COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$91.99
Y Tu Mamá También (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Okami-San & Her Seven Companions: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$23.99
The Other Woman (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Dream Theater: Breaking the Fourth Wall (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Picnic at Hanging Rock (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Sons of Anarchy: Season Six (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Archer: The Complete Season Three (Blu-ray)
$12.96
The Devil Is a Part-Timer! Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$40.18
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Fargo: Season One (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Love Streams (Blu-ray)
$19.99
All That Jazz (Blu-ray)
$25.20
Being John Malkovich (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Moms' Night Out (Blu-ray)
$16.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies

Old 02-01-2013, 08:15 AM   #101

Aug 2011
Christchurch, New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by levcore View Post
My copy arrived today. it has a very nice lenticular slip in the UK. Will get round to watching this later in the week.
Yep, the lenticular cover is pretty good...the movie Whoa! I watched one of the featurettes before watching and the directors etc were pitching it as a "zombie movie for kids" - I sat there thinkin what were they thinkin? - some of the imagery could be downright freaky for kids! (and maybe some adults - I might have nightmares tonight myself )

Very well made movie I must say - kinda plods along at the start though, a few of the characters seemed a bit hit and miss - but I really liked the overall stereo-typical homage to "classic" horror, real (slow moving) Zombies, blonde bimbo's high school football types! Later it kicks in and takes you on a kinda mind-warped "alternative world" ride....

The 3D I thought was conservative - the previous movie from this studio "Coraline" has better depth and usage of 3D overall. Some scenes are pretty good, but there's nothing that stands out or could be used as a 3D reference. You do have to admire the level of detail that these guys have put into the sets and characters models - and maybe this would have been lost (or overlooked) by the viewer if they had up'd the anti on the 3D. Personally I think they kinda missed the boat and maybe should have pushed the limits a little more to give us a bit of "scare factor" with Zombie hands flailing or ghostly figures hovering out of the screen etc etc...

It's certainly worth a watch if "horror" movies (if it really falls into that category) are your thing.....I suggest you take in the previously mentioned featurettes to really appreciate the full art of this movie...

Chris
It's 3D for Me!
Old 04-19-2013, 03:01 AM   #102
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NzScreamindemon View Post
The 3D I thought was conservative - the previous movie from this studio "Coraline" has better depth and usage of 3D overall. Some scenes are pretty good, but there's nothing that stands out or could be used as a 3D reference. You do have to admire the level of detail that these guys have put into the sets and characters models - and maybe this would have been lost (or overlooked) by the viewer if they had up'd the anti on the 3D. Personally I think they kinda missed the boat and maybe should have pushed the limits a little more to give us a bit of "scare factor" with Zombie hands flailing or ghostly figures hovering out of the screen etc etc...

Chris
Agreed. Push the 3D, don't play it safe like Paranorman did with the 3D. There were times where it was almost 2D and had me flipping up my glasses wondering what happened to the earlier depth during the day time scenes.

Even so, exceptional animation and I couldn't believe this was not mostly computer animation. Wow.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:31 PM   #103

Mar 2012

Strange. Is the search engine buggy?

I did a search for ParaNorman before I created the other thread but nothing came up.

Gae
Old 04-19-2013, 03:44 PM   #104
Power Member

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gae View Post
Strange. Is the search engine buggy?

I did a search for ParaNorman before I created the other thread but nothing came up.

Gae
Found from trial and error that to get the names of threads I want that are already in the data-base I have to click on the "Advanced Search" link located at the bottom of the Search pop-up list. The standard search engine is buggy.
Avatar: "The Annunciation to the Shepherds" Painting by Nicolas Berchem (1680-1683)
BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection
Old 04-19-2013, 08:43 PM   #105

Mar 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
Found from trial and error that to get the names of threads I want that are already in the data-base I have to click on the "Advanced Search" link located at the bottom of the Search pop-up list. The standard search engine is buggy.
Ah, that explains it...thanks!

Gae
Old 04-20-2013, 12:57 AM   #106
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
USA
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gae View Post
Ah, that explains it...thanks!

Gae
You're correct about the search engine. I've done a lot of searches on topics I knew existed, and it brought up everything but what I typed in to find. Oh well. That actually happens a lot. So as suggested, I'll have to try the advanced search option more often, but also had similar results.

Just in case, here's a link to Gaetano's 3D Review of Paranorman 3D.
Thanks Gae.

http://3dperfection.blogspot.co.uk/2...aranorman.html
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies