COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$54.96
Poirot: The Complete Cases Collection (Blu-ray)
$198.49
Draft Day (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Dexter: The Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Orange Is the New Black: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Ray Donovan: Season One (Blu-ray)
$24.49
Uta no Prince-sama 2000%: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$37.28
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Sleepaway Camp (Blu-ray)
$15.99
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$91.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Destroy All Monsters (Blu-ray)
$12.74
Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (Blu-ray)
$24.99
D-Day Remembered (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Hawaii Five-0: The Third Season (Blu-ray)
$23.24
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Baltimore Ravens: Road to XLVII (Blu-ray)
$20.08
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies

Old 12-13-2013, 09:18 PM   #21
Power Member

Apr 2011

Anyone know if there are "special edition" glasses for this one in theaters like the green ones from the first one?
My Home Theater Gallery | My FS/FT/WANT Thread!
Sony Bravia 55HX800 3D
Pioneer Elite VSX-52
Definitive Technology BP-8060 (x2)
Definitive Technology CS-8060
Definitive Technology SM-55 (x2)
Definitive Technology SR-8040P (x2)
PS3
Old 12-13-2013, 09:42 PM   #22
Expert Member

Jun 2011
Orlando, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sabbath View Post
Anyone know if there are "special edition" glasses for this one in theaters like the green ones from the first one?
I don't know about in theaters but you can get these from BestBuy, they come with $11 movie cash also
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpa...bit+3D+glasses
Old 12-13-2013, 09:49 PM   #23

Oct 2011
St. Louis

I went and watched this today, I really enjoyed it. The story and acting was great. I really enjoyed the 3D in this as well. There are quite a few scenes that really stand out with 3D. 3D is pretty good through out the movie.

Also had a 3D trailer for the new 300 movie, that looks pretty stunning! No 47 Ronin 3D trailer though.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:04 PM   #24

Aug 2007
Utah

The 3D in the first Hobbit was great and this one is even better. Even has some pop THE BEES!

3D trailer i saw was The Amazing Spider-Man 2 much stronger 3D this time at least what the trailer showed.
3DTV■Samsung (PN51F8500AF)
Player■Sony (BDP-S590)
AVR■Yamaha (RX-V475)
Speakers■Pioneer BS22□C22
Sub■SVS (PB-1000)
Game■PS4□PS3 Slim 120gb□Xbox One

Last edited by Spaulding; 12-13-2013 at 10:06 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:31 PM   #25
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogofwar View Post
I went and watched this today, I really enjoyed it. The story and acting was great. I really enjoyed the 3D in this as well. There are quite a few scenes that really stand out with 3D. 3D is pretty good through out the movie.

Also had a 3D trailer for the new 300 movie, that looks pretty stunning! No 47 Ronin 3D trailer though.
Thanks for the news on 300's 3D. Cool.
Glad you enjoyed Hobbit II and the 3D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaulding View Post
The 3D in the first Hobbit was great and this one is even better. Even has some pop THE BEES!

3D trailer i saw was The Amazing Spider-Man 2 much stronger 3D this time at least what the trailer showed.
Those bees looked good, yes. Yeah, ASM2's 3D is what I was hoping for. Much better 3D layering for the dialog shots.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:58 PM   #26
Power Member

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sabbath View Post
Some theaters are giving out special-edition glasses for the RealD 3D showing. The plastic cover rap has a red dragon on it with "The Hobbit The Desolation of Smaug printed. The glasses are the standard style, but the color is dark grey with realD 3D printed on the left temple arm and The Hobbit the Desolation of Smaug printed on the right temple arm.
Avatar: "The Annunciation to the Shepherds" Painting by Nicolas Berchem (1680-1683)
BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection
Old 12-13-2013, 11:00 PM   #27

Dec 2012

Saw this at midnight release Thursday. Never seen the theater this packed with people! Had 3 guys in line behind me with huge dwarf bears lol!

Awesome movie and I'll be going back for sure on this one. Spider Man 3D preview was the craziest preview I've ever seen. It's like the studio producers got on this forum and read "they should put more pop outs in movies" thread. Every shot is so strong and layered that the background of each scene was completely out of focus!

HFR was cool and made fast motion scenes perfectly watchable.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:28 PM   #28

Jul 2013
Northern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivouhr View Post
Sleeping Beauty Witch 3D (Forget the title)
That would be Maleficent, IMHO one of the best names for a villain ever. Just drips with evil.
Have fun storming the castle!
WTB: Clash of the Titans 3D lenticular slipcover.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:45 AM   #29
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
Some theaters are giving out special-edition glasses for the RealD 3D showing. The plastic cover rap has a red dragon on it with "The Hobbit The Desolation of Smaug printed. The glasses are the standard style, but the color is dark grey with realD 3D printed on the left temple arm and The Hobbit the Desolation of Smaug printed on the right temple arm.
I missed out on these, but thankfully got the first dark green Hobbit Part I 3D glasses last year. Thanks for the news. Did you get a pair of these glasses, Paul?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippet View Post
Saw this at midnight release Thursday. Never seen the theater this packed with people! Had 3 guys in line behind me with huge dwarf bears lol!

Awesome movie and I'll be going back for sure on this one. Spider Man 3D preview was the craziest preview I've ever seen. It's like the studio producers got on this forum and read "they should put more pop outs in movies" thread. Every shot is so strong and layered that the background of each scene was completely out of focus!

HFR was cool and made fast motion scenes perfectly watchable.
Yeah, that Amazing Spider Man 2 3D conversion is looking great, in theaters May 2013.
What was your favorite scene in Hobbit 2 for the 3D?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatscifiguy View Post
That would be Maleficent, IMHO one of the best names for a villain ever. Just drips with evil.
That's it, thanks thatscifiguy. 'Mal' meaning bad or evil. It looks promising and she's hopefully more sinister than the witch from Oz Great and Powerful.

The gold dragon from Beowulf 3D reminds me of Smaug in Hobbit Part 2.

Here's what to expect in the third Hobbit:
[Show spoiler]The war over the gold as the Dwarves refuse to part with it after Smaug's defeat in part III.

Legolas was kicking tons of Orc @ss along with Tamriel in this one. They were the main action stars here. Agree, disagree?

Slight Spoiler:
I really enjoyed the river scene when Legolas jumps on the heads of the dwarves.
Old 12-14-2013, 01:12 AM   #30
Power Member

Jul 2007

Quote:
I missed out on these, but thankfully got the first dark green Hobbit Part I 3D glasses last year. Thanks for the news. Did you get a pair of these glasses, Paul?
Yes, unexpected and appreciated.
Avatar: "The Annunciation to the Shepherds" Painting by Nicolas Berchem (1680-1683)
Old 12-14-2013, 01:48 AM   #31
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
USA
Cool

Quote:
Yes, unexpected and appreciated.
Cool, you lucked out. How did you like the 3D Paul? Would you agree it is on par with the 3D of Part I Hobbit, or would you say it's better?
Old 12-14-2013, 03:08 PM   #32
Power Member

Jul 2007

Quote:
Cool, you lucked out. How did you like the 3D Paul? Would you agree it is on par with the 3D of Part I Hobbit, or would you say it's better?
My first 3D showing was in HFR 48 and IMO, the 3D is in the same range as Part I with medium moments having many mild scenes and leaving me wanting stronger real-world depth. Getting used to the soap-opera look of HFR, and supporting it for the upgrade, but I can hardly wait to see the movie again in 3D 24fps, getting lost in the moment enjoying the movie in an accustomed fantasy dream-like state.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:47 PM   #33
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008

The bees are incredible in IMAX 3D HFR !!

I could almost smell an orc's head as it whizzed by my left ear.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:40 AM   #34
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
My first 3D showing was in HFR 48 and IMO, the 3D is in the same range as Part I with medium moments having many mild scenes and leaving me wanting stronger real-world depth. Getting used to the soap-opera look of HFR, and supporting it for the upgrade, but I can hardly wait to see the movie again in 3D 24fps, getting lost in the moment enjoying the movie in an accustomed fantasy dream-like state.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raygendreau View Post
The bees are incredible in IMAX 3D HFR !!

I could almost smell an orc's head as it whizzed by my left ear.
Yeah, Imax definitely has a way of amping up the 3D. Every Imax 3D movie I saw that normally has medium 3D, makes it seem nearly like watching strong 3D, likely due to the enormous screen filling up all of your sight if you sit closer.

Except for Tron Legacy's 3D, which had mild layering.

Last edited by Zivouhr; 12-15-2013 at 02:46 AM.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:37 AM   #35
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008

Quote:
Agreed.

Yeah, Imax definitely has a way of amping up the 3D. Every Imax 3D movie I saw that normally has medium 3D, makes it seem nearly like watching strong 3D, likely due to the enormous screen filling up all of your sight if you sit closer.

Except for Tron Legacy's 3D, which had mild layering.
I'm referring to the difference between IMAX 3D and IMAX 3D HFR. The first Hobbit movie was shown in IMAX 3D before the theater was upgraded to HFR. I saw The Desolation of Smaug in IMAX 3D HFR. It was an incredible difference in the level of viewing comfort. Absolutely no judder in fast pans.

It is unfortunate that there are so few IMAX theaters across the country that are equipped to show HFR.

http://www.imax.com/community/blog/p...imax-theatres/

Last edited by raygendreau; 12-15-2013 at 04:42 AM.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:54 AM   #36
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
USA
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by raygendreau View Post
I'm referring to the difference between IMAX 3D and IMAX 3D HFR. The first Hobbit movie was shown in IMAX 3D before the theater was upgraded to HFR. I saw The Desolation of Smaug in IMAX 3D HFR. It was an incredible difference in the level of viewing comfort. Absolutely no judder in fast pans.

It is unfortunate that there are so few IMAX theaters across the country that are equipped to show HFR.

http://www.imax.com/community/blog/p...imax-theatres/
Cinemark, I saw Hobbit I in HFR Imax 3D, looked awesome and the 3D appeared actually stronger in the theater than at home compared to all of my other 3D movie experiences.

The HFR of 48 fps costs a lot more to produce these days, considering all of the extra CGI necessary to render for the budgets. I'll be interested to see how it catches on over the next few years with Avatar 2 and 3 on the way.

I like it, though I don't mind 24 fps as mentioned earlier. Both can exist together IMO without one having to take over the other.

You are 100% right about the choppiness being a thing of the past with HFR.
If we pan across a scene at 12 fps, then 24, then 48, the differences are each noticeable, 48 being the smoothest.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:24 AM   #37
Expert Member

Jun 2010
CA

Had to see the movie twice this weekend after my super disappointing first viewing in Dolby Atmos and HFR 3D in a movie theater that had a messed up projector problem that completely washed out the color and made the whole film look like sepia tone ugh Completely took me out of the movie and made me not able to fully notice or enjoy Dolby Atmos for the first time.

Watched the movie a second time tonight though and even though my first viewing was crappy, I still loved the movie and the HFR 3D is just stunning to me, even more in this movie considering how big of a fan I became of HFR when viewing the first installment in the format last year.

The action, cinematography, pacing, and FREAKING SMAUG THE "STUPENDOUS" were flat out jaw dropping. I can't begin to express how flat out amazed and awe struck I was with Smaug visually and from a performance stand point by Benedict Cumberbatch! Smaug just oozes cool and malice unlike anything I've seen in a long long time! Just stunning!

Also got absolutely kick*** 3d trailers for Amazing Spider-Man 2 and 300: Rise of an Empire. Both films look absolutely incredible in 3d have me even more hyped to see them next year!!!
Old 12-15-2013, 08:32 PM   #38
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2011
Worcester, UK

Just saw this in IMAX 3D but not HFR. I thought the movie was fantastic, a real thrill ride with great VFX and action and lovely 3D. It did feel a tad stretched, as very little happens story wise in the second half, but when the action and suspense is as good as this, you don't mind. Cracking movie. Loved the barrel escape sequence and all of the Smaug action.
Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

3D FAN

Instagram: levcore

Steelbooks Looking to trade (unsealed): Green Lantern HMV Exclusive, Chronicle Play Exclusive, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 1, Enders Game HMV Exclusive.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:18 PM   #39
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2009

I saw this yesterday and loved it. When i handed my ticket to the ticket guy he didnt give me glasses so i asked for some and he said "I don't think you need glasses for this" and then took out a piece of paper and looked at it and then give me glasses. I think i would know that im seeing a 3D movie.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:28 AM   #40
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
USA
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseeley View Post
Had to see the movie twice this weekend after my super disappointing first viewing in Dolby Atmos and HFR 3D in a movie theater that had a messed up projector problem that completely washed out the color and made the whole film look like sepia tone ugh Completely took me out of the movie and made me not able to fully notice or enjoy Dolby Atmos for the first time.

Watched the movie a second time tonight though and even though my first viewing was crappy, I still loved the movie and the HFR 3D is just stunning to me, even more in this movie considering how big of a fan I became of HFR when viewing the first installment in the format last year.

The action, cinematography, pacing, and FREAKING SMAUG THE "STUPENDOUS" were flat out jaw dropping. I can't begin to express how flat out amazed and awe struck I was with Smaug visually and from a performance stand point by Benedict Cumberbatch! Smaug just oozes cool and malice unlike anything I've seen in a long long time! Just stunning!

Also got absolutely kick*** 3d trailers for Amazing Spider-Man 2 and 300: Rise of an Empire. Both films look absolutely incredible in 3d have me even more hyped to see them next year!!!
Glad you enjoyed it Mseeley. Did you see the Imax 3D HFR? And yes, sorry to hear about that first theater.
You are lucky to have seen the 3D 300 2 preview.

Quote:
Originally Posted by levcore View Post
Just saw this in IMAX 3D but not HFR. I thought the movie was fantastic, a real thrill ride with great VFX and action and lovely 3D. It did feel a tad stretched, as very little happens story wise in the second half, but when the action and suspense is as good as this, you don't mind. Cracking movie. Loved the barrel escape sequence and all of the Smaug action.
Yes, the story was mainly a transition compared to the first, but look forward to how they handle the 3rd. Will check this one out one more time in theaters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic View Post
I saw this yesterday and loved it. When i handed my ticket to the ticket guy he didnt give me glasses so i asked for some and he said "I don't think you need glasses for this" and then took out a piece of paper and looked at it and then give me glasses. I think i would know that im seeing a 3D movie.
Good thing the guy gave you the glasses or it would be a blurry viewing experience no thanks to him without them. Glad you enjoyed it.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies