Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Americans: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gatchaman: Complete Collection + OVAs (Blu-ray)
$59.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Animal House (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Forbidden Kingdom (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Collectibles and Limited Editions > Slipcovers

Old 12-30-2013, 03:59 AM   #201

Jan 2007
Earth

Anybody find the Goo Gone pen anywhere? Seems pretty practical for this purpose.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:05 AM   #202
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
Victoria, BC

The rental place when there were I used to work used to use lighter fluid.
Home Theater Geeks Overcome Bond quotes USA the Greatest country in the world? Immigrant Song Hall of the Mountain King Spring Breakers Mulholland Drive
"Your intellect may be confused," he once wrote, "but your emotions will never lie to you." Roger Ebert Physical media forever!
Front Speakers B&W 683 Center B&W HTM61 surrounds B&W 685
Old 12-30-2013, 12:58 PM   #203
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2007
Toronto, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada View Post
The rental place when there were I used to work used to use lighter fluid.
wow what a tongue twister! lol
Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO141FD Owner
My Flickr
Old 12-30-2013, 01:28 PM   #204

Jan 2012

Those UV, Digital Copies stickers and what not cover a considerable portion of slipcovers. Annoying!

But so far, I've never had to use Goo Gone or any cleaning fluid to peel them off

This is what I do:

Just use your thumbnail/tip of your thumb to peel one EDGE of the sticker slowly until you can get a small part of it lifted. While doing so , be careful not to leave any imprint of your nail on the cover.

Then, start pulling VERY SLOWLY UPWARDS the edge of sticker that has been peeled off with the tip of your thumb (or with both your index finger and tip of your thumb) until the sticker comes off.

Never try to peel it in a rush or it may tear off the part underneath it

If you buy blu-rays not long after their release dates, it'll be a lot easier to peel off the sticker since they have just been stuck on the slipcovers.

However, peeling off transparent stickers on the back of slipcovers is something else. I suggest you leave them there. They're transparent anyway

Hope this helps

Last edited by Dvd Aficionado; 12-30-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:32 PM   #205
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvd Aficionado View Post
If you buy blu-rays not long after their release dates, it'll be a lot easier to peel off the sticker since they have just been stuck on the slipcovers.
length of time between when you get a bluray or not doesnt really matter. It depends on the material used with the sticker and that varies from store. My local Best Buy uses some super adhesive which is a nightmare to remove, yet another one 10 minutes further from that has stickers which peel right off. And this is all day 1 experience.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:35 PM   #206
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2013
Boston,MA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agoofykindasuperman View Post
wow what a tongue twister! lol
He's from Canadia.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:41 PM   #207

Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
length of time between when you get a bluray or not doesnt really matter. It depends on the material used with the sticker and that varies from store. My local Best Buy uses some super adhesive which is a nightmare to remove, yet another one 10 minutes further from that has stickers which peel right off. And this is all day 1 experience.
Agree, some stores don't think much of the value of slipcovers to us collectors
Old 12-31-2013, 07:51 PM   #208

Nov 2010
Kirksville, Missouri
Send a message via AIM to Richard Graham

Hands down, my worst experience removing stickers was on the plastic STID slip. I don't know why. The glue just wouldn't dissolve. I thought I was going to end up rubbing through the plastic itself.

The dog tag sticker on GI Joe Retaliation was also a bear.
"I like KOOLS. Minty flavor."
Old 12-31-2013, 10:33 PM   #209

Jul 2013

I just bought the Planet of the Apes 5 Film Collection today and each case has ugly stickers slapped on their backs. I can't take it off or it'll leave this thick black crap all over. Ugh.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:40 AM   #210
Special Member

Dec 2013
Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalith View Post
Anybody find the Goo Gone pen anywhere? Seems pretty practical for this purpose.
*cough*

Has anyone used the goo-gone pen? It's pretty cheap and I have plenty of stickers to remove.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:37 PM   #211

Jan 2014

The product Simple Green works really well also. Very strong, but doesn't leave any stains and loosen up the residue very easy. It literally took me 5 minutes for three slip covers.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:51 AM   #212

Aug 2013
PA / NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumdogg View Post
-Apply a few drops to the sticker.
-Rub it in with your finger.
-Wait 30 seconds.
-Peel sticker off.
-Wipe away excess residue.

Works every time!
Just got back from Walmart. Found Goo Gone in the cleaning section (Some people said they found it in the Auto section)

I used some qtips to apply to slip.

Followed these instrustions and it worked great on two slips so far! They were more the glossy / shiny kind of slips (Donnie Darko & Duck Dynasty S4)

I read that on the more fabric kind of slips (Rise of the Planet of the Apes) that it might damage the texture and feeling of the slip.

I will be using this on the majority of my slips, because I can't stand those DAMN STICKERS!@!
Old 01-11-2014, 03:04 AM   #213
Expert Member

Dec 2013
Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd.clark88 View Post
Just got back from Walmart. Found Goo Gone in the cleaning section (Some people said they found it in the Auto section)

I used some qtips to apply to slip.

Followed these instrustions and it worked great on two slips so far! They were more the glossy / shiny kind of slips (Donnie Darko & Duck Dynasty S4)

I read that on the more fabric kind of slips (Rise of the Planet of the Apes) that it might damage the texture and feeling of the slip.

I will be using this on the majority of my slips, because I can't stand those DAMN STICKERS!@!
Yeah, I would be very careful when removing residue from the slips with a matte finish. I actually broke through to the paper layers on a few slips, not because I used too much or scrubbed too hard but the paper stickers bound too well with that kind of slip material and the residue was extremely persistent. Easiest by far are the plastic stickers and glossy slips. Lenticular slips can get tricky if you don't keep with vertical wipes.

I use goo gone spray bottle that I found on amazon prime for $8. Spray some on a microfiber cloth and scrub gently in circles. Never takes more than 30 seconds or so. The best kind of material is something without a lot of fuzzy threads that can come off or be harsh on the slip (an old shirt will do).
925 blu-ray: 338 slipcover; 65 steelbook
Old 01-11-2014, 03:19 AM   #214

Sep 2011

I use Goo Gone all the time and it works like a charm and has never caused any damage. If the sticker is glossy try to peel off the glossy layer if you can and it works faster. Spray on the Goo Gone and rub it in a bit then let it sit for a 5-10 seconds and then you can take it off. I highly recommend it.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:46 AM   #215
Expert Member

May 2011
Parts Unknown
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by drb999 View Post
I just bought the Planet of the Apes 5 Film Collection today and each case has ugly stickers slapped on their backs. I can't take it off or it'll leave this thick black crap all over. Ugh.
Are you talking about the plain white stickers that cover the UPC codes? Mine has that too, but to be honest, I didn't really think twice about it because it's not like the UPC code boxes are any prettier.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:52 AM   #216

Jul 2013

Yeah, those are the ones. I just hate having stickers on my cases that I can't remove. They make the box look trashy even if it's just coving the UPC.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:19 PM   #217
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2012
Michigan

Just ONCE I'd like to buy a BD from Walmart, and not have to use Goo Gone to take the price tag off the slip!

Old 04-17-2014, 02:27 AM   #218
Expert Member

Sep 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumdogg View Post
Just ONCE I'd like to buy a BD from Walmart, and not have to use Goo Gone to take the price tag off the slip!

gotta go like as soon as walmart opens on tuesday, even then theres some already with stickers on
"Buddy, I don't know who you are, but you're about to get Chlamydia."
Old 04-17-2014, 02:34 AM   #219
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2012
Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corner Camping Noob View Post
gotta go like as soon as walmart opens on tuesday, even then theres some already with stickers on
Even that doesn't help...the adhesive they use for those tags congeals for a while before it's put on....makes a closer bond with the slip.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:56 AM   #220
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2011
5593 ft above sea level

Yeah, I went there at midnight for Mitty and even out of the sealed boxes of BDs, they already had price stickers. They're probably done at the warehouse at least.
Wait a minute, we were stuck in a blender and now we're saving lives? WHAT?!?!

deltasun's sell/trade thread; FS: Ride Along (BD+DVD), Kick Ass 2 (BD+DVD), Out of the Furnace, Red 2 (BD+DVD) - $10 ea.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Collectibles and Limited Editions > Slipcovers