Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$99.99
11 hrs ago
Let's Be Cops (Blu-ray)
$9.96
4 hrs ago
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey (Blu-ray)
$19.99

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.96
17 hrs ago
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99

The Beyond (Blu-ray)
$24.99
59 min ago
The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.99

Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$18.99

Homeland: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

True Detective (Blu-ray)
$24.99

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 01-04-2014, 05:11 PM   #141

Jan 2013

Any news on extras?

I don't mind paying a super high price as long as its not barebones or simply rehashing previous extras.

The UK disc was a bit dodgy on the PQ but at least it had some great new extras.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:09 PM   #142
Power Member

Nov 2008
Western Kentucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchallenge View Post
Any news on extras?

I don't mind paying a super high price as long as its not barebones or simply rehashing previous extras.

The UK disc was a bit dodgy on the PQ but at least it had some great new extras.
It's presumed that this will be released towards the end of 2014 at the absolute earliest. We likely won't have news about that for some time.
#1 WEE MAN FAN
http://mtrodaba2468.dvdaf.com
1000 Blu-Rays as of 11/09/13: John Cassavetes: Five Films: Criterion Collection
1500 Blu-Rays as of 11/17/14: The Complete Jacques Tati: Criterion Collection
Old 01-04-2014, 06:11 PM   #143
Banned

Aug 2011

Synapse should give this to Lowry for a 4K scan and restoration.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:27 PM   #144
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagysaudio View Post
They're working with Technicolor on the restoration
Old 01-04-2014, 09:01 PM   #145
Banned

Aug 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yami View Post
They're working with Technicolor on the restoration
I like Lowry better...
Old 01-04-2014, 09:21 PM   #146
Expert Member

Sep 2012
Sydney Australia

LOL. Technicolor is probably the reason that the colours are so blown out. They like to exaggerate colour.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:21 PM   #147
Expert Member

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagysaudio View Post
Screw it, why not kick the price up to $60 a disc?

Technicolor Rome is surely more than capable of creating a perfect 2K scan for SUSPIRIA. Where it all went wrong last time was the over-zealous color grading (approved by the original DP), which Synapse is sure to avoid.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:00 AM   #148

Mar 2013

I cant wait for this to come out. I just couldnt pull the trigger on Demons but will have no such problem with this one.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:18 AM   #149
Special Member

May 2010

looooong overdue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbinks View Post
Is a 2+ year wait in the cards for Suspiria? I doubt it. Suspiria probably became their top priority the moment the ink was put to paper, but I still wouldn't bet on it being ready this time next year.
They have to be aiming for a release date in the early fall. Not that this needs to rushed, as I'd prefer right over rushed, but it doesn't hurt to time a classic horror movie's home video release around Halloween.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw89 View Post
I'm guaranteeing a $50 price range at the very minimum
Damn. I hope you're wrong.
Then again, it's not uncommon for new/new-catalog releases to have a high introductory price. I may wait for a more reasonable price.
Do Synapse films go on sale in any sort of predictable cycle like Criterion?
Okay... show me.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:15 PM   #150

Apr 2011
NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateralspin View Post
LOL. Technicolor is probably the reason that the colours are so blown out. They like to exaggerate colour.
It only makes sense that they go to Technicolor - the film was one of the last to use the famous 3 strip Technicolor processes. At the time of the film's preproduction Argento found original Technicolor film stock (can't remember if it was) in Hong Kong or China. It was this find that inspired him to film it the way he did. The brilliant color scheme was enhanced by this stock famous for the Wizard of Oz, Gone with the Wind and other Golden Age of Hollywood films from the late 30's into the 40's.
By today's point of view it may seem oversaturated by then again, now we have an entire generation that have been brought up with truly horrid and bad cinematography with films tinted green, blue or desaturated - none of which are true to life yet their director's claim that reasoning for their dirty grungy "style". (maybe it's the director's who have vision problems?)
In either case, true Technicolor was developed not only to have a rich color palette but it also captured incredible detail in hair, costumes (material) and other textures. It was for it's day the Hi-Def of film.
It is better that Technicolor is used for consultation rather some younger and ignorant techno dope who might not have a true understand how the film should look and completely ruin the color palette and gorgeous lighting, set design and cinematography.
Year ago I worked on the Anchor Bay release and for it's day and within the limits and lack of Hi-Def technology visually I was very happy with the film. (Sound wise there may have been issues) ... in all the release, especially the limited 3 disc one is still considered a collectible. I look forward to this new one in hope it will top all previous releases.
- Scott B.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:09 PM   #151
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youre My Boy Blu! View Post
looooong overdue.

They have to be aiming for a release date in the early fall. Not that this needs to rushed, as I'd prefer right over rushed, but it doesn't hurt to time a classic horror movie's home video release around Halloween.

Then again, it's not uncommon for new/new-catalog releases to have a high introductory price. I may wait for a more reasonable price.
I wouldnt even bother speculating because he wont be working on it for a while. He has at least 4 or 5 other titles that he's working on first. He also publicly stated he wants to take his time with it -
Old 01-10-2014, 03:38 PM   #152
Expert Member

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youre My Boy Blu! View Post
We're all assuming this is going to be another "Limited Edition" sold exclusively through their website, similar to DEMONS/DEMONS 2. It might not be, but unless that release was a total flop, I can see a pricey web-only limited edition becoming the norm on the more expensive Euro Horror titles they'd otherwise skip due to licensing costs.

And I'm sorry, but there's no way in hell SUSPIRIA didn't cost more to license than both DEMONS films put together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditcin View Post
It only makes sense that they go to Technicolor - the film was one of the last to use the famous 3 strip Technicolor processes. At the time of the film's preproduction Argento found original Technicolor film stock (can't remember if it was) in Hong Kong or China. It was this find that inspired him to film it the way he did. The brilliant color scheme was enhanced by this stock famous for the Wizard of Oz, Gone with the Wind and other Golden Age of Hollywood films from the late 30's into the 40's...
SUSPIRIA was - supposedly, at the very least - printed using the three-color dye matrix, which has its own unique look, but it was actually shot using fairly typical 4-perf anamorphic color stock (Eastman 100T 5254). Even that was a luxury for an Italian production, though, as two-perf Techniscope was pretty much the norm otherwise. This has been confused over the years, I think in part because the Anchor Bay documentary about the film shows a Technicolor three-strip camera when discussing the filming. (Heck, I got confused a couple months back...)

Moreover, all US prints (and presumably other non-Italian releases) were typical Eastman prints - you can tell because they've faded with time. It's entirely possible that Italian prints were legit Technicolor dye prints, but to this day I've never seen evidence that the film "should" have the positively electric colors found on the Luciano Tovolo approved HD master we're all familiar with by now.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:27 PM   #153
Special Member

Dec 2010
Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentai View Post
Moreover, all US prints (and presumably other non-Italian releases) were typical Eastman prints - you can tell because they've faded with time. I
Are you sure about this? Because I have several times within the last few years read references to an old technicolor print that supposedly has been shown at some art-house cinemas.
Most wanted blu-ray upgrades: Kafka, The Limey, Suspiria (remaster), Castle of Blood, The Horrible Dr. Hichcock, Blood and Black Lace, Kill Baby Kill, L'avventura, Don't Look Now (remaster), The Changeling (1980), Ringu, Ju-on, Miracle Mile, The Honeymoon Killers, Man Bites Dog, Cannibal Holocaust, Creature (The Titan Find), Irrèversible, The Fearless Vampire Killers, The Black Hole, The Sentinel (1979), Carnival of Souls, Cat People (1942), I walked with a Zombie, Don't Go in the House.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:08 PM   #154

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Thomsen View Post
Are you sure about this? Because I have several times within the last few years read references to an old technicolor print that supposedly has been shown at some art-house cinemas.
Yes, it's a British Technicolor print that's been screening the last several years. I saw it myself. Beautiful. Recently, it was in NY again at MoMI.
"Carpenter is practically a God when it comes to movie making. His movies are on an entirely different level." - nagysaudio

"What an arrogant piece of shit." - John Carpenter (about himself)
Old 02-01-2014, 09:21 PM   #155

Apr 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakihara View Post
I usually am a big spender and I can definitely afford to get the Demons SB and a potential $40 and over Suspiria BD, but it's the principle of the thing...and setting priorities in a tough financial climate. Again, I'm sure I'll be there to pre-order this, but I might wince doing so!
Im curious of what the principle is. Is there more sense in Synapse losing money they invested in this to drive the consumer price down? Its math. The cost to profit ratio is not the same as other bigger studios or distribution companies. They pretty much have to charge these prices to stay afloat because of how much they are investing into the title. I feel like this is going to be a discussion that will never end, because too many people refuse to understand the facts and decide to just look at the price tag and make an assumption about the business model.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:41 PM   #156
Expert Member

Apr 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommynorcal View Post
Im curious of what the principle is. Is there more sense in Synapse losing money they invested in this to drive the consumer price down? Its math. The cost to profit ratio is not the same as other bigger studios or distribution companies. They pretty much have to charge these prices to stay afloat because of how much they are investing into the title. I feel like this is going to be a discussion that will never end, because too many people refuse to understand the facts and decide to just look at the price tag and make an assumption about the business model.
No man, you're reading me completely wrong. I do understand the business model. I'm only focusing on my end, MY principles on how to spend my money, not how businesses run things. They do what they do, but it's up to me to either buy in or not. I've explained that clearly in the past, especially to those who purchased the Demons steelies which I opted not to do in the end. But it's cool that those who did, feel they got their money's worth. I just looked at the price tag and made an assumption about what's best for me to do...not about the business model.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:39 PM   #157

Sep 2012
Santa Barbara, California

Quote:
No man, you're reading me completely wrong. I do understand the business model. I'm only focusing on my end, MY principles on how to spend my money, not how businesses run things. They do what they do, but it's up to me to either buy in or not. I've explained that clearly in the past, especially to those who purchased the Demons steelies which I opted not to do in the end. But it's cool that those who did, feel they got their money's worth. I just looked at the price tag and made an assumption about what's best for me to do...not about the business model.
I'm with you man. Even though Demons and Demons 2 are two of my favorite horror films ever it was difficult to fork over near $100. I have kids to feed lol But in the end I couldn't resist since Don and company did a fantastic job with them and hopefully Suspiria will be great as well.

To me it comes down to quality. If a release is packed with extras plus great transfer/audio and packaging to boot, I think a small label company like Synapse should be able to charge premium prices. The only thing that bugged me about the Demon releases was the limited quantity. I pray Suspiria is not a 3000 limit release. I could just see the feeding frenzy (...cough, scalpers, cough...) when the pre order is announced.
When I was a very small boy/
Very small boys talked to me/
Now that we've grown up together/
They're all taking drugs with me/
Old 02-02-2014, 12:14 AM   #158

Apr 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Quote:
My bad, brotha. I must still have a bad taste in my mouth after reading posts from other users who alluded to Synapse ripping people off, etc. I do hope in the end the price tag isn't too big, but for a definitive release of Suspiria, I am all in!
Old 02-02-2014, 12:15 AM   #159

Apr 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroj23 View Post
I'm with you man. Even though Demons and Demons 2 are two of my favorite horror films ever it was difficult to fork over near $100. I have kids to feed lol But in the end I couldn't resist since Don and company did a fantastic job with them and hopefully Suspiria will be great as well.

To me it comes down to quality. If a release is packed with extras plus great transfer/audio and packaging to boot, I think a small label company like Synapse should be able to charge premium prices. The only thing that bugged me about the Demon releases was the limited quantity. I pray Suspiria is not a 3000 limit release. I could just see the feeding frenzy (...cough, scalpers, cough...) when the pre order is announced.
I suspect a much wider standard edition release of this with maybe a limited run of steels for the collectors. Thankfully all signs point to that seeing as this may be the most anticipated horror release on blu
Old 02-02-2014, 12:38 AM   #160

Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw89 View Post
I'm guaranteeing a $50 price range at the very minimum
Absolutely no chance dude. Synapse has only ever done that with Demons, why are so many people here so certain that a one time experiment now represents their permanent business model? At best there may be some limited edition alongside a normal release but there's no way they would invest money into a completely new transfer if they didn't intend on wide distribution.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America