Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Big Country (Blu-ray)
$19.98
14 hrs ago
Saving Private Ryan 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96
 
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$4.99
 
Grease 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
The Martian Chronicles (Blu-ray)
$25.66
13 hrs ago
Independence Day: Resurgence (Blu-ray)
$4.99
 
Hotel Transylvania 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$7.99
5 hrs ago
The Hunt (Blu-ray)
$9.99
8 hrs ago
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$17.24
11 hrs ago
Miracle (Blu-ray)
$5.99
 
Gun Crazy (Blu-ray)
$17.97
13 hrs ago
Hotel Transylvania 3D (Blu-ray)
$7.99
7 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Pre/Pro, Amplifiers and Separate Systems


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2011, 09:59 PM   #21
Big Daddy Big Daddy is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Big Daddy's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
Southern California
79
122
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarredoa View Post
I'm glad u mentioned that. Originally I thought that the HF noise from the receiver's outputs would be converted to low-level and then enter the external amp's input stage and get amplified to the speakers. But if I match the filters' impedance to that of the speakers all it does is put an 8 ohm load in series with 24 kohm, insignificant attenuation.

However, the HF distortion/noise issue is a thing of the past. I used my line-level converter and used the rca outs to plug in to an old sony receiver with multi-channel inputs. While I wasn't expecting extra headroom or fidelity, I was listening for any audible noise, even at loud volumes. To my surprise, no noise whatsoever. So if a low-end sony receiver acting as a power amp generated no audible noise, then I think I can get away using my line-level converter to feed quality power amplifiers!

My only installation concern is that these power amps have removable ends, so that the component width can be brought down to 17 inches from the specified 19.

Can the ends of the front-plate of your EPX3000 be removed? In other words the rack mountable holes be removed?
You should be able to remove them. On most amps, they are attached with a couple of screws to the sides of the amplifier.
HT Room: Panasonic PT-AE8000, Epson 1080UB Proj., Mitsubishi 65" Diamond Series HD TV, Yamaha-RX-A3010 Rec., CinePro 6-Ch. Amp. (350 W/Ch, 8 Ohm), Proton D1200 Amp., Behringer EP4000 & EPX3000 Amps., Oppo BDP-83, Sony BDP-S790, Audio Technica Tuntable, Mitsubishi S-VHS, 2 Def. Tech. Super Towers w 15" subs, 1 Def. Tech. Center & 1 Martin-Logan Center, 2 Def. Tech. Surr. & 2 PSB Surr., 2 Cadence Presence, 2 Bose 901 Rears, 2 Modified HSU 12" Subs, 1 ED DIY 12" Sub, 1 ED DIY 15" Sub, Velodyne SMS-1 Subwoofer Equalizer, DirecTV HD, Monster HTS 5000 & APC H15 Power Conditioners.
Two-Channel Room: XiangSheng Tube Preamp., Carver TFM-45 Amp. (375 W/Ch), Behringer EPX4000 Amp., Onkyo CD player, Denon Turntable, Yamaha Tuner, 2 Vintage Polk RTA-15TL Speakers, 2 LCY 100 Super Tweeters, 2 DIY Folded Horn Super Towers with 15" Sub., 1 Modified AA HD-SUB12
Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" Diamond Series TV, Yamaha DSP-A3090 Rec., DirecTV HD-DVR, PS3, Zvox Speaker, 1 DIY 12" Sub.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:32 PM   #22
rarredoa rarredoa is offline
Active Member
 
rarredoa's Avatar
 
Apr 2007
Los Angeles
32
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
You should be able to remove them. On most amps, they are attached with a couple of screws to the sides of the amplifier.
I finally received my gemini xga-3000 power amp. It's rated at 150 * 2, 8 ohms. I'll be honest with you, i wasn't impressed with the power that I was expecting my rti's 12 to put out with the new amp. Granted I will say that the tightness of the music sounded much better and realistic than it did with the receiver's on-board amplifiers. I even bridged the amp, which is supposed to put out 400 watts rms at 8 ohms. Better sound, but still a little disappointed with the output to the towers.

The real intention for buying the amplifier though, wasn't for my tower speakers. It was for bridging to power my center speaker which is pretty large, Polk CSi5, which I understand has a high power rating. I bridged the amp to drive the center, and started watching movies with lots of dialogue. This is finally where i was impressed with the amplifier. Voices were clearer, much clearer and realistic-sounding. I'm sure that the added power had a lot to do with it, but I noticed that the damping factor for the amp is rated at >350. Dunno what a "good" amplifier's damping factor is, but I am pleased with this.

My conclusion is that 150 watts simply isn't enough to power my RTI 12's and that even 400 showed some improvement. Is it possible that my attenuation/conversion circuit attenuated the signal too much? Would a 2-volt input signal to the EPX3000 be too high? Maybe the output stage of the two amplifiers is drastically different, class-H is supposed to have better transient response than the Gemini's, which I believe is class A-B.

P.S. I can't remove the mounting brackets on the gemini, so i'm stuck with having to hide the amp out of view (bright LED's). I hope the Behringer's are removable.
Pannasonic BD65/Yamaha RX-A700/Viera 50PZ85U
POLK RTi12 (Bi-amp), CSi5, 2-pair FXi4
Definitive Techonology Supercube Reference (LFE)
DIY Sub with Dayton Audio Reference 15" HO driver
External amps, Gemini XGA3000, Behringer EP4000.

MSI A75MA mobo, AMD Hudson D3 chipset
Radeon RD 260x 2GB GDDR5/16 GB RAM/AMD Quad Core A8
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:41 PM   #23
Big Daddy Big Daddy is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Big Daddy's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
Southern California
79
122
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarredoa View Post
I finally received my gemini xga-3000 power amp. It's rated at 150 * 2, 8 ohms. I'll be honest with you, i wasn't impressed with the power that I was expecting my rti's 12 to put out with the new amp. Granted I will say that the tightness of the music sounded much better and realistic than it did with the receiver's on-board amplifiers. I even bridged the amp, which is supposed to put out 400 watts rms at 8 ohms. Better sound, but still a little disappointed with the output to the towers.

The real intention for buying the amplifier though, wasn't for my tower speakers. It was for bridging to power my center speaker which is pretty large, Polk CSi5, which I understand has a high power rating. I bridged the amp to drive the center, and started watching movies with lots of dialogue. This is finally where i was impressed with the amplifier. Voices were clearer, much clearer and realistic-sounding. I'm sure that the added power had a lot to do with it, but I noticed that the damping factor for the amp is rated at >350. Dunno what a "good" amplifier's damping factor is, but I am pleased with this.

My conclusion is that 150 watts simply isn't enough to power my RTI 12's and that even 400 showed some improvement. Is it possible that my attenuation/conversion circuit attenuated the signal too much? Would a 2-volt input signal to the EPX3000 be too high? Maybe the output stage of the two amplifiers is drastically different, class-H is supposed to have better transient response than the Gemini's, which I believe is class A-B.

P.S. I can't remove the mounting brackets on the gemini, so i'm stuck with having to hide the amp out of view (bright LED's). I hope the Behringer's are removable.
I am glad that the amp finally worked for your center channel speakers.

It is possible that you are attenuating the signal too much. The Input Sensitivity of the Behringer EPX3000 is 1 volt and the Input Sensitivity of the Gemini XGA3000 is 0.77 volt.

Are you using XLR to RCA cables? If the answer is yes, that can account for the drop in output. How about the gains on the amplifier? How high are you setting them?

I don't know how accurately Gemini rates its amplifiers. Judging by how much they charge for the amp, they are probably exaggerating the power ratings. When I used the Behringer Europower EP4000 in my 2-channel room, the speakers really rocked. The Behringer amps do not have RCA inputs. I used a Samson S-Convert to convert XLR to RCA and that made a lot of difference. Without the Samson, I had to turn the gains all the way up. With Samson S-Convert, the gains are set at around 15%.

You can find more about Samson S-Convert in the Behringer thread.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/pre-pro-amp...rs-thread.html
HT Room: Panasonic PT-AE8000, Epson 1080UB Proj., Mitsubishi 65" Diamond Series HD TV, Yamaha-RX-A3010 Rec., CinePro 6-Ch. Amp. (350 W/Ch, 8 Ohm), Proton D1200 Amp., Behringer EP4000 & EPX3000 Amps., Oppo BDP-83, Sony BDP-S790, Audio Technica Tuntable, Mitsubishi S-VHS, 2 Def. Tech. Super Towers w 15" subs, 1 Def. Tech. Center & 1 Martin-Logan Center, 2 Def. Tech. Surr. & 2 PSB Surr., 2 Cadence Presence, 2 Bose 901 Rears, 2 Modified HSU 12" Subs, 1 ED DIY 12" Sub, 1 ED DIY 15" Sub, Velodyne SMS-1 Subwoofer Equalizer, DirecTV HD, Monster HTS 5000 & APC H15 Power Conditioners.
Two-Channel Room: XiangSheng Tube Preamp., Carver TFM-45 Amp. (375 W/Ch), Behringer EPX4000 Amp., Onkyo CD player, Denon Turntable, Yamaha Tuner, 2 Vintage Polk RTA-15TL Speakers, 2 LCY 100 Super Tweeters, 2 DIY Folded Horn Super Towers with 15" Sub., 1 Modified AA HD-SUB12
Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" Diamond Series TV, Yamaha DSP-A3090 Rec., DirecTV HD-DVR, PS3, Zvox Speaker, 1 DIY 12" Sub.

Last edited by Big Daddy; 01-25-2011 at 04:46 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:37 PM   #24
rarredoa rarredoa is offline
Active Member
 
rarredoa's Avatar
 
Apr 2007
Los Angeles
32
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
I am glad that the amp finally worked for your center channel speakers.

It is possible that you are attenuating the signal too much. The Input Sensitivity of the Behringer EPX3000 is 1 volt and the Input Sensitivity of the Gemini XGA3000 is 0.77 volt.

Are you using XLR to RCA cables? If the answer is yes, that can account for the drop in output. How about the gains on the amplifier? How high are you setting them?

I don't know how accurately Gemini rates its amplifiers. Judging by how much they charge for the amp, they are probably exaggerating the power ratings. When I used the Behringer Europower EP4000 in my 2-channel room, the speakers really rocked. The Behringer amps do not have RCA inputs. I used a Samson S-Convert to convert XLR to RCA and that made a lot of difference. Without the Samson, I had to turn the gains all the way up. With Samson S-Convert, the gains are set at around 15%.

You can find more about Samson S-Convert in the Behringer thread.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/pre-pro-amp...rs-thread.html
The gains are about 60% up while bridged. I am using the RCA-RCA connections from my line-level converter to the Gemini. The output voltage for the rca output is 1.03 volts which should be more than adequate for the gemini. I don't have the Behringer yet. I will so I'll have to properly bias the resistors for THOSE inputs for when I purchase it. I wasn't expecting night-day fidelity (for the polk towers) with the Gemini, however I have high expectations with the EPX 3000.

My question to you is... by powering my rti 12 towers with the behringer, will the output be strong enough to run them full range and expect tight, deep and powerful bass, without having to use my supercube sub to cover the low-end?

I currently have bass management setup to high pass the towers at 50 hz and let the supercube do the rest. I am more than happy with this, but of course, I'm always wanting to upgrade! Although I am a sound junkie, I don't want to sacrifice bass punch and depth. I believe the power increase with the high damping factor will give me clean and tight sound, but I love rumble

What should I expect? I know this is a difficult question, but does a huge increase in power translate to much better sound at moderate listening levels?

PS, I have to work on setting up a 12V trigger to power the amp along with the receiver, I'd hate to have to manually power my amp individually. My receiver should have the 12 V trigger but not the gemini.
Pannasonic BD65/Yamaha RX-A700/Viera 50PZ85U
POLK RTi12 (Bi-amp), CSi5, 2-pair FXi4
Definitive Techonology Supercube Reference (LFE)
DIY Sub with Dayton Audio Reference 15" HO driver
External amps, Gemini XGA3000, Behringer EP4000.

MSI A75MA mobo, AMD Hudson D3 chipset
Radeon RD 260x 2GB GDDR5/16 GB RAM/AMD Quad Core A8

Last edited by rarredoa; 01-25-2011 at 09:45 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:00 AM   #25
Big Daddy Big Daddy is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Big Daddy's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
Southern California
79
122
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarredoa View Post
The gains are about 60% up while bridged. I am using the RCA-RCA connections from my line-level converter to the Gemini. The output voltage for the rca output is 1.03 volts which should be more than adequate for the gemini. I don't have the Behringer yet. I will so I'll have to properly bias the resistors for THOSE inputs for when I purchase it. I wasn't expecting night-day fidelity (for the polk towers) with the Gemini, however I have high expectations with the EPX 3000.

My question to you is... by powering my rti 12 towers with the behringer, will the output be strong enough to run them full range and expect tight, deep and powerful bass, without having to use my supercube sub to cover the low-end?

I currently have bass management setup to high pass the towers at 50 hz and let the supercube do the rest. I am more than happy with this, but of course, I'm always wanting to upgrade! Although I am a sound junkie, I don't want to sacrifice bass punch and depth. I believe the power increase with the high damping factor will give me clean and tight sound, but I love rumble

What should I expect? I know this is a difficult question, but does a huge increase in power translate to much better sound at moderate listening levels?

PS, I have to work on setting up a 12V trigger to power the amp along with the receiver, I'd hate to have to manually power my amp individually. My receiver should have the 12 V trigger but not the gemini.
Bass management has nothing to do with how powerful your amplifiers are. In general, you should let your strategically placed subwoofer(s) generate the lower frequenies. My front speakers have built-in 15-inch powered subwoofers (300 watts each) and can go down to 15Hz. A very powerful Cinepro amplifier powers the 4 mid-range drivers and and the 2 tweeters (they are bipolar) in each of them. I still set them to Small with a crossover of 60Hz and let the 8 external subwoofers do their job. I need a few more subwoofers.

I have 8 amplifiers in my HT room. They are located in different parts of the room. I manually turn them on and off. It is good excercise. Don't be lazy.
HT Room: Panasonic PT-AE8000, Epson 1080UB Proj., Mitsubishi 65" Diamond Series HD TV, Yamaha-RX-A3010 Rec., CinePro 6-Ch. Amp. (350 W/Ch, 8 Ohm), Proton D1200 Amp., Behringer EP4000 & EPX3000 Amps., Oppo BDP-83, Sony BDP-S790, Audio Technica Tuntable, Mitsubishi S-VHS, 2 Def. Tech. Super Towers w 15" subs, 1 Def. Tech. Center & 1 Martin-Logan Center, 2 Def. Tech. Surr. & 2 PSB Surr., 2 Cadence Presence, 2 Bose 901 Rears, 2 Modified HSU 12" Subs, 1 ED DIY 12" Sub, 1 ED DIY 15" Sub, Velodyne SMS-1 Subwoofer Equalizer, DirecTV HD, Monster HTS 5000 & APC H15 Power Conditioners.
Two-Channel Room: XiangSheng Tube Preamp., Carver TFM-45 Amp. (375 W/Ch), Behringer EPX4000 Amp., Onkyo CD player, Denon Turntable, Yamaha Tuner, 2 Vintage Polk RTA-15TL Speakers, 2 LCY 100 Super Tweeters, 2 DIY Folded Horn Super Towers with 15" Sub., 1 Modified AA HD-SUB12
Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" Diamond Series TV, Yamaha DSP-A3090 Rec., DirecTV HD-DVR, PS3, Zvox Speaker, 1 DIY 12" Sub.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:01 AM   #26
rarredoa rarredoa is offline
Active Member
 
rarredoa's Avatar
 
Apr 2007
Los Angeles
32
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
Bass management has nothing to do with how powerful your amplifiers are. In general, you should let your strategically placed subwoofer(s) generate the lower frequenies. My front speakers have built-in 15-inch powered subwoofers (300 watts each) and can go down to 15Hz. A very powerful Cinepro amplifier powers the 4 mid-range drivers and and the 2 tweeters (they are bipolar) in each of them. I still set them to Small with a crossover of 60Hz and let the 8 external subwoofers do their job. I need a few more subwoofers.

I have 8 amplifiers in my HT room. They are located in different parts of the room. I manually turn them on and off. It is good excercise. Don't be lazy.
I'd love to see how you prevent destructive interference, with so many different drivers playing the same frequencies. I wish I had a 1/3 octave equalizer to fine-tune across the entire spectrum, wonder if Audissey is close enough.

I just love building circuits... so that's the motivation for a turn-on circuit and by the way... I am a utility engineer... and you, my friend must have a HUGE electricity bill!
Pannasonic BD65/Yamaha RX-A700/Viera 50PZ85U
POLK RTi12 (Bi-amp), CSi5, 2-pair FXi4
Definitive Techonology Supercube Reference (LFE)
DIY Sub with Dayton Audio Reference 15" HO driver
External amps, Gemini XGA3000, Behringer EP4000.

MSI A75MA mobo, AMD Hudson D3 chipset
Radeon RD 260x 2GB GDDR5/16 GB RAM/AMD Quad Core A8

Last edited by rarredoa; 01-26-2011 at 02:05 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:10 AM   #27
Big Daddy Big Daddy is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Big Daddy's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
Southern California
79
122
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarredoa View Post
I just love building circuits... so that's the motivation for a turn-on circuit and by the way... I am a utility engineer... and you, my friend must have a HUGE electricity bill!
The city I live in controls the utility. We get one bill for electricity, water, and sewage. My monthly bill is normally in the $400 to $500 range, with electricity being the biggest culprit. A couple of times in the summer, the bill went over $600. The lowest it has ever been is around $350. The other problem is that we have a huge garden and a swimming pool. They add to the cost of water in dry Southern California.
HT Room: Panasonic PT-AE8000, Epson 1080UB Proj., Mitsubishi 65" Diamond Series HD TV, Yamaha-RX-A3010 Rec., CinePro 6-Ch. Amp. (350 W/Ch, 8 Ohm), Proton D1200 Amp., Behringer EP4000 & EPX3000 Amps., Oppo BDP-83, Sony BDP-S790, Audio Technica Tuntable, Mitsubishi S-VHS, 2 Def. Tech. Super Towers w 15" subs, 1 Def. Tech. Center & 1 Martin-Logan Center, 2 Def. Tech. Surr. & 2 PSB Surr., 2 Cadence Presence, 2 Bose 901 Rears, 2 Modified HSU 12" Subs, 1 ED DIY 12" Sub, 1 ED DIY 15" Sub, Velodyne SMS-1 Subwoofer Equalizer, DirecTV HD, Monster HTS 5000 & APC H15 Power Conditioners.
Two-Channel Room: XiangSheng Tube Preamp., Carver TFM-45 Amp. (375 W/Ch), Behringer EPX4000 Amp., Onkyo CD player, Denon Turntable, Yamaha Tuner, 2 Vintage Polk RTA-15TL Speakers, 2 LCY 100 Super Tweeters, 2 DIY Folded Horn Super Towers with 15" Sub., 1 Modified AA HD-SUB12
Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" Diamond Series TV, Yamaha DSP-A3090 Rec., DirecTV HD-DVR, PS3, Zvox Speaker, 1 DIY 12" Sub.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:52 AM   #28
rarredoa rarredoa is offline
Active Member
 
rarredoa's Avatar
 
Apr 2007
Los Angeles
32
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
The city I live in controls the utility. We get one bill for electricity, water, and sewage. My monthly bill is normally in the $400 to $500 range, with electricity being the biggest culprit. A couple of times in the summer, the bill went over $600. The lowest it has ever been is around $350. The other problem is that we have a huge garden and a swimming pool. They add to the cost of water in dry Southern California.
Likewise, I'm in so-cal too, and I think I know what utility serves you, I work for a different one.

Back to the original topic, I love hi-fi!

I thought about doing a DIY sub build, I have a spare def-tech supercube ref driver, 14", that I plan on possibly using for this project, maybe one of those dayton audio mk subs, like crazy-blue's, my compliments on that build if you read this blue! I'll need to find a power source for it though... I have come across several def-tech plate amps for subs on ebay, for pretty decent prices, some of them have actually been supercube amps!

THe nice thing about plate-amps is that they'll have their own speaker-level inputs.

What's your take on plate amps? If I can score a supercube amp at a decent price, consider my new sub built!
Pannasonic BD65/Yamaha RX-A700/Viera 50PZ85U
POLK RTi12 (Bi-amp), CSi5, 2-pair FXi4
Definitive Techonology Supercube Reference (LFE)
DIY Sub with Dayton Audio Reference 15" HO driver
External amps, Gemini XGA3000, Behringer EP4000.

MSI A75MA mobo, AMD Hudson D3 chipset
Radeon RD 260x 2GB GDDR5/16 GB RAM/AMD Quad Core A8
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:01 AM   #29
Big Daddy Big Daddy is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Big Daddy's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
Southern California
79
122
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarredoa View Post
Likewise, I'm in so-cal too, and I think I know what utility serves you, I work for a different one.

Back to the original topic, I love hi-fi!

I thought about doing a DIY sub build, I have a spare def-tech supercube ref driver, 14", that I plan on possibly using for this project, maybe one of those dayton audio mk subs, like crazy-blue's, my compliments on that build if you read this blue! I'll need to find a power source for it though... I have come across several def-tech plate amps for subs on ebay, for pretty decent prices, some of them have actually been supercube amps!

THe nice thing about plate-amps is that they'll have their own speaker-level inputs.

What's your take on plate amps? If I can score a supercube amp at a decent price, consider my new sub built!
I prefer external amps to plate amps. They tend to be better built and more reliable. Only one of my subwoofers has its own dedicated amplifier. The other subwoofers are powered by two Behringer amps (EP 4000 and EPX 3000), one Carver amp, one Pylepro (PT 4000) amp, and one DBX amp.

I am familiar with the dealer on Ebay who sells Def Tech parts. If you get a good deal on the plate amp, buy it.
HT Room: Panasonic PT-AE8000, Epson 1080UB Proj., Mitsubishi 65" Diamond Series HD TV, Yamaha-RX-A3010 Rec., CinePro 6-Ch. Amp. (350 W/Ch, 8 Ohm), Proton D1200 Amp., Behringer EP4000 & EPX3000 Amps., Oppo BDP-83, Sony BDP-S790, Audio Technica Tuntable, Mitsubishi S-VHS, 2 Def. Tech. Super Towers w 15" subs, 1 Def. Tech. Center & 1 Martin-Logan Center, 2 Def. Tech. Surr. & 2 PSB Surr., 2 Cadence Presence, 2 Bose 901 Rears, 2 Modified HSU 12" Subs, 1 ED DIY 12" Sub, 1 ED DIY 15" Sub, Velodyne SMS-1 Subwoofer Equalizer, DirecTV HD, Monster HTS 5000 & APC H15 Power Conditioners.
Two-Channel Room: XiangSheng Tube Preamp., Carver TFM-45 Amp. (375 W/Ch), Behringer EPX4000 Amp., Onkyo CD player, Denon Turntable, Yamaha Tuner, 2 Vintage Polk RTA-15TL Speakers, 2 LCY 100 Super Tweeters, 2 DIY Folded Horn Super Towers with 15" Sub., 1 Modified AA HD-SUB12
Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" Diamond Series TV, Yamaha DSP-A3090 Rec., DirecTV HD-DVR, PS3, Zvox Speaker, 1 DIY 12" Sub.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:13 AM   #30
sandman922 sandman922 is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
sandman922's Avatar
 
Nov 2010
florida
46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
Bass management has nothing to do with how powerful your amplifiers are. In general, you should let your strategically placed subwoofer(s) generate the lower frequenies. My front speakers have built-in 15-inch powered subwoofers (300 watts each) and can go down to 15Hz. A very powerful Cinepro amplifier powers the 4 mid-range drivers and and the 2 tweeters (they are bipolar) in each of them. I still set them to Small with a crossover of 60Hz and let the 8 external subwoofers do their job. I need a few more subwoofers.

I have 8 amplifiers in my HT room. They are located in different parts of the room. I manually turn them on and off. It is good excercise. Don't be lazy.
excuse me big daddy but did you say you have only 8 sub woofers? oh my freaking goodness no wonder you have your own power plant to run your system
AUDIO Marantz 5011 Naim XS2 naim flatcap
SPEAKERS Dynaudio x38s CCstudio esSprit ADP190S
VIDEO SAMSUNG PLASMA 58 INCH
OPPO BDP 93 / ps4 for gaming
SUBS SVS PB12NSD Power sound audio xs30se
TURN TABLE - REGA RP6 Ortofon 2m Black ifi phono stage bluesound node2
CABLES L/R SPEAKERS- AUDIOQUEST ROCKET 33
Interconnects audio quest g snake
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:50 AM   #31
Big Daddy Big Daddy is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Big Daddy's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
Southern California
79
122
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman922 View Post
excuse me big daddy but did you say you have only 8 sub woofers? oh my freaking goodness no wonder you have your own power plant to run your system
That is only in the HT room. I have a 12" sub in the two-channel room, another 12" in the family room, two computer subwoofers, and a couple of car subwoofers in the garage. The bass output is bit weak in my house and I need to build another another dozen subwoofers.
HT Room: Panasonic PT-AE8000, Epson 1080UB Proj., Mitsubishi 65" Diamond Series HD TV, Yamaha-RX-A3010 Rec., CinePro 6-Ch. Amp. (350 W/Ch, 8 Ohm), Proton D1200 Amp., Behringer EP4000 & EPX3000 Amps., Oppo BDP-83, Sony BDP-S790, Audio Technica Tuntable, Mitsubishi S-VHS, 2 Def. Tech. Super Towers w 15" subs, 1 Def. Tech. Center & 1 Martin-Logan Center, 2 Def. Tech. Surr. & 2 PSB Surr., 2 Cadence Presence, 2 Bose 901 Rears, 2 Modified HSU 12" Subs, 1 ED DIY 12" Sub, 1 ED DIY 15" Sub, Velodyne SMS-1 Subwoofer Equalizer, DirecTV HD, Monster HTS 5000 & APC H15 Power Conditioners.
Two-Channel Room: XiangSheng Tube Preamp., Carver TFM-45 Amp. (375 W/Ch), Behringer EPX4000 Amp., Onkyo CD player, Denon Turntable, Yamaha Tuner, 2 Vintage Polk RTA-15TL Speakers, 2 LCY 100 Super Tweeters, 2 DIY Folded Horn Super Towers with 15" Sub., 1 Modified AA HD-SUB12
Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" Diamond Series TV, Yamaha DSP-A3090 Rec., DirecTV HD-DVR, PS3, Zvox Speaker, 1 DIY 12" Sub.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:22 PM   #32
rarredoa rarredoa is offline
Active Member
 
rarredoa's Avatar
 
Apr 2007
Los Angeles
32
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
I prefer external amps to plate amps. They tend to be better built and more reliable. Only one of my subwoofers has its own dedicated amplifier. The other subwoofers are powered by two Behringer amps (EP 4000 and EPX 3000), one Carver amp, one Pylepro (PT 4000) amp, and one DBX amp.

I am familiar with the dealer on Ebay who sells Def Tech parts. If you get a good deal on the plate amp, buy it.
I decided to purchase a beefier surge protector for my expanding home theatre. In doing so I did some cable management and rearranged afew things only to realize that my center channel was generating crazy amounts of noise, even when the receiver was off. I am guessing the extra slack on my speaker cable and the proximity of power cables is causing this or maybe even my attenuation ckt. What do u think it could be?

By the way, are you happy with Pyle Pro amps? I see they're failrly inexpensive, wondering if i should go with Pyle over Gemini. I just have to fix that noise problem.
Pannasonic BD65/Yamaha RX-A700/Viera 50PZ85U
POLK RTi12 (Bi-amp), CSi5, 2-pair FXi4
Definitive Techonology Supercube Reference (LFE)
DIY Sub with Dayton Audio Reference 15" HO driver
External amps, Gemini XGA3000, Behringer EP4000.

MSI A75MA mobo, AMD Hudson D3 chipset
Radeon RD 260x 2GB GDDR5/16 GB RAM/AMD Quad Core A8

Last edited by rarredoa; 01-26-2011 at 02:49 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:10 PM   #33
Big Daddy Big Daddy is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Big Daddy's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
Southern California
79
122
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarredoa View Post
I decided to purchase a beefier surge protector for my expanding home theatre. In doing so I did some cable management and rearranged afew things only to realize that my center channel was generating crazy amounts of noise, even when the receiver was off. I am guessing the extra slack on my speaker cable and the proximity of power cables is causing this or maybe even my attenuation ckt. What do u think it could be?

By the way, are you happy with Pyle Pro amps? I see they're failrly inexpensive, wondering if i should go with Pyle over Gemini. I just have to fix that noise problem.
It is possible that you have ground hum problem. Check the following thread:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/home-theate...isolators.html


The only experience I have with Pyle Pro Amplifiers is the vintage PT-4000 amp that I bought used from Ebay for $170. It is perhaps among the best amplifiers that Pyle may have ever made. I use it to power a Clark Tactile Transducer and another 8" flat subwoofer. They are both installed under the sofa. The amplifier looks beautiful and works perfectly.


HT Room: Panasonic PT-AE8000, Epson 1080UB Proj., Mitsubishi 65" Diamond Series HD TV, Yamaha-RX-A3010 Rec., CinePro 6-Ch. Amp. (350 W/Ch, 8 Ohm), Proton D1200 Amp., Behringer EP4000 & EPX3000 Amps., Oppo BDP-83, Sony BDP-S790, Audio Technica Tuntable, Mitsubishi S-VHS, 2 Def. Tech. Super Towers w 15" subs, 1 Def. Tech. Center & 1 Martin-Logan Center, 2 Def. Tech. Surr. & 2 PSB Surr., 2 Cadence Presence, 2 Bose 901 Rears, 2 Modified HSU 12" Subs, 1 ED DIY 12" Sub, 1 ED DIY 15" Sub, Velodyne SMS-1 Subwoofer Equalizer, DirecTV HD, Monster HTS 5000 & APC H15 Power Conditioners.
Two-Channel Room: XiangSheng Tube Preamp., Carver TFM-45 Amp. (375 W/Ch), Behringer EPX4000 Amp., Onkyo CD player, Denon Turntable, Yamaha Tuner, 2 Vintage Polk RTA-15TL Speakers, 2 LCY 100 Super Tweeters, 2 DIY Folded Horn Super Towers with 15" Sub., 1 Modified AA HD-SUB12
Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" Diamond Series TV, Yamaha DSP-A3090 Rec., DirecTV HD-DVR, PS3, Zvox Speaker, 1 DIY 12" Sub.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:37 PM   #34
SpectrumOfPain SpectrumOfPain is offline
Senior Member
 
SpectrumOfPain's Avatar
 
Apr 2008
Houston, Texas
240
506
1
Default

I went to Fry's today and they had a line output converter that was rated at 80 watts per channel. Would it be a problem if I used this converter with my Denon 789 since the Denon is rated at 90 watts per channel.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:54 AM   #35
Big Daddy Big Daddy is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Big Daddy's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
Southern California
79
122
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectrumOfPain View Post
I went to Fry's today and they had a line output converter that was rated at 80 watts per channel. Would it be a problem if I used this converter with my Denon 789 since the Denon is rated at 90 watts per channel.
There should not be a problem. Even if the receiver is rated 90 watts, you only use a few watts under normal situations. I hope you don't normally turn the volume all the way up to its maximum point and make yourself deaf.
HT Room: Panasonic PT-AE8000, Epson 1080UB Proj., Mitsubishi 65" Diamond Series HD TV, Yamaha-RX-A3010 Rec., CinePro 6-Ch. Amp. (350 W/Ch, 8 Ohm), Proton D1200 Amp., Behringer EP4000 & EPX3000 Amps., Oppo BDP-83, Sony BDP-S790, Audio Technica Tuntable, Mitsubishi S-VHS, 2 Def. Tech. Super Towers w 15" subs, 1 Def. Tech. Center & 1 Martin-Logan Center, 2 Def. Tech. Surr. & 2 PSB Surr., 2 Cadence Presence, 2 Bose 901 Rears, 2 Modified HSU 12" Subs, 1 ED DIY 12" Sub, 1 ED DIY 15" Sub, Velodyne SMS-1 Subwoofer Equalizer, DirecTV HD, Monster HTS 5000 & APC H15 Power Conditioners.
Two-Channel Room: XiangSheng Tube Preamp., Carver TFM-45 Amp. (375 W/Ch), Behringer EPX4000 Amp., Onkyo CD player, Denon Turntable, Yamaha Tuner, 2 Vintage Polk RTA-15TL Speakers, 2 LCY 100 Super Tweeters, 2 DIY Folded Horn Super Towers with 15" Sub., 1 Modified AA HD-SUB12
Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" Diamond Series TV, Yamaha DSP-A3090 Rec., DirecTV HD-DVR, PS3, Zvox Speaker, 1 DIY 12" Sub.

Last edited by Big Daddy; 02-20-2011 at 02:58 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:15 AM   #36
SpectrumOfPain SpectrumOfPain is offline
Senior Member
 
SpectrumOfPain's Avatar
 
Apr 2008
Houston, Texas
240
506
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
There should not be a problem. Even if the receiver is rated 90 watts, you only use a few watts under normal situations. I hope you don't normally turn the volume all the way up to its maximum point and make yourself deaf.
Haha, no I do not listen to movies that loud but it is great news that this converter will suit my purposes. I'm glad that I do not have to upgrade my receiver just in order to get pre outs!
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:44 AM   #37
soundwave628 soundwave628 is offline
Senior Member
 
Jul 2011
Default

is it in any way bad to use amps this way? does the receiver still think its powering speakers and straining itself? I would love to get into amps and all this other fancy stuff the problem is it would be one big bill I really can't afford if I had to get an amp and a pre out receiver etc all in one go.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:57 AM   #38
crazyBLUE crazyBLUE is offline
Moderator
 
crazyBLUE's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
Pacific Northwest
89
479
1
38
30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundwave628 View Post
is it in any way bad to use amps this way? does the receiver still think its powering speakers and straining itself? I would love to get into amps and all this other fancy stuff the problem is it would be one big bill I really can't afford if I had to get an amp and a pre out receiver etc all in one go.
It is not as hard on the receiver to use an external amp. By using the receivers Pre-outs which is just sending a signal to the amps, The receiver is not using the internal amps it has (if all the speakers are being powered by externals) That means it is working less or not as hard depending on how many channels are being powered by external amplification.

You can always look into Pre-pro's which are like receivers without the internal amplifiers.
Brent

Changing to 4K ~ Got the 60" TV & enjoying the 4K Blu-rays.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:08 PM   #39
soundwave628 soundwave628 is offline
Senior Member
 
Jul 2011
Default

Right now I don't believe my receiver has pre-outs so I was wondering if it still was working its amp then just downgrading the signal or whatever lol When I upgrade my receiver,which will be a wihle most likely, I will probably get a pre-out one and amps etc but Right now I'm still trying to finish up my speaker setup and then hopefully upgrade my TV come tax return
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:24 AM   #40
Big Daddy Big Daddy is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Big Daddy's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
Southern California
79
122
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundwave628 View Post
Right now I don't believe my receiver has pre-outs so I was wondering if it still was working its amp then just downgrading the signal or whatever lol When I upgrade my receiver,which will be a wihle most likely, I will probably get a pre-out one and amps etc but Right now I'm still trying to finish up my speaker setup and then hopefully upgrade my TV come tax return
There is no free lunch. The receiver will have to work.
HT Room: Panasonic PT-AE8000, Epson 1080UB Proj., Mitsubishi 65" Diamond Series HD TV, Yamaha-RX-A3010 Rec., CinePro 6-Ch. Amp. (350 W/Ch, 8 Ohm), Proton D1200 Amp., Behringer EP4000 & EPX3000 Amps., Oppo BDP-83, Sony BDP-S790, Audio Technica Tuntable, Mitsubishi S-VHS, 2 Def. Tech. Super Towers w 15" subs, 1 Def. Tech. Center & 1 Martin-Logan Center, 2 Def. Tech. Surr. & 2 PSB Surr., 2 Cadence Presence, 2 Bose 901 Rears, 2 Modified HSU 12" Subs, 1 ED DIY 12" Sub, 1 ED DIY 15" Sub, Velodyne SMS-1 Subwoofer Equalizer, DirecTV HD, Monster HTS 5000 & APC H15 Power Conditioners.
Two-Channel Room: XiangSheng Tube Preamp., Carver TFM-45 Amp. (375 W/Ch), Behringer EPX4000 Amp., Onkyo CD player, Denon Turntable, Yamaha Tuner, 2 Vintage Polk RTA-15TL Speakers, 2 LCY 100 Super Tweeters, 2 DIY Folded Horn Super Towers with 15" Sub., 1 Modified AA HD-SUB12
Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" Diamond Series TV, Yamaha DSP-A3090 Rec., DirecTV HD-DVR, PS3, Zvox Speaker, 1 DIY 12" Sub.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Pre/Pro, Amplifiers and Separate Systems


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:09 PM.