Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Nekromantik (Blu-ray)
$20.19
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Blu-ray)
$10.39
Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.98
Game of Thrones - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.94
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.99
The Simpsons: The Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.96
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$199.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Oblivion (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Tim Burton Collection (Blu-ray)
$26.49
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals > Canadian Deals

Old 10-28-2013, 12:29 AM   #1

Jan 2009
Vancouverish, Canada
Default Best region-free 3D player deal in Canada?

Hi all,

My wife has been asking for birthday/Xmas ideas, and the one thing I want but don't have is a region free 3D player.

I would like to find her a Canadian option, and would love some suggestions, preferably something that can be found in store within BC.

If no options are to be found locally, shipping might work. I just want to make it as easy as possible for her.

As long as it is 3D and region free, that's good enough. Anything else (Netflix, Hulu, etc) would just be icing on the fake. I allow would prefer a reasonable price point of under $300

I know this might not be the right forum for this, but I don't know where else to turn.

Thanks to my resident canuckians.
“Most of the successful people in Hollywood are failures as human beings.” - Brando
Player: HDA30 / PS3 / LG 645 3D BR / Sony S185
Receiver: Sony STR-DH520 (excellent budget receiver!)
TV: LG 55LW5300 3D LED LCD
Speakers: Energy Encore 5.1
Old 10-28-2013, 01:24 AM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2010
Ontario, Canada

locally may be an issue, but Amazon has this for far under your price point

http://www.amazon.ca/Orei-BDP-M2-Mul.../dp/B00AXEBU0W
TV: LG42LM6200 3DTV / Panasonic Viera TC-P50UT50
Blu Ray Player: Seiki BD 660 / Sony BDP-S590
HTPC: Running Ubuntu w/ XBMC
Consoles: Wii / Xbox 360

I'm Ron Burgundy?
Old 10-28-2013, 01:37 AM   #3

Jan 2009
Vancouverish, Canada

Oh awesome, yes that's great!

I've no idea how it didn't come up in my search, but I think this might be perfect.

The more I look, the more I realize that also having Netflix, et al isn't even remotely likely.

I'm still open for other possibilities, but I'll take what I can get, too
“Most of the successful people in Hollywood are failures as human beings.” - Brando
Old 10-28-2013, 02:30 AM   #4

Nov 2011
Oshawa, Ontario
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by andsoitgoes View Post
Oh awesome, yes that's great!

I've no idea how it didn't come up in my search, but I think this might be perfect.

The more I look, the more I realize that also having Netflix, et al isn't even remotely likely.

I'm still open for other possibilities, but I'll take what I can get, too
I have the orei and I love it. 3d looks great and I have had no issues with it. It runs a little loud but thats not a big problem.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:56 AM   #5

Jan 2009
Vancouverish, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinton3779 View Post
I have the orei and I love it. 3d looks great and I have had no issues with it. It runs a little loud but thats not a big problem.
Yeah, is as an owner of the old 360, sound is definitely not an issue

I've seen this one come up before, so I think this is the best choice, other than finding one with Netflix, which I think is highly unlikely.

I'll do a bit of searching, but can I use this to stream video from my NAS? Dlna and all?

Edit: CRAP, it can't play any media files, via USB or network. That's a serious bummer

I wonder if the only other solution is a $300+ Oppo or whatever

Last edited by andsoitgoes; 10-28-2013 at 03:02 AM.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:04 AM   #6

Nov 2011
Oshawa, Ontario
Canada

Quote:

I've seen this one come up before, so I think this is the best choice, other than finding one with Netflix, which I think is highly unlikely.

I'll do a bit of searching, but can I use this to stream video from my NAS? Dlna and all?
I really have no idea as all I use it for is a secondary player for my region b~c titles. Sorry I can't be more help to you.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:37 PM   #7
Expert Member

Jun 2012
New Brunswick, Canada

Quote:

Edit: CRAP, it can't play any media files, via USB or network. That's a serious bummer

I wonder if the only other solution is a $300+ Oppo or whatever

Other choice might be to scour your local Kijiji/Craig's list/Canuck Audio Mart and try to find someone selling an Oppo BDP-93 with the region-free chip mod. This would allow you to have Netflix also.

Lots of folks upgrading to the newer BDP-103, 103Darbee and 105s, so there are a few out there. Depending on the seller, though, it might be difficult to get it under your $300 budget; but I have seen people sell them for just under that - takes some digging and patience.

I was able to find a Seiki BD660 at my local pawn shop for cheap. When this was being sold at Walmart, there were lots of good reviews about its region-free capabilities. I currently have a Sony BDP-5100 as my main player and this Seiki set up as a backup for the few times I play discs which are not Region A or region-free.

Good luck.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:20 PM   #8
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Panther View Post

I have this player. It is excellent. Seems very well built as well. Doesn't "feel" cheap.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:22 PM   #9
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2009

Here's the M1 on Ebay from Bombay Electronics for $149.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Multi-Zone-C...item5d31b13d99
Old 10-29-2013, 02:11 AM   #10

Aug 2010
Canaduh

Quick question for anyone;

I have a region free Blu Ray player (Insignia) which I use for DVDs and BDs from the UK. Up until now all my 3D movies have been purchased from US & Canada but I'm about to order a few from the UK. I'm positive I had read somewhere that all 3D BDs are not region locked and would work in a US PS3. Can anyone confirm?
Old 10-29-2013, 02:16 AM   #11

Aug 2010
Canaduh

Quote:
Originally Posted by britbill4000 View Post
Quick question for anyone;

I have a region free Blu Ray player (Insignia) which I use for DVDs and BDs from the UK. Up until now all my 3D movies have been purchased from US & Canada but I'm about to order a few from the UK. I'm positive I had read somewhere that all 3D BDs are not region locked and would work in a US PS3. Can anyone confirm?
Nevermind...found this;

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=160247

Guess I'll also be ordering the Orei
Old 10-29-2013, 08:32 AM   #12

Sep 2013

This amazon review claims Orei can only output 2 channel audio:

"While the Orei supports (meaning reads) up to Dolby 7.1, the fact is that the audio output is only 2 channel (as stated on the box) whether using HDMI, optical or coaxial. Still a great player when hooked up to a 2 channel soundbar. Just don't expect superior 5.1 surround sound on a 5.1 receiver."
Old 10-29-2013, 09:52 AM   #13
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Far Out View Post
This amazon review claims Orei can only output 2 channel audio:

"While the Orei supports (meaning reads) up to Dolby 7.1, the fact is that the audio output is only 2 channel (as stated on the box) whether using HDMI, optical or coaxial. Still a great player when hooked up to a 2 channel soundbar. Just don't expect superior 5.1 surround sound on a 5.1 receiver."
They must have their settings messed up. I can get full 7.1 audio using this player.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:14 PM   #14

Jul 2012
Lindsay Ontario Canada
Thumbs up Thanks for the link,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Panther View Post

Thanks for the link.I just added it to my miscellaneous wish list.I could use a region free player.At the moment I just have a Panasonic DMP BDT500,only plays region A.
Panasonic TC-P65VT50 Smart VIERA 3D HD Plasma,
Blu-ray Player:Panasonic DMP-BDT500,
Receiver:Pioneer Elite CS-57,
Front Speakers:Paradigm Studio 20,Rear:Paradigm Millenia ADP,Center:Paradigm CC 300,Sub:Paradigm Series 7 Sub 10,
Bell HD Satellite Desk top Receiver/PVR,
Remote:Harmony 650
Old 10-29-2013, 12:58 PM   #15
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2009
Calgary, Canada

Personally I had nothing but problems with the two Orei I got from Amazon. Both would constantly lock up and need to be unplugged and plugged back in. The PQ was not very good either. The remote was also very unresponsive which made changing the region a chore. Wasn't alone because when I talked to Amazon.ca they mentioned others had returned it and didn't recommend trying another one. Also a fair bit of reviews on Amazon.com that mentioned the problems while Amazon.ca seemed to filter out the negative reviews. Seemed like a very cheap player with a very poor job done making it region free.

So went with a LG BP620 which is no longer available from Multi-System Canada instead and the extra cost was well worth it. A much better player to begin with plus the way you change the region code is much simpler and faster. They also provide you with a firmware disc should the region free playback stop functioning which the Orei didn't have. Have not had any playback problems, the PQ is great, the load times are great and changing the region is a breeze. All you need to do is push 1, 2 or 3 with the power off.

So personally I would avoid that Orei and find a player from Multi-System Canada instead since they seem like a far better company than Bombay to me. Some of their players are also fulfilled by Amazon.ca like mine was.

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/node/index.h...=AOFN7Y8UZVZ7C
★ XBL: xHAYA8U5Ax | PSN: Hayabusa85 | Wii U: Hayabusa85 ★
Old 10-29-2013, 01:07 PM   #16

Jul 2012
Lindsay Ontario Canada
Thumbs up Good to know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusa85 View Post
Personally I had nothing but problems with the two Orei I got from Amazon. Both would constantly lock up and need to be unplugged and plugged back in. The PQ was not very good either. The remote was also very unresponsive which made changing the region a chore. Wasn't alone because when I talked to Amazon.ca they mentioned others had returned it and didn't recommend trying another one. Also a fair bit of reviews on Amazon.com that mentioned the problems while Amazon.ca seemed to filter out the negative reviews. Seemed like a very cheap player with a very poor job done making it region free.

So went with a LG BP620 which is no longer available from Multi-System Canada instead and the extra cost was well worth it. A much better player to begin with plus the way you change the region code is much simpler and faster. They also provide you with a firmware disc should the region free playback stop functioning which the Orei didn't have. Have not had any playback problems, the PQ is great, the load times are great and changing the region is a breeze. All you need to do is push 1, 2 or 3 with the power off.

So personally I would avoid that Orei and find a player from Multi-System Canada instead since they seem like a far better company than Bombay to me. Some of their players are also fulfilled by Amazon.ca like mine was.

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/node/index.h...=AOFN7Y8UZVZ7C
Thanks for the 411,I have removed the player I just added and will check out the other link you just posted,actually went to that page and will look at it later.You just stopped me from buying a piece of crap.
Front Speakers:Paradigm Studio 20,Rear:Paradigm Millenia ADP,Center:Paradigm CC 300,Sub:Paradigm Series 7 Sub 10,
Old 10-29-2013, 01:28 PM   #17
Expert Member

Feb 2011
Toronto, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Terry View Post
Thanks for the link.I just added it to my miscellaneous wish list.I could use a region free player.At the moment I just have a Panasonic DMP BDT500,only plays region A.
Double check something with your Panasonic.
While the manual states Region A, there is an easy way you should be able to play region locked Blu Rays.
- Insert the region locked Blu Ray
- When the message stating that the BD player can only play region A, press stop, wait until stop shows on the BD display.
- Then press 1, then enter. You should now be able to play the BD now.

This works for my DMP BD60, so I'd expect it to work on all Panny players

Edit: note that this will only work for Blu Rays, it will not work for locked DVDs.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:12 PM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2007
Toronto, Canada

Hmm... I am curious now if this will work on mine too! Thanks for the tip. I don't think I own a non-A region movies though to try this out with...
Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO141FD Owner
My Flickr
Old 10-29-2013, 02:43 PM   #19

Jul 2012
Lindsay Ontario Canada
Thumbs up You get bonus points for that

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpf View Post
Double check something with your Panasonic.
While the manual states Region A, there is an easy way you should be able to play region locked Blu Rays.
- Insert the region locked Blu Ray
- When the message stating that the BD player can only play region A, press stop, wait until stop shows on the BD display.
- Then press 1, then enter. You should now be able to play the BD now.

This works for my DMP BD60, so I'd expect it to work on all Panny players

Edit: note that this will only work for Blu Rays, it will not work for locked DVDs.
Well that is good to know,now I just need a BD from another region.
You are so smart
Old 10-30-2013, 08:52 PM   #20

Aug 2010
at a videostore
Default Region Free Bluray Sellers

Does anybody have any experience buying region free players from these websites?

http://www.world-import.com/

http://www.220-electronics.com/
I have amassed an amazingly large BLURAY & DVD collection and has never once alphabetised it.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals > Canadian Deals