Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
15 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
15 hrs ago
Alien Anthology and Prometheus (Blu-ray)
$19.98

Godzilla 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
11 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow (Blu-ray)
$14.99
20 hrs ago
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Blu-ray)
$14.99
15 hrs ago
The Wizard of Oz 3D (Blu-ray)
$46.70
3 hrs ago
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$24.99
43 min ago
Jersey Boys (Blu-ray)
$14.99
20 hrs ago
Neighbors (Blu-ray)
$9.99
20 hrs ago
Tammy (Blu-ray)
$14.99
20 hrs ago
Time Bandits (Blu-ray)
$21.99
8 hrs ago
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Italy

Old 11-17-2013, 11:52 AM   #21
Expert Member

Apr 2010
London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prim View Post
According to dvd-store.it, 01 Distrubution is the producer of this Blu-Ray edition. So, I went to their home page, here. We can only hope and pray that this info is correct.
Great find! Well its on their official website so unless its a mistake it has to be true. BTW am i going mad or not but wasnt the special edition 2 disc DVD set 5.1 audio? The Blu Ray here is only stating 2.0.

EDIT: I also downloaded the presspack off the site and translated it.

"Subtitles Italian NU
no subtitles"

No subs by the looks of things. Not that a big of a deal for me but i know it is for others.
The World Is Yours

Pre-Orders:Skyfall Steelbook, Who Framed Roger Rabbit Steelbook
My Blu Ray Collection http://youtu.be/7Jk3cPdrmL8

Last edited by Andy CYP; 11-17-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:45 PM   #22
Expert Member

Apr 2010
Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy CYP View Post
Great find! Well its on their official website so unless its a mistake it has to be true. BTW am i going mad or not but wasnt the special edition 2 disc DVD set 5.1 audio? The Blu Ray here is only stating 2.0.

EDIT: I also downloaded the presspack off the site and translated it.

"Subtitles Italian NU
no subtitles"

No subs by the looks of things. Not that a big of a deal for me but i know it is for others.
Happy to help, any way I can.

The DVD also had 2.0 (the R1 DVD), but I'm unsure if it's the original track or just a mixdown. Either way, it was compressed DD. I don't know regarding Dynamite's 5.1 track, but if it's as botched as some of the other Leone westerns from MGM, then I'm happy we're better off without it, to be honest. I'll take the original soundtrack any day over any remix, and I'm assuming that this BD has the original track, just dual mono (and lossless!). Subtitles aren't a big deal for me either. It should be fun to watch this again after all these years, it has to be at least 10 years since I saw this one.

Last edited by Prim; 11-17-2013 at 12:55 PM.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:54 PM   #23
Expert Member

Apr 2010
London

Quote:
The DVD also had 2.0 (the R1 DVD), but I'm unsure if it's the original track or just a mixdown. Either way, it was compressed DD. I don't know regarding Dynamite's 5.1 track, but if it's as botched as some of the other Leone westerns from MGM, then I'm happy we're better off without it, to be honest. I'll take the original soundtrack any day over any remix, and I'm assuming that this BD has the original track, just dual mono (and lossless!). Subtitles aren't a big deal for me either.
I just had to check again because it was wracking my brain. And yes my 2 disc DVD set is 5.1 ( Region 2 ). I havent seen it in a long time so cant really recall that well if it was a good edit but agree with you though that most of these 5.1 tracks are just butchered compared to the original mono. Would have been nice to have both tracks on the Blu Ray though.
The World Is Yours

Old 11-17-2013, 01:04 PM   #24
Expert Member

Apr 2010
Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy CYP View Post
I just had to check again because it was wracking my brain. And yes my 2 disc DVD set is 5.1 ( Region 2 ). I havent seen it in a long time so cant really recall that well if it was a good edit but agree with you though that most of these 5.1 tracks are just butchered compared to the original mono. Would have been nice to have both tracks on the Blu Ray though.
If it's a good remix, then nothing should give you an indication that it is in fact a remix (that's my uneducated theory ).

Like The Good The Bad And The Ugly, it's apparent right away that it's a remix, since we know that they didn't use 90's gun stock sounds in the 60's. Other elements also have a much higher level of fidelity than the rest of the soundtrack, which is also very distracting.

The Terminator and Halloween are also examples of remixes that "take me out of the movie", having grown up watching the VHS versions of these movies.

But I agree with you. I'm better off without a remix, but live and let live, include both, and everyone is happy. I said that I'm happy that we're better off without, but that's just selfish, really.

Last edited by Prim; 11-17-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:17 PM   #25

Feb 2008

Found the listing for The Good, The Bad and The Ugly on the same site and it's regrettably listed as Italian only. Oddly enough, I can't find Once Upon A Time In The West on the site despite the fact that the same company is releasing it the same day.

I have a theory on the English listing for Giu La Testa that I hope is wrong. It's listed as Italian and English yet none of the other Leone movies have English tracks with them. I'm wondering if it's considering the "shon shon shon" on the soundtrack to be "English" and therefore it's saying the audio track(s) have Italian and English in them or if it legitimately means there is an English audio track.

Presuming the latter to be true, is there any word yet on the region capabilities of said disc?

Edit: In thinking about it, if my theory were true, then TGTBTU would be listed the same way because even in the original Italian audio mix, the "Story Of The Soldier" sequence is in English so I think I've probably, hopefully, defeated my theory in that regard.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:23 PM   #26
Expert Member

Apr 2010
Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by yojoeski View Post
Found the listing for The Good, The Bad and The Ugly on the same site and it's regrettably listed as Italian only. Oddly enough, I can't find Once Upon A Time In The West on the site despite the fact that the same company is releasing it the same day.

I have a theory on the English listing for Giu La Testa that I hope is wrong. It's listed as Italian and English yet none of the other Leone movies have English tracks with them. I'm wondering if it's considering the "shon shon shon" on the soundtrack to be "English" and therefore it's saying the audio track(s) have Italian and English in them or if it legitimately means there is an English audio track.

Presuming the latter to be true, is there any word yet on the region capabilities of said disc?

Edit: In thinking about it, if my theory were true, then TGTBTU would be listed the same way because even in the original Italian audio mix, the "Story Of The Soldier" sequence is in English so I think I've probably, hopefully, defeated my theory in that regard.
My theory is that Dynamite is (from what I know) a brand new restoration, but the some of the others were restored a couple of years ago. Maybe they have seen how many fans these releases get, and decided to include English? I don't know.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:55 PM   #27
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2009
UK

Fingers crossed for English sound...
"At a certain point in life, you realize you know more dead people than living."
Old 11-17-2013, 02:26 PM   #28
Expert Member

Apr 2010
London

Quote:
My theory is that Dynamite is (from what I know) a brand new restoration, but the some of the others were restored a couple of years ago. Maybe they have seen how many fans these releases get, and decided to include English? I don't know.
Would be incredible if it was a new restoration and going back to that presspack release again, after translation says "restored edition
Restored by the Cinematheque of Bologna with the Experimental Center of Cinematography".

Is it maybe referring to the restoration that took place in 2006 for the DVD? If not then this could be a real amazing Blu Ray PQ and AQ wise.
The World Is Yours

Old 11-17-2013, 02:52 PM   #29
Special Member

Jun 2011
London

I thought the DVD restoration looked pretty good, the best looking Leone DVD. I'm just hoping for an English track, that's the make or break.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:08 AM   #30
Expert Member

Apr 2010
London

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinemaScope View Post
I'm just hoping for an English track, that's the make or break.
Well fingers crossed it's looking promising. Not to long to find out now either.
The World Is Yours

Old 11-18-2013, 02:52 PM   #31

Feb 2009

Just found out this is coming out in couple of weeks. Now hoping it is indeed english friendly and the PQ is any good.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:46 AM   #32

Dec 2010
Italy

...During these days I contacted the Press Office Home Video, of the 01 DISTRIBUTION which will handle the distribution of the New Release of "GIU' LA TESTA" on Blu Ray Disc, and these are the OFFICIAL Technical Details of the upcoming release, including the Original audio Track in English, so I would say you can rest assured, as the English Track will be present ... :

GIU’ LA TESTA

Restored Edition
Restaurato dalla cineteca di Bologna con il Centro sperimentale di Cinematografia

BLU RAY DISC TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS AND SPECIAL CONTENTS:

BD TYPE 50-GB
FORMATO VIDEO PRINCIPALE 2,35:1 1080P@24
sedici noni
COLORE
DURATA FILM 157@24
AUDIO Italiano 2.0 (DTS HD)
Inglese 2.0 (DTS HD)
SOTTOTITOLI Italiano NU
senza sottotitoli
EXTRA SPECIALE SERGIO LEONE
Credits

...Regarding the Restoration instead, here are some additional details about ...:

""The restoration of GIU' LA TESTA was made from the original negative and magnetic soundtrack From Sergio Leone Foundation .

This copy corresponds to the full version that Sergio Leone approved in 1971.

The Techniscope negative was scanned at a resolution of 2K and digitally restored, the color correction was performed taking as reference a positive print of 1971.

The English version sound was restored from the original magnetic materials used for mixing in mono.

The film was restored by the Cinematheque of Bologna at L'Immagine Ritrovata laboratory in 2009, with the approval of the Sergio Leone Foundation .""
...The eyes let flow with tears, then blood, then the very soul—the whole wrung inside out, dripping down into the blackened puddle of the past...

... THE CINEMA IS AN INVENTION WITHOUT A FUTURE ! ...
Louis Lumière

Last edited by Jesse_James; 11-19-2013 at 06:30 AM.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:14 AM   #33
Expert Member

Apr 2010
London

Oh boy! This is going to be something special. Thanks for the info JesseJames.
The World Is Yours

Old 11-19-2013, 12:25 PM   #34

Feb 2008

English? Check. Now can we get some info on region compatibility? Also can we get some more information on this company's releases of The Good The Bad and The Ugly as well as Once Upon A Time In The West?
Old 11-19-2013, 01:03 PM   #35

Jan 2013

any info on Il colosso di Rodi ??
Old 11-19-2013, 02:58 PM   #36

Feb 2011
UK

Thanks for the info Jesse_James!

I've just checked and it seems like the other O1 Distribution Leone releases will not have English audio according to the O1 website. Can't find much information about 'Il Colosso Di Rodi'...
Old 11-19-2013, 03:28 PM   #37
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2009
UK

Despite that official info, I'll still wait for confirmation of english sound, from whoever buys a copy first.

Edit: F*** it, ordered a copy, hope the info was correct.
"At a certain point in life, you realize you know more dead people than living."

Last edited by SymbioticFunction; 11-19-2013 at 04:38 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:48 PM   #38
Special Member

Jun 2011
London

Looks like I'm going to be buying this (I'll read a report or two first), probably my last Blu-ray purchase of the year. It's been an interesting year for catalogue releases, hopefully next year will be even better.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:29 PM   #39

Jan 2013

where id you all order form? amazon.it is wanting 10 euro shipping! for some reason.. de and uk are around the 3-4 mark
Old 11-20-2013, 02:33 PM   #40
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2009
UK

Used amazon.it. Ordered the uncut German For A Few Dollars More at the same time.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Italy