Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Fast and Furious 1-8 (Blu-ray)
€33.15
xXx, la Trilogie (Blu-ray)
€11.08
Coffret John Wick 2 Films : John Wick 1 ; John Wick 2 (Blu-ray)
€13.17
The Maze Runner / The Scorch Trials (Blu-ray)
€8.24
Da Vinci Code + Anges & démons + Inferno (Blu-ray)
€9.99
Coffret Jason Bourne 5 films (Blu-ray)
€19.33
Fifty Shades Darker (Blu-ray)
€14.99
La La Land (Blu-ray)
€14.99
La Grande Vadrouille (Blu-ray)
€13.80
Silent Hill et Silent Hill: Révélation (Blu-ray)
€7.91
Ice Age Complete Five Pack (Blu-ray)
€14.99
Spider-Man: Homecoming (Blu-ray)
€12.49
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > France

Old 09-16-2014, 06:42 PM   #161
Special Member

Apr 2009
Richmond, VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishParadise View Post
I live in the US and purchased this back on April 7, 2013 per the below.

Articles: EUR 33.44
Shipping: EUR 8.50
-----
Net amount: EUR 41.94
VAT: EUR 0.00
-----
Grand total: EUR 41.94
-----
Total price including tax: EUR 41.94
Grand Total payment: USD 56.70 **

If you live in the US you'll also want to be sure you have a way to play 1080i/50 content. When receiving my copy I found that only the Blu-ray player (Panasonic DMP-BD60 which accepts and outputs at 1080i/50) and plasma display (Panasonic TH-50PH9UK 720p) in my bedroom could play the discs. All the other Blu-ray players (Sony) and displays (Samsung) in my home aren't compatible with 1080i/50. That being said, I am able to watch this in my main viewing room by way of my HTPC and TMT6 which displays and outputs the video at 60hz rather than 50hz.
Thanks... I paid about the same for mine from ebay (around $60). It was more than I wanted to spend but it seems like we definitely aren't getting this one released here anytime soon.
And yes, all of my tv's and blu-ray players can play 50hz. Thanks
Old 09-23-2014, 02:48 PM   #162
Special Member

Apr 2009
Richmond, VA

Finally popped in the first disc and was very pleased! Looks great. Navigation on the french menu's is a breeze and the disc plays on both of my Samsung tv's and both blu-ray players (one being a 3d Samsung player and the other being a DUNE HD MAX which will play any and everything out there!). So glad I purchased this set.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:01 AM   #163
Expert Member

Sep 2009

Has this gone OOP?
Old 10-30-2014, 02:08 PM   #164
Power Member

Dec 2009
Central Florida

For those interested I thought I'd post the episode guide I had worked up for this release which I'm using with My Movies for WMC7 and the My Movies mobile apps. The episode guide reflects the precise breakdown per disc as seen from the Blu-ray menus. I also scanned the original cover art which didn't turn out half bad considering my scanner is about 8 years old and a very cheap one at that. To download the cover scan just click on the preview image below. To view the episode guide hit up the spoiler link. Enjoy!

Quote:

Caprica: The Complete Series (2009)
[Show spoiler]Disc 1: Episodes 1-4
1. Pilot (1/22/10)
58 years before the fall, two families, the Graystones and the Adamas, live together on Caprica, a colony many light years away from Earth, where a startling breakthrough in artificial intelligence brings about unforeseen consequences. Daniel Graystone, a computer engineering genius, owns a large corporation that is spearheading the development of artificial intelligence. His unwavering professional pursuits are driven to extreme measures when personal tragedy strikes him and his wife.

2. Rebirth (1/29/10)
In the wake of the MAGLEV bombing that killed his daughter, Daniel Graystone plunges himself into work. He tries to figure out why he can only create a single intelligent robot, not understanding that the answer lies within the fact that part of his daughter survived the explosion and is closer to him than he could imagine. Consumed with grief, Amanda Graystone is obsessed with discovering who her daughter really was, and slowly begins piecing together the details of Zoe's life.

3. Reins of a Waterfall (2/5/10)
Following Amanda's public revelation that their daughter was responsible for the MAGLEV tragedy, the Graystones must face the wrath of angry Capricans. For Daniel, this includes a confrontation with Sam and Joseph Adama, in which Joseph demands that Daniel reunite him with his daughter's avatar. Daniel also realizes he can't deal with his grief in private -- this is all going to play out on a public stage.

4. Gravedancing (2/19/10)
The Graystones attempt damage control while vengeance closes in on them.

Disc 2: Episodes 5-8
5. There is Another Sky (2/26/10)
Joseph Adama reaches out to his son, while his daughter Tamara finds a new side of the virtual world. Daniel suggests a product for Graystone Industries.

6. Know Thy Enemy (3/5/10)
Daniel Graystone faces a rival while Sister Clarice closes in on Zoe's avatar.

7. The Imperfections of Memory (3/12/10)
Amanda fears for her sanity while Daniel and Joseph close in on their daughters.

8. Ghosts in the Machine (3/19/10)
Daniel is beginning to suspect that Zoe-Avatar is in the robot, but his pleas for his daughter to reveal herself go ignored. In an effort to flush her out, he launches a campaign of psychological torture, resulting in escalating tests that force Zoe into a choice she cannot take back.

Disc 3: Episodes 9-11
9. End of Line (3/26/10)
When Daniel finally sets a deadline for resetting the U-87 Cylon, and unknowingly ending Zoe's existence as she knows it, she makes a desperate attempt to save herself. But when her plan backfires, she finds herself out of time and out of options. Furious with a recent comeuppance, Barnabas ignites his feud with Clarice into an all-out war. Trapped in the middle is Lacy, who is forced to make a decision she may regret forever. Daniel makes a confession to an already reeling Amanda that sends her over the edge.

10. Unvanquished (10/5/10)
Daniel makes a deal with the Ha'la'tha to regain control of Graystone Industries. Clarice suggests the creation of a new religion based on Zoe's invention.

11. Retribution (10/12/10)
Daniel turns to blackmailing board members in order to garner enough votes to return to Graystone Industries' leadership position once again. Meanwhile, a planned bombing goes awry, causing Clarice and Barnabas to come to a final blow-up. And Amanda starts to get suspicious of Clarice, thinking she might be involved in Zoe's death.

Disc 4: Episodes 12-15
12. Things We Lock Away (10/19/10)
Zoe, believing that Tamara holds the key to a higher purpose, seeks the girl known to New Cap City as The Death walker in the most dangerous places.

13. False Labor (10/26/10)
Amanda has just moved into Clarice's home, but she's having trouble bonding with the rest of Clarice's family. Daniel is frustrated with the superficiality of his wife's avatar and misses the real deal. And Sam uses Daniel's invention to settle a personal score with a fellow Tauron.

14. Blowback (11/2/10)
Lacy arrives at Gemenon and on the way to the training retreat, she and the new recruits were high-jacked by another ship who claim to be devotees of multiple gods. Daniel discovers that the Guatrau is using Graystone Industries to support STO terrorist activities in exchange for money. Clarice finally gets her hands on Zoe's pin, where a back-up of her program might be stored, by using her secret STO contact in the GDD, which in turn caused his cover to be exposed.

15. Dirteaters (11/9/10)
Through flashbacks, the audience gets to see what happened to Joseph and Samuel's parents in Tauron, and how the brothers come to an important decision. Daniel catches the hint that the Guatrau will want him dead next and searches for options to prevent his assassination. Meanwhile, Zoe and Tamara have made a name for themselves in New Cap City as the Avenging Angels, and their new-found fame eventually draws Daniel's attention to Zoe's whereabouts.

Disc 5: Episodes 16-18
16. The Heavens Will Rise (11/16/10)
Through some underhanded manipulation, Agent Duram is cast out of the GDD, but he continues working with Amanda and asks her to steal Clarice's holoband for evidence. At the same time, Clarice and her family finds out that they've killed the wrong person. In the training camp, Lacy inadvertently discovers that she has control over STO's robot army, and wonders if Zoe might still be alive in the robot.

17. Here Be Dragons (11/23/10)
Daniel and Amanda go into the virtual world in search of a reconciliation with Zoe, but Zoe is not yet ready to forgive and unleashes her anger on them instead. As the Graystones are deep on their virtual journey, Clarice and gang come barging into their home intend to kill and retrieve the stolen holoband. Meanwhile, the Guatrau finds out about the Adamas' betrayal and sends assassins after them.

18. Apotheosis (11/30/10)
Daniel, Amanda and Zoe rush to prevent Clarice's planned attack on Atlas Arena.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:53 PM   #165

Feb 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueman_Richie View Post
Has this gone OOP?
Certainly looks like it. I managed to get a new copy on eBay a couple of months ago for about £30 - think I did well. Haven't watched it yet though!
Blu-ray wish list; It Couldn't Happen Here, True Lies, The Abyss, Ringu, Ringu 2, Guilty Conscience, Rentaghost the complete series...
Old 11-05-2014, 05:35 AM   #166
Special Member

Jul 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptruman View Post
I received my copy this morning.

Bearing in mind this is a UK PS3 (Slim) with a UK TV, there is no speed up here - the PS3 plays back at 50Hz, and the TV also picks up at 50Hz, full 1080p (this is going via an Onkyo TX-NR609 A/V receiver too - picking up 36 bit)

The menu, whilst French, is minimal - all you need do is spin to "Configuration", pick "Anglais 5.1" and "Sans" (without) subtitles, and away you go.

Quality looks superb to me, so I'm a happy bunny
Yeah, I agree. Caprica definitely looks great on BD and I don't mind the 1080i/50 encode so much, as I have never seen an NTSC broadcast.

Will quickly hijack this post...Just to clarify what is meant by PAL speedup (as you stated there is no speedup here) AND as the Caprica discs are coded at 1080i/50 (even though it plays back at 50p on a Sony PS3).

The original filming of Caprica would have been done at 24fps, then encoded to NTSC for broadcast and DVD releases (29.97 fps or 60 interlaced frames) and results in the film being played back at almost the exact same speed as it was filmed.

When a film is changed to PAL (from 24fps to 25fps/50 interlaced frames), there is a 4.2% speedup (something to do with one of the frames being spliced over two frames). The ratio is 24/25 (ie. 4%). Therefore, Caprica BD is sped up slightly (and why you will find movie running times of PAL DVDs are faster than their BD counterparts).

Check the link below the wiki explanation for playable examples of PAL speedup:

PAL speed-up
Motion pictures are typically shot on film at 24 frames per second. When telecined and played back at PAL's standard of 25 frames per second, films run about 4% faster. This also applies to most TV series that are shot on film or digital 24p. Unlike NTSC's telecine system, which uses 3:2 pulldown to convert the 24 frames per second to the 30 fps frame rate, PAL speed-up results in the telecined video running 4% shorter than the original film as well as the equivalent NTSC telecined video.

Depending on the sound system in use, it also slightly increases the pitch of the soundtrack by 70.67 cents (0.7067 of a semitone). More recently, digital conversion methods have used algorithms which preserve the original pitch of the soundtrack, although the frame rate conversion still results in faster playback.

Conversion methods exist that can convert 24 frames per second video to 25 frames per second with no speed increase, however image quality suffers when conversions of this type are used. This method is most commonly employed through conversions done digitally (i.e. using a computer and software like VirtualDub), and is employed in situations where the importance of preserving the speed of the video outweighs the need for image quality.

Many movie enthusiasts prefer PAL over NTSC despite the former's speed-up, because the latter results in telecine judder, a visual distortion not present in PAL sped-up video. This is not an issue on modern upconverting DVD players and PCs, as they play back 23.97 frame/s–encoded video at its true frame rate, without 3:2 pulldown.

Naturally, PAL speed-up does not occur on native 25 fps video, such as British or European TV-series or movies that are shot on video instead of film.

Software which corrects the speed-up is available for those viewing 576i DVD films on their computers, WinDVD's "PAL TruSpeed" being the most ubiquitous[citation needed]. However, this method involves resampling the soundtrack(s), which results in a slight decrease in audio quality. The echo/audio balance issue can be resolved by re-adjusting the playback pitch (located in the Audio Effect tab) from normal to low and back to normal again.

http://sandbox.slysoft.com/palspeedup/index.html

As the Wiki explanation states, watching any show in PAL broadcasts from the US (for those of us in the UK and Australia), the pitch is slightly different. The best example is when listening to the title music of a show (good examples: The Simpsons, True Blood, The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones themes). They are just a bit quicker than when watching the BD versions, played back at 24fps. In fact, Rick Grimes' voice sounds more "tinny" on the PAL broadcasts compared to the BD transfers.

Note: Pitch change occurs (deeper sound) in reverse for BBC titles released on BD in the US (that is why they are always 1080i/50 when released in Region B countries). BBC does there filming at 25fps, so with shows such as Doctor Who, Ripper Street and Downtown Abbey, when they are converted to 24fps for US BDs, they are actually slowed down by 4%. (As was what happened with the BD release of Doctor Who S1-4, as they were encoded 1080p/24 (and shot in 25fps) the DW BDs are 4.2% slower (longer running time).

This is why I am ecstatic about BD movies, and especially TV on BD for shows from the US. We get to see them at their proper speed and listen to the actors, music etc. at their proper pitch.
Give me Blu-Ray or give me death.

Streaming sucks!

Respect the filmmakers intentions; Respect the the OAR
Old 12-06-2014, 02:14 AM   #167
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2011

Edit: Nevermind...

Last edited by Undeadcow; 12-06-2014 at 03:07 AM.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:50 PM   #168

Mar 2011

Okay, I plan on buying this set in March when I am paid. Hopefully it won't go up too much more before then.

I do need to know something though, before I spend the money.

I no longer have a standalone player and I was told it wouldn't work on it anyway, so I want to see if my computer will play it. If not, I would appreciate knowing what software I need to get.

I am in the USA on a Windows 7 64 bit machine. My software is Corel WinDVD Pro 11. My drive is a Pioneer BDR-206D Blu-ray burner.

Am I good to go?
Old 02-21-2015, 02:07 PM   #169
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Stockholm, but Sussex when back in UK
-
-

Not sure about on a PC, but the content is 1080i50 so interlaced at 50 frames a second. That's why it won't work on most US players as they only play the US standard 60 frames.

One point is unless your player converts the frame rate you need a TV or monitor which plays 50 frames a second and again most US ones won't.

I would suggest asking in the PC and player threads here as a US member who faces similar challenges is more likely to reply.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:09 AM   #170

Mar 2011

Done. Thanks.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:21 PM   #171

Mar 2011

I received the French set today and it is GLORIOUS! Stupid Universal USA....

Anyway,

If I were to buy a standalone player that is not region locked in the USA, where is/are the best deal(s)?
Old 03-12-2015, 11:45 PM   #172
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2010
Charlotte, NC
-
-
-

Reasonably available and relatively cheap -- maybe new Seiki from Sears. Only thing lacking is 3D capability which might be a deal killer for some, but early reports and it 4K Upscaling ability sound pretty good.

Personally I'd still go with an Oppo, but $$$
Old 03-18-2015, 02:34 AM   #173
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2013
South Midlands town of Denton
France Caprica: Entire Series BD

I've got all of the Caprica series on DVD but I'm seriously thinking of getting the BD series from amazon.fr(what's a good price point?)!

Other then the obvious of the PQ are there any more features on the BD then on the DVD series?

Could you convince me this BD series would be worth double-dipping?

"In the dead of night, when the moon is high, and the ill winds blow, and the banshees cry, and the moonlight casts an unearthly glow...arise my love, with tales of woe!"
Jesus of Nazareth Hang'em High Wallander A Touch of Frost The Outlaw Josey Wales Dark Shadows Nightmare Theater The Big Valley...Olafur A Bad Co Stryper ABB...
"WAY""Perhaps Today" "For many are called, but few are chosen"
"payday someday"
PU 17-2 (6-0)
Old 03-18-2015, 11:15 AM   #174

Mar 2011

The picture quality is immensely better than the DVD, that's for certain. Just remember that you need to be able to play 1080i/50 BD's. The current price point for the set is just over $60 USD+. For 5 discs, I think that is worth it without a doubt. As far as the extras, I have skimmed through and it looks like all of the bonus materials from the DVD are there, as well as some BD exclusive extras.

So, in a nutshell? BUY IT!
Thanks given by:
hagios (03-18-2015), Lionel Horsepackage (12-30-2017)
Old 05-03-2015, 07:33 PM   #175
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2012
UK

Universal are releasing Caprica in Germany next month. I don't know if it will be 1080i as the French edition but it's currently cheaper that the French edition.

Caprica - German Blu-ray
Thanks given by:
AmishParadise (05-07-2015), CouncilSpectre (05-05-2015), Sky_Captain (05-03-2015)
Old 05-04-2015, 08:06 PM   #176
Power Member

Dec 2009
Central Florida

Thanks for the heads up. If this upcoming German release ends up being 1080p/24 I'll be picking it up for sure and retiring the 1080i/50 French release that I own which isn't compatible with the majority of Blu-ray players and display devices in my home.
Old 05-25-2015, 03:55 PM   #177
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2012
UK

Pre-orders are up for release in Finland and Sweden. They have 1080p on the back of the covers, hopefully that is correct and not a typing error.

Caprica - Finland Blu-ray

Caprica - Sweden Blu-ray
Old 06-01-2015, 12:39 PM   #178
Special Member

Jul 2012

You would hope that Universal would not frak up twice (French back cover stated 1080p). And with there being a German, Finland and Sweden release, it would be a quadruple frak up!

I notice that the covers state English DTS-HD 5.1 and only German DTS 5.1. Something about Sony/Universal neglecting the country of release augers well for a 1080p/24 release (The French had lossless audio).

Plus, English menus! (Which the French release did not have). Although it was easy to navigate, you just had to remember to change to English audio and turn off subtitles every time you loaded up.

Really hope that this is a 1080/24p release. Just been re-watching BSG for the third time on BD. Great fraking series. Almost fin (I am up to S4Ep12) and I would love to cap off watching that fine series by watching Caprica in 1080p and at the correct speed…

As I am from a PAL country (Australia), I really hate PAL speed-up (really noticeable when listening to theme songs). Also I have found that the deeper the voice of a character in a movie or TV series, the more obvious the pitch is higher.
Eg. Noticeable with Admiral Adama? Yes. But, especially with Colonel Tigh for some reason. Fraking Cylons… Fraking PAL!

Streaming sucks!

Old 06-01-2015, 08:54 PM   #179

Dec 2009
Finland

I was going to buy the French release for a long time, but price never seemed to fall to a good level. So I'm really happy there's now a Nordic release coming.
Hope that Universal get the 1080p right after these couple of years
Old 06-22-2015, 12:31 PM   #180
Special Member

Jul 2012

Anyone got the German release yet. I am guessing it will be the same as the nordic release (being that the back cover for Nordic release states two choices of English or German menus & the audio is English DTS-HD MA and German DTS).

In other words, can anyone confirm 1080/24p yet.

Planning on importing from my local DVD/BD specialist store, but want to make sure they haven't frakked up the resolution yet again.

Streaming sucks!

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > France