Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Fantastic Mr. Fox (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Da Vinci's Demons: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole / Hugo (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Book Thief (Blu-ray)
$11.99
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Parts 1 & 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Rushmore (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Van Damme 5-Movie Action Pack (Blu-ray)
$30.99
Under The Sea / Deep Sea (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Royal Tenenbaums (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection (Blu-ray)
$55.49
Journey to the Center of the Earth 3D / Journey 2: The Mysterious Island 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2015, 10:47 PM   #301
Starpower67 Starpower67 is offline
Expert Member
 
Starpower67's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
125
94
Default

I think it was a good movie and I enjoyed it for what it was. However I think the novel was better though, and I was disappointed that a film titled from the book would have such a major deviation. It felt like they took the reincarnation love element straight from the original Mummy film. Even though that element was never present in the original novel it seems like every adaption of Dracula since has used that element including the disappointing recent TV series.
Who is more foolish? The fool? Or the fool who follows him?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 03:59 PM   #302
ditcin ditcin is offline
Senior Member
 
ditcin's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
NY
368
1
Default

Producers and directors seem to feel if the love story element, reincarnation elements is exemplified so is the sympathy for the Count. Where in the novel he is simply evil. Why that approach is most ignored has become common place in cinema.
Every evil character must now have a grey area or background story for being that way and not be just evil.
Morality used to play "the" moving part of the narrative in these stories - like most of the Hammer films. Evil is evil. Simple. The acts committed by characters is what causes them to be judged as wrong, or bad, or evil.
Horror films, films in general, have become little more than Psychology 101 with bad parents or childhoods creating sympathy for the villain.
People used to aspire to be good, better, and ethical. Now it's okay to be less. Standards have sunken, and stories of virtue and morality are not acceptable.

Even in the original FRIGHT NIGHT the vampire has a seemingly reincarnate love interest - yet, he gleefully leaves a stake with her boyfriend to finish her off. His attraction of reminded love is over shadowed by his dark nature. He is what he is and deserves to be destroyed. His feelings may at one time been valid, but he has been corrupted and consumed and changed by the darkness he has become. Whatever good was part of him is nothing more than inlets and maneuvers to taunt and manipulate humans to their end. Twisting and using those standards and feelings is an evil thing and what makes him a monster.
Samsung 55" OLED KN55S9C
Marantz SR7009,
Oppo BDP-103
11.2 System w/Clark Synthesis TST429 Platinum Tactile Transducer, Mirage Speakers (7) OMD-5, (2) Nanosat® Prestige for Atmos
Axiom Subwoofer EP600
X-Box One, WiiU

Last edited by ditcin; 02-18-2015 at 04:08 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:29 PM   #303
filmmusic filmmusic is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
filmmusic's Avatar
 
Sep 2010
Athens, Greece
153
1
1
Default

Every time I check this thread, I hope for news of a remaster!
Most wanted Blurays: All classic Disney animation films restored to their original look (with grain), without any re-imagining, Raintree County, Star Wars OT, Sissi Trilogy, Spacecamp, Spacehunter: adventures in the forbidden zone, Maurice, Explorers, Mayerling, Supergirl, Free Willy, Return to Oz, True Lies, Abyss, King Solomon's Mines/Allan Quatermain and the lost city of gold, Death in Venice, Wilde, Ulysses 31, Ducktales, Candy Candy (anime series)
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:52 PM   #304
MacEachaidh MacEachaidh is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
MacEachaidh's Avatar
 
Aug 2011
Edge of the Accretion Disc
609
26
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmmusic View Post
Every time I check this thread, I hope for news of a remaster!
I know what you mean, matey. Even though the best thing about it is arguably the score, a better video transfer certainly would be a kindness.

I've just been watching another film that I really enjoy despite its flaws -- Tim Burton's version of Planet of the Apes -- and it reminded me there are a lot of similar commercially-disappointing films that are quite poorly served by being early BD releases, and that could really do with a visit from the remaster pixies.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:58 PM   #305
HeavyHitter HeavyHitter is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
HeavyHitter's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
16
Default

I'm not sure what to think of the transfer.

It's soft, different color timing, but supposedly Copolla's 'guy' approved it.

I think it looks acceptable although not ideal. But is it a source issue? I know opticals and such were used that can give it the look it has. I didn't think it looked poor projected and it maintained a reasonable analog look, but it didn't look 'great. I would like to see it remastered.
JVC DLA-RS4810 front projector (ISF pro-cal'd)
Stewart StudioTek 100, CinemaScope 9 foot wide screen
Samsung 51" F5300B plasma (ISF pro-cal'd)
Oppo BDP-983 & BDP-103D Blu-ray player
Denon AVR-X3000 (Audyssey pro-cal'd)
Definitive Technology Pro Monitor 1000 (fronts)
Definitive Technology Pro Monitor 800 (surrounds x 4)
HSU VTF-15H sub
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:04 PM   #306
Clark Kent Clark Kent is offline
Blu-ray Duke
 
Clark Kent's Avatar
 
Oct 2007
Metropolis
2
138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditcin View Post
Producers and directors seem to feel if the love story element, reincarnation elements is exemplified so is the sympathy for the Count. Where in the novel he is simply evil. Why that approach is most ignored has become common place in cinema.
Every evil character must now have a grey area or background story for being that way and not be just evil.
Morality used to play "the" moving part of the narrative in these stories - like most of the Hammer films. Evil is evil. Simple. The acts committed by characters is what causes them to be judged as wrong, or bad, or evil.
Horror films, films in general, have become little more than Psychology 101 with bad parents or childhoods creating sympathy for the villain.
People used to aspire to be good, better, and ethical. Now it's okay to be less. Standards have sunken, and stories of virtue and morality are not acceptable.

Even in the original FRIGHT NIGHT the vampire has a seemingly reincarnate love interest - yet, he gleefully leaves a stake with her boyfriend to finish her off. His attraction of reminded love is over shadowed by his dark nature. He is what he is and deserves to be destroyed. His feelings may at one time been valid, but he has been corrupted and consumed and changed by the darkness he has become. Whatever good was part of him is nothing more than inlets and maneuvers to taunt and manipulate humans to their end. Twisting and using those standards and feelings is an evil thing and what makes him a monster.
Hollywood now believes that straight moral choices between good and evil don't sell very well to today's youth. The only people allowed to be truly evil anymore in new movies are the Nazis. Every other antagonist has to be a sympathetic villain on some level.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:01 PM   #307
StingingVelvet StingingVelvet is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
StingingVelvet's Avatar
 
Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA
376
105
27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHitter View Post
I'm not sure what to think of the transfer.

It's soft, different color timing, but supposedly Copolla's 'guy' approved it.

I think it looks acceptable although not ideal. But is it a source issue? I know opticals and such were used that can give it the look it has. I didn't think it looked poor projected and it maintained a reasonable analog look, but it didn't look 'great. I would like to see it remastered.
It's an endless debate on here. A lot of people think it looks like it does on purpose and will never look much better. A lot of others think it's a flawed, crappy transfer. No one but Zoetrope employees probably know for sure.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:11 PM   #308
octagon octagon is online now
Blu-ray Champion
 
octagon's Avatar
 
Jun 2010
Chicago
1379
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starpower67 View Post
I think it was a good movie and I enjoyed it for what it was. However I think the novel was better though, and I was disappointed that a film titled from the book would have such a major deviation. It felt like they took the reincarnation love element straight from the original Mummy film. Even though that element was never present in the original novel it seems like every adaption of Dracula since has used that element including the disappointing recent TV series.
Let's give credit where credit is due. Coppola wasn't ripping off The Mummy, he was ripping off Dark Shadows
And I have been fortunate to escape what has been called “that form of snobbery which can accept the Literature of Entertainment in the Past, but only the Literature of the Enlightenment in the Present.” - Raymond Chandler

'Course I'm respectable. I'm old. Politicians, ugly buildings, and whor*s all get respectable if they last long enough. - Noah Cross
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:16 PM   #309
Brett C Brett C is offline
Special Member
 
Brett C's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
In the Home Theater
27
2147
500
12
44
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by octagon View Post
Let's give credit where credit is due. Coppola wasn't ripping off The Mummy, he was ripping off Dark Shadows
Including the Dan Curtis directed Dracula from 1973.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:22 PM   #310
octagon octagon is online now
Blu-ray Champion
 
octagon's Avatar
 
Jun 2010
Chicago
1379
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett C View Post
Including the Dan Curtis directed Dracula from 1973.
Yup, the Barnabas Collins similarities were always obvious but I had no idea this even existed until a year or three ago. When I finally watched it I started laughing. I went from thinking they sort of ripped off Dan Curtis to thinking there was absolutely no 'sort of' about it.

And while we're on the subject of the genius of Dan Curtis - Anne Rice rightly gets a lot of credit (or blame, depending on ones outlook) for seeing vampires as angst-ridden anti-heroes but once again, Barnabas Collins was decades ahead of that curve.
And I have been fortunate to escape what has been called “that form of snobbery which can accept the Literature of Entertainment in the Past, but only the Literature of the Enlightenment in the Present.” - Raymond Chandler

'Course I'm respectable. I'm old. Politicians, ugly buildings, and whor*s all get respectable if they last long enough. - Noah Cross

Last edited by octagon; 02-18-2015 at 10:28 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:30 PM   #311
warrian warrian is offline
Senior Member
 
warrian's Avatar
 
Feb 2013
American Midwest
1625
336
1
Default

Bram Stoker's Dracula Blu-ray: They crushed it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:57 PM   #312
Starpower67 Starpower67 is offline
Expert Member
 
Starpower67's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
125
94
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by octagon View Post
Yup, the Barnabas Collins similarities were always obvious but I had no idea this even existed until a year or three ago. When I finally watched it I started laughing. I went from thinking they sort of ripped off Dan Curtis to thinking there was absolutely no 'sort of' about it.

And while we're on the subject of the genius of Dan Curtis - Anne Rice rightly gets a lot of credit (or blame, depending on ones outlook) for seeing vampires as angst-ridden anti-heroes but once again, Barnabas Collins was decades ahead of that curve.
While it's true that Ann Rice's novel did introduce the angst element and it became pretty main stream after that. The thing I always appreciated about her novels was the fact that the central theme was generally about vampires relationship with other vampires. Which isn't very common it modern vampire films. They seem to always emphasize the vampire falling in love with a human, forbidden love aspect like this movie.
Who is more foolish? The fool? Or the fool who follows him?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:07 PM   #313
Starpower67 Starpower67 is offline
Expert Member
 
Starpower67's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
125
94
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditcin View Post
Producers and directors seem to feel if the love story element, reincarnation elements is exemplified so is the sympathy for the Count. Where in the novel he is simply evil. Why that approach is most ignored has become common place in cinema.
Every evil character must now have a grey area or background story for being that way and not be just evil.
Morality used to play "the" moving part of the narrative in these stories - like most of the Hammer films. Evil is evil. Simple. The acts committed by characters is what causes them to be judged as wrong, or bad, or evil.
Horror films, films in general, have become little more than Psychology 101 with bad parents or childhoods creating sympathy for the villain.
People used to aspire to be good, better, and ethical. Now it's okay to be less. Standards have sunken, and stories of virtue and morality are not acceptable.

Even in the original FRIGHT NIGHT the vampire has a seemingly reincarnate love interest - yet, he gleefully leaves a stake with her boyfriend to finish her off. His attraction of reminded love is over shadowed by his dark nature. He is what he is and deserves to be destroyed. His feelings may at one time been valid, but he has been corrupted and consumed and changed by the darkness he has become. Whatever good was part of him is nothing more than inlets and maneuvers to taunt and manipulate humans to their end. Twisting and using those standards and feelings is an evil thing and what makes him a monster.
I loved the original Fright Night, but I always felt that reincarnation love element was so out of place with the tone of that film and I was relieved when it was cut in the remake. I don't want to seem like I'm bashing this film as I do really like it. My biggest problem with it is the same as many others which is simply the fact that it calls itself Bram Stoker's Dracula when it added an element that wasn't from the books and makes it the central theme of the movie. If they had called it something else I wouldn't have minded that one bit. I also am just a little disappointment that this reincarnation love story caught on so much in Hollywood that almost every other interpretation felt the need to include it. It makes me doubt whether there will ever be a faithful adaption of the novel. I think the new Fright Night is actually a great example of making a vampire film scary again without feeling the need to make the vampire sympathetic. The key is who's point of view you tell the story from, for example the original novel was seen from the other characters points of view not Dracula.
Who is more foolish? The fool? Or the fool who follows him?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:22 PM   #314
octagon octagon is online now
Blu-ray Champion
 
octagon's Avatar
 
Jun 2010
Chicago
1379
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starpower67 View Post
While it's true that Ann Rice's novel did introduce the angst element and it became pretty main stream after that. The thing I always appreciated about her novels was the fact that the central theme was generally about vampires relationship with other vampires. Which isn't very common it modern vampire films. They seem to always emphasize the vampire falling in love with a human, forbidden love aspect like this movie.
I wasn't knocking her. I've read just about all of her supernatural stuff and a lot of it's very good. I mean, sure, you can't write fifty 500 page books without getting a little repetitive (just ask Stephen King) but she does a pretty good job overall. And I was very surprised - and more than a little impressed - when her meta approach to explaining the roots/origins of various supernatural entities almost to the cellular level actually worked.

And I don't really think anybody ripped off Dan Curtis (though Coppola did come pretty freaking close).

I just think it's interesting (and amusing) that a soap-opera gimmick was not only wildly popular at the time but foreshadowed a fairly significant shift in vampire mythology.
And I have been fortunate to escape what has been called “that form of snobbery which can accept the Literature of Entertainment in the Past, but only the Literature of the Enlightenment in the Present.” - Raymond Chandler

'Course I'm respectable. I'm old. Politicians, ugly buildings, and whor*s all get respectable if they last long enough. - Noah Cross
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Similar Threads
thread Forum Thread Starter Replies Last Post
Bram Stoker's Dracula Blu-ray Movies - North America bladelia 22 10-03-2009 11:45 PM
STAY AWAY from Bram Stoker's Dracula!!! Blu-ray Movies - North America dealonward 2 01-21-2008 03:51 AM
Bram Stoker's Dracula - Dialog Blu-ray Movies - North America GreenMotion 21 10-14-2007 09:56 PM
Any news on Bram Stoker's Dracula on blu-ray? Blu-ray Movies - North America Kinmui 6 05-27-2007 03:43 PM


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:15 AM.