COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
The Doctor and the Devils (Blu-ray)
$11.98
Sleepy Hollow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Justice League: War (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Monsters (Blu-ray)
$6.99
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$34.99
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Phantom of the Paradise (Blu-ray)
$18.99
Fantastic Four / Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Rio 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
It's a Disaster (Blu-ray)
$18.52
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Transformers Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.24
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Soundgarden: Superunknown (Blu-ray)
$70.43

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 09-05-2014, 10:46 PM   #1721
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

It's the atmosphere more than anything that gets me. Other horror movies I laughed at when I was a kid, but this one scared the shit out of me. You could argue that nothing much even happens in it - heck, it's a bit like Halloween in that it's more about building up those sensations of fear and dread and not so much about the kills themselves. Michael Myers is like a one-man Fog, coming and going as he pleases, melting away into bushes like he was never there.
Thanks given by:
HeavyHitter (09-05-2014)
Old 09-05-2014, 10:50 PM   #1722
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks-------------------------->87 SteelBooks--------->126 UV-------->249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
It's the atmosphere more than anything that gets me. Other horror movies I laughed at when I was a kid, but this one scared the shit out of me. You could argue that nothing much even happens in it - heck, it's a bit like Halloween in that it's more about building up those sensations of fear and dread and not so much about the kills themselves. Michael Myers is like a one-man Fog, coming and going as he pleases, melting away into bushes like he was never there.
That last scene with Blake at the church is one of the most intense in horror film history and I love every bit of it.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:52 PM   #1723
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

That's it man, just when you think it's safe....dude loses his head.

I love The Fog.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:56 PM   #1724
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks-------------------------->87 SteelBooks--------->126 UV-------->249

Quote:
That's it man, just when you think it's safe....dude loses his head.

I love The Fog.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:56 PM   #1725
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Dat music......so good.......
Old 09-05-2014, 10:59 PM   #1726
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010

Quote:
Dat music......so good.......
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (09-05-2014)
Old 09-05-2014, 11:13 PM   #1727
Power Member

Oct 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefactory View Post
I have tried a few times with this movie and thought that seeing it in HD instead of the old MGM dvd might improve things, but alas, I just don't like this movie very much. It just seems haphazard, none of the characters have much personality, and the ghosts are vaguely defined and boring and somehow their slasher-style murders make them LESS threatening rather than if they'd just been supernatural. I don't really know what my problem is, I thoroughly enjoy plenty of crappier-made horror movies from the same period. I am also a big fan of every single other theatrical movie John Carpenter directed from Assault on Precinct 13 through They Live, but for some reason this one just won't click. I feel like I must be missing something! Prince of Darkness I hated on first watch and loved on second, but this one still fails to elicit anything other than a hearty MEH. Maybe the 4th time will be the charm!?

The extras on this disc, however, are great, so I definitely don't regret buying it. The interview with Jamie Lee Curtis in particular. I was not expecting her to discuss Halloween and everything else she did between it and Death of a Centerfold, and I really was not expecting her to be so frank about everything. I really like how she comes off, in particular when she's talking about Halloween II. The interview with Dean Cundey is also great since it discusses every movie he did with John Carpenter instead of just this one. And of course, the commentary and doc ported over from the MGM dvd are still good. I'll have to watch this one with the new commentary.
I've always felt The Fog wasn't a good movie and was perhaps John Carpenter's most overrated flick. It has some merits, but largely it just bored me. Even JLC didn't think much of it in the interview! I am a big fan of Carpenter though so I own it.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:19 PM   #1728
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Columbia, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
Love the ending! Everything about it....except how much does that cross weigh again?
Old 09-06-2014, 02:38 AM   #1729

Sep 2011

Quote:
Agreed. Carpenter knows how to do atmosphere. That shot of the old ship witnessed by one of the doomed sailors still kills me. I always wanted to see more of it and it's likely because it's barely shown.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:35 AM   #1730
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2013
UK, south

One of the few Carpenter films I have yet to see. Shame the UK blu ray looks like rubbish.
Always outnumbered never outgunned
Old 09-06-2014, 09:55 AM   #1731
Power Member

Feb 2011
USA

The Fog is one of my favorite John Carpenter films. There is also a very good reason to love this movie.
Adrienne Barbeau at her hottest.
The Ghostbusters earned their Stripes and to relax decided to go play golf, but got locked in the Caddyshack by the Gopher with The Blues Brothers who are hiding from a Dragnet but luckily they all escaped to The Great Outdoors, where they met a ranger who turned out to be The Man Who Knew Too Little because everything he said was Lost In Translation.

Last edited by Rich65; 09-06-2014 at 10:04 AM.
Thanks given by:
cropsy (09-06-2014)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America