Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Mr. Robot: Season 3.0 (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
Bridge of Spies (Blu-ray)
$8.99
 
To Have and Have Not (Blu-ray)
$11.85
 
Avatar The Last Airbender: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Tombstone (Blu-ray)
$8.99
 
The Finest Hours (Blu-ray)
$8.99
 
Zodiac (Blu-ray)
$5.34
 
A Few Good Men 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
The Dark Crystal 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
Fury 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96
 
A Quiet Place 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
1 hr ago
Pitch Perfect 3 (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 05:25 PM   #181
Intamin Intamin is offline
Power Member
 
Intamin's Avatar
 
Sep 2007
Houston
35
318
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reference View Post

Those are the original crossovers from the B&W 800D!
B&W was very kind to let me buy the crossovers and drivers. Otherwise I would have not done that build!

Thanks again B&W. YOU
That's really cool that they sold you the crossovers and drivers. I wonder if that's something they typically do or if it was more of an exception. It'd also be interesting to know if they charged you cost for them, or if they marked them up a little.

Anyways, looking forward to seeing the pics later today
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:45 AM   #182
Reference Reference is offline
Senior Member
 
Reference's Avatar
 
Oct 2007
Virginia Beach, VA
296
727
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intamin View Post
That's really cool that they sold you the crossovers and drivers. I wonder if that's something they typically do or if it was more of an exception. It'd also be interesting to know if they charged you cost for them, or if they marked them up a little.

Anyways, looking forward to seeing the pics later today
It was an exception. Usually you have to own B&W's to get parts for it. I was very lucky.

Everything is hooked up now but it took me forever to get the dampening for the woofers right. I have them removed and reinstalled about 10 times. Now it's perfect. The speakers sound incredible and put my original KEF Ref almost to shame in 2ch mode.
I will take pictures tomorrow, sorry. It took me a little bit longer then I thought.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:08 AM   #183
Kali157 Kali157 is offline
Special Member
 
Nov 2009
43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reference View Post
It was an exception. Usually you have to own B&W's to get parts for it. I was very lucky.

Everything is hooked up now but it took me forever to get the dampening for the woofers right. I have them removed and reinstalled about 10 times. Now it's perfect. The speakers sound incredible and put my original KEF Ref almost to shame in 2ch mode.
I will take pictures tomorrow, sorry. It took me a little bit longer then I thought.
Can't wait till pics... Like a kid at Christmas...
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:18 AM   #184
Johnny Vinyl Johnny Vinyl is offline
Moderator
 
Johnny Vinyl's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave
19
205
7
3
8
Default

Breathtaking. Simply breathtaking!
John - I love the smell of vinyl in the morning!
My personal motto: "Live Life! Leave A Legacy!"
I reserve the right to post as a member. When I post as a Moderator I will select a color depending on my mood!
Dynavector - Genesis - Harman/Kardon - Marantz Reference - Mogami - Nitty Gritty -- Oracle Audio - Pioneer - Valab/King
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:31 PM   #185
Reference Reference is offline
Senior Member
 
Reference's Avatar
 
Oct 2007
Virginia Beach, VA
296
727
2
Default

The countdown begins. I finally started to take some pictures.
The system sounds so amazing that I was listening to it all day long. It sounds so crisp and real that I almost started crying. The bass is tight and full that there is no subwoofer needed.
Pictures should be up in about an hour!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:36 PM   #186
Intamin Intamin is offline
Power Member
 
Intamin's Avatar
 
Sep 2007
Houston
35
318
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reference View Post
The countdown begins. I finally started to take some pictures.
The system sounds so amazing that I was listening to it all day long. It sounds so crisp and real that I almost started crying. The bass is tight and full that there is no subwoofer needed.
Pictures should be up in about an hour!
Can't wait!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:02 AM   #187
Reference Reference is offline
Senior Member
 
Reference's Avatar
 
Oct 2007
Virginia Beach, VA
296
727
2
Default Diy b&w 800d

OK, here it goes. I made it happen. I created a wonderful pair of speakers. I could not be more happy with the end result. They sound like a piece of heaven. I don't even remember when i started this project. I think it took me about 6 month to complete it. It was a wonderful and very challenging project.
Enjoy the following shots. I hope you guys like it. Now i have a unique set of B&W 800D





























  Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:23 AM   #188
Big Daddy Big Daddy is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Big Daddy's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
Southern California
79
122
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reference View Post
OK, here it goes. I made it happen. I created a wonderful pair of speakers. I could not be more happy with the end result. They sound like a piece of heaven. I don't even remember when i started this project. I think it took me about 6 month to complete it. It was a wonderful and very challenging project.
Enjoy the following shots. I hope you guys like it. Now i have a unique set of B&W 800D
They look wonderful. Me jealous.

We need to ban you from Blu-ray.com. You make the rest of us look stupid.
HT Room: Panasonic PT-AE8000, Epson 1080UB Proj., Mitsubishi 65" Diamond Series HD TV, Yamaha-RX-A3010 Rec., CinePro 6-Ch. Amp. (350 W/Ch, 8 Ohm), Proton D1200 Amp., Behringer EP4000 & EPX3000 Amps., Oppo BDP-83, Sony BDP-S790, Audio Technica Tuntable, Mitsubishi S-VHS, 2 Def. Tech. Super Towers w 15" subs, 1 Def. Tech. Center & 1 Martin-Logan Center, 2 Def. Tech. Surr. & 2 PSB Surr., 2 Cadence Presence, 2 Bose 901 Rears, 2 Modified HSU 12" Subs, 1 ED DIY 12" Sub, 1 ED DIY 15" Sub, Velodyne SMS-1 Subwoofer Equalizer, DirecTV HD, Monster HTS 5000 & APC H15 Power Conditioners.
Two-Channel Room: XiangSheng Tube Preamp., Carver TFM-45 Amp. (375 W/Ch), Behringer EPX4000 Amp., Onkyo CD player, Denon Turntable, Yamaha Tuner, 2 Vintage Polk RTA-15TL Speakers, 2 LCY 100 Super Tweeters, 2 DIY Folded Horn Super Towers with 15" Sub., 1 Modified AA HD-SUB12
Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" Diamond Series TV, Yamaha DSP-A3090 Rec., DirecTV HD-DVR, PS3, Zvox Speaker, 1 DIY 12" Sub.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:29 AM   #189
Reference Reference is offline
Senior Member
 
Reference's Avatar
 
Oct 2007
Virginia Beach, VA
296
727
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
They look wonderful. Me jealous.

We need to ban you from Blu-ray.com. You make the rest of us look stupid.
Thanks,
They sound better then they look.

Don't forget, i had all the right tools to build it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:36 AM   #190
rded rded is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
rded's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
555 Naim Street
254
1
Default

They look really nice!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:38 AM   #191
prerich prerich is offline
Moderator
 
prerich's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
46
1
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reference View Post
OK, here it goes. I made it happen. I created a wonderful pair of speakers. I could not be more happy with the end result. They sound like a piece of heaven. I don't even remember when i started this project. I think it took me about 6 month to complete it. It was a wonderful and very challenging project.
Enjoy the following shots. I hope you guys like it. Now i have a unique set of B&W 800D
I will finally say...again....speechless!!!!! So B&W uses Mundorf Caps in their 800's very nice! This is a one of a kind build!!! Well done!!!! Bravo Zulu!!!!
Infinity Comp Prelude P-FR, Infinity Comp Overture 1 - center & front hght and sides, Infinity fps-1000 rear and rear hght, Infinity Outrigger Jr. overheads, 2 AE AV15 Power Cube subwoofers, SVS 16-46 CS (X2) 2 DCM Subs (rear), Denon AVR-X4300H (front hght and Prepro), Yamaha MX-830 (rear hght), B&K 200.7 Reference Amp, Behringer NU4-6000 (subs),miniDSP 2X4, BD HTPC, Tube DAC, NAS 20tb , 16:9 110", Vivitek hk2288 4k proj, TCL Roku 4K TV.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:42 AM   #192
Reference Reference is offline
Senior Member
 
Reference's Avatar
 
Oct 2007
Virginia Beach, VA
296
727
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rded View Post
They look really nice!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
I will finally say...again....speechless!!!!! So B&W uses Mundorf Caps in their 800's very nice! This is a one of a kind build!!! Well done!!!! Bravo Zulu!!!!
Thanks, I am glad it's over for now!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:42 AM   #193
Bluvette Bluvette is offline
Power Member
 
Bluvette's Avatar
 
Mar 2009
Far Southside Chicago (Orland Park)
31
31
1
Default

Beautiful job.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:49 AM   #194
crazyBLUE crazyBLUE is offline
Moderator
 
crazyBLUE's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
Pacific Northwest
89
479
1
38
30
Default

They Turned out Beautiful Reference

Best looking set of speakers on the site IMO
Brent

Changing to 4K ~ Got the 60" TV & enjoying the 4K Blu-rays.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:59 AM   #195
Reference Reference is offline
Senior Member
 
Reference's Avatar
 
Oct 2007
Virginia Beach, VA
296
727
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluvette View Post
Beautiful job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyBLUE View Post
They Turned out Beautiful Reference

Best looking set of speakers on the site IMO
Thanks guy's, that means a lot to me. It was a tough job!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:06 AM   #196
SeanMF SeanMF is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
SeanMF's Avatar
 
Apr 2007
Iowa
70
1428
2
83
Default

Looks good. How did you go about getting the dimensions...design....materials to make them? Not like that information is readily available (I don't think) as I'm sure the speaker companies won't give out how they make their speakers. You hire someone from China to reverse engineer/copy blueprints for you? Buy the parts on the black market?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:10 AM   #197
DerrellB DerrellB is offline
Power Member
 
DerrellB's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
59
3
Default

Wow is all I can say. Man you are a something with your hands. What happen to the Kef build? Congrats.
Speakers - Wharfedale Diamond 10.7 - 10.CM - 10.DFS
Subwoofers - Dual Svs Sb13 Ultras
Amps - Marantz PM8005 with HTBP and Marantz MM7055
Pre/Pros - Marantz AV7702 and Marantz PM8005
Video - Panasonic 4K 65"AX800U - Sources - PS4 - Mac Mini - Panasonic BDT460
Power and Protection - 2 Panamax 4100 PM
Cabling and Interconnects - Audioquest - DAC - Marantz HD-DAC1

Last edited by DerrellB; 12-30-2012 at 01:12 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:14 AM   #198
Reference Reference is offline
Senior Member
 
Reference's Avatar
 
Oct 2007
Virginia Beach, VA
296
727
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanMF View Post
Looks good. How did you go about getting the dimensions...design....materials to make them? Not like that information is readily available (I don't think) as I'm sure the speaker companies won't give out how they make their speakers. You hire someone from China to reverse engineer/copy blueprints for you? Buy the parts on the black market?
Yeah man, everything is possible if you know the right people and know how to use YouTube and the Internet. And then of course you need to know auto cad. After all that, it's only up to you to make it happen.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:20 AM   #199
Reference Reference is offline
Senior Member
 
Reference's Avatar
 
Oct 2007
Virginia Beach, VA
296
727
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerrellB View Post
Wow is all I can say. Man you are a something with your hands. What happen to the Kef build? Congrats.
Thanks derrell, you mean the center speaker? I will finish that sometime early next year. I need a little break now and it's not really urgent to have it completed.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:23 AM   #200
DerrellB DerrellB is offline
Power Member
 
DerrellB's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
59
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reference View Post
Thanks derrell, you mean the center speaker? I will finish that sometime early next year. I need a little break now and it's not really urgent to have it completed.
Oh no. I forgot you was doing the Kef center build. I was wondering what did you do with the Kef Reference towers you built. Did those move to the theater?
Speakers - Wharfedale Diamond 10.7 - 10.CM - 10.DFS
Subwoofers - Dual Svs Sb13 Ultras
Amps - Marantz PM8005 with HTBP and Marantz MM7055
Pre/Pros - Marantz AV7702 and Marantz PM8005
Video - Panasonic 4K 65"AX800U - Sources - PS4 - Mac Mini - Panasonic BDT460
Power and Protection - 2 Panamax 4100 PM
Cabling and Interconnects - Audioquest - DAC - Marantz HD-DAC1
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:03 PM.