Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Martian (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Universe: The Complete Series Megaset (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Star Wars: The Complete Saga (Blu-ray)
$63.99
The Last Ship: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$24.27
Star Wars: Episodes IV-VI (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Green Room (Blu-ray)
$18.32
In the Heart of the Sea (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Catch Me If You Can (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Gods of Egypt 3D (Blu-ray)
$26.99
The Revenant (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Expanse: Season One (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Return of the Living Dead (Blu-ray)
$22.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

View Poll Results: Rate the movie (if you have actually seen it)
One Star 68 7.56%
Two Stars 141 15.67%
Three Stars 239 26.56%
Four Stars 308 34.22%
Five Stars 144 16.00%
Voters: 900. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-05-2016, 02:19 PM   #15881

Oct 2013
London, England

Top 10 Favorite Films of All Time

(1) Blade Runner (2) A.I: Artificial Intelligence (3) Unbreakable
(4) There Will Be Blood (5) The Iron Giant (6) The Prestige
(7) Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (8) Punch-Drunk Love
(9) Jurassic Park (10) Magnolia

"I dream for a living." -Steven Spielberg
Thanks given by:
dublinbluray108 (02-06-2016), GLaDOS (02-06-2016), Hellraiserfan (02-05-2016), HimmelBlau (02-05-2016), rakos (02-05-2016), Sean B. (02-05-2016), Walts Ghost (02-05-2016)
Old 02-05-2016, 02:23 PM   #15882
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2014
Scarborough

I was reading the Batman VS Superman articles in Empire today and the dream sequence sounds weird. Never thought I'd read about a dream sequence based on Westerns in a Batman film.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:25 PM   #15883
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2011
Durham

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraMario9 View Post
That's actually a damn good Batman theme.
Deadpool: I'm gonna do to your face what Limp Bizkit did to music in the late 90s!
Thanks given by:
dublinbluray108 (02-06-2016), GLaDOS (02-06-2016), UK_fan_05 (02-06-2016)
Old 02-05-2016, 04:36 PM   #15884

Jun 2012

I have no idea where this come from.
And the audio quality is atrocious...
Thanks given by:
Sean B. (02-05-2016)
Old 02-05-2016, 04:56 PM   #15885

Jan 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael24 View Post
I thought Man of Steel was pretty terrific.

But all of this talk about different Supermans reminded me of something Bruce Timm said while talking about the different Batmans: "I can still watch the Adam West show, and I can still read the Frank Miller Dark Knight comics and I can watch the movies; they're all different but they're all Batman."

I like various Superman comics, the George Reeves television series, the first two Reeve movies (more now than I did as a kid), Lois & Clark, Superman Returns and Man of Steel. They're all different but they're all still Superman.

I wonder if there's a predominant "Superman" archetype though. Like a consensus among fans (and maybe even non-fans) as to what the essential components of Superman are. And at which point, you don't really have Superman. Which would impact the enjoyment for the "majority" (if there is one).

For instance, I could say: red and blue costume, cape, flying, strength, humanoid alien, good guy who doesn't kill. And that might be enough to be "essential Superman."

But then, at some point, you end up with a super shiny costume made out of metal and a Superman who looks like Nick Cage with long hair.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:57 PM   #15886
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Marcus View Post
That's actually a damn good Batman theme.
It's great its more Junkie than Zimmer, but it is nowhere near the GOAT batman piece of music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSWz...ature=youtu.be

Nothing can ever live up to that
4k yes HDR no.
Physical media Fo lyfe.
The Scott Bros. do no wrong.
Dolby Vision is a company grasping at relevance.
Bring back and refine SXRD displays.
Thanks given by:
buck135 (02-05-2016), Darth Marcus (02-05-2016), Michael24 (02-05-2016)
Old 02-05-2016, 08:11 PM   #15887
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
District 13
Send a message via AIM to Batman1980

This will open simultaneously in China and the US on March 25.

Source - BoxOfficeMojo.Com
RIP Navster, you were someone I considered a friend and BD.com will always remember you.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:49 PM   #15888
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2011
Durham

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike View Post
It's great its more Junkie than Zimmer, but it is nowhere near the GOAT batman piece of music

Thou speaketh the truth.
Deadpool: I'm gonna do to your face what Limp Bizkit did to music in the late 90s!
Old 02-05-2016, 10:29 PM   #15889
Blu-ray Guru

May 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike View Post

I love when Batman presses down on the accelerator as he's speeding to the Batcave. I miss those Batman-y moments. I don't think we'll ever get them again.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:31 PM   #15890
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
District 13
Send a message via AIM to Batman1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoswald View Post
I love when Batman presses down on the accelerator as he's speeding to the Batcave. I miss those Batman-y moments. I don't think we'll ever get them again.
RIP Navster, you were someone I considered a friend and BD.com will always remember you.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:38 PM   #15891
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2010
Sacramento, CA

Really digging on the new Batman theme.
RIP Navster, My SF Giants Compadre. So long, and thanks for all the fish.

"Movies can and do have tremendous influence in shaping young lives in the realm of entertainment towards the ideals and objectives of normal adulthood."
Walt Disney
Follow me:
Twitter: @pj_campbell/Instagram: pj_campbell/Podcast: Reel Film Chatter
Old 02-05-2016, 10:46 PM   #15892
Special Member

Apr 2014
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by trans8010 View Post
[Show spoiler]What is this true canon he speaks of? The New 52? The Clark is the real person and Superman the identity, Post Crisis version? I'm a comic book fan and really the only books that this Superman can fit into would be the archiac Golden Age strongman and the current and much maligned New 52 version. One was phased out because the character needed to evolve, and the other was a shakeup that was hugely controversial and only a handful of stories that were printed since 2011 could be considered good and it's because they incorporated Silver Age themes. Every other variation shares virtually the altruistic boy scout,

Zack in his attempt to please the fandom, I feel will divide things further. Sure the movie fans and those that dabble in comics today, will believe what he has to say, but the long standing fans, the ones who have been reading for 20+ years will find fault with his defense. One side will claim that he just wants to bring back the Golden Age, an era that was suspended for good reason. The other would claim, this is another attempt to justify the New 52, which which is proving to be a failing experiment by DC Comics and even that is a stretch.

His comment is so vague as to be direct but could easily be interpreted in two different ways across the fandom. Technically speaking, since Convergence, the Post Crisis, happily married Superman co exists in the same world as the New 52 counterpart, so his history still exists and could be considered canon as well. Canon could also be interpreted by personal reading experience, for all we know Zack could be using his interpretation based off the Earth One novels. I would hardly call that true canon, but the films borrow heavily from them. All Star had some lines lifted for the previous film, but the film hardly resembles that story either, despite it's symbolism, which could be argued was lifted from the previous film series. Birthright was said to have been influenced because of the origin but that doesn't work as canon, as DC abandoned that origin soon after it was published. I couldn't even tell you if the New 52 was the main influence or company mandated influence because even that character functions more like the Post Crisis version with a bit more angst.
I just want to give you props for always handling your superman arguments well. At the moment your opinion seems to be in the minority (in this thread) but based on the recent comments, I'm willing to believe you know the most about the character. I really respect that. So even if you keep getting told to shut up and "get over it," I like reading your knowledge bombs!
Thanks given by:
trans8010 (02-05-2016)
Old 02-05-2016, 11:17 PM   #15893

Oct 2013
London, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman1980 View Post

This will open simultaneously in China and the US on March 25.
Those opening numbers are going to be huge, maybe not Star Wars huge, but crazier stuff have occurred
Top 10 Favorite Films of All Time

(1) Blade Runner (2) A.I: Artificial Intelligence (3) Unbreakable
(4) There Will Be Blood (5) The Iron Giant (6) The Prestige
(7) Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (8) Punch-Drunk Love
(9) Jurassic Park (10) Magnolia

"I dream for a living." -Steven Spielberg
Old 02-06-2016, 12:52 AM   #15894

Sep 2009
North Carolina USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Det. Bullock View Post
The Golden Age was suspended because you americans are a bunch of wimps that don't want shades of grey or any problematic aspect in your kids adventures, it's telling when a '60s kids show like Doctor Who or some Disney cartoons were more grimdark than any silver age comic book.

And there isn't one canon for old characters like these, Batman movies always borrowed stuff from multiple canons and MoS does exactly the same, only it borrows from stuff that was throughly ignored by other movies and TV series (even Smallville largely ignored the comics in favor of being some sort of "Donner light" until some token stuff in the late series), but Superman must be only that one version in the mind of most fans, because Superman is a bit like the Fantastic Four in that regard, everybody know who he is/they are but few actually have read at least some of his/their comics outside of guest appearances.
I don't think you know what the Golden Age is. That innocent era of comic books had no gray areas, good and evil were well defined, black and white narratives about Gangsters, evil scientists, war profiteers, low level thugs and Axis powers. Each story started out with Clark investigating a crime, that was found to be perpetrated by one of the factions I've listed, Lois usually gets caught sticking her nose into things, while Clark transforms into Superman to save the day, either by killing them, or throwing them in jail, add some bits of Lois trying to uncover the mystery behind Superman and you have the Golden Age summed up in a nutshell. The era ended justly.

That proves my point, that there isn't any true canon, because of what I said and what you added on. Zack is just trying to do some damage control, and poorly might I add, because anybody with a good amount of research i.e. the comic book fandom could poke holes into this theory very easily. He claims he didn't change Superman, well if the New 52 version is the one being considered as the major influence, then he is not entirely incorrect in his statement, but it's not correct to view this version as one that people remember because that variation of the character has only been in existence for 5 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willtopower View Post
I just want to give you props for always handling your superman arguments well. At the moment your opinion seems to be in the minority (in this thread) but based on the recent comments, I'm willing to believe you know the most about the character. I really respect that. So even if you keep getting told to shut up and "get over it," I like reading your knowledge bombs!
Thank you for the kind words and support. I greatly appreciate it!

Last edited by trans8010; 02-06-2016 at 02:07 AM.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:27 AM   #15895

Mar 2012
Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by mport5150 View Post
It didn't feel like Superman because they pretty much destroyed Metropolis in MOS. That was at least my big problem with the movie. It seemed like Superman could give two $hits about human life.
Did you ever read the comics?
I grew up on those comics. I can pretty much remember all of them just by my memory. And in many many many of them there was a freaki`n ton of destruction and chaos in metropolis. I can not believe people actually use this as an argument AGAINST Mos!

Mos was by far THE best and most true superman version to date (if you enjoyed the 80`s/90`s/2000`s comics.
Thanks given by:
Drewbee87 (02-06-2016), UltraMario9 (02-07-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 01:36 AM   #15896

Mar 2012
Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsung122212 View Post
Also, don't forget that like 90% of that destruction was due to the terraforming machine that Superman had to destroy on the other side of the world. The vast area of destruction that we see with Lois and Superman standing in the middle, before Zod fight, all happened before he arrived to Metropolis.
To me it`s mindblowing how haters didn`t get that. Did they even watch the film before they hated it??
Thanks given by:
Falaskan (02-06-2016), UltraMario9 (02-07-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 03:24 AM   #15897

Sep 2009
North Carolina USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jegærn View Post
Did you ever read the comics?
I grew up on those comics. I can pretty much remember all of them just by my memory. And in many many many of them there was a freaki`n ton of destruction and chaos in metropolis. I can not believe people actually use this as an argument AGAINST Mos!

Mos was by far THE best and most true superman version to date (if you enjoyed the 80`s/90`s/2000`s comics.
You say this superman is like the one from the comics, to a small extent he is, but there are huge gaps in this character, that pale Cavill in comparison to The Post Crisis Superman. Under the pen of John Byrne/Roger Stern/Dan Jurgens/Mark Waid, Superman would not have just rushed over to Lois and kissed her intently, without realizing that he's standing upon a mass grave. That version would have wept for the lost. That's who Superman is. He loves all of humanity, and if the film really wanted to portray him as this savior, this moment of weakness, then this vulnerability should be present. It adds depth and heart to the moment.

We learn prior to Zod's initial incursion that Clark is indirectly responsible for the events of Black Zero. Zod informs him by activating the beacon on the scout ship, that flick of a switch, turn of a key, led the outcasts to Earth. It should be running through Clark's head that he knows by being here, the planet was put at risk. There's some ingredients for some interesting character drama, but it's never brought up. Completely overlooked.

Even during the battle it would have been hard near impossible for Clark to divert the fight away, but if Kal at least had been aware of his surroundings, noticed there were people cowering about, and did what he could to alert them, by directing them to leave, like he did at the start of the battle to ONE random guy on the city streets, to run for cover, that would show the audience that he's not this brute that would slam people into structures, regardless if they're occupied, that he's trying to protect people in the only way he could given the circumstances.

Perhaps in time, Henry Cavil will become the Superman we all desire and wish him to be, but he's not now and in no way would he be considered the "True" adaptation of the character.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:26 AM   #15898
Special Member

Jul 2009

"Alternate" image from the Facebook page. And a final trailer -2:12- has been graded and is on the way.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/batman...tman-v-a130759
Thanks given by:
dublinbluray108 (02-06-2016), Sean B. (02-06-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 04:55 AM   #15899
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2010
Marietta, Ga

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrant_33 View Post
"Alternate" image from the Facebook page. And a final trailer -2:12- has been graded and is on the way.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/batman...tman-v-a130759
I'm gussing the final trailer will probably online in a about 1 or 2 weeks ?
You best start believing in ghost stories, Miss Turner... You're in one!
Old 02-06-2016, 05:12 AM   #15900
Blu-ray Duke

Oct 2007
Metropolis

Batman: Bad Blood has a Batman v. Superman trailer that plays before the main menu. I hadn't seen this trailer before, it was focused almost exclusively on Batman and Superman in conflict.
If your world has no heroes, become one.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Tags
dark knight, man of steel