Best Blu-ray Deals

Black Friday Week is Live, $3.99 Blu-ray Movies »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$29.99
18 hrs ago
Chef (Blu-ray)
$9.99
12 hrs ago
Rain Man (Blu-ray)
$3.99

The Purge: Anarchy (Blu-ray)
$9.99
7 hrs ago
A Million Ways to Die in the West (Blu-ray)
$9.99
19 hrs ago
Person of Interest: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99

X-Men: First Class (Blu-ray)
$3.99

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Rise of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$3.99

John Adams (Blu-ray)
$14.99
2 hrs ago
Lone Survivor (Blu-ray)
$7.99

The Princess Bride (Blu-ray)
$3.99
14 hrs ago
The Avengers (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 03-21-2014, 04:27 AM   #41

Mar 2010

Slightly old news, but GKIDS is going to be releasing Isao Takahata's The Tale of Princess Kaguya from Studio Ghibli this Fall. It's still unclear whether it will be a one-week Oscar qualifying run with a limited release after Oscar nominations are announced, or a full blown (limited) release.

Either way, the BD should be released sometime next year.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:18 AM   #42
Power Member

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirben View Post
Amazon have added pre-orders for Eleanor's Secret:
Eleanor's Secret (Blu-Ray)
Eleanor's Secret (DVD)

Finally a Blu-Ray release of Eleanor's Secret, which was previously only available on DVD in the UK.
Nice find! This is one I've been wanting to see!

However, I won't get my hopes up quite yet, considering what has happened to some of the other listings.

I believe France has only ever received a DVD release as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.F View Post
Slightly old news, but GKIDS is going to be releasing Isao Takahata's The Tale of Princess Kaguya from Studio Ghibli this Fall. It's still unclear whether it will be a one-week Oscar qualifying run with a limited release after Oscar nominations are announced, or a full blown (limited) release.

Either way, the BD should be released sometime next year.
Considering how GKIDS' other releases have went, I'd guess you're right on with it getting a one-week Oscar qualifying run sometime this year, with a limited run early next year, followed by the BD release.

Last edited by celticmoon; 03-21-2014 at 07:21 AM.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:48 PM   #43

Sep 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticmoon View Post
Nice find! This is one I've been wanting to see!

However, I won't get my hopes up quite yet, considering what has happened to some of the other listings.

I believe France has only ever received a DVD release as well.

Considering how GKIDS' other releases have went, I'd guess you're right on with it getting a one-week Oscar qualifying run sometime this year, with a limited run early next year, followed by the BD release.
I don't know why they'd have to wait that long. I mean, I agree with you that this is probably what will happen, but timing a release just for the Oscars rarely seems to actually help raise awareness or box office sales of a particular film if it isn't already buzzing, and many Oscar voters don't really give a crap about animated films, so a win for anything other than a major studio film is a longshot anyway. And it will still get that boost in awareness when the nominations are announced, whether the film runs in September or December or January. Of course, yeah, I know they want people to go see the film in theatres instead of afterwards on BD, but it rarely seems to help in terms of ticket sales for animated films, as I said.

It really sucks that this will probably hit theatres in February of 2015 and a BD release won't be until probably May of 2015.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:22 PM   #44
Power Member

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by llj View Post
I don't know why they'd have to wait that long. I mean, I agree with you that this is probably what will happen, but timing a release just for the Oscars rarely seems to actually help raise awareness or box office sales of a particular film if it isn't already buzzing, and many Oscar voters don't really give a crap about animated films, so a win for anything other than a major studio film is a longshot anyway. And it will still get that boost in awareness when the nominations are announced, whether the film runs in September or December or January. Of course, yeah, I know they want people to go see the film in theatres instead of afterwards on BD, but it rarely seems to help in terms of ticket sales for animated films, as I said.

It really sucks that this will probably hit theatres in February of 2015 and a BD release won't be until probably May of 2015.
Yeah, I understand what you're saying, but I guess that's just the way they do it... The Secret of Kells, Chico & Rita, A Cat in Paris, and Ernest and Celestine all got their limited runs after their nominations. The rest didn't even get significant theatrical runs and the ones that did usually seemed to get it after Oscar announcements for the year they qualified, the notable exceptions being The Rabbi's Cat and Summer Wars, which both got theatrical runs starting in December.

So if they adhere to their past releases, the earliest GKIDS would give it a proper theatrical run is December. The good thing is it will probably get one of the wider releases for a GKIDS film due to it being Ghibli. Poppy Hill was their widest release with 49 theaters at one point, though that is hardly anything even compared to the 400+ that The Wind Rises got through Disney/Touchstone.

But actually, perhaps running them after their Oscar nominations does help ticket sales?

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/studio/...udio=gkids.htm

Aside from Poppy Hill, which is unsurprisingly their highest grossing film, their highest grossing films have all been Oscar nominees. They also have the widest releases, which may indicate that theaters are more likely to want to play films that have received Oscar nominations, even for a largely ignored category like Best Animated Feature.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:34 AM   #45
Power Member

Apr 2011

Somehow this completely slipped under my radar....

Approved for Adoption
Release date: April 29, 2014

Approved for Adoption Blu-ray

I'd also like to note that the only GKIDS film that has an "upcoming release" according the the New Video Group/Cinedigm website is Ernest and Celestine.... Still hoping those other titles make it....
Old 05-06-2014, 10:52 AM   #46

Aug 2010
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Definitely looks like the Blu-Ray version of Wrinkles was cancelled, with two different DVD editions been offered. Since Amazon (USA) lists the two editions as 'DVD' and '1-Disc Version' now. And only a DVD edition of Wrinkles in listed on Cinedigm web site.

I will import the UK Blu-Ray release when offered for good price, looks like it includes both languages (English and Spanish) at least.

Last edited by Kirben; 05-06-2014 at 10:54 AM.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:38 AM   #47

Aug 2010

A Letter to Momo has been delayed until 21st October 2014, according to the DVD listing on Amazon (USA). The Blu-Ray listing on Amazon (USA) is still not available to order, I hope we eventually get a Blu-Ray release.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:13 AM   #48
Power Member

Apr 2011

Quote:
Definitely looks like the Blu-Ray version of Wrinkles was cancelled, with two different DVD editions been offered. Since Amazon (USA) lists the two editions as 'DVD' and '1-Disc Version' now. And only a DVD edition of Wrinkles in listed on Cinedigm web site.

I will import the UK Blu-Ray release when offered for good price, looks like it includes both languages (English and Spanish) at least.
I just noticed this today. Well, that's quite unfortunate. I might have to look into the UK release as well.

The BD of Eleanor's Secret seems to have been cancelled as well. New Video Group now lists a page for it, but only a DVD edition. I suppose this one isn't as surprising though, as I don't think this has been released on BD any where else, even in its native France. I really wanted to see this one on BD though.

Quote:
A Letter to Momo has been delayed until 21st October 2014, according to the DVD listing on Amazon (USA). The Blu-Ray listing on Amazon (USA) is still not available to order, I hope we eventually get a Blu-Ray release.
With what's been happening to the other releases, I'm not particularly optimistic. I'll keep my expectations low.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:39 AM   #49

Aug 2010

Quote:
The BD of Eleanor's Secret seems to have been cancelled as well. New Video Group now lists a page for it, but only a DVD edition. I suppose this one isn't as surprising though, as I don't think this has been released on BD any where else, even in its native France. I really wanted to see this one on BD though.
Eleanor's Secret was released on Blu-Ray in Germany, so a DVD only release is really disappointing. At least the original French audio will be included on the DVD release in the USA, which is better than the DVD release in the UK.

Quote:
With what's been happening to the other releases, I'm not particularly optimistic. I'll keep my expectations low.
Yes, it is looking very bad for future Blu-Ray releases. I wonder if the Blu-Ray releases of other animated movies were poor sellers, causing them to make more DVD only.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:02 AM   #50
Power Member

Apr 2011

Quote:
Eleanor's Secret was released on Blu-Ray in Germany, so a DVD only release is really disappointing. At least the original French audio will be included on the DVD release in the USA, which is better than the DVD release in the UK.
You're right... I didn't notice. It doesn't appear that it is English-friendly either, hmmm......

Quote:
Yes, it is looking very bad for future Blu-Ray releases. I wonder if the Blu-Ray releases of other animated movies were poor sellers, causing them to make more DVD only.
Yeah, that would be my guess... Though these were never going to be super huge sellers in the first place.

My guess is that anything that is nominated for the Oscar will continue to get BD releases. And probably any future Ghibli films they get their hands on. I also assume something like Song of the Sea, which will have somewhat of a built-in audience due to its connection with Secret of Kells, will get a BD release regardless of Oscar nominations. Anything else, though, is probably up in the air...

Though I suppose the fact that A Letter to Momo is categorized as anime will help its chances a bit. It will surely have more of an audience than many of their other films simply due to that fact.

Considering everything, I'm surprised Approved For Adoption, of all the films, managed to get a BD release.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:21 AM   #51

Mar 2010

Anyone know if Ernest & Celestine will be available in any store?
Old 06-14-2014, 10:18 PM   #52
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2010

Quote:
Anyone know if Ernest & Celestine will be available in any store?
Came in here to ask the same question.

My favorite animated film in years. Itching to see it again.
Most desired Blu-rays: Far too many to name.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:14 PM   #53

Mar 2010

Old 06-21-2014, 01:17 AM   #54
Power Member

Apr 2011

Quote:
[Show spoiler]
Nice. Were you able to find in in store somewhere?

Kinda late since you already got it, but I wouldn't imagine too many B&M stores that would be carrying it. Maybe BN or something....

It's going for $20.99 on Amazon right now, which isn't too bad.... But way above my usual threshold. Decisions, decisions....
Old 06-21-2014, 02:15 AM   #55

Mar 2010

Quote:
Nice. Were you able to find in in store somewhere?

Kinda late since you already got it, but I wouldn't imagine too many B&M stores that would be carrying it. Maybe BN or something....

It's going for $20.99 on Amazon right now, which isn't too bad.... But way above my usual threshold. Decisions, decisions....
I ordered it on Amazon, but I checked bn.com and they had it available for in-store pick-up, so try there if you want it now. I believe they have it for $24
Old 06-21-2014, 04:46 AM   #56

Mar 2014

My Best Buy got the DVD but not the Blu. It's a DVD with a slip, which seems kinda rare these days.
VP Clemmons: Mr. Echolls, may I have a word?
Logan: Anthropomorphic. It's all yours, big guy.
- Veronica Mars, "The Girl Next Door" (1.07)
Old 06-21-2014, 08:03 AM   #57
Power Member

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsebot3K View Post
My Best Buy got the DVD but not the Blu. It's a DVD with a slip, which seems kinda rare these days.
That's true. I believe I saw copies of the Poppy Hill DVD at Target when that came out, also with a slip (but no BD).
Old 06-23-2014, 05:23 AM   #58

Aug 2010

The Blu-Ray release of Wrinkles from the UK just arrived, and actually offers a few extras, but barely anything worth mentioning:
Wrinkles Animatic (1.28) - Animatic, with English voices.
Wrinkles Making Of (2.25) - Very brief overview of production, with music (no speech).
Peter Bradshaw reviews Wrinkles (0.24) - Completely pointless
Wrinkles Trailer (1.05) - In Spanish, with English subtitles
Wrinkles Teaser Trailer (1.01) - Teaser trailer

The UK release of Wrinkles offers choice of English, or Spanish audio, with English subtitles. But is Region B only though, according to AnyDVD HD.

Last edited by Kirben; 06-23-2014 at 05:25 AM.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:37 PM   #59
Power Member

Apr 2011

A lot of the GKIDS titles are pretty discounted on Amazon right now.
A lot of them aren't exactly the lowest they've ever been, but they are decent prices nonetheless for titles that rarely get discounted.

I'll finally be picking up Ernest & Celestine, plus perhaps one or two titles I haven't picked up yet.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:50 PM   #60

Jun 2009
Malta, Europe

Any chance someone can answer the question in my first post a few pages back? I'm wondering whether the American GKids/Cinedigm animation Blu-rays are region free. I live in Europe and most of the titles released stateside by GKids are not available on Blu-ray over here. For some time I considered getting the French Blu releases for films like The Painting, A Cat in Paris and The Rabbi's Cat, but those don't have English subtitles.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America