Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Ice Age 4 Movie Set (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Ghost in the Shell: Arise: Borders 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$27.23
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Vincent Price Collection II (Blu-ray)
$59.76
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Ace Ventura: Pet Detective / Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Congo (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Dragon Ball Z: Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$17.98
How to Train Your Dragon 2 (Blu-ray)
$19.98
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
America: Imagine the World Without Her (Blu-ray)
$13.28
Star Trek: The Next Generation Motion Picture Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.21
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies

Old 01-20-2013, 11:53 PM   #1

Dec 2008
Default Do you double-dip for all 3D re-releases?

Guys, I'm just curious... I just got a 3D TV and I'm in the urge to watch everything in 3D now All movies that were released as 3D combo packs, I got 'em. But for titles as Toy Story, Monsters Inc, Top Gun, Up etc, if you already have the 2D edition, do you always end up getting the 3D release as well? I'd like to know... Tks!
Old 01-21-2013, 12:13 AM   #2

Apr 2008

i double dipped on alice in wonderland, avatar, beauty and the beast, coraline, nightmare before xmas, polar express (anaglyph 3d version), monster house, and got the toy story 3d-only box to add to the 2d combos i already have, but i'm not getting monsters inc, top gun, irobot, up, or anything else that is converted or could be re-released (i only have monsters inc and up out of those 4). to be honest, i wouldn't have double dipped on the ones i had either EXCEPT that i traded them in at moviestop with the "trade 2 blu get 1 new release blu free" deal which gives you a lot of value. but i'm glad that i did

Last edited by aaaa6344; 01-21-2013 at 12:15 AM.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:17 AM   #3

Nov 2011
Oshawa, Ontario
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by femogan View Post
Guys, I'm just curious... I just got a 3D TV and I'm in the urge to watch everything in 3D now All movies that were released as 3D combo packs, I got 'em. But for titles as Toy Story, Monsters Inc, Top Gun, Up etc, if you already have the 2D edition, do you always end up getting the 3D release as well? I'd like to know... Tks!
I love 3d as well and whenever a movie comes out in 3d i previously had I always sell my 2d version and pick up the 3d! I have slight addiction but I cant see myself ever buying those crappy german conversons (running scared 3d among many others) I have built a nice 3d collection that way with something for everyone. 3d me
Old 01-21-2013, 12:27 AM   #4

Apr 2008

Yeah basically if it's a movie i really like that's re-released in 3d, i'll get it. But if it's something that's just pretty good and already part of the collection i'll let it slide (like monsters inc or up). I wouldn't get a german conversion either tho. And yeah I would get rid of the extra copy too...no reason to have 2 copies when you can have 2 different movies lol.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:09 AM   #5
Special Member

Aug 2011

I didn't start really collecting blu's until around the time 3D Blu-Ray came out. I don't think I've had to double dip with the exception of Avatar.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:20 AM   #6

Dec 2011

In most cases I will, however I wont just buy it because it is 3D. I will buy a duplicate if it is going to add something to my experience whilst watching it.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:13 PM   #7

Oct 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaaa6344 View Post
Yeah basically if it's a movie i really like that's re-released in 3d, i'll get it. But if it's something that's just pretty good and already part of the collection i'll let it slide (like monsters inc or up). I wouldn't get a german conversion either tho. And yeah I would get rid of the extra copy too...no reason to have 2 copies when you can have 2 different movies lol.
I agree, it depends on the movie. Luckily, most of the 3D titles I have purchased, I didn't have on blu-ray. I have double dipped on the Avengers and trying to decide to double dip on I, Robot. Usually if I already have it, I will pass on the 3D version.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:11 PM   #8

Jul 2009

I'm upgrading everything...slowly.

My goal is to have every U.S. 3D theatrical release on Blu! This includes the 3 region free releases you can't get here ("Battle For Terra", "The Hole" & "Shark Night 3D"). Have "Terra" and working on "Shark Night"!
Old 01-21-2013, 05:35 PM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mao View Post
I'm upgrading everything...slowly.

My goal is to have every U.S. 3D theatrical release on Blu! This includes the 3 region free releases you can't get here ("Battle For Terra", "The Hole" & "Shark Night 3D"). Have "Terra" and working on "Shark Night"!
I wish they would release Terra 3D and Shark Night 3D in the states! More so Terra.

It depends on the movie and how good the 3D is (I rely on user reviews for this..you know, you guys!) before I double dip.
My mancave:

Displays - Sony Bravia 3D 55HX800, Epson 3D 3020 (124")
Players - Sony BDP-S570, Sony BDP-S590
Game system - Sony PS3 320GB
Computer - Mac 27" i5 1 terabyte hdd (1 terabyte back up hdd)
Portable Devices - iPad (4th gen A6 64GB), MacBook Pro (17" i5 500GB), iPod Touch (5th gen A5 32GB)

Last edited by Taygan315; 01-21-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:17 PM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2011
Worcester, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vico View Post
I agree, it depends on the movie. Luckily, most of the 3D titles I have purchased, I didn't have on blu-ray. I have double dipped on the Avengers and trying to decide to double dip on I, Robot. Usually if I already have it, I will pass on the 3D version.
Dude don't bother with I, Robot 3D unless you LOVE the movie. there is some midly effective 3D during the action, but overall it's pretty flat and as a double dip, you'd probably be disappointed.

I'll give it one more rewatch at some point then will probably sell or trade my copy.
Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

3D FAN

Instagram: levcore

Steelbooks Looking to trade (unsealed): Green Lantern HMV Exclusive, Chronicle Play Exclusive, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 1, Enders Game HMV Exclusive.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:31 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2008
Leek, Staffordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by femogan View Post
Yep...every time...and then sell my 2D or try to at least
Old 01-21-2013, 11:05 PM   #12

Jan 2009
Liverpool New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNickUK View Post
Yep...every time...and then sell my 2D or try to at least
Same with me.Unless the reviews are just horrible i upgrade and try to recoup what i can out of the old one.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:16 PM   #13

Oct 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by levcore View Post
Dude don't bother with I, Robot 3D unless you LOVE the movie. there is some midly effective 3D during the action, but overall it's pretty flat and as a double dip, you'd probably be disappointed.

I'll give it one more rewatch at some point then will probably sell or trade my copy.
Thanks for the heads up!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies