM   #5424
Retired Hollywood Insider

Apr 2007

Quote:
Unboxing of my new sony FMP-X1 4K UHD media player - YouTube

The previously posted video from the same author showing a walkthrough of the 4K movie interface and his latest download of Looper seemed to work for him.
No way Ray, I’m talking unboxing my 4K Blu-ray movie, not the hockey puck. How do you do a YouTube video of unboxing 'bits'.
To Whom It May Concern - The offers/inquires are appreciated; however, I no longer work only for perks from studio-based home entertainment companies.

Click on this to Learn how to HELP by simply texting
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...ostcount=11973
Old 10-03-2013, 09:52 PM   #5425
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
More hassle, great
Old 10-03-2013, 09:52 PM   #5426
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Quote:
great so spend more money on backups of large collections. also, if you have a hard drive failure you lose a TON of movies. one disc goes bad in a collection due to a printing failure you're out one or two movies. not half your collection.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:54 PM   #5427
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw89 View Post
I too will also stop at Blu-ray, the quality far exceeds anything else I'd expect so it's good enough for me.
For some of us, the only thing "good enough" is the latest and greatest.

If you have an opportunity see true 4K Ultra content on a demo. Just looking at the expanded color palette hooked me.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:00 PM   #5428
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penton-Man View Post
No way Ray, I’m talking unboxing my 4K Blu-ray movie, not the hockey puck. How do you do a YouTube video of unboxing 'bits'.
I'm sure you will find a way to deal with your uncontrollable urges.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:04 PM   #5429

Apr 2007

Quote:
I'm sure you will find a way to deal with your uncontrollable urges.
I race the mountain bike course at Fontana...regularly.
To Whom It May Concern - The offers/inquires are appreciated; however, I no longer work only for perks from studio-based home entertainment companies.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:17 PM   #5430
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008

Quote:
I race the mountain bike course at Fontana...regularly.
I assume you're talking about these: http://www.southridgeusa.com/schedule2013.php

I recall discussing it in your pre-retirement thread. I used to hike that area regularly. The races enhanced my hiking experience. I hiked the courses on weekdays and during racetime in March, I regularly slipped on gobbets of epidermis and crushed bike parts. I can see how that could take your mind off BD unboxingings.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:57 PM   #5431

Apr 2007

Quote:
I assume you're talking about these: http://www.southridgeusa.com/schedule2013.php
Yes, SRC!

Quote:
I recall discussing it in your pre-retirement thread. I used to hike that area regularly. The races enhanced my hiking experience. I hiked the courses on weekdays and during racetime in March, I regularly slipped on gobbets of epidermis and crushed bike parts.
Too funny. Over the years, probably some of mine too.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:11 PM   #5432

Apr 2007

Quote:
...I recall discussing it in your pre-retirement thread. I used to hike that area regularly. The races enhanced my hiking experience. I hiked the courses on weekdays and during racetime in March, I regularly slipped on gobbets of epidermis and crushed bike parts. I can see how that could take your mind off BD unboxingings.
Maybe I could do, or find, an 'unboxing of bits' YouTube video for 4K movie downloads, something similar to graphically representing color in a three dimensional space -

^ but even so, it would still be a relative snoozer compared to a physical unboxing. Tayna apparently likes the monkey -

Old 10-04-2013, 07:39 PM   #5433
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Funny, I always though Ms Tate was Scottish, but that's definitely a Scouse twang (albeit with a mid-Atlantic twist). I always watch her, ah, performances with the sound down, so that explains it...
Old 10-04-2013, 09:47 PM   #5434

Apr 2007

Geoff, or Steed (http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread....ng#post8190956), will one of you Brits please define “a Scouse twang” because I don’t know what you’re talking about.

And if Tob is reading, as an aside, my beloved grandmother (passed years ago) sometimes would say to me when we visited their farm in upstate Pennsylvania…“You’re a real Corker.” Was that comment meant to be a compliment or not?

Old 10-04-2013, 09:55 PM   #5435

Aug 2008

Quote:
Geoff, or Steed (http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread....ng#post8190956), will one of you Brits please define “a Scouse twang” because I don’t know what you’re talking about.

And if Tob is reading, as an aside, my beloved grandmother (passed years ago) sometimes would say to me when we visited their farm in upstate Pennsylvania…“You’re a real Corker.” Was that comment meant to be a compliment or not?
A scouser is someone from Merseyside (which includes Liverpool). Ie The Beatles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scouser
Old 10-04-2013, 10:58 PM   #5436

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
“You’re a real Corker.” Was that comment meant to be a compliment or not?
You must have been playing with one of these:

Old 10-04-2013, 11:13 PM   #5437
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2011
England

Quote:

Well, corker means a good person. Or it can mean a person is a true 'one off'

A Corker can be someone of substance
A kind or thoughtful person.
A special person

North East England anyway. Don't know about rest of UK or indeed Ireland.
As for 'scouse' that is not something that is easy to describe. I will try to find a YouTube link.

Penton Man, having trouble with ipad, however, look up someone like Jamie Carragher on YouTube, as he has a very strong 'scouse accent' in my opinion.

Last edited by Steedeel; 10-04-2013 at 11:20 PM.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:04 PM   #5438
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
To add to the above: 'Scouser' refers to someone from the Merseyside area, primarily Liverpool, with 'Scouse' being the name of their distinctive accent ('twang' being my own colloquialism for the latter word).

Jamie Carragher and Stevie G are prime examples, as is Wayne Rooney (though he's from the blue side of the tracks).
Old 10-05-2013, 03:35 PM   #5439
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Unless you have to feel the texture of the disk in your hand, I don't get it.

4K movies come with Ultraviolet. You turn on your PS4, go to your collection of purchased 4K movies and "cybergrab" one. No issues with physical storage or deterioration of media, slipcovers, etc. What's not to like?

First, I have no idea what you mean with slipcovers being a negative of physical media. Also I have never heard of anyone making a big deal with deterioration and in my almost 25 years of collecting several thousand CD/DVD/BD I never once had “deterioration” playback issues (I did have one case where I had to wash a disk because it was full of gooey BBQ ribs sauce and once where a friends kid broke a disk because he had a fight with his brother but never deterioration that affected playback). The space argument I have heard before many times but to me it sounds more like an excuse since with a few feet of useless wall space you can have thousands of movies in a space that is useless (i.e. people don’t tend to walk around a room glued to the walls) and even if that is not enough, something like [img] http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...L._AA1500_.jpg [/img] can hold 1000 disks and is 23.5x15.5x7 so unless someone is in jail or the military I don’t get why it would be an issue even in a small apartment.
-----
Second, why do I like physical media?

1)The main reason is what can be called ownership (why I buy instead of rent) or control. Basically I can watch what I want, where I want, when I want in the quality I want. If I decide to go to my HT now and watch _____ I can, if I want to throw _____ in my car and go watch it at a friends, I can.....
2) Even though this is not a big deal, it is a lot easier and faster to pick a film off a wall than digitally
----
Lastly, as for what is not to like with virtual (I prefer that term over digital since CD’s, DVDs, BDs and 4K BDs are digital)
Lets divide it into two parts (even though they don’t need to be distinct.)

Streaming:

Two years ago one of my sister’s bought a new home and moved into it, she was without internet for a few days because when they could be there the cable guy could not and vice versa, same thing happened to a friend that changed ISP, my other sister has a cottage and no internet, so it is easy for me to throw in some BDs and go there and watch them there but we would not be able to stream anything there. What happens when you have internet problems or when the streaming provider has issues (PSN was down for around 3 weeks and last Christmas Netflix was down for a few hours)....

Also what happens when the place you got your film from closes down (plenty of companies go out of business or merge)? What if they lose the contract with the studio (happened a few times already, that is why on places like Netflix there is content that was there at some point but is no longer there), the director decides he prefers the new cut and pulls the old one (or the director/studio decides the film is no longer PC or does not represent their new image)?

Streaming works as a rental but not purchasing but I am not interested in renting

And let’s not forget BW and caps, who will pay for me to bump up both of those so that in the month of Oct I can watch 30-50 horror films in 4k (while my GF watches something else at least for some of those days)?.

DL:

DL might fix what I want when I want (assuming a connection is not needed on playback), but I can’t imagine it would be as easy as putting a BD in my pocket and bring it to my friends to watch it (or like this summer when I went to my sisters cottage for a week and threw 30 BDs in my bag) and so there is an issue with where I want. Also space/cost becomes a big issue fast, how many GB will a 4k movie be, and how much HDD will I need for my eventual collection? a 2TB drive works and space might not be an issue if we are discussing Joe that has a handful of film’s but what happens when it is in the thousands (for example I have over 3k DVDs and well over 1.5k BDs), who will pay for all those 2TB drives I will need (since I will most likely need hundreds of them)? What happens if an HDD drive fails (something that has happened to me three times) or I want to upgrade equipment (and what if the place I got the film from closed down or merged with a different company)?
Old 10-05-2013, 03:38 PM   #5440
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
My bet is that both of you would eventually embrace 4K via download if it is the only alternative.
maybe but it better be dirt cheap since the way virtual works now it is only a rental service (i.e. I mean it does not meat what I define as owning something) or made to work as well as physical copies.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology