Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Dog Soldiers (Blu-ray)
$19.97
Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection (Blu-ray)
$98.99
How to Train Your Dragon 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Interstellar (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Book of Life (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Three Stooges Collection - Volume Two - Triple Feature (Blu-ray)
$7.79
Whiplash (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Thunderbirds: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$44.97
Predestination (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Duck, You Sucker (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Ben-Hur / The Ten Commandments (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Little House on the Prairie: Season Five (Blu-ray)
$17.89
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old Yesterday, 12:54 AM   #881
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2010
New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Another way to look at it is that JJ was basically doing two feature-length Star Wars test runs, so all the "young hero trying to find his way" stuff was par for the course, as was swapping out Bones for Uhura as a main character to create that familiar boy-girl-boy love triangle.

So while I understand why Kirk and co were essentially kids in nuTrek, I do agree with Revolution that it's time to have them grow up a bit more. Now that JJ's moved on and Orci has moved upstairs we might just get a bit more of what Star Trek is all about in ST3, although Paramount will have something to say about that ("More 'splosions! More running! More jumping! And can we get a furry wise-cracking sidekick in there?").

We know Enterprise is canon. The NX-01 was visible as a model on Marcus' desk in STID, and I loved Scotty's gag about losing Admiral Archer's prized beagle in ST '09.

If i had twitter, I'd tweet Mr Pegg a little hint that we need to see Porthos? re materialize in the 3rd movie.. haha
# L L A P
Old Yesterday, 01:24 AM   #882
Expert Member

Feb 2015
Dallas, TX

Quote:
Kirk wasn't an orphan, we just didn't see his momma in the 'young kirk' prologue.
you're right, I don't know why I was thinking she'd died as well.

point still stands though. Kirk growing up without a father and hating Starfleet is going to grow up to be entirely different than the Kirk from ToS
Old Yesterday, 01:25 AM   #883
Expert Member

Feb 2015
Dallas, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobol View Post
The original Star Trek timeline still exists with Picard, Sisko, & craptrek: Voyager etc... These films just follow the reality that branched off (or existed in a parallel reality) when Spock & the Nero entered it.
I guess they COULD go back to that timeline somehow, but I wouldn't see the the point. They're on a good path now.
Old Yesterday, 01:37 AM   #884
Power Member

Jul 2009
Georgia PSN:Bodyslide

That would be interesting if in this Universe Sisko is the Villian...
PSN:Bodyslide
LG 47LE5400
Receiver:Onkyo TX-NR616

Fronts:(2) Pioneer SP-FS52-LR
Center:Pioneer SP-C22
Rears:(4) Pioneer SP-BS22-LR
Sub:BIC America F12
Old Yesterday, 03:04 AM   #885
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre08 View Post
what does "real trek" mean to you?
Optimistic tone, paying attention to the Navy submarine aspects of it and not promoting people to captain right out of the academy, harder sci-fi edge with more science and social commentary than gun fights, smart characters doing smart things, etc. etc.

The movies have always been more action focused but nowhere near like these last two, and they were never mindless. I want a return to what Trek traditionally was.
Old Yesterday, 07:30 AM   #886
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre08 View Post
you're right, I don't know why I was thinking she'd died as well.

point still stands though. Kirk growing up without a father and hating Starfleet is going to grow up to be entirely different than the Kirk from ToS
He didn't hate Starfleet. He just had no purpose in life until Pike gave him a goal.
Old Yesterday, 08:06 AM   #887
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
He didn't hate Starfleet. He just had no purpose in life until Pike gave him a goal.
Well... he definitely wasn't fond of Starfleet since his father was killed because he was part of Starfleet. But I agree that he didn't go so far as to "hate" Starfleet. Perhaps saying that he "resented" Starfleet would be a better description. But, it doesn't matter anymore. Since he has found his purpose (being a leader) in an avenue that offers plenty of excitement and intrigue, I doubt that resentment will have lasted very long. He was over it long ago. If anything, it just makes the character less of a soldier than he already was and more of a "do the right thing despite rules and regulations" persona.
HT EQUIPMENT: Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000, Onkyo 805, B&W M-1s & AS-2 Sub, 60GB PS3, Toshiba HD-A2

FOR SALE/TRADE THREAD: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=55884
Old Yesterday, 08:37 PM   #888
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Some of this might be Pine's portrayal, but honestly in the two reboot movies he comes across like such an idiot it really bugs me. Like, he's Woody from Cheers level of stupidity.
Old Yesterday, 08:51 PM   #889
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2010
New Zealand

Kirk does get his ass handed to him in both movies. Cup Cake, Spock, Khan. man can't win with his fists.
# L L A P
Old Yesterday, 08:53 PM   #890
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Rouge View Post
If i had twitter, I'd tweet Mr Pegg a little hint that we need to see Porthos? re materialize in the 3rd movie.. haha
Mention anything slightly negative in a tweet to him and he will actually like a petulant child, be warned
Resolution is nothing without compression
But 4k is the magic fix all, to all video problems ever
Old Yesterday, 08:56 PM   #891
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2012
Oklahoma

Star Trek The Search For Spock's Brain

That is the film I want.
Old Yesterday, 09:40 PM   #892

Nov 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoetMB View Post
No. Shatner's Kirk was portrayed with a 1950's-1960's sensibility. Pine's Kirk was portrayed with a 2010 sensibility. Neither are correct, but if you look at the last 50 years in Western societies, men have gotten both less mature in behavior and have consistently looked younger.

Uh... no.

If William Shatner portrayed Kirk as a 1967 young adult the way Chris Pine portrayed Kirk as a 2009 young adult, then the original Jim Kirk would've been a hippie decked out in flower power and high on drugs.

But James Kirk was not an overgrown kid in 1967. There were just as many lost, directionless kids in 1967 as there were in 2009. But James Kirk was not one of them. He was portrayed as a responsible adult. He was a man, not an overgrown kid.

Contrary to his reputation, James Kirk in the TV series was actually pro-establishment, and a surprisingly rigid by-the-books militaristic officer. The original James Kirk was definitely on the other side of the counter culture movement.

I get that the Chris Pine version of Kirk behaves like he does because of the altered timeline with his dead dad. I understand the logistics of it. My issue is that he never should have been written that way in the first place. The defining trait of Captain Kirk is that he was an Alpha Male who commanded the unquestioned respect of his crew. The NuTrek version of him totally missed that. Nobody respects him in NuTrek; he's really just one of the guys. Chris Pine portrays him more like a lovable rogue than an Alpha Dog.
Old Yesterday, 09:50 PM   #893
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Rouge View Post
Kirk does get his ass handed to him in both movies. Cup Cake, Spock, Khan. man can't win with his fists.
nuSpock Rage Power, ACTIVATE!!! Let's see if he can make it three for three in the next movie, he'd probably beat up the Enterprise if he could.
Old Yesterday, 09:59 PM   #894
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
nuSpock Rage Power, ACTIVATE!!! Let's see if he can make it three for three in the next movie, he'd probably beat up the Enterprise if he could.
I do love it when new Spock loses his shit with increasing regularity. The guy will go on a rampage if the food dispensers fails to add chocolate sprinkles to his frappe latte ... I expect laser beams coming out of his eyeballs in number 3!
"Sometimes it scares me how far away my brain is." DC
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE
''I have no idea what Hammer Time is. Or how it differs from regular time.'' DM
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 10:07 PM   #895
Expert Member

Feb 2015
Dallas, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
I do love it when new Spock loses his shit with increasing regularity. The guy will go on a rampage if the food dispensers fails to add chocolate sprinkles to his frappe latte ... I expect laser beams coming out of his eyeballs in number 3!
he just watched his planet get destroyed, he IS emotionally compromised

vulcans are probably flipping their shit all over the place
Old Yesterday, 10:18 PM   #896
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
If I'd been drinking a beverage when reading that last bit then it would've been spat over my laptop! And if Orci, Lindelof and co were still involved with writing it then they probably would've done it, too.
Thanks given by:
chip75 (Yesterday)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies