COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best PS4 Deals

Top PS4 Deals, Cheap PS4 Games!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Lego Movie Videogame (Blu-ray)
$30.77
UFC (Blu-ray)
$39.93
Call of Duty: Ghosts (Blu-ray)
$52.99
Wolfenstein: The New Order (Blu-ray)
$39.99
NBA 2K14 (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Knack (Blu-ray)
$30.51
Angry Birds: Star Wars (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Bound By Flame (Blu-ray)
$39.87
Skylanders Swap Force (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Need for Speed: Rivals (Blu-ray)
$49.88
Watch Dogs (Blu-ray)
$47.41
Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark (Blu-ray)
$47.62
Murdered: Soul Suspect (Blu-ray)
$47.92
FIFA 14 (Blu-ray)
$42.06
Trials Fusion (Blu-ray)
$35.35
LittleBigPlanet 3 (Blu-ray)
$59.96
Dragon Age: Inquisition (Blu-ray)
$69.96
Battlefield Hardline Deluxe Edition (Blu-ray)
$69.96
Sniper Elite III (Blu-ray)
$47.92

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4

Old 12-10-2013, 10:08 AM   #161
Power Member

Oct 2007
Dunsfold

I'm not using the PS4 for BD playback. Did a direct comparison of The Hobbit EE on the PS4 and PS3 and the PS4 image looks softer for some reason, like DNR has been applied to it automatically.

Sony put a cheap BD drive into the 60 gig when it was released, so the ol' 4 year old PS3 is still doing duty as my defacto blu ray player. No reason why the PS4 shouldn't be just as good (if not better!) with the kind of graphics muscle it has!
Samsung 3D F6800 40". PS4. 80 Gig PS3. Technika BRSS10 multi-region BD player.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:01 PM   #162
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2012
London
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildWhelk View Post
I'm not using the PS4 for BD playback. Did a direct comparison of The Hobbit EE on the PS4 and PS3 and the PS4 image looks softer for some reason, like DNR has been applied to it automatically.

Sony put a cheap BD drive into the 60 gig when it was released, so the ol' 4 year old PS3 is still doing duty as my defacto blu ray player. No reason why the PS4 shouldn't be just as good (if not better!) with the kind of graphics muscle it has!
I have my ps4 set up in my room and watch a lot of films there so its kinda frusturating knowing thats its going to be hit and miss on what films will play or not.

a broken product..I know its a games console..but dont offer features (blu ray film playback) that dont work..you would think that would have been the easiest thing to fix.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:52 PM   #163
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2008
The empire state (NYC)

That's why a stand alone BD player (Oppo, Panasonic) is the best option (even though I'm using my PS3 to play movies but I will get a Oppo someday).
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:37 PM   #164
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2012
London
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman1977 View Post
That's why a stand alone BD player (Oppo, Panasonic) is the best option (even though I'm using my PS3 to play movies but I will get a Oppo someday).
yep have a stand alone but thats in the general use area well looks like the ps3 owns ps4 at Blu ray movie playback....fail ps4!
Old 12-10-2013, 02:52 PM   #165
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2005
England

To me the PS4 is a better player than the 3 and I've had no issues with discs yet, but I've not watched many.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:06 PM   #166
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2012
London
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by partridge View Post
To me the PS4 is a better player than the 3 and I've had no issues with discs yet, but I've not watched many.
thats why you have not had a problem, ive watched lots of films on it so far, and certain titles are starting to pop up that have real issues working on system, ill keep a list of them as i keep going.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:16 PM   #167
Power Member

Nov 2010
Jackson, MS

The only issues I've had are a few movies took forever to load and on ONE occasion my PS4 froze up and I had to do a hard restart, neither of those are THAT big of a deal though.

My main issue is certain movies not putting the correct sound out to my Sony soundbar and sub. When I hit pause it will say it's playing the movie in 5.1 DTS-HD but when I hit "display" on my soundbar it will say it's outputting 2.0 Dolby Digital er something. Put the same movie in my PS3 and it works properly I'm not as savvy as most when it comes to sound but something seems weird about that.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:42 PM   #168
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2007

Many seem to take quite a bit longer to load and one of the titles mentioned (Rise of the Planet of the Apes) locks up on me during the 20th Century Fox logo. Trying to quit the playback, while not a hard lock, took forever closing it down and then it generated an error report. Because of such issues (along with wanting to use a real remote rather than a controller) I'm keeping the PS3 as my main Blu-ray player for now.
PSN: OWA
XBL: OWAXB1
Old 12-10-2013, 05:45 PM   #169
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

I'm having playback issues as well. Their is a lip synching issue with some of my disks. Also, it seems that any disk that has BD-Live is taking absolutely forever to load, especially the ones that stream up to date movie trailers. I put in Despicable Me the other day and from the time I put the disk in to the time the movie started playing was over 5 minutes. For movie watching I have gone back to using my PS3. Sony really needs to get their shit together on this stuff because for a brand new system it is performing horribly. I still cannot believe they are THIS behind on getting the software out there for multimedia functionality! Both for missing features and for performance of the features that are in there. Inexcusable IMO!
"Rocky Top you'll always be, home sweet home to me! Good ol' Rocky Top! Rocky Top Tennessee!"
Old 12-10-2013, 06:40 PM   #170
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Lucedale, MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiWanShinobi View Post
The only issues I've had are a few movies took forever to load and on ONE occasion my PS4 froze up and I had to do a hard restart, neither of those are THAT big of a deal though.
If my standalones did that I would take it back & get a refund.
PSN = derb
Xbox Live = BMW 135i Coupe

2013 Game of the Year - The Last of Us

PS3 Slim 320GB, PS3 Slim 1TB, PS3 S Slim 500GB, PS Vita 64GB, PS4 1.5TB, Xbox 360 S 250GB, Xbox 360 S 250GB+320GB, Xbox One 4TB WD, Nintendo Wii U 2TB WD, Nintendo 3DS XL 32GB
Old 12-10-2013, 07:31 PM   #171
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010
Rocky mountain Frontrange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derb View Post
Without a doubt.
If you are violent you are weak, for violence has no mind.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:23 PM   #172
Power Member

Nov 2010
Jackson, MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derb View Post
true, but there's a BIG difference between a standalone Blu-Ray player and the Playstation 4 which Sony has already come out and said is a videogame console first.

I'm sure this issue will get a firmware update in the near future that fixes Blu-Ray playback and adds 3D Blu-Ray support.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:49 PM   #173

Dec 2007
Irvine land of the FOBs

I have some major lip syncing issues playing blu-rays in my PS4. I don't think I have any delays set in my receiver. Blu-rays that I play in my standalone Sony player and XBONE play fine over the same receiver.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:58 AM   #174
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2012
London
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by owa View Post
Many seem to take quite a bit longer to load and one of the titles mentioned (Rise of the Planet of the Apes) locks up on me during the 20th Century Fox logo. Trying to quit the playback, while not a hard lock, took forever closing it down and then it generated an error report. Because of such issues (along with wanting to use a real remote rather than a controller) I'm keeping the PS3 as my main Blu-ray player for now.
thats exactly where my copy of Rise locks up to! its unwatchable on ps4!
Old 12-11-2013, 09:46 AM   #175
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgcue View Post
I have some major lip syncing issues playing blu-rays in my PS4. I don't think I have any delays set in my receiver. Blu-rays that I play in my standalone Sony player and XBONE play fine over the same receiver.
Turn "off" 1080p/24Hz and the lip synching issue should go away.

Something is definitely wrong with the PS4's implementation of it, like it does not detect all receivers properly or something. Like you my PS3 and standalone Samsung player have no issues with it, but the PS4 gives me the lip synch crap.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:25 AM   #176
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terjyn View Post
Turn "off" 1080p/24Hz and the lip synching issue should go away.

Something is definitely wrong with the PS4's implementation of it, like it does not detect all receivers properly or something. Like you my PS3 and standalone Samsung player have no issues with it, but the PS4 gives me the lip synch crap.
The ironic thing is that I have a Sony receiver!! You'd think this would at least be a non issue with their own receivers!
"Rocky Top you'll always be, home sweet home to me! Good ol' Rocky Top! Rocky Top Tennessee!"
Old 12-11-2013, 08:32 PM   #177
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007

Eh, I still assume it's a software bug that they will fix, and isn't really related to the receiver on the other end.

I just don't know how they got this wrong. The PS3 didn't have the problem, nor do any number of standalone Sony players.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:55 AM   #178
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2012
London
-

I see there was a ps4 update yesterday...not sure what it fixed???
Old 12-12-2013, 10:40 AM   #179
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadelf View Post
I see there was a ps4 update yesterday...not sure what it fixed???
Other than "system stability" not much else AFAIK.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:40 PM   #180
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2012
London
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
Other than "system stability" not much else AFAIK.
was it unstable?? i never noticed apart from the bloody blu ray playback
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4