Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Let's Be Cops (Blu-ray)
$9.96

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.96

The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$18.99

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.99

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$149.99

True Detective (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Homeland: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Vikings: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

True Blood: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99

22 Jump Street (Blu-ray)
$14.99

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 03-27-2010, 05:28 AM   #1

Aug 2007
Arrow MALEFICENT (Disney - Burton)

Quote:
Disney, never one to shy from striking while the iron is hot, appears to be revving up production on Maleficent, the story from the perspective of the wicked fairy godmother that casts a spell on Sleeping Beauty, and a key actor may play the villain. Angelina Jolie, who has been rumored to star in every film in pre-production, is reportedly interested in playing the antagonist according to the LA Times, and it would mark a change of pace from her action-oriented film roles of late. If Disney could land Jolie, it would mark a potential headliner that might see the repeat of the success of Tim Burton’s recent smash Alice in Wonderland. In fact, Burton was rumored to be eyeing the project not long ago, while Disney just tabbed Linda Woolverton (Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King) to begin drafting the screenplay for the live-action project earlier this week.

For more detail on the project, including a further explanation of the Sleeping Beauty mythos and why Disney is so hot on retelling old stories from a different perspective, hit the jump.

“The wicked fairy godmother is the character who casts the original spell on Sleeping Beauty (a.k.a. Princess Aurora, quoth Wikipedia) that the young girl will prick herself on a splinter and die; Maleficent is an archrival of sorts to the good fairy godmother, who casts a counter-spell that says the girl will sleep for a century and then be awakened by the kiss of a prince. The original versions of the fairy tale don’t name Maleficent; the character was named and shaped by Disney for its 1959 film, and would of course be deepened and amplified for this one.”

With Jolie on the cusp of joining the project, Woolverton on board for the screenplay, Burton’s involvement is highly likely. Woolverton recently worked with Burton on Alice in Wonderland, though the reaction to that film has largely been very mixed. However, there is no denying the film made a ton of money and one can only imagine that this would bring in a hefty amount of money as well if marketed properly. The article also points out that Jolie could draw a key demographic to the live-action film: men.

How much interest she garners from the opposite sex is largely incumbent on the tone of the film, as her character is highly unlikely to be as sultry as she was in Wanted. Nevertheless, Jolie would give the film instant cache in terms of box office potential and one can only assume that Disney will make a push for her involvement.

Meanwhile, this would be yet another old property with a fresh coat of paint. This was recently done with the hit book and musical Wicked, in which the familiar story of the Wizard of Oz is told from the perspective of the Wicked Witch of the West. Disney also managed to capitalize on a different take with Alice, and are attempting to do the same with Rapunzel — I mean — Tangled. The name change was reported by the LA Times earlier this month to be a result of the efforts of Disney trying to remain marketable to the young boys they feel they missed out on in last year’s The Princess and the Frog. As misguided as that may be, this may be a key reason why Jolie might not be the only hot actress involved, both in looks and stock. Whatever happens with Maleficent, expect another gender-neutral name to appear and maybe they will surprise us and keep the film in 2D. Ah, who am I kidding?
I Like the Way You Move!

"This is the story of the GreenScar, The Eye Of Anger, The World Breaker, Harkanon, Haarg, Holku, HULK, and how he finally came home." May the Sakaarson show mercy on your soul!
Old 03-27-2010, 07:27 AM   #2
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Panem
Send a message via AIM to Darth Anakin Send a message via Yahoo to Darth Anakin

I don't think Angelina Jolie would be a good idea for this role, I actually think Rhona Mitra would be perfect for this. I think this is great, too many stories get told from the perspective of the hero, seeing more stories with the villain as the main character is nice.
Cowboys fan cautiously hoping for the best
My twitter - terribleomens19

Last edited by Darth Anakin; 03-27-2010 at 07:32 AM.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:15 AM   #3
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal
Send a message via Yahoo to P@t_Mtl

The new gimmick from Hollywood. Let's not break are little brain coming up with original stuff. Let's take a vilain from old stories and tell the story from their point of view. To make original for the viewers, let's do this in 3D with lot's of special effects. Raise the ticket price to $20 so we make even more money without much effort and then sell the Blu-ray with no bonus features so we can release a special edition 3D later on and squeeze more money out of people.
---------------------------------------------------
My avatar will Wait Until Dark for a Roman Holiday since this world as War & Peace
and it would be fun to actually have Breakfast At Tiffany's with My Fair Lady
Old 06-20-2012, 03:53 AM   #4
Michael Bay's #1 Fan

Aug 2008
Wisconsin PSNetwork: Blu-Benny

1st image of Angelina Jolie as the titla villian!!

[Show spoiler]

Quote:
Disney announced today that production has started on "Maleficent," starring Angelina Jolie. In addition to the announcement, the studio also revealed the first shot of Jolie as the title character. Check it out below.

Plot: This is the untold story of Disney's most beloved villain, Maleficent, from the 1959 classic "Sleeping Beauty." The film reveals the events that hardened her heart and drove her to curse the baby, Aurora.

The new movie is directed by two-time Oscar-winning production designer Robert Stromberg (Avatar, Alice in Wonderland), who is making his helming debut. It co-stars Shartlo Copley, Elle Fanning, Sam Riley, and Juno Temple, and is set to hit conventional and 3D theaters on March 14th, 2014.
Source
Blu-Benny’s 7.1 HT @ a Glance:
Display: Panasonic TC-P50U2 • Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR818 • Blu-Ray Player: Panasonic DMP-BD65 • Gaming: PS3 Slim 160 gb • Center Channel: JBL LC2 • Fronts: JBL L890 • Mid’s & Rears: JBL L810 • Subs: SVS SB-2000

"We have no food, we have no jobs....OUR PETS' HEADS ARE FALLING OFF!!"
Old 06-20-2012, 05:28 AM   #5
Expert Member

Apr 2009
Virginia
Send a message via MSN to madmojo

Ugh. Just ugh.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:44 AM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2007
Sacramento, CA

That image gets me a little interested. That is literally all the interest I have in it. I won't knock the movie until I see a trailer, but I can't imagine a good one right now. We'll see.
Wolverine: I'm the best at what I do.
Deadpool: And now I'm better at doing whatever it is Wolverine does!

"In my youth I courted war." -Thor
Old 06-20-2012, 02:19 PM   #7
Gaming Moderator

Jul 2008
Arkham Asylum

Wonderful
Old 06-20-2012, 03:07 PM   #8
Michael Bay's #1 Fan

Aug 2008
Wisconsin PSNetwork: Blu-Benny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. J View Post
Wonderful
I have to agree w/u on that one!!!
Blu-Benny’s 7.1 HT @ a Glance:
Display: Panasonic TC-P50U2 • Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR818 • Blu-Ray Player: Panasonic DMP-BD65 • Gaming: PS3 Slim 160 gb • Center Channel: JBL LC2 • Fronts: JBL L890 • Mid’s & Rears: JBL L810 • Subs: SVS SB-2000

"We have no food, we have no jobs....OUR PETS' HEADS ARE FALLING OFF!!"
Old 06-20-2012, 03:47 PM   #9
Gaming Moderator

Jul 2008
Arkham Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Benny View Post
I have to agree w/u on that one!!!
Well you already know I'm all for this one
Old 06-20-2012, 08:41 PM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
Athens, Greece

She looks Maleficent! Angelina Jolie gets constant touch-ups to her villainous costume as she starts shooting new Disney movie

Quote:
Everyone knows that a hair and make-up team are always on standby on a film set, but some stars need it more than others.
Angelina Jolie is certainly in need of regular touch-ups for her latest role and was spotted being pampered on the set of Maleficent in Buckinghamshire today.
The 37-year-old has taken on the role of evil sorcess Maleficient in an adaptation of Sleeping Beauty and to do so, she has undergone something of a transformation.

Playing the part well: Angelina Jolie certainly appeared to be in character as Maleficent as she wandered across the grass on the first day of shooting of the new Disney movie

How do I look? Angelina Jolie speaks with a make-up artist on her first day on the Maleficent movie set

Angelina was seen in the middle of a field today in full costume as she continued to film scenes for the upcoming Disney movie.
Wearing a long brown cape and black horns, the actress was spied having her make-up retouched by a female artist while a male member of the crew dealt with her long brunette hair.
It was only yesterday that fans got a sneak peek of Angelina's character and what they can expect from the fairytale film.

Transformation: The actress was wearing a long brown cape and black horns as she stood in the middle of a field

Time for a touch up: Angelina Jolie has her hair and make-up seen to as she continues to film Disney film Maleficent

Working their magic: A female make-up artist was seen applying a product to Angelina's face while her long hair was held back

Wearing a leather horned headdress, and yellowed contacts, the actress was also given a bit of help in the cheek department with the addition of some Lady Gaga-style cheek prosthetics.
Angelina plays the title role in the updated version of Disney's 1959 animated feature Sleeping Beauty and of her costuming she said: 'We’re experimenting with different things. But the horns are the horns — you can’t deny them. You have to have horns.'

Enjoying herself: The Hollywood star shared a joke with the crew in between takes

Double take: Angelina was surrounded by cattle as she shot her scenes and a lookalike was also on set

Getting into the role: Angelina looked in good spirits on the set, despite a long day of filming

What's so funny? Angelina shared a joke with the crew as she headed back to do another take of one particular scene

In this updated version, the focus of the film centres on the events that hardened Maleficent's heart, leading her to curse the baby Aurora (Sleeping Beauty), played by Elle Fanning.
Angelina told EW: 'It’s not anti-princess, but it’s the first time they’re looking at this epic woman.
'I hope in the end you see a woman who is capable of being many things, and just because she protects herself and is aggressive, it doesn’t mean she can’t have other [warmer] qualities'

Impressive: Angelina wore a full-skirted dress underneath a huge coat for the scenes

Heading into the light: Two huge studio lights were shone on Angelina as the natural light began to fade on the set of the film

As a woman who is used to dividing opinion, Angelina was clearly attracted to taking on such a 'imperfect' character.
She said: 'It sounds really crazy to say that there will be something that’s good for young girls in this, because it sounds like you’re saying they should be a villain. [Maleficent] is actually a great person. But she’s not perfect. She’s far from perfect.'
Angelina was seen taking her family to see musical Wicked based on the novel by Gregory Maguire while in London, which similarly tells the story of the Wicked Witch Of The West before she turns bad.

'In general, it’s a very good message to say, “Let’s look at something from the other side.” But then also, what our challenge will be - and the script writer [The Lion King and Alice in Wonderland’s Linda Woolverton] has already cracked it - is not to simplify it, not to just reverse the story but tell a bigger story that doesn’t point the finger [at Princess Aurora] either.'
According to the popular fairytale, Maleficent was angry that she wasn't invited to the beautiful Princess's christening, and as a result cursed the infant to prick her finger on the spindle of a spinning wheel and die before the end of her 16th birthday.

Other stars signed up to the film include Miranda Richardson, who will play Queen Ulla, and Juno Temple, as Thistletwit, one of the three fairies tasked with taking care of Aurora in a cottage in the woods - which, going on the set, may now be a tent in a small settlement.
She is joined by Imelda Staunton will play fairy Knotgrass and Lesley Manville who will star as fairy Flittle.

But it is still unclear who will play Prince Philip, Aurora's love and the man who defeats Maleficent, although as other characters' names have been changed, it could well be Control star Sam Riley, who is billed to play Diaval.
The Jolie-Pitts have made the U.K. their temporary home and have been seen on family outings to the theatre and stores.

Crew member have been busy erecting tepee style style tents, stoves over open fires, crumbly brick walls and horse-drawn carts.
And while they work to make the set look perfect for their star, security guards with huge Rottweilers patrol the perimeter.
The film will be directed by Robert Stromberg and is set for release on March 14, 2014.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...#ixzz1yMbY8i00

I know it's gonna change, but I can't say I like this outfit. It looks too much like a costume, I expected it to be more "seamless". The horns could have been more natural-looking as well. They look like an add-on you have glued on somebody. The originals looked like they were an extension of here skull or something.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:39 AM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2011
California!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnds500 View Post
She looks Maleficent! Angelina Jolie gets constant touch-ups to her villainous costume as she starts shooting new Disney movie

I know it's gonna change, but I can't say I like this outfit. It looks too much like a costume, I expected it to be more "seamless". The horns could have been more natural-looking as well. They look like an add-on you have glued on somebody. The originals looked like they were an extension of here skull or something.

I bet they will cgi them on her.
But i will be watching it!
Anna Faris' Biggest Fan

Elizabeth Berkeley in
SHOWGIRLS in Dazzling 3D

Merry Christmas B**ch!
Old 06-21-2012, 04:00 AM   #12
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2011
Nashua, NH

It's a wee bit early to start criticizing, especially based on lousy paparazzi photos. The first promo image was excellent, so I'm going off of that for now.
TV: Vizio E371VL
BD player: Insignia NS-BRDVD3
Sound Bar: Vizio VSB200
Old 11-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2011
Raleigh

Bleh.

Old 11-14-2013, 03:15 PM   #14
Blu-ray Count

Feb 2010
Illinois

holy dead thread revival, Batman! There's already a thread discussing this that's been going strong for a long time. It's right there on page one.
Guess this other one got lost. Time to merge.
The Official Movie Money/Movie Cash/Free Ticket Thread - first post always updated with all current promotions!

Don't use your UV/digital copy codes? Send them my way! I'll give them a good home!
:)
Old 11-14-2013, 03:20 PM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2011
Raleigh

Haha! I did a title search by 'Maleficent' and this is the only one that came up. I was wondering why it hadn't been discussed in such a long time.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:24 PM   #16
Blu-ray Count

Feb 2010
Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Marcus View Post
Haha! I did a title search by 'Maleficent' and this is the only one that came up. I was wondering why it hadn't been discussed in such a long time.
Guess that's what happened before too. Technically this was the first thread on the movie.
Either way, mods will merge them for us.
The Official Movie Money/Movie Cash/Free Ticket Thread - first post always updated with all current promotions!

Don't use your UV/digital copy codes? Send them my way! I'll give them a good home!
:)
Old 11-14-2013, 05:47 PM   #17
Suspended

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinemaphile View Post
Guess that's what happened before too. Technically this was the first thread on the movie.
Either way, mods will merge them for us.
And the fact that the announcement still has "Tim Burton" on it, and has the Sept. '10 date, a speedy "what took them so long?" three weeks after You-Know-What, pretty much speaks volumes about the movie.

Thankfully, they're into their ABC Once Upon A Time phase with the fangirls now, we just keep headers like this around to embarrass them.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies