Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Walking Dead: Seasons 1-4 (Blu-ray)
$68.99
We Are Still Here (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Mad Max Anthology (Blu-ray)
$49.98
Home Alone Ultimate Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Ghost in the Shell: Arise: Borders 3 & 4 (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Lost After Dark (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Mad Max: Fury Road (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Star Wars: Rebels - Complete Season One (Blu-ray)
$32.99
The Hobbit: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$89.98
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies 3D (Blu-ray)
$49.48
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Vampire Diaries: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 05-01-2015, 08:32 PM   #321

May 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Echo View Post
I was thinking of selling my Image copy, but I can't find a listing for it at Amazon and mine is missing the cover art since I used custom artwork for it that I liked a lot more. I believe the original art that came with it got damaged so I just tossed it.
Professor Echo,

If you're still interested in selling this as just the disc, assuming that it is the second printing of it (as detailed on this site) I would more than gladly purchase it from you!
Old 05-01-2015, 10:55 PM   #322
Special Member

Mar 2011
Los Angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmgenius89 View Post
Professor Echo,

If you're still interested in selling this as just the disc, assuming that it is the second printing of it (as detailed on this site) I would more than gladly purchase it from you!
Sent you a PM.
Old 07-25-2015, 04:02 PM   #323

Sep 2009

Is this worth paying the OOP price premium over the BFI version, or is the BFI version better? I have heard conflicting information.
Old 07-25-2015, 05:01 PM   #324
Expert Member

Sep 2013
UK

As I think I've already said, I prefer the BFI edition. It's still not perfect, the technicolour bits are upscales though given the softness of this early process you probably won't notice, but it's a great transfer otherwise. It's also the only disc (so far) to have the surviving sound reel and the 1925 cut in a HD scan.
Old 07-25-2015, 05:17 PM   #325

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddbox83 View Post
As I think I've already said, I prefer the BFI edition. It's still not perfect, the technicolour bits are upscales though given the softness of this early process you probably won't notice, but it's a great transfer otherwise. It's also the only disc (so far) to have the surviving sound reel and the 1925 cut in a HD scan.
Yeah, I picked it up.

I also read the Image version has two problematic releases - the first release had a menu issue and a sound issue; then a replacement disc Image offered through a program fixed those two issues but created an new aliasing issue in several scenes.

So BFI it is. Glad I lost that ebay auction yesterday for the Image.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:01 PM   #326

Jul 2015
Karloffornia!!

Well this is lame. Was looking to upgrade Phantom to blu ray since I own various crap public domain versions.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:35 AM   #327

Jul 2015
Karloffornia!!

Does anyone know why Universal has never bothered by getting the rights back for Phantom? I'm somewhat knowledgeable on public domain, but anyone care to enlighten me?
Old 08-01-2015, 09:37 PM   #328

Sep 2009
North Carolina USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilive View Post
Does anyone know why Universal has never bothered by getting the rights back for Phantom? I'm somewhat knowledgeable on public domain, but anyone care to enlighten me?
If it's public domain pretty much anyone with a print or source can release it. In the case of Universal they don't have a print, this one along with Hunchback were destroyed a long time ago and the only prints still around are either in museums or the hands of private collectors. I doubt Universal would also risk such a release. Silents are a niche market and frankly if there isnt much interest in such a film, then securing the rights from the owners to distribute, including funds for a possible restoration (which the public would expect from Universal) and the money spent on promotion and release there's no profit for them.

Last edited by trans8010; 08-01-2015 at 09:44 PM.
Thanks given by:
evilive (08-02-2015)
Old 08-01-2015, 09:42 PM   #329
Special Member

Jul 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilive View Post
If no one owns the rights, who are they going to get them back from?
Old 08-02-2015, 09:40 PM   #330

Jul 2015
Karloffornia!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trans8010 View Post
If it's public domain pretty much anyone with a print or source can release it. In the case of Universal they don't have a print, this one along with Hunchback were destroyed a long time ago and the only prints still around are either in museums or the hands of private collectors. I doubt Universal would also risk such a release. Silents are a niche market and frankly if there isnt much interest in such a film, then securing the rights from the owners to distribute, including funds for a possible restoration (which the public would expect from Universal) and the money spent on promotion and release there's no profit for them.
Cool, thanks for the reply. This answers my question.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:57 PM   #331

Nov 2010

Any thoughts on this new upcoming Kino version?

I have both the Image release and the BFI. I don't remember all the details of the individual releases at the moment. Nor do I recall the differences between the 24 or 20 fps or whatever. It will have both of those in 1080p. Bit it looks like the BFI will still be the only one with an HD scan of the 1925 version. It appears this new won't have one either. Why?!

EDIT: Found the thread: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=265268
Good Show!

Last edited by Boob-Ray; 08-14-2015 at 01:14 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America