COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Breaking Bad: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$102.49
House of Cards: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$23.49
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$183.99
Disney Parks: The Secrets, Stories and Magic Behind the Scenes (Blu-ray)
$9.95
Veep: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$20.99
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Battle Royale (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Showdown (Blu-ray)
$37.95
Earth From Above: Stunning Water (Blu-ray)
$9.95
Masters of Sex: Season One (Blu-ray)
$29.49
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$44.96
Batman: Assault on Arkham (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Inside Llewyn Davis (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Brick Mansions (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Stalingrad 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.49
Sabrina (Blu-ray)
$11.99
Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries: Series 2 (Blu-ray)
$30.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 11-04-2013, 04:51 PM   #921

Oct 2009
nYc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
It won't be on Blu-ray, though. A movie like The Sword in the Stone gets one shot at release in a format's lifecycle. We won't see a better transfer until the next 4K format takes over.
Well it had two dedicated DVD releases (2001 and 2008), three if you count this current new transfer.

I think there is definitely a shot at getting this fixed if people actually complained. There seems to be too much of this defeatist attitude here on the forum, like "why bother, they won't care anyway". It's kinda what Disney said to themselves when they released this rubbish.

It's pretty clear that if we, the fans, don't complain en mass, nothing will change and we may even keep getting these shitty releases. This might have been a pilot transfer for all we know, and if we don't speak up they will continue doing this.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:23 PM   #922

Dec 2012

What is the very best PQ copy of this movie out there?

A digital copy or one of the two DVD sets?
Old 11-04-2013, 11:51 PM   #923
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
Athens, Greece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade View Post
What is the very best PQ copy of this movie out there?

A digital copy or one of the two DVD sets?
the iTunes HD rip which floats around the net. It uses the old DVD master but it looks miles better than the current Blu-ray.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:16 AM   #924

Mar 2012
Buffalo, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by postulio View Post
Well it had two dedicated DVD releases (2001 and 2008), three if you count this current new transfer.

I think there is definitely a shot at getting this fixed if people actually complained. There seems to be too much of this defeatist attitude here on the forum, like "why bother, they won't care anyway". It's kinda what Disney said to themselves when they released this rubbish.

It's pretty clear that if we, the fans, don't complain en mass, nothing will change and we may even keep getting these shitty releases. This might have been a pilot transfer for all we know, and if we don't speak up they will continue doing this.
Which is exactly why everyone who owns, or wants to own this release SHOULD complain, and EVERY sub par release Disney puts out. At $25-$30 a crack for these movies, I would certainly expect a great deal more for my dollars.

Disney isn't Universal, but with this release and Mickey's Christmas Carol, I am beginning to wonder if one hand knows what the other is doing at the studios anymore. Its as if whoever is making these decisions does not really understand (or care for that matter) that the end product is far less superior to a previous format (DVD).
Old 11-20-2013, 07:58 PM   #925
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2009

Sorry if this has been brought up before, but it just came to me today. This scene from the movie is now quite possibly a metaphor for the Blu-ray "restoration". Arthur and Merlin represent two people in the restoration business, with Arthur being a professional and Merlin being an amateur, and the dishes represent the Blu-ray picture. Arthur begins by cleaning up slowly and carefully, and then Merlin steps in and takes the job into his hands, and does a few tricks without giving much focused attention that results in a rushed scrubbing of what's in front of him. Arthur says that he is supposed to do it, to which Merlin replies with "No one will know the difference, son. Who cares as long as the work is done?" And in a later scene, Sir Ector represents the general public furious over the work that's been done.

Old 02-19-2014, 01:42 AM   #926

Sep 2009

This is definitely a first for Disney animation on Blu-ray, complete and utter butchering of the video quality. I got a good deal on this Blu-ray, but I am going to return it because I have heard nothing from Disney. Too bad, I will stick to my Gold Collection DVD.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:30 PM   #927
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
This is definitely a first for Disney animation on Blu-ray, complete and utter butchering of the video quality. I got a good deal on this Blu-ray, but I am going to return it because I have heard nothing from Disney. Too bad, I will stick to my Gold Collection DVD.
A first??
I would say it's the rule for Disney.
Most wanted Blurays: Raintree County (2015?), Star Wars OT, Sissi Trilogy, Spacecamp, Spacehunter: adventures in the forbidden zone, Maurice, Explorers, Mayerling, Supergirl, Krull (2014), Free Willy, Return to Oz, True Lies (2014?), Abyss (2014?), Bringing Up Baby, Death in Venice, Wilde, Ulysses 31, Ducktales, Candy Candy (anime series)
Old 02-19-2014, 12:35 PM   #928
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2011
Shropshire, England

Quote:
Nah they've screwed up quite a few times in the past whether it being video or audio.

They've had a bad habit of over restoring their films in the past and completely screwing up the transfers of their films.

Their Cinderella BD is a good example of this.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:38 AM   #929

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fallen Deity View Post
Nah they've screwed up quite a few times in the past whether it being video or audio.

They've had a bad habit of over restoring their films in the past and completely screwing up the transfers of their films.

Their Cinderella BD is a good example of this.
Cinderella and some of their BDs could be argued were a bit overzealous on the restoration yes, and sometimes had a glitch or editing error.

But I think that is different than in this case, which is clearly an abomination. It looks like a water color painting instead of hand drawn animation.

I haven't seen Disney flub this bad since Gangs of NY and Scary Movie!
Old 02-21-2014, 02:46 AM   #930

Sep 2009

So, Gold Collection DVD vs 45th Anniversary DVD - pretty much the same or big difference?
Old 02-21-2014, 03:23 AM   #931
Banned

Dec 2013
The Forbidden Zone

Interesting, Hot dogs taste like water? Hmmm....
Old 02-21-2014, 04:04 AM   #932
Special Member

Aug 2013

Quote:
So, Gold Collection DVD vs 45th Anniversary DVD - pretty much the same or big difference?
I decided to go with the Gold Collection because it has the full anthology show episode, not just an excerpt like the 45th/50th editions.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:18 PM   #933
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2008
Dagobah

Quote:
Originally Posted by postulio View Post

Completely agree with you. Where can we complain?
Old 04-19-2014, 10:03 PM   #934
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnds500 View Post
I haven't compared the 2 but from the looks of the old Gold DVD I'd say it's similar with different colour timings.

[Show spoiler]

Thanks for these.
Just to confirm: Both the Gold and the 45th transfers are 1.33:1 aspect ratio, yes?

Slightly different color timings and, if I understand correctly, the Gold edition has more complete extras?

Anything else?

Last edited by thebard; 04-20-2014 at 01:42 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America