Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Death of Superman (Blu-ray)
$17.96
2 hrs ago
2001: A Space Odyssey 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.87
12 hrs ago
Mission: Impossible 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

DC Universe: 10th Anniversary Collection (Blu-ray)
$139.99

The Tree of Life (Blu-ray)
$22.00
19 hrs ago
Mission: Impossible III 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Deadpool 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.96

A Bad Moms Christmas (Blu-ray)
$9.59

Terminator 2: Judgment Day 4K (Blu-ray)
$13.00
7 hrs ago
I Kill Giants (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Planet Earth II 4K (Blu-ray)
$28.99
12 hrs ago
Book Club (Blu-ray)
$19.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors

Old 06-16-2014, 06:59 PM   #161

Mar 2012

Back when I was around 15, I made my parents rent Meteor and it's one of the few instances in which I've felt embarrassed at pushing people into watching something. It must be among the ten worst movies I've ever sat through.
So, apparently by Studio Classics, Kino means any crap that was once owned/issued by a studio. Sean Connery is my all time fave actors but I can't believe crap like this gets released on BD (The Great Train Robbery is pretty bad, too) when they could license THE OFFENCE, arguably the finest Connery/Lumet collaboration instead.
Kino also promised THE TRIAL almost a year ago and they give priority to this? It confirms my argument that if we eliminated all the double dips, tv shows and crappy third rate movies studios/labels should to release, by now every good movie ever made would have been released on BD.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:14 PM   #162
Banned

Aug 2011

Well if they are reading these posts .. here are some choice movies Id like blu ray releases for
Planet of the Vampires
The Angry Red Planet
The Quatermass Experiment
Reptilicus (include the Danish version)
Gorath
Empire of the Ants
Monster that Challenged the World
It ! The Terror From Beyond Space
The Man from Planet X
Hound of the Baskervilles
Old 06-16-2014, 07:42 PM   #163
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2008
Beautiful Pacific Northwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadwoppet View Post
Back when I was around 15, I made my parents rent Meteor and it's one of the few instances in which I've felt embarrassed at pushing people into watching something. It must be among the ten worst movies I've ever sat through.
So, apparently by Studio Classics, Kino means any crap that was once owned/issued by a studio. Sean Connery is my all time fave actors but I can't believe crap like this gets released on BD (The Great Train Robbery is pretty bad, too) when they could license THE OFFENCE, arguably the finest Connery/Lumet collaboration instead.
Kino also promised THE TRIAL almost a year ago and they give priority to this? It confirms my argument that if we eliminated all the double dips, tv shows and crappy third rate movies studios/labels should to release, by now every good movie ever made would have been released on BD.

mine too so knock it off! This is not a great movie by any means but it's a fun B-grade flick with a great cast.... and The Great Train Robbery is not "pretty bad" on any level... it's absurd to crap post an announcement featuring one of your favorite actors....
Old 06-16-2014, 09:00 PM   #164
Banned

Aug 2011

I watched Great Train Robbery last night and I wasn't into it. I dont think it is not a bad film - its well made, good acting, but , it just didn't get with me, some movies are like that no matter how good it is or isn't..the feel or atmosphere of a movie sometimes does not click with you..that's how I goes and why I rent movies first...
Old 06-16-2014, 09:03 PM   #165
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Mar 2012
New York City

A bunch of them just dropped down to $16.99 on Amazon. I'd be surprised to see them lower, but best to get your pre-orders in either way
Thanks given by:
Cinema74 (06-16-2014)
Old 06-16-2014, 09:29 PM   #166
Banned

Aug 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MifuneFan View Post
A bunch of them just dropped down to $16.99 on Amazon. I'd be surprised to see them lower, but best to get your pre-orders in either way
I re-ordered my pre-orders and saved 15.00 or so - good catch !
Old 06-16-2014, 10:01 PM   #167

Mar 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKORIS View Post
mine too so knock it off! This is not a great movie by any means but it's a fun B-grade flick with a great cast.... and The Great Train Robbery is not "pretty bad" on any level... it's absurd to crap post an announcement featuring one of your favorite actors....
Connery is on record that the two movies he regrets having made are Cuba and Meteor. So if Sir Sean is man enough to admit he made crap, I don't see why I can't.
This is not the Meteor or Train Robbery thread, where everybody posting obviously loves those movies (for reasons beyond me) but a general thread on KL SC. I find that the name should stand something. Movies aren't classics just because they're old. These two are second to third rate stuff.
Connery aldo made Woman of Straw for UA which is WAY BETTER than these two. Train Robbery is competently made at a technical level but dull and soulless beyond belief. I was counting on SC and DS to have some chemistry like with MC in Man who would be King but Crichton's direction is appalling. One thing is having a fave actor, a very different one is having a fetish.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:01 PM   #168
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2011
Arizona, USA

Do Kino's releases always come with slipcovers or does it vary?
Old 06-16-2014, 10:09 PM   #169
Banned

Feb 2014

Based on Scarlet Street, my fear is that these studio classics won't offer english subs for those of us who are hard of hearing. KINO won't reply to any of my inquisitions, which is typically a bad thing.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:18 PM   #170
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2010
A Drug-Infested Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlk5844 View Post
Do Kino's releases always come with slipcovers or does it vary?
It varies. I have some with sleeves, some without.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:24 PM   #171
Blu-ray Count

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraVerde View Post
KINO won't reply to any of my inquisitions, which is typically a bad thing.
Kino never responds to anyone.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:26 PM   #172
Power Member

May 2014
Antarctica

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraVerde View Post
Based on Scarlet Street, my fear is that these studio classics won't offer english subs for those of us who are hard of hearing. KINO won't reply to any of my inquisitions, which is typically a bad thing.
Maybe you meant inquiries? I could understand them not answering you if you were subjecting them to inquisitions. Don't mess with Kinski!
Old 06-16-2014, 10:28 PM   #173
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
...somewhere in Sweden
-

just ordered all the $16.99 pre-orders!!!
Now THIS is what I've been waiting for.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:05 AM   #174
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2012

Quote:
Connery is on record that the two movies he regrets having made are Cuba and Meteor. So if Sir Sean is man enough to admit he made crap, I don't see why I can't.
This is not the Meteor or Train Robbery thread, where everybody posting obviously loves those movies (for reasons beyond me) but a general thread on KL SC. I find that the name should stand something. Movies aren't classics just because they're old. These two are second to third rate stuff.
Connery aldo made Woman of Straw for UA which is WAY BETTER than these two. Train Robbery is competently made at a technical level but dull and soulless beyond belief. I was counting on SC and DS to have some chemistry like with MC in Man who would be King but Crichton's direction is appalling. One thing is having a fave actor, a very different one is having a fetish.
Agree with you on Meteor, it was a silly late period disaster flick. Good cast though. Disagree with you about Great Train Robbery, I thought it was a wonderful Victorian era heist flick... Also disagree on Woman of Straw. I thought it was dull trash and really quite laughably silly at times and not in a good way. The Offence is good though but mainly due to the great interaction between Connery and Bannen.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:19 AM   #175
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2008

Quote:
I still think it's wrong to complain about a title coming out that has one of your favorite actors... it's not a fetish to buy it, perhaps a completest. Either way, you don't have to buy it.

I think it's very exciting to see lots of catalog titles coming out... especially with films from the 70's which I grew up seeing...
Old 06-17-2014, 12:28 AM   #176
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2012

Quote:
Connery is on record that the two movies he regrets having made are Cuba and Meteor.
Obviously The Next Man and Sword of the Valiant slipped his mind when he said that.
"Gentleman, that last remark is not for publication. This is a D notice situation."
Old 06-17-2014, 12:33 AM   #177
Power Member

May 2014
Antarctica

Well, do you really expect Kino to single out the crappier studio films they license and create a sub-label called Kino Studio Crapics, and in turn tell MGM half their titles are lousy films? Nope, all will be classics now, even METEOR.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:37 AM   #178
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlock View Post
Well, do you really expect Kino to single out the crappier studio films they license and create a sub-label called Kino Studio Crapics, and in turn tell MGM half their titles are lousy films? Nope, all will be classics now, even METEOR.
the term "classic" doesn't mean that much. Ever look at the line-up on AMC (American Movie Classics) on cable?
Old 06-17-2014, 12:37 AM   #179
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlock View Post
Yup. "Classic" equals "old".

But, hey: one man's trash is another man's treasure. Right? Right?
Old 06-17-2014, 12:38 AM   #180
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aclea View Post
Obviously The Next Man and Sword of the Valiant slipped his mind when he said that.
good point... those are far worse!!!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors