Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Americans: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gatchaman: Complete Collection + OVAs (Blu-ray)
$59.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Animal House (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Forbidden Kingdom (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

View Poll Results: Rate ~ Only God Forgives Movie
One Star 6 6.32%
Two Stars 12 12.63%
Three Stars 23 24.21%
Four Stars 30 31.58%
Five Stars 24 25.26%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-17-2013, 04:27 PM   #1041
Special Member

Mar 2012
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimBelm View Post
I felt like the banquet scene was to show how beauty lives side by side with violence and gets defended from it, iirc there isn't any nudity in the film and it's the violation of beauty that sets off the whole war. For me the karaoke is Chang's way of nurturing his family and keeping them under his wing, I think of Chang as a giant mythical creature not unlike the dragon that the film often puts in the background of shots, his reach is vast because it is that of the entire Thai police force, and the power he wields makes him as unstoppable as such a dragon, the fight scene between Chang and Julian reminds me of a final boss fight from a video game, he is unveiled to be this impenetrable being, the cutting between him and the statue emphasizes this feeling for me, combined with horror-like organ sounds on the soundtrack.

Recently I've thought of the film as a battleground which hosts the insane corrupted image we in the West have of Thailand, the stereotypical corrupt police, ladyboy prostitutes, kickboxing e.t.c. and the monster that is Chang is the full embodiment of this image, the West have created this monster who is now seeking revenge against it. Like Harmony Korine with Gummo, Refn explores the mutated view of a culture so it's no wonder there are people repulsed by it. If there's one comparison I'd make between this and Drive it would be the use of stereotypical views of a location, from Los Angeles to Bangkok.
Agree

If you read my posts a few pages back, you'll notice I hit on some of your ideas.

Chang is a product of his violent world, that somehow has elevated himself beyond it. Now, he is the living entity of change, willing to stop it. He understands this violent reality to a great depth.

As a previous poster has mentioned he is a morality monster, a product of his decadent violent world.

Although, I do not agree with Chang's black and white morality (Roschach, Randian objectivism) or his due process of law, it still makes a great movie.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:50 PM   #1042

Jul 2012
Scottish Highlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellini912 View Post
Agree

If you read my posts a few pages back, you'll notice I hit on some of your ideas.

Chang is a product of his violent world, that somehow has elevated himself beyond it. Now, he is the living entity of change, willing to stop it. He understands this violent reality to a great depth.

As a previous poster has mentioned he is a morality monster, a product of his decadent violent world.

Although, I do not agree with Chang's black and white morality (Roschach, Randian objectivism) or his due process of law, it still makes a great movie.
I think the size of the thread has been putting me off reading through it all, but the odd page I have read has made me happy to see people dissecting it in such a way. Up until halfway into the film I was agreeing with all the negative reviews, but when the seemingly unnecessary violence got to the point where I would shudder everytime Chang was on screen it all started to click, a couple awkwardly slept nights later and it began to really take shape for me, the second watch felt incredible.

I haven't really read anything Refn has had to say about the film, but even if he hadn't set out to do all that, unintended meanings are still valid to me, and the feeling I now get from watching it is certainly valid to me.

What was your opinion on
[Show spoiler]Julian possibly losing his hands at the end? I was getting the picture throughout the film that whilst growing up Julian had been given a lot of importance to his hands by his mother, part of me was thinking maybe she even tied him up to chair when he was younger and teased herself like in the situation Julian recreates early in the film, I felt like through Julian's hands she would tease him a lot, possibly leading him into killing and usurping his father, and that ultimately Julian wanted rid of them.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:27 PM   #1043
Special Member

Mar 2012
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimBelm View Post

What was your opinion on
[Show spoiler]Julian possibly losing his hands at the end? I was getting the picture throughout the film that whilst growing up Julian had been given a lot of importance to his hands by his mother, part of me was thinking maybe she even tied him up to chair when he was younger and teased herself like in the situation Julian recreates early in the film, I felt like through Julian's hands she would tease him a lot, possibly leading him into killing and usurping his father, and that ultimately Julian wanted rid of them.
Julian's hand, in my opinion,
[Show spoiler]are his source of violence and sexuality. The man's punishment in the beginning is the amputation his arm. Julian seeing this man's punishment, fantasizes his own punishment.

Yes, I believe there is something beyond a mother and son relationship going on, with a strange symbolism of his hands.
[Show spoiler]Julian's past has similarities to Oedipus's past, (he murderers his father and sleeps with his mother, and is exiled from his kingdom). There is a disturbing sexual scene at the end, where he penetrates his mother with his fist through the wound he created in her womb
. A very surrealist touch.

In Sophocles' forever classic tale, Oedipus used pins from his wife/mother hanging dead body to blind himself by driving them into his orbits. A fitting punishment for not seeing his life clearly.
[Show spoiler]Julian's amputations have a similar significance, maybe he believes that they are the source of his wrong.

Last edited by Fellini912; 08-17-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:29 PM   #1044
Expert Member

May 2013

Quote:
It would be great to know who Chang has on the altar, religious icons or picture of his wife. Chang has a maid who takes care of his daughter, where is his wife?

Julian notices the altar towards the end of the movie, and maybe understands Chang somewhat. He then grabs the sword and stabs his mother's womb.
In the script the maid is the mother. I don't think that is the case with the movie though because it seems like she's too young. One of the karaoke scenes is supposed to have Chang singing with his wife a Dolly Parton duet.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:37 PM   #1045
Special Member

Mar 2012
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigmoufStrikes View Post
In the script the maid is the mother. I don't think that is the case with the movie though because it seems like she's too young. One of the karaoke scenes is supposed to have Chang singing with his wife a Dolly Parton duet.
Interesting. Yes, I agree about the young lady, it seems that she is an employee, more than a wife (there is no affection between them, compared to the obvious love for his daughter).

Does the script mention anything about the altar or Julian's reaction to the Chang's altar?
Old 08-17-2013, 11:58 PM   #1046
Expert Member

May 2013

Quote:
Interesting. Yes, I agree about the young lady, it seems that she is an employee, more than a wife (there is no affection between them, compared to the obvious love for his daughter).

Does the script mention anything about the altar or Julian's reaction to the Chang's altar?
Chang has an alter to Johnny Cash in the script but that doesn't transition itself into the movie. Also, Julian never sees it because Gosling came up with the sword part that happens later. It doesn't show up in the script.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:18 AM   #1047
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011

Officially announced here at blu-ray:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=11993
Old 08-26-2013, 10:23 PM   #1048
Expert Member

Oct 2012
California

Call me crazy but I loved this film and all it's flabbergasting violence, pretentious imagery, subtle imagery, lack of dialogue, amazing musical score.. It was an art film with a quiet Ryan Gosling performance and Winding Refn's arresting visuals. In a summer full of bombastic disapointments, this film was my favorite to come out this year.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:37 PM   #1049
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011

Best Buy price matched Amazons 17.96
Old 10-23-2013, 11:40 PM   #1050
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011

And the first word/s spoken in the movie (by Gosling) is not, "Fight" - as was mentioned in a waaaaaay earlier post (Im not about to look for it). It's "Go". Put on the subtitles.
Its not in English. Gosling is speaking Thai to his Thai fighter in Thailand.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:43 PM   #1051
Power Member

Oct 2013
Chicago

This movie looks very nice visually, I just wish it was anyone else besides Gosling. He just doesn't strike me as menacing, tough, or striking enough for drive/this. Can't get into him, his voice either. I'll probably still check it out.
Past a certain point there's a futility in responsibility.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:05 AM   #1052
Expert Member

Oct 2010
san diego california

Saw this again with a open mind
The movie just isn't that good. Wish it was
Old 11-21-2013, 04:07 PM   #1053
Expert Member

Feb 2011
Miami, FL

Ended up getting my LE vinyl framed and have it up on my wall, it came out really nice. By far my favorite soundtrack to a film, great to workout to

Old 11-21-2013, 04:16 PM   #1054

Sep 2011

What's the deal with the Karaoke? What do you guys think it means?
"She's my.......cousin. She's from....France".
Old 11-21-2013, 08:29 PM   #1055
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by welcometothepartypal View Post
What's the deal with the Karaoke? What do you guys think it means?
Chang sings everytime after he commited an act of violence. He is cleansing himself.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:57 PM   #1056

Nov 2008
San Jose, Ca USAwesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamVillain View Post
Ended up getting my LE vinyl framed and have it up on my wall, it came out really nice. By far my favorite soundtrack to a film, great to workout to

Looks sweet
Old 11-22-2013, 11:50 AM   #1057

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeRunner2007 View Post
Chang sings everytime after he commited an act of violence. He is cleansing himself.
Interesting. Makes sense, thanks
"She's my.......cousin. She's from....France".
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies