COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Dexter: The Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Poirot: The Complete Cases Collection (Blu-ray)
$198.49
Orange Is the New Black: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Draft Day (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Transformers Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.24
Sleepaway Camp (Blu-ray)
$15.99
Eternal Damn Nation (Blu-ray)
$15.25
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Ray Donovan: Season One (Blu-ray)
$24.49
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$91.99
Cold in July (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Slumber Party Massacre (Blu-ray)
$13.99
Titanic 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.49
The Wind Will Carry Us (Blu-ray)
$19.49
CSI: Crime Scene Investigation: The Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
$34.33
Afflicted (Blu-ray)
$12.49
Evilspeak (Blu-ray)
$13.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 01-11-2014, 03:28 PM   #2581
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

I could live with the suit (although for a "super soldier", not Robo), but that "beanie cap" on top ...
You can only have too much ammo if you're on fire or swimming.

Remember, folks : it's only 88 days until Black Friday!!!

Digital Copies Available ($1-$3 or Best Offer). PM Me For List.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:38 PM   #2582
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2012
Georgia

This new Robocop Blu-ray is a thing of beauty. The transfer looks outstanding to me.

I watched the movie last night, and am now going through some of the extras while I post. There's not much of a point writing a long-winded review, because this film does not need any defense, but I expect that most of you will be just as impressed by this remaster as I am.

This new Robocop transfer looks like Robocop, meaning that the transfer does justice to the intended look of the film in 1987 and that it does not try to over-correct with a present-day sheen. This Blu-ray hits the right notes.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:41 PM   #2583

Jan 2010
New York City

so everyone seems to agree that the Robocop remaster is very good...not Terminator remaster good but better then Halloween...better then Jaws?
Old 01-11-2014, 03:54 PM   #2584
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2012
Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
so everyone seems to agree that the Robocop remaster is very good...not Terminator remaster good but better then Halloween...better then Jaws?
I think that the most recent Blu-rays of all of the above are home runs and that the respective remasters bring out the best in each one. I'm not an extreme videophile, but these remasters all accentuate original theatrical looks of the movies to my eyes. As such, I cannot really compare them, because I'd give five-star picture quality reviews to all of them.

The natural grain in Robocop indicative of the late 1980s filming is intact, but the movie is simply better looking than I've ever seen it before.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:05 PM   #2585
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2009

The new suit just looks beyond awful. It looks like a rubber suit, not mechanical at all. I can't believe they got Keaton and Oldman in this crap.

Anyway, my BB was sold out of the new disc.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:05 PM   #2586

Sep 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BouCoupDinkyDau View Post
The problem with a lot of remakes is the remakers often do not understand what made the originals good to begin with. This was the problem with Total Recall (it had none of Paul's sense of fun or satire), or Psycho (which had none of Hitchcock's tension).

Remakers often miss the point.
I think that's also the problem with most sequels. They misunderstand the smaller things that made the film work and just repeat the big obvious stuff from the original.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:06 PM   #2587

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ill_Be_Back View Post
That suit looks ridiculous.
That's my biggest problem with it - it looks like a suit instead of a machine. Even the character in the trailer has to be corrected that, "it's not a suit".
Old 01-11-2014, 05:19 PM   #2588

Dec 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultlife2013 View Post
Change isn't bad, embrace change.
Get real. You and everyone else with a decent set of eyes and taste knows that the original theatrical poster blows this half-arsed photoshop cover garbage out of the water.

Is change good? Yes. It isn't, however, absolutely so.

But I respect your right to embrace the subsequently crap-tastic RoboCop covers that they've been steadily churning out since the original release.
*Lover of original box/cover art
*Wanted: Back To The Future (single) / Fright Night (1985)
Old 01-11-2014, 05:32 PM   #2589

Jun 2010

Quote:
Is that Robin ?
Old 01-11-2014, 05:44 PM   #2590

Oct 2013
Brooklyn NY

This is a video I made that I asked my brother to post on his channel. The real Robocop isn't excited about this remake either, and the screen-cap should say it all, lol.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:56 PM   #2591
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2008
Beautiful Pacific Northwest

Quote:
better than JAWS? Were there any complaints on that release? It's my favorite movie of all time and I thought that was an incredible release in regards to transfer and PQ...

from what I'm hearing ROBOCOP is nowhere near that quality with this remaster....
Old 01-11-2014, 05:57 PM   #2592
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2008
Beautiful Pacific Northwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Owl View Post
This new Robocop Blu-ray is a thing of beauty. The transfer looks outstanding to me.

I watched the movie last night, and am now going through some of the extras while I post. There's not much of a point writing a long-winded review, because this film does not need any defense, but I expect that most of you will be just as impressed by this remaster as I am.

This new Robocop transfer looks like Robocop, meaning that the transfer does justice to the intended look of the film in 1987 and that it does not try to over-correct with a present-day sheen. This Blu-ray hits the right notes.
thanks for the review!!! sounds promising...
Old 01-11-2014, 05:58 PM   #2593

Dec 2011

Quote:
The Jaws transfer is superior to the new Robocop Blu-ray remaster. Doesn't have the slightly blown out highlights or very mild black crush in the dark scenes like the Robo-remaster has. It also helps that Jaws was filmed mostly in outdoors in daylight and generally featured better cinematography. Don't get me wrong, I think the Robocop remaster looks great, but it doesn't equal the quality of the Jaws transfer.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:58 PM   #2594

Nov 2009

Robocop remake... meh. It'll be the same deal as the Total Recall remake. Slight public interest and then it will fade away into oblivion. Meanwhile people will be wondering if we'll get a 4k transfer of the original (not that I feel we need it as the latest remaster is outstanding, but it's to make my point).

None of these 80's remakes will ever hit the mark because simply put, it's not the eighties. These movies are a product of their time. The vision of the future was a lot more imaginative and cooler then modern days vision of the future for one. The directors, producers, make up artists, special effects houses, everyone that worked on these films just seemed to "have something" that modern days film makers don't (imagination IMO).

These "pioneers" of film if you will created these amazing movies with pure imagination and passion and barely if any CGI to assist them. Even ILM had to come up with some very imaginative ways of creating special effects. Yet today's technology can easily do all the special effects in CGI, and notice that we aren't getting as many amazing movies as we used to. The new stuff just doesn't hold up as well.

I mean, look at that new suit. Did ANYONE in production even look at that damn thing as they were constructing it? I'd laugh my ass off if I saw someone walk in wearing that thing. Simply terrible.
Panasonic Viera TC-P55VT60
Onkyo TX-NR609 7.1 | Speakers: (C) Infinity PC351, (FL/FR) Infinity P363's, (Rears) Infinity P163's
Old 01-11-2014, 06:00 PM   #2595

Jan 2013
truth or consequences, NM

The motorcycle looks kinda cool :P reminds me of them old robocop figures.
the man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
Old 01-11-2014, 06:04 PM   #2596
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKORIS View Post
better than JAWS? Were there any complaints on that release? It's my favorite movie of all time and I thought that was an incredible release in regards to transfer and PQ...
from what I'm hearing ROBOCOP is nowhere near that quality with this remaster....
Maybe you should comment after you watch it? Or do you really want to depend on what you're "hearing"?

Old 01-11-2014, 06:21 PM   #2597
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2007
Bronx, New York
Send a message via AIM to saprano

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasRetroKid View Post
Robocop remake... meh. It'll be the same deal as the Total Recall remake. Slight public interest and then it will fade away into oblivion. Meanwhile people will be wondering if we'll get a 4k transfer of the original (not that I feel we need it as the latest remaster is outstanding, but it's to make my point).

None of these 80's remakes will ever hit the mark because simply put, it's not the eighties. These movies are a product of their time. The vision of the future was a lot more imaginative and cooler then modern days vision of the future for one. The directors, producers, make up artists, special effects houses, everyone that worked on these films just seemed to "have something" that modern days film makers don't (imagination IMO).

These "pioneers" of film if you will created these amazing movies with pure imagination and passion and barely if any CGI to assist them. Even ILM had to come up with some very imaginative ways of creating special effects. Yet today's technology can easily do all the special effects in CGI, and notice that we aren't getting as many amazing movies as we used to. The new stuff just doesn't hold up as well.

I mean, look at that new suit. Did ANYONE in production even look at that damn thing as they were constructing it? I'd laugh my ass off if I saw someone walk in wearing that thing. Simply terrible.
Excellent post. I feel the same way.

I didn't even finish watching the trailer for the remake. I shut it off half way through.
Pioneer Kuro 151FD|Samung 40"
Pioneer Elite SC-37|Onkyo 705
Def Tech speakers/Def Tech Sub
Oppo BDP-103|PS3 phat 60gig|PS3 slim120gig|APC H15
New Addition -SVS SB13 Ultra
Old 01-11-2014, 06:35 PM   #2598

Jan 2010
New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasRetroKid View Post
The directors, producers, make up artists, special effects houses, everyone that worked on these films just seemed to "have something" that modern days film makers don't (imagination IMO).

today's director's etc still have plenty of imagination...it's just that technology has advanced to a point where they can make it a reality...plus a lot of the same director's and producers are around today that were around back when Robocop was made (Spielberg, Cameron etc) so unless they lost their creativity in the last 20 years then maybe it's that audiences tastes have changed moreso then filmmakers

people today love CGI and effects versus story so that's what writers cater to...Avatar is a perfect example

as far as the new Robocop suit?...are you saying you wouldn't 'laugh your ass off' if someone walked in wearing the old/classic suit?...if anything the new one looks more sleek and modern to account for the modern times
Old 01-11-2014, 06:35 PM   #2599
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post
Excellent post. I feel the same way.
I didn't even finish watching the trailer for the remake. I shut it off half way through.
Wow, that's kinda the definition of FAIL if you can't get thru a, what, 2 minute trailer?

Say, soprano, is the Bronx still standing after today's wack MLB decision? Riots? Parades? Effigies?

Old 01-11-2014, 06:38 PM   #2600
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2012
Georgia

My pulse is not quickened by the idea of a Robocop remake, but I do have $7.50 of movie money that came with the new Blu-ray, and that'll get me a free showing for a matinee at the theater down the street. At the very least, it'll be a fun way to check out special effects on a big screen for free. I'm good for that.

This $7.99 Blu-ray pays for itself pretty quickly, in the grand scheme of things.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America