Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Sicario (Blu-ray)
$4.00

Supergirl: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Blockers (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Ash vs Evil Dead: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Home from the Hill (Blu-ray)
$13.99
8 hrs ago
Tag (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Pacific Rim: Uprising (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Truth or Dare (Blu-ray)
$11.99

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Tenth Season (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Star Trek: Discovery - Season One (Blu-ray)
$43.27

Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Torso (Blu-ray)
$29.33
15 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 05-27-2015, 10:51 PM   #1

Jul 2008
Default Focal speaker questions?

I have always been a Definitive technology fan, and owner but I am thinking of a change to Focal speaker[on the low end of course, I'm not a pro athlete].
Anyway I have Mythos ones as mains, CLR2000 center, SM55's surrounds and a Supercube II that I will not be replacing just now with this possible move to Focal. I am thinking of replacing that system for Chorus 726 mains, Chorus CC700 center, and Chorus 706 bookshelf's for surrounds.
What do you think of this move, and what do you think about the Focal system I might put together? You think this is a vast improvement over what I have now? Overall what do you think of Focal chorus line speakers? My listening is 75% movies/25% music [multi-channel/stereo and DPLII] Thanks for any help at all or advice.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:15 PM   #2

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.H. View Post
I have always been a Definitive technology fan, and owner but I am thinking of a change to Focal speaker[on the low end of course, I'm not a pro athlete].
Anyway I have Mythos ones as mains, CLR2000 center, SM55's surrounds and a Supercube II that I will not be replacing just now with this possible move to Focal. I am thinking of replacing that system for Chorus 726 mains, Chorus CC700 center, and Chorus 706 bookshelf's for surrounds.
What do you think of this move, and what do you think about the Focal system I might put together? You think this is a vast improvement over what I have now? Overall what do you think of Focal chorus line speakers? My listening is 75% movies/25% music [multi-channel/stereo and DPLII] Thanks for any help at all or advice.
Focal's are great speakers...really great, however, to get a marked improvement over the Mythos One's and company - you will have to move up the Focal line. You need to go to the Aria 900 line to see an improvement over what you already have ...and the DT's just dig deeper all the way around. You'll kick yourself with the Chorus line (great speakers but the Mythos out class them), step up to the Aria and you will see the marked change that you are looking for...IMHO
Infinity Comp Prelude P-FR, Infinity Comp Overture 1 - center & front hght and sides, Infinity fps-1000 rear and rear hght, Infinity Outrigger Jr. overheads, 2 AE AV15 Power Cube subwoofers, SVS 16-46 CS (X2) 2 DCM Subs (rear), Denon AVR-X4300H (front hght and Prepro), Yamaha MX-830 (rear hght), B&K 200.7 Reference Amp, Behringer NU4-6000 (subs),miniDSP 2X4, BD HTPC, Tube DAC, NAS 20tb , 16:9 110", Vivitek hk2288 4k proj, TCL Roku 4K TV.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:43 PM   #3
Contributor

Apr 2009
Corner Totem Rd. and Sugden Ave., Arcam Shire

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
Focal's are great speakers...really great, however, to get a marked improvement over the Mythos One's and company - you will have to move up the Focal line. You need to go to the Aria 900 line to see an improvement over what you already have ...and the DT's just dig deeper all the way around. You'll kick yourself with the Chorus line (great speakers but the Mythos out class them), step up to the Aria and you will see the marked change that you are looking for...IMHO
I think I agree with you David, the Def Tech mythos are great with HT applications. even if they were a slight improvement this would mean you would have bought Mythos and Chorus 700 to end up with Chorus 700 series. That's a lot of money for a pair of Chorus, imagine what you could actually get for the price of both speaker on the market. I say wait and get a better speaker. The Arias are not bad at all and they have a lot of new technologies in them.
Olivier
Panasonic TC-65CX800U 4K
Oppo BDP-203 4K, Bel Canto 3.5vb DAC
,Anthem MRX 520 Receiver, Naim 250DR /NAC272, Totem Fires Dusk L/R on Target MR20, Dynaudio C-30, Totem Tribe III Dusk on wall Center, Totem Mites Dusk Surrounds, JL Audio Fathom f113 Gloss Black. Naim NACA5, Nordost, Bis Audio, Audioquest
, Totem Forest Signature.
Wadia 151 Power DAC Mini, Dynaudio X-18.

Old 05-28-2015, 06:59 PM   #4
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2008
Riverside, CA

Except the FR measured by stereophile of the Mythos STS, which show they actually dig deeper then the Mythos 1s, roll off at 32hz almost instantly.... And they're rated at 16hz.

I'm just saying.
Video: Samsung 60" 4K SUHD TV UN60JS8000, Oppo BDP-103, DirecTv HD, AppleTV
Amplification: Marantz SR5010, NaimUniti 2 Integrated Amp
2-CH: NaimUniti 2 Streaming Integrated Amp, Apple Mac Mini, JRiver, Tidal
Speakers: Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210 C, DM 2/6
Subwoofer:
Hsu VTF3 MK5 HP
Old 05-28-2015, 07:09 PM   #5
Contributor

Apr 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
Except the FR measured by stereophile of the Mythos STS, which show they actually dig deeper then the Mythos 1s, roll off at 32hz almost instantly.... And they're rated at 16hz.

I'm just saying.
And your point being?

They still dig lower than the Focal Chorus series. Now I do not have any actual measurements for the Chorus but from experience I don't think they even go to 32hz.

Regardless Steve you know the FR is just half the story and I don't think the OP should go from the Mythos to the Chorus 700 series.
Olivier
Panasonic TC-65CX800U 4K
,Anthem MRX 520 Receiver, Naim 250DR /NAC272, Totem Fires Dusk L/R on Target MR20, Dynaudio C-30, Totem Tribe III Dusk on wall Center, Totem Mites Dusk Surrounds, JL Audio Fathom f113 Gloss Black. Naim NACA5, Nordost, Bis Audio, Audioquest

Thanks given by:
prerich (05-28-2015)
Old 05-28-2015, 07:10 PM   #6
Contributor

Apr 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl87 View Post
And your point being?

They still dig lower than the Focal Chorus series. Now I do not have any actual measurements for the Chorus but from experience I don't think they even go to 32hz.

Regardless Steve you know the FR is just half the story and I don't think the OP should go from the Mythos to the Chorus 700 series.
Would be more less sort of a lateral move.
Olivier
Panasonic TC-65CX800U 4K

Old 05-28-2015, 07:59 PM   #7

Dec 2007

Quote:
And your point being?

Agreed Al, I've heard the Chorus at length when I owned my Snell E-II's - they couldn't dig anywhere as deep as the Snell (and that was the Chorus 8 series). The Def Tech BP-6'S could dig deeper than the Chorus series. I wouldn't spend that type of coin on the 700 series if I owned Mythos 1's, I'd be looking at a true upgrade....900 series or higher.

If the OP is just looking for a different sound profile (better known as speaker voicing) I'd do some listening and take them home if the dealer let me. I would, however, make sure that what I purchased would be a substantial upgrade.
Infinity Comp Prelude P-FR, Infinity Comp Overture 1 - center & front hght and sides, Infinity fps-1000 rear and rear hght, Infinity Outrigger Jr. overheads, 2 AE AV15 Power Cube subwoofers, SVS 16-46 CS (X2) 2 DCM Subs (rear), Denon AVR-X4300H (front hght and Prepro), Yamaha MX-830 (rear hght), B&K 200.7 Reference Amp, Behringer NU4-6000 (subs),miniDSP 2X4, BD HTPC, Tube DAC, NAS 20tb , 16:9 110", Vivitek hk2288 4k proj, TCL Roku 4K TV.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:02 PM   #8

Dec 2007

Quote:
Would be more less sort of a lateral move.
I'd go as far to say that 800's would be a lateral move
Old 05-28-2015, 08:52 PM   #9

Jul 2008

Well I am quite surprised by the answers here. I thought every one would say any of the Focal speaker lines would blow away my current Def Tech set up. I gotta say I am quite surprised , truly surprised actually. What do the Focal Chorus 800 and 900 series go for price wise? The reason I was focused on Focal was because I heard the inverted tweeter on the lower end speakers like the chorus line are stunning. I wish the Mythos ST-L weren't so expensive because they look like insane speakers. I have read great things about them.
Hey here is a question I have asked before and I am dying to know because no one answered. Does anyone know who/what company supplies Definitive technology driver, woofers and tweeters? I have always been curious about that. Thanks for all the answers, HUGE thanks if anyone can answer that last question.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:25 PM   #10
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2008
Riverside, CA

Quote:
And your point being?

my point was that David said the DTs dug deeper, and I was just pointing out that they dont dig as deep as their marketing spec try to maintain.
Video: Samsung 60" 4K SUHD TV UN60JS8000, Oppo BDP-103, DirecTv HD, AppleTV
Amplification: Marantz SR5010, NaimUniti 2 Integrated Amp
2-CH: NaimUniti 2 Streaming Integrated Amp, Apple Mac Mini, JRiver, Tidal
Speakers: Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210 C, DM 2/6
Subwoofer:
Hsu VTF3 MK5 HP
Old 05-29-2015, 01:43 AM   #11
Contributor

Apr 2009

Quote:
my point was that David said the DTs dug deeper, and I was just pointing out that they dont dig as deep as their marketing spec try to maintain.
OK the opposite of what Dyns and Totems are doing basically in terms of specs.

Well nonetheless no way the Focals dig deeper.

OP you are certainly right about voicing and maybe better x-over than the def tech, for music I would say maybe it's worth it but what we are trying to say here in my case at least is it would be a very expensive pair of chorus for you to have and for the price of the Chorus and the Mythos combine, that makes it a very expensive speaker for some Chorus 700.

I'd wait and bite the bullet and aim strait for the Aria 900 where Focal packed up a lot of new Technologies in their drivers with the Sandwich cones also you could fine on the older Chorus 800W but not the Vs.

Then you would see a significant upgrade in terms of voicing and x-over, resolution and musicality plus the Aria digs lower than the 700.
Olivier
Panasonic TC-65CX800U 4K

Old 05-29-2015, 07:54 AM   #12

Jul 2008

Quote:

OP you are certainly right about voicing and maybe better x-over than the def tech, for music I would say maybe it's worth it but what we are trying to say here in my case at least is it would be a very expensive pair of chorus for you to have and for the price of the Chorus and the Mythos combine, that makes it a very expensive speaker for some Chorus 700.

I'd wait and bite the bullet and aim strait for the Aria 900 where Focal packed up a lot of new Technologies in their drivers with the Sandwich cones also you could fine on the older Chorus 800W but not the Vs.

Then you would see a significant upgrade in terms of voicing and x-over, resolution and musicality plus the Aria digs lower than the 700.
OK, I guess I'm following now. Would going to a store and listening to the 700 and Arias help me? Problem I have morally with that is I'm not gonna buy them from that store most likely. The Arias are super expensive right? Are Focals sold on Ebay I never even looked? Thanks for all the help.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:34 PM   #13

Dec 2007

Quote:
That's true-but what I was saying is that they dig deeper than the Focals did ....not claiming that their marketing specs were true It's all good Callas01
Old 05-29-2015, 12:36 PM   #14

Dec 2007

Quote:

Agreed, agreed, agreed!!!!!!! Threefold!!!!!!
Old 05-29-2015, 12:37 PM   #15

Dec 2007

Quote:
OK, I guess I'm following now. Would going to a store and listening to the 700 and Arias help me? Problem I have morally with that is I'm not gonna buy them from that store most likely. The Arias are super expensive right? Are Focals sold on Ebay I never even looked? Thanks for all the help.
Yes!!! Listening always helps! Something like Focals...unless you are buying them used, always...always buy from a authorized dealer!
Old 05-29-2015, 09:07 PM   #16

Jul 2008

I was convinced by you guys, and others to stay with Def Tech. Even a dealer that sells both brands basically said so. They said the ST-L speakers are a clear upgrade that I would hear right away. They weren't even real keen on upgrade results in going from Mythos Ones to STS. I got a great price on the ST-L speakers, 800 off, but still too much really. I'm flirting with the idea of replacing my sub SCII with a SVS PB12 Plus. That might be the best idea performance and cost effectiveness. Any ideas?
Speaking of SVS, what is the diff between ported and sealed? Which is better? Thanks again.
Old 05-30-2015, 01:59 AM   #17
Contributor

Apr 2009

Quote:
I was convinced by you guys, and others to stay with Def Tech. Even a dealer that sells both brands basically said so. They said the ST-L speakers are a clear upgrade that I would hear right away. They weren't even real keen on upgrade results in going from Mythos Ones to STS. I got a great price on the ST-L speakers, 800 off, but still too much really. I'm flirting with the idea of replacing my sub SCII with a SVS PB12 Plus. That might be the best idea performance and cost effectiveness. Any ideas?
Speaking of SVS, what is the diff between ported and sealed? Which is better? Thanks again.
Generally speaking sealed will give you the most linear sound, the best db curve vs the ported box but they usually give up 3db vs a ported box. If you look for speed and Accuracy I 'd say go for a sealed sub. If you like boom and loud impact go for a ported sub. Love my sealed box JL since it has all the speed and accuracy you can dream of with a large impact since it has a long throw woofer and the sub is 13.5inches but the same woofer in a ported box would be totally insane.

If I would buy an SVS sub it would be the SB-13 Ultra. Other people like loud boomy bass with lots of impact than they go ported but the ported subs take up a lot of space.
Olivier
Panasonic TC-65CX800U 4K

Last edited by BigAl87; 05-30-2015 at 02:43 AM.
Thanks given by:
prerich (05-30-2015)
Old 05-30-2015, 10:27 AM   #18

Jul 2008

Quote:
Generally speaking sealed will give you the most linear sound, the best db curve vs the ported box but they usually give up 3db vs a ported box. If you look for speed and Accuracy I 'd say go for a sealed sub. If you like boom and loud impact go for a ported sub. Love my sealed box JL since it has all the speed and accuracy you can dream of with a large impact since it has a long throw woofer and the sub is 13.5inches but the same woofer in a ported box would be totally insane.

If I would buy an SVS sub it would be the SB-13 Ultra. Other people like loud boomy bass with lots of impact than they go ported but the ported subs take up a lot of space.
Thanks a lot. I am like you then, I like speed and accuracy over boom and loud. I like that explanation. I'll go with sealed then.
Thanks given by:
BigAl87 (05-30-2015)
Old 05-30-2015, 02:17 PM   #19

Dec 2007

Quote:

He speaketh the truth
Thanks given by:
BigAl87 (05-30-2015)
Old 05-30-2015, 03:47 PM   #20
Contributor

Apr 2009

Quote:
Yes then you could find out what improvements Focal has made on the higher end 900 over the Chorus.
Olivier
Panasonic TC-65CX800U 4K

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers