Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
I Kill Giants (Blu-ray)
$9.99
12 hrs ago
The Day After (Blu-ray)
$19.98
6 hrs ago
Chappaquiddick (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Deadpool 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.96

The Naked Gun Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$10.06
11 hrs ago
The Lost City of Z (Blu-ray)
$4.99

2001: A Space Odyssey 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Book Club (Blu-ray)
$19.96

The Disaster Artist (Blu-ray)
$11.99
9 hrs ago
The Tree of Life (Blu-ray)
$22.89

Devilman Complete OVA Series (Blu-ray)
$19.29
8 hrs ago
Deadpool 1 + 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Pre/Pro, Amplifiers and Separate Systems

Old 03-14-2012, 09:43 PM   #1

Mar 2009
New Hampshire
Default Jolida JD9 phono preamp DIY upgrade w/ instructions

I'm continuing my DIY hobby and the latest project was upgrading my phono preamp. It's a great little phono preamp that can be taken to the next level with some simple modifications.

For anybody that is looking to upgrade their Jolida JD9, I made a step by step guide to upgrading the caps, opamps, tubes, and installing dampening material. I hope this guide helps those that are looking to upgrade.

Comments and suggestions always welcome!

Step by Step instruction guide link

Old 03-15-2012, 04:01 AM   #2
Special Member

Feb 2010
Columbia, MO

Have you experienced any issues with heat since adding the dampening material?

Have you tried any NOS tubes? I found I preferred older tubes to what is available on the market new today. I know this subject can be highly debatable.
-Speakers: Monitor Audio Silver RS8's, RSLCR, RSFX, Dual Epik Empires
-Powered by: Dual XPA-5's & MMC-1
-TV: Samsung 52" A750
-Sources: Pio Elite BDP-05fd, Toshiba HD-A30, XboX 360, DirecTV HD, HTPC, Music Hall MMF 5.1
-Extras: Music Hall 25.2 DAC, Goldpoint SA4, JoLida JD9, Harmony 1000, Panamax 5100 (x2), BFD Pro DSP1124P
-Cables: Blue Jeans, Audioquest, Monster, DIY Cat5, Belden, DNM
Old 03-15-2012, 12:13 PM   #3

Mar 2009
New Hampshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlafrenz View Post
Have you experienced any issues with heat since adding the dampening material?

Have you tried any NOS tubes? I found I preferred older tubes to what is available on the market new today. I know this subject can be highly debatable.
No heating issues whatsoever. The unit runs remarkably cool considering it's tube. I think the fact that the housing is such a large metal container and there are numerous vents, it does not present a problem (I would not recommend covering the vents with dampening material however).

I haven't tried NOS tubes, would definitely like to give them a try if I found a good matched pair at a reasonable price.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:01 PM   #4
Special Member

Feb 2010
Columbia, MO

I really like Amperex tubes in mine. Not always easy to find a pair at a reasonable price though. I haven't tried too many others as I was please with them once I put them in.

I started looking at some other threads on the web about mods for the JD9 and saw that you are using different opamps that the others. They are using AD843KN. Just curious how you chose these and if you have compared them to the others. Not sure I am ready to start cutting and re-soldering on mine, but swapping opamps is a good possibility.
-Sources: Pio Elite BDP-05fd, Toshiba HD-A30, XboX 360, DirecTV HD, HTPC, Music Hall MMF 5.1
-Extras: Music Hall 25.2 DAC, Goldpoint SA4, JoLida JD9, Harmony 1000, Panamax 5100 (x2), BFD Pro DSP1124P
Old 03-15-2012, 02:08 PM   #5

Mar 2009
New Hampshire

Quote:
I really like Amperex tubes in mine. Not always easy to find a pair at a reasonable price though. I haven't tried too many others as I was please with them once I put them in.

I started looking at some other threads on the web about mods for the JD9 and saw that you are using different opamps that the others. They are using AD843KN. Just curious how you chose these and if you have compared them to the others. Not sure I am ready to start cutting and re-soldering on mine, but swapping opamps is a good possibility.
I actually got the opamp idea from a thread that I found (I don't even recall where anymore). They seemed to have really good results with these so I took a "leap of faith". The opamps are pretty easy to replace so that is a good one to try out. Also, some people use a combination of different opamps as each channel takes 3. One thing I love about the JD9 is that there are so many combinations to try. They give slightly more gain then the stock opamps. Once again, I recommend them.

I got in a good hour of listening last night with the new configuration and it's amazing how much of an improvement there was. The first thing that struck me was that the clarity went through the roof. I can hear vocals crystal clear without any harshness. Also, the unit is dead quiet (I tried turning the volume up with no input) which was a concern as some have said there may be low level noise after upgrading. I really think this unit is competing well with the above $1k phono preamps out there.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:55 PM   #6
Special Member

Feb 2010
Columbia, MO

I am interested in swapping the op amps based upon the fact that everyone says they make an improvement in the clarity of the unit. There is a little confusion as to which ones though as Burr-Brown makes a version and then there are generic versions. I will have to do some more reading on this. I think that I will probably go with different ones for the different stages. It seems that replacing all 6 with the same has given some issues with hiss. I run mine into a passive pre so if there is a hiss it will get passed straight to the amps and be heard. I am interested to hear more of your thoughts with more listening.

Now to find the AudioCircle thread everyone references with the mods to do a little more homework.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:02 PM   #7

Mar 2009
New Hampshire

Quote:
I am interested in swapping the op amps based upon the fact that everyone says they make an improvement in the clarity of the unit. There is a little confusion as to which ones though as Burr-Brown makes a version and then there are generic versions. I will have to do some more reading on this. I think that I will probably go with different ones for the different stages. It seems that replacing all 6 with the same has given some issues with hiss. I run mine into a passive pre so if there is a hiss it will get passed straight to the amps and be heard. I am interested to hear more of your thoughts with more listening.

Now to find the AudioCircle thread everyone references with the mods to do a little more homework.
The clarity SIGNIFICANTLY increased so it is a mod I highly recommend. One thing you can try is getting only 2 or 4 opamps and you can leave some of the stock ones in. You may find that even switching one in each channel gives you ample improvement (and if you don't like it, your not in it for that much money). The Burr-brown's are generally the most recommended (and that is what I used), but some people have tried other ones with success.

Like you, I was very worried about introducing a background hiss. With the combination of my upgrade components there is none. I tried cranking the volume super high without playing anything and dead silence (that was a relief as I was worried about that as well).
Old 03-15-2012, 04:24 PM   #8
Special Member

Feb 2010
Columbia, MO

I think I just found the AudioCircle thread. I know you have already done your mods, but might be helpful for others looking to make some changes.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=62730.0

Here is another thread that has lots of info.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=344317
Old 03-15-2012, 04:35 PM   #9

Mar 2009
New Hampshire

Quote:
I think I just found the AudioCircle thread. I know you have already done your mods, but might be helpful for others looking to make some changes.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=62730.0

Here is another thread that has lots of info.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=344317
Yup, read those already.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:25 PM   #10
Special Member

Feb 2010
Columbia, MO

After reading both threads, I think I am going to go with 4 OPA637 and 2 LT1028's. I use the higher gain so the 637 seems to be a touch better. I figured I would stick with the op amp upgrade for now as it is universally accepted as an improvement (especially these specific op amps). After I give these a listen and depending on where I want to take the unit, I will look into caps. Caps seem to be the part that is the most subjective as opposed to the op amp upgrades are pretty standard across the board.