Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
4 hrs ago
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99
 
Let's Be Cops (Blu-ray)
$9.96
 
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.96
 
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$11.99
 
The Innocents (Blu-ray)
$21.99
40 min ago
Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$18.99
 
Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.99
 
The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$59.99
 
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
True Detective (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$149.99
 
Vikings: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 10-21-2013, 12:35 PM   #1
kevinbellamy kevinbellamy is offline
Senior Member
 
kevinbellamy's Avatar
 
Jan 2011
Richmond, Kentucky
Default Windows 8.1

Frankly, I'm not seeing any substantial differences or "fixes".

One thing that really ticks me off is how I was asked to create (or login) to an MSN account in order to successfully continue the installation!?
Sure it took seconds but I mean there was not even an option to skip this - It is a necessity.

From what I can gather, it appears most of the upgrades applies toward Metro and apps. I dunno? I don't use either. I boot directly into my desktop so.. yeah..

Rambling/Ranting

Last edited by kevinbellamy; 10-21-2013 at 01:23 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:25 PM   #2
partridge partridge is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
partridge's Avatar
 
Oct 2005
England
Default

being able to boot to desktop is the only thing I really care about in this release, that and being able to change the tile background to match your desktop means that the tiles themselves are less irritating because it looks like they are just popping up on your desktop rather than taking you away from it. So yeah, the update means you can pretend "metro" doesn't exist and carry on using Windows like it's XP or 7.

Stupid Microsoft. They couldn't develop bacteria in a petri dish.

I'm fairly sure I will be Windows free sometime next year.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:20 AM   #3
cricepng cricepng is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
cricepng's Avatar
 
Jan 2013
Papua New Guinea
10
589
237
1
1
Default

I like Windows and do not loathe Win8 as some people do. But I must admit that Microsoft deployment strategy for Win 8.1 is one of the most horrible things to hit computing. My laptop came with 8.0 Home and I paid to upgrade to 8.0 Pro shortly thereafter as I use this in a work environment (usually in a developing country with slow, expensive Internet). Our non-profit org downloaded the 8.1 Pro install file from MS for MS 8.0 Pro users to install as it would cost about $300 per person to upgrade via MS's preferred method of going through their Store.

The problem is that Windows reverts back to the OEM license key of Home and then says that our upgraded Pro keys are not valid for the Pro version of 8.1. I've heard that isn't a problem if you are in a region with good Internet and can do it through the Store.

It would have been nice if MS added shutdown, restart, sleep functions directly onto the desktop instead of still having to go through the Start page's charms.
Living Room HT (In Papua New Guinea) Toshiba 40-inch 1080p (40L2200U); Sony BDP-S5100 region free player; Yamaha RX-V373 5.1 receiver; Polk Monitor 45B's; Polk Monitor 15C; Polk T15's; Harmony 650 remote

My Other Living Room HT (in storage in the States) Panasonic DMP-BDT220 player; Onkyo HT-S5600 7.1 HT speaker system w/ receiver
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:46 PM   #4
rami7250 rami7250 is offline
Junior Member
 
Feb 2014
Default

Do yourself a favore and install windows 7.
Windows 8 is another and the next vista crap.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:08 PM   #5
Villiam Hayes Villiam Hayes is offline
Banned
 
Dec 2011
Norn Iron
15
455
5
20
Default

It took me long enough to get used to 8 that there is no way I am changing to 8.1
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:21 AM   #6
BLindsay BLindsay is offline
Power Member
 
Aug 2008
NH
44
536
11
Default

Just install classic shell and it gives you the option to get rid of the tiles and boot right to desktop. just like a faster windows 7 at that point
Display: 120" Elitescreen + Epson 5030UB
Power: Emotiva UMC-200, XPA-3, 2x UPA-1
Fronts: Polk LSi15s (Upgraded crossovers and woofers)
Rears: Polk LSi7s
Center: Polk LSiC (Upgraded crossover)
Sub: DIY JL 12W7 w/Behringer EPX-2800
Blu-ray: OPPO BDP-103
Headphones: Sennheiser HD558
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:07 AM   #7
AmishParadise AmishParadise is offline
Senior Member
 
AmishParadise's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLindsay View Post
Just install classic shell and it gives you the option to get rid of the tiles and boot right to desktop. just like a faster windows 7 at that point
Not to mention a Start button that actually provides the classic cascading Start Menu. I'm still on Windows 7 and have been using Classic Shell from day one. Highly recommnended, especially for those on Windows 8.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:49 PM   #8
Hatter Hatter is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Hatter's Avatar
 
Feb 2010
Montreal, Canada
42
63
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishParadise View Post
Not to mention a Start button that actually provides the classic cascading Start Menu. I'm still on Windows 7 and have been using Classic Shell from day one. Highly recommnended, especially for those on Windows 8.
People still prefer that archaic cascading window system? Why?

The Win8 start menu saves me so much time at work. Like having a desktop full of shortcuts with keyword search without the desktop clutter.
Vaiyo A-O , A Home Va Ya Ray, Vaiyo A-Rah, Jerhume Brunnen G

My Collection
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:43 PM   #9
mrbrat_Boy mrbrat_Boy is offline
Special Member
 
mrbrat_Boy's Avatar
 
Jul 2009
Johannesburg - South Africa
102
1195
156
24
Default

These are the issues i've had with 8.1 on my laptop:

* My DVD-Drive keeps on going MIA, after a restart, its back there. I have no idea whats happening. This didn't happen with 8.0 , still looking for a fix for this.

*Bluetooth Drivers went MIA after the update... Was like WTF is going on here, Fortunately i found a fix, but why did we have to do it in the first place!

Other than these gripes, i have gotten quite used to the OS. Some things are still difficult, but i love reading about it and seeing if it actually works. If it doesn't, that when my frustration starts to increase.
LG 42" LW6510 3D TV | Onkyo TX-NR 609 (7.2 Setup) |
Sony PS4 - 500 GB (Region B) | Sony PS3 - 250 GB (Region B) | Sony PS3 - 250 GB (Region A)|
Oppo BD-103 | HP Envy M6 |
Polk Audio CSi A6 | Polk Audio Tsi 500's | Polk Audio Tsi 100's | Wharfedale Diamond 10 DFS Surrounds | JBL ES250PBK |
Optoma HD25-LV 3D Projector | Elite Manual Screen 109"
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:49 PM   #10
prerich prerich is offline
Moderator
 
prerich's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
41
1
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatter View Post
People still prefer that archaic cascading window system? Why?

The Win8 start menu saves me so much time at work. Like having a desktop full of shortcuts with keyword search without the desktop clutter.
However - if you are not graphically oriented it can actually confuse a person. I repaired 5 machines this weekend and the most difficult was the Windows 8 machine (finding the command prompt, the run prompt etc. was more difficult in Windows 8 than in 7....I had to remember where they were in 8 where as I had them readily available in 7). I believe the run command and the command line should be on the main page, not buried in the all apps page - behind all the visual stuff.

To me this OS wasn't well thought out. Many education districts have chosen to "skip" this version and wait on 9.
Klipsch Cornwall L/R, Klipsch Heresy center, Definitive Technology BP2's (x4) rear, Wharfedale sw380 Subs (x2), SVS 16-46 CS (X2) 2-8 inch transmission line Subs (rear), Yamaha power Amps mx830 (x2), Adcom 5503 3 channel power amp, Behringer EP4000 Power amp, BD HTPC, Xonar Essence ST/H6 modified Burson Supreme Discreet Opamps, NAS with 6gb ram running NAS4Free and 12tb of storage, Da-lite 16:9 106" Screen, BenQ 3D Projector, LG 55 inch LED TV.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:08 PM   #11
Hatter Hatter is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Hatter's Avatar
 
Feb 2010
Montreal, Canada
42
63
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
However - if you are not graphically oriented it can actually confuse a person. I repaired 5 machines this weekend and the most difficult was the Windows 8 machine (finding the command prompt, the run prompt etc. was more difficult in Windows 8 than in 7....I had to remember where they were in 8 where as I had them readily available in 7). I believe the run command and the command line should be on the main page, not buried in the all apps page - behind all the visual stuff.

To me this OS wasn't well thought out. Many education districts have chosen to "skip" this version and wait on 9.
I never understoodd this complaint. Search doubles as run like it does in windows 7 and vista. I don't know why people feel the need to have a separate run button. As for command prompt, you can place it there yourself.

If you upgrade to 8.1, right clicking on the start button gives a popup list of all the cmoon management commands anyway (cmd, powershell, control panel etc.).

Honestly most complaints just like I get at work are because people are unwilling to change and/or put in some effort in to learn the new system. They condemn it without giving it a chance.
Vaiyo A-O , A Home Va Ya Ray, Vaiyo A-Rah, Jerhume Brunnen G

My Collection
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:09 PM   #12
prerich prerich is offline
Moderator
 
prerich's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
41
1
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatter View Post
I never understoodd this complaint. Search doubles as run like it does in windows 7 and vista. I don't know why people feel the need to have a separate run button. As for command prompt, you can place it there yourself.

If you upgrade to 8.1, right clicking on the start button gives a popup list of all the cmoon management commands anyway (cmd, powershell, control panel etc.).

Honestly most complaints just like I get at work are because people are unwilling to change and/or put in some effort in to learn the new system. They condemn it without giving it a chance.
You see, that right there - you have to right click on the start button, doesn't it make since to put it on the tiles by default instead of having to perform an extra function to get to it?

It has a lot of clutter such as video, ebay, and other things as the first tiles you see. That doesn't make sense to me . I used Windows 8 well before it came out (for about 2 months) and put it down. The "flow" was just wrong. Now you place 8 in front of someone who is just a basic user and has no PC background at all....it may seem intuitive, but for a PC user - its non-intuitive as can be.

I know that I can customize a work space for myself, but when I'm working on someone else's machine - I have to leave things as they are. You get use to taking shortcuts or what took a series of 2 clicks now takes 4. I actually think they want to make PC's like Apple - no serviceable parts, to keep the money flow in the company. If that did happen - you'd see a lot of people move to Linux.
Klipsch Cornwall L/R, Klipsch Heresy center, Definitive Technology BP2's (x4) rear, Wharfedale sw380 Subs (x2), SVS 16-46 CS (X2) 2-8 inch transmission line Subs (rear), Yamaha power Amps mx830 (x2), Adcom 5503 3 channel power amp, Behringer EP4000 Power amp, BD HTPC, Xonar Essence ST/H6 modified Burson Supreme Discreet Opamps, NAS with 6gb ram running NAS4Free and 12tb of storage, Da-lite 16:9 106" Screen, BenQ 3D Projector, LG 55 inch LED TV.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:06 AM   #13
Hatter Hatter is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Hatter's Avatar
 
Feb 2010
Montreal, Canada
42
63
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
You see, that right there - you have to right click on the start button, doesn't it make since to put it on the tiles by default instead of having to perform an extra function to get to it?

It has a lot of clutter such as video, ebay, and other things as the first tiles you see. That doesn't make sense to me . I used Windows 8 well before it came out (for about 2 months) and put it down. The "flow" was just wrong. Now you place 8 in front of someone who is just a basic user and has no PC background at all....it may seem intuitive, but for a PC user - its non-intuitive as can be.

I know that I can customize a work space for myself, but when I'm working on someone else's machine - I have to leave things as they are. You get use to taking shortcuts or what took a series of 2 clicks now takes 4. I actually think they want to make PC's like Apple - no serviceable parts, to keep the money flow in the company. If that did happen - you'd see a lot of people move to Linux.
Right click choose on 8.1. Old way is click or press start and choose. Two clicks either way. I'm really not following. They're also available through charms menus. Regardless, most users do not need control panel to be readily available to them and for those that do, it's minor setup time.

I thought windows 8 would be a nightmare especially to an IT guy who often needs to access settings and such. I'm shocked that it's been so smooth.
Vaiyo A-O , A Home Va Ya Ray, Vaiyo A-Rah, Jerhume Brunnen G

My Collection
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:03 PM   #14
prerich prerich is offline
Moderator
 
prerich's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
41
1
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatter View Post
Right click choose on 8.1. Old way is click or press start and choose. Two clicks either way. I'm really not following. They're also available through charms menus. Regardless, most users do not need control panel to be readily available to them and for those that do, it's minor setup time.

I thought windows 8 would be a nightmare especially to an IT guy who often needs to access settings and such. I'm shocked that it's been so smooth.
I will say that 8.1 is better than 8.0. I'm still a 7 fan though. Most of the advantages of Windows 8 are aimed at touch screens and tablets (I love windows phones). I just don't see the need to change to 8 on the desktop.
Klipsch Cornwall L/R, Klipsch Heresy center, Definitive Technology BP2's (x4) rear, Wharfedale sw380 Subs (x2), SVS 16-46 CS (X2) 2-8 inch transmission line Subs (rear), Yamaha power Amps mx830 (x2), Adcom 5503 3 channel power amp, Behringer EP4000 Power amp, BD HTPC, Xonar Essence ST/H6 modified Burson Supreme Discreet Opamps, NAS with 6gb ram running NAS4Free and 12tb of storage, Da-lite 16:9 106" Screen, BenQ 3D Projector, LG 55 inch LED TV.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:12 PM   #15
Hatter Hatter is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Hatter's Avatar
 
Feb 2010
Montreal, Canada
42
63
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
I will say that 8.1 is better than 8.0. I'm still a 7 fan though. Most of the advantages of Windows 8 are aimed at touch screens and tablets (I love windows phones). I just don't see the need to change to 8 on the desktop.
If you still have 7 as I do for your desktop, your right there is no need to change. When people still tell me XP is better than 7 or 8 though, I want to smack them for holding the tech world hostage. XP needs to die, end of story.

It sucks when I have to dumb down my web stuff when I'm told oh it still has to run on IE8.
Vaiyo A-O , A Home Va Ya Ray, Vaiyo A-Rah, Jerhume Brunnen G

My Collection
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:23 PM   #16
Nick The Slick Nick The Slick is online now
Senior Member
 
Nick The Slick's Avatar
 
Dec 2011
Kentucky
27
106
1
Default

Windows key + r, no clicks at all!

No but seriously, I'm indifferent with Windows 8. There's things I like about it (much much more detailed task manager - love love love this and the quicker boots) and things I hate (Metro interface of course). Windows 8.1 has been a nightmare here at my job though. It has caused SO many driver issues and the manufacturers are barely keeping up. Have had several units come in with freezing, several things stop working, etc. after installing 8.1 and a quick refresh (love this new option BTW, has been a life saver) solves it all. Then simply download all the updated drivers from the manufacturer and install 8.1. The common user doesn't think to update all their drivers before installing though, especially when Windows keeps pushing a pop-up on you telling you to go to the store to install the update
My Current Setup:
Receiver:
Onkyo TX-NR818 Amps: Crown XLS 1500 (Mains), Dayton Audio SA230 (Sub) Display: BenQ W1070 on Elite Screens Silver Frame series 84" Front L/R Speakers: Polk Audio Monitor 70's Center Speaker: Polk Audio CS2 Rear L/R Speakers: Polk Audio Monitor 30's Sub: 1 DIY 12 Inch Sealed sub Blu-Ray/Gaming/Music/TV: Custom built desktop computer
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:39 PM   #17
prerich prerich is offline
Moderator
 
prerich's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
41
1
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatter View Post
If you still have 7 as I do for your desktop, your right there is no need to change. When people still tell me XP is better than 7 or 8 though, I want to smack them for holding the tech world hostage. XP needs to die, end of story.

It sucks when I have to dumb down my web stuff when I'm told oh it still has to run on IE8.
Yes, XP needs to die. I think it dies next month right?
Klipsch Cornwall L/R, Klipsch Heresy center, Definitive Technology BP2's (x4) rear, Wharfedale sw380 Subs (x2), SVS 16-46 CS (X2) 2-8 inch transmission line Subs (rear), Yamaha power Amps mx830 (x2), Adcom 5503 3 channel power amp, Behringer EP4000 Power amp, BD HTPC, Xonar Essence ST/H6 modified Burson Supreme Discreet Opamps, NAS with 6gb ram running NAS4Free and 12tb of storage, Da-lite 16:9 106" Screen, BenQ 3D Projector, LG 55 inch LED TV.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:10 AM   #18
onyxbfly onyxbfly is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
onyxbfly's Avatar
 
Feb 2009
709
23
43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
Yes, XP needs to die. I think it dies next month right?

We will have a party at my job on April 8th to celebrate the death of XP!
Front Sound Stage: Clearwave Dynamics LCR Surround Sound: 4*AV 123 X-LS Encore, LFE: 2*JBL W15GTI Subwoofers,
Primary Display: Sharp LC-70C6400U Secondary Display: Mitsubishi HC6800
Power Protection:
APC AV S20BLK AVP: ??????????????
AMP: Sherbourn PA 7-350
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:58 PM   #19
Hatter Hatter is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Hatter's Avatar
 
Feb 2010
Montreal, Canada
42
63
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxbfly View Post
We will have a party at my job on April 8th to celebrate the death of XP!
I wish. It's a month away and the IT tech guys haven't done a thing about it. Production can stay on XP fine as they aren't connected to the internet but aside from a handful of people, everyone else in the office still uses XP including all the programmers except myself.
Vaiyo A-O , A Home Va Ya Ray, Vaiyo A-Rah, Jerhume Brunnen G

My Collection
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 02:10 PM   #20
BostonFilmFan BostonFilmFan is offline
Member
 
Feb 2013
Somerville, MA
331
Default

I just had to buy a new laptop(my first one as I always had desktops) as I have XP and it's not being supported starting in February. XP has worked for me, but I totally wanted to stay away from Windows 8. I got a laptop with Windows 7. It's supposed to be ready for pickup today.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:27 AM.