Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
The Addams Family (Blu-ray)
$8.69
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Willow (Blu-ray)
$10.01
Van Damme 5-Movie Action Pack (Blu-ray)
$45.99
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
Begin Again (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Sherlock: The Complete Seasons 1-3 (Blu-ray)
$136.29
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.92
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Blu-ray)
$10.39
My Darling Clementine (Blu-ray)
$25.75
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 02-03-2014, 10:36 PM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
North Carolina
USA The Final Terror (1983) - Scream Factory - Summer / July 2014

THE FINAL TERROR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scream Factory
**EXTRA-EXCITING SURPRISE TITLE ANNOUNCEMENT!**

Our 2014 "Summer of Fear" release schedule is about to get even better with the following title reveal--one which we're sure will please so many of you that have requested it. The long-lost 1983 slasher film THE FINAL TERROR is coming to Blu-ray & DVD for the first time ever!

As some of you already know, this killer-in-the-woods entry stars an eclectic group of stars including Rachel Ward (The Thorn Birds, Night School), Daryl Hannah (Splash, Blade Runner), Adrian Zmed (Grease 2, Bachelor Party, TJ Hooker) and Joe Pantoliano (The Sopranos).

We're aiming for a July release. No details on extras to report at this time but the key art you see here - adapted from the original theatrical key art - is final (no pun intended).

Happy Monday!
Old 02-03-2014, 11:30 PM   #2

Apr 2013

Cliff stated on Facebook that the original film elements are gone. He stated what they are left with is a print in excellent condition.

I can't wait for this release! I'm still in shock from the realization that this is coming out on Blu Ray.
My Most Wanted Blu Ray announcements: 1) Fright (1971) 2) Superstition 3) Blood Rage 4) Sleepaway Camp 2 5) The Prey 6) Blood Beach 7) The Mutilator 8) Screams of a Winter Night 9) Silent Madness 10) Alone in the Dark-1982 11) The Legend of Boggy Creek 12) Funeral Home 13) Next of Kin 1982 14) Savage Weekend 15) Hell Night
*List not in ordinal rank

Last edited by Camp_Crystal_Lake; 02-03-2014 at 11:41 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:39 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
Brooklyn, NY

I'm going to break out in sweats leading up to the release date for this. Will probably lose some sleep. Once this is in my hands everything else will just be icing on the cake. I'm going to stop short of saying I won't need anything else after this
Selling Shout Factory BD of Halloween II on Amazon with the Universal disc that includes Terror In the Aisles if anyone is interested.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:46 PM   #4
Special Member

May 2011
Boulder City, Nevada

Holy shit man! I cant wait, I always liked this movie and always wanted it on DVD but on BD even better
Old 02-04-2014, 12:00 AM   #5
Shout Factory Insider

Jul 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by cine74 View Post
I'm going to break out in sweats leading up to the release date for this. Will probably lose some sleep. Once this is in my hands everything else will just be icing on the cake. I'm going to stop short of saying I won't need anything else after this
Wow.... I'm taking the rest of the year off
Old 02-04-2014, 12:04 AM   #6

Apr 2013
DFW

I've never seen this. What movie is comparable?
Most wanted on Blu-Ray: Panic Room, Phantasm, and Dawn of the Dead (reprint or new scan).

'When you're pushed, killing's as easy as breathing'- John Rambo
Old 02-04-2014, 12:07 AM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac View Post
Holy crap. The great pumpkin returns!
Old 02-04-2014, 12:11 AM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
Brooklyn, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac View Post
Oh, no sir, I'm talking about Hollywood studio stuff. The Abyss is a holy grail for me and I'm dying to have it on BD but I'm actually really excited about Final Terror (and Hellhole) - more so than for The Abyss or any other studio release. I have purchased most of Shout's releases and will keep doing so! Thanks for contributing to the awesomeness of Shout Factory!

How about The Earthling?
Selling Shout Factory BD of Halloween II on Amazon with the Universal disc that includes Terror In the Aisles if anyone is interested.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:19 AM   #9
Special Member

Nov 2008
In the Home Theater

Great little slasher that is very well directed by Andrew Davis who would later go on to helm The Fugitive with Harrison Ford.

One of those titles I did not expect because of obscurity, but most welcome!
Old 02-04-2014, 08:06 AM   #10

Jan 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod_inf View Post
Just Before Dawn (1981)

Not as good as Just Before Dawn, but still an amazing 80s backwoods slasher. I am stoked!!
Old 02-04-2014, 09:42 AM   #11
Expert Member

Oct 2010
Surrounded by Water

Gotta love that artwork!
Old 02-04-2014, 10:00 AM   #12

Jul 2013

Great news. This was one of those flicks that I would catch partly the way through on a Saturday afternoon in the 80s on one of those Saturday Shocker/Thriller double feature shows and not know the tittle for years after. I've always really enjoyed this movie.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:43 PM   #13

Jul 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod_inf View Post
Just Before Dawn and They Prey.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:09 PM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
Brooklyn, NY

I find THE FINAL TERROR to be incomparable to any other slasher film, to be honest. Just Before Dawn is great but it takes place mostly in broad daylight. It's closer in tone to Deliverance. Final Terror is dark, literally, in every sense of the word. It's a film that's dripping with dread and, like the title says, terror. The terrific soundtrack just adds to the atmosphere. This high-def transfer should be a revelation, blowing away all previous muddy transfers. I just hope the print they have is uncut. Better yet, I hope they find more footage.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:47 PM   #15
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2012
Albany, NY

Now it is announcements like these that get me really stoked!
Blu-Ray Wish List: The Asphalt Jungle (1950), Chopping Mall (1986), High Sierra (1941), Kill Baby... Kill! (1966), Dodsworth (1936), His Girl Friday (1940), Roman Holiday (1953), A Matter of Life and Death (1946), Fingers (1977), Twisted Nerve (1968), Knife In The Water (1962), Arabesque (1966), Blood Link (1982), The Inspector Betti Trilogy (75'-76'), Amuck (1972), Nightmare at Shadow Woods (1987), Mirage (1965), Waking The Dead (2000).
Old 02-04-2014, 03:27 PM   #16

Apr 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by cine74 View Post
I find THE FINAL TERROR to be incomparable to any other slasher film, to be honest. Just Before Dawn is great but it takes place mostly in broad daylight. It's closer in tone to Deliverance. Final Terror is dark, literally, in every sense of the word. It's a film that's dripping with dread and, like the title says, terror. The terrific soundtrack just adds to the atmosphere. This high-def transfer should be a revelation, blowing away all previous muddy transfers. I just hope the print they have is uncut. Better yet, I hope they find more footage.
I read on Facebook that the print they have is a theatrical print. They said that the original film elements were lost, and all they have to work with is a theatrical print that is in excellent condition. They debated doing the film since no original elements exist anymore, but said since they really like the film, they decided to go ahead and use the print. So, from my understanding, the version on the BD/DVD will be the theatrical version, because no original elements exist anymore.

I hope Scream gives us the Austrailian VHS poster on the back of the Theatrical cover they are using. I like both covers, but the Austrailian is more atmospheric, in my opinion.
My Most Wanted Blu Ray announcements: 1) Fright (1971) 2) Superstition 3) Blood Rage 4) Sleepaway Camp 2 5) The Prey 6) Blood Beach 7) The Mutilator 8) Screams of a Winter Night 9) Silent Madness 10) Alone in the Dark-1982 11) The Legend of Boggy Creek 12) Funeral Home 13) Next of Kin 1982 14) Savage Weekend 15) Hell Night

Last edited by Camp_Crystal_Lake; 02-04-2014 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:05 PM   #17

Apr 2013

What extras would you like to see on this release?

I'm hoping for a good commentary that covers more creative than technical aspects. I'm more interested in the creative aspects of the script process, instead of focusing on each scene technically. Would love to hear about the differences from the script drafts, and what ended up on camera.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:24 PM   #18
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp_Crystal_Lake View Post
What extras would you like to see on this release?

I'm hoping for a good commentary that covers more creative than technical aspects. I'm more interested in the creative aspects of the script process, instead of focusing on each scene technically. Would love to hear about the differences from the script drafts, and what ended up on camera.
Cast interviews! So many recognizable faces in this one: Daryl Hannah, Rachel Ward, Adrian Zmed, Joe Pantoliano, Lewis Smith, Mark Metcalf, Akosua Busia. Nearly everyone in the film went on to bigger things.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:00 PM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
Brooklyn, NY

Scream doesn't do isolated tracks but I'd love one for this film. The music is a huge part of the atmosphere. And would a commentary by Andy Davis be too much to ask? Should be an interesting listen because of all the soon-to-be famous faces. I'd love to see any deleted scenes of any.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:53 AM   #20

Apr 2013

I was thinking about Cliff's statement about this movie not having any original elements left, and how they decided to use a print in great condition , instead of walking away from the title. I wonder if this could be a template for other films with no original film elements?

I would love to see a BD of The Mutilator from a good print. I don't know if the movie even has a good print left in existence, but I'd love to see it done, if at all possible.

What's exciting about The Final Terror release for me, is that the movie could have been a lost title. The movie has never had a quality home video release of any kind. The VHS was terrible- way too dark and not in OAR. The DVD was simply a bootleg with a file rip of the terrible VHS. So, even if the Scream release has built in PQ limitations, it's going to be revelatory watching the film where you can tell what's happening on screen.

I hope this sells well, so we might have more obscure 80's slashers with less than ideal elements, given a chance on Blu Ray.

The release gives me hope for titles like: The Prey, The Mutilator, Funeral Home, and so many others that seem to be lost to time.

Last edited by Camp_Crystal_Lake; 02-08-2014 at 12:01 PM.
Thanks given by:
dressedtokill (05-01-2014)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Tags
blu ray, horror, scream factory, slasher, the final terror